• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 46, 2016 (Nov 14 - Nov 20)

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Ōkami;225532325 said:
So, without Final Fantasy, series that will sell more than 1 million units during launch on consoles are Dragon Quest, and likely Splatoon, Pokémon and Monster Hunter if they turn into console series with Switch, with Animal Crossing probably doing it too.

I have a hard time time seeing Spatoon 2 hitting 1m at launch and I don't know at what level its popularity is right now comparing to its glory days.

Okay, I looked it up, and even despite Bloodborne being exclusive to PS4, Dark Souls 3 was still only a 70/30 split in favor of the PS4 in the US.

I think something like that would be the target suggesting some breakthrough with wider mainstream game players instead of just historical FF fans and Japanese game enthusiasts.

US is just a part of west. That split is more favorable for PS4.

Sun & Moon saved only Nintendo. Japan console market is still on decline.
Them move the games to handhelds, or at least make them multi platform.

I don't get this Sony/Square Enix crusade against handhelds in Japan.

Japanese gamers clearly want to game on handhelds, let them.

sanstesy

DQ XI is still a big deal. Should handily outsell FF XV on the PS4 unless the 3DS (or possibly the Switch version) somehow eats its lunch

Who in Japan would want to buy a PS4 for DQXI when probably everyone interested already has a 3DS?

The reason the PS4 version exists is to "attempt" growth in western markets and probably grab some of the audience Ni No Kuni got on the PS3, not to boost hardware sales of the PS4 in Japan (though I'm sure that is what Sony hopes).

Oregano

Them move the games to handhelds, or at least make them multi platform.

I don't get this Sony/Square Enix crusade against handhelds in Japan.

Japanese gamers clearly want to game on handhelds, let them.

Silly Sammy. Gamers are clearly going to want to go back to consoles once they're done with handhelds and mobiles.

Who in Japan would want to buy a PS4 for DQXI when probably everyone interested already have a 3DS?

The reason the PS4 version exists is to attempt growth in western markets, not to boost hardware sales of the PS4 in Japan.
That's what you think. There's definitely some kind of synergy between FF and DQ.

SE is dead set on using PS4 to revive console gaming in Japan, and DQ is one of their tools. Sony is obviously interested in this evil scheme as well.

FFXV is multiplatform.

Not in Japan.

Eolz

DQ XI is still a big deal. Should handily outsell FF XV on the PS4 unless the 3DS (or possibly the Switch version) somehow eats its lunch

"somehow"? It will eat its lunch.
I doubt it will outsell it on PS4 (in japan only obviously) really...

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Who in Japan would want to buy a PS4 for DQXI when probably everyone interested already has a 3DS?

The reason the PS4 version exists is to "attempt" growth in western markets and probably grab some of the audience Ni No Kuni got on the PS3, not to boost hardware sales of the PS4 in Japan (though I'm sure that is what Sony hopes).

"somehow"? It will eat its lunch.
I doubt it will outsell it on PS4 (in japan only obviously) really...

I didn't say it would outsell the 3DS version, I said it will outsell FF XV. Which it will, probably easily.

Ōkami

3DS version ordered and payed for that lunch though.
I have a hard time time seeing Spatoon 2 hitting 1m at launch and I don't know at what level its popularity is right now comparing to its glory days.
Well, the game is still pretty popular as it's still selling, if a Splatoon 2 came out on a platform people actually wanted with probably a sizeable ammount of its audience already on the platform (assuming rumoured enhanced port is a pack in) it might just be able to do it.

At least it could be pretty close, similar to how the two latest Smash Bros. games did.

Maniel

Banned
That's what you think. There's definitely some kind of synergy between FF and DQ.

SE is dead set on using PS4 to revive console gaming in Japan, and DQ is one of their tools.

Not in Japan.
We can see now that that is a fools errand. It will just end up hurting them more than helping.

sanstesy

SE is dead set on using PS4 to revive console gaming in Japan, and DQ is one of their tools.[/SPOILER]

Yeah, I edited that is what Sony is hoping for at least. Won't happen, though, especially if FFXV underperforms as hard as the predictions say.

dracula_x

Not in Japan.

in Japan too.

Week 48, 2016 (Nov 28 - Dec 4)

new releases

{2016.11.29}
[PS4] Final Fantasy XV # <RPG> (Square Enix) (¥8.800)
[PS4] Final Fantasy XV (1)(Deluxe Edition) <RPG> (Square Enix) (¥12.960)
[PS4] Final Fantasy XV (2)(Film Collections Box) <RPG> (Square Enix) (¥20.000)
[PS4] Final Fantasy XV (3)(Ultimate Collector's Edition) <RPG> (Square Enix) (¥32.407)
[PS4] Final Fantasy XV (4)(PlayStation 4 1TB Final Fantasy XV Luna Edition) <BUN> (Sony Interactive Entertainment) (¥39.980)
[PS4] Final Fantasy XV (&#949;) _PS Store Download Version_ |DL| # <RPG> (Square Enix) (¥8.800)
[PS4] Final Fantasy XV (&#949;) _PS Store Download Version_ |DL| (Digital Premium Edition) <RPG> (Square Enix) (¥11.300)
[XB1] Final Fantasy XV # <RPG> (Square Enix) (¥8.800)
[XB1] Final Fantasy XV (1)(Deluxe Edition) <RPG> (Square Enix) (¥12.960)
[XB1] Final Fantasy XV (2)(Film Collections Box) <RPG> (Square Enix) (¥20.000)
[XB1] Final Fantasy XV (3)(Ultimate Collector's Edition) <RPG> (Square Enix) (¥32.407)
[XB1] Final Fantasy XV (&#949;) _Download Version_ |DL| <RPG> (Square Enix) (¥8.800)
[XB1] The Crew: Calling All Units _Download Version_ |DL| <RCE> (Ubisoft) (¥3.000)
[XB1] The Crew: Ultimate Edition {The Crew \ The Crew: Wild Run \ The Crew: Calling All Units} _Download Version_ |DL| <RCE> (Ubisoft) (¥5.300)

random25

There's also Dragon Quest XI but that will be on 3DS and Switch so yeah pretty much :p.

Oh yeah I forgot about DQXI. The lack of news about it makes me forget lol.

If Switch version launches simultaneously with the others, hardware sales will possibly focus more on the newer one. I don't doubt the software sales, just that I'm not sure it can cause a momentum on PS4 sales if there's a competing platform that is either newer (Switch) or much more popular and cheaper (3DS).

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
I didn't say it would outsell the 3DS version, I said it will outsell FF XV. Which it will, probably easily.

DQXI is coming at 3DS (and Switch?). Even with only 3DS/PS4 versions how much do you think it will sell on PS4 since it will be so easy.

horuhe

When they say, not in Japan, you should know how much software moves One in Japan. Expecting more than 20k LTD is not near to a normal prediction.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr

US is just a part of west. That split is more favorable for PS4.
I don't think this suggests that the people who switched to PlayStation in Europe this generation are a prime FF15 target audience simply because they bought a PlayStation.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I don't think this suggests that the people who switched to PlayStation in Europe this generation are a prime FF15 target audience simply because they bought a PlayStation.

Final Fantasy fans bought a PS3 expecting the game to be on that platform exclusively.

Millions of people bought a 360 over a PS3, especially in the early and middle parts of last generation because it was a better deal and the lead platform on most games. The same reason why many went for the PS4 over the XBONE. Those same people are only casually interested in Final Fantasy. The only pickups there should be globally are those that bought the 360 version of a XIII series game because that was the platform they had and liked it enough to buy XV on their new console of choice, the PS4. This is a drop in the bucket and likely to be completely unnoticed.

Vena

I still believe Square Enix will somehow be able to ship 1 million units in Japan including digital, this way Square Enix PR team will have something to work with.

They could force larger shipments out, no? With incentives and such.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Witcher was an Xbox series since Witcher 2 never made it to PS3. So the sales being higher makes sense. It also had the marketing deal.

Final Fantasy fans bought a PS3 expecting the game to be on that platform exclusively.

Millions of people bought a 360 over a PS3, especially in the early and middle parts of last generation because it was a better deal and the lead platform on most games. The same reason why many went for the PS4 over the XBONE. Those same people are only casually interested in Final Fantasy. The only pickups there should be globally are those that bought the 360 version of a XIII series game because that was the platform they had and liked it enough to buy XV on their new console of choice, the PS4. This is a drop in the bucket and likely to be completely unnoticed.
This is what I mean though.

The Witcher 1 was PC exclusive.

The Witcher 2 was a PC game with a late, low selling Xbox 360 port.

The Witcher 3 was a gigantic, 10+ million selling hit with gigantic console sales, including the hardware brand it never released on before and didn't have a marketing deal with, and even saw a strong uptick in early PC sales.

Is anyone here expecting Final Fantasy XV to find notable new audiences among people who haven't previously bought Final Fantasy games?

I think that selling notably less in Japan suggests it's not doing that domestically. I think the Xbox version going nowhere in the US casts doubt on that in the US. It's not like it's going to sell on PC because it's not on the platform. We don't really have a barometer for Europe, unfortunately.

If it's going to make up Japanese declines, it's got to find some previously unengaged audience somewhere, or be hugely successful at regaining lost fans from 15+ years ago.

There are people i know who were never interested in final fantasy because of its turm based combat who are interested in XV. But that is probably off set by the fans that want it to be turn based.

Not gonna lie, im nervous for this game.

horuhe

If Square Enix is able to ship one million units, I'll be glad of posting pics about the game being cutpriced. Not lying here.

Being serious now, 900k to 950k should be the roof of the game.

Eolz

There are people i know who were never interested in final fantasy because of its turm based combat who are interested in XV. But that is probably off set by the fans that want it to be turn based.

Not gonna lie, im nervous for this game.

I think both offsets you've highlighted would cancel each other if there wasn't seemingly a drop in mainstream interest in this franchise compared to before. At least that's what I've seen both here and on various other places.

Why would you be nervous though? It's not the end of FF nor JRPGs. Hopefully S-E will ask themselves some serious questions though.

Oregano

Cool, Japanese market is not going down because POKEMON STAYS STRONG. Very convincing.

Is the Japanese market unique in that regard at this point, or was it just ahead of the curve?

The UK in particular seems to be heading in a similar direction.

I wonder why Bamco never did a Welcome Price release of Tales of Hearts R. They sold 15k of the re-release they did for Innocence R.

I also wonder why World Trigger is getting one when none of their previous Vita anime games have gotten them.

Still, outside of my little bubble of the Vita niche, weird to see FF cratering so much in Japan. I expect Resi VII to do much, much worse (in terms of % drop from previous entry) too.

Okay, I looked it up, and even despite Bloodborne being exclusive to PS4, Dark Souls 3 was still only a 70/30 split in favor of the PS4 in the US.

I think something like that would be the target suggesting some breakthrough with wider mainstream game players instead of just historical FF fans and Japanese game enthusiasts.

See, I question if that 70/30 is just due to fanbases being spread (over several entries) rather than a new audience being attracted on a different platform. Its tough to differentiate and so I think the easiest indicator of a breakthrough would be by looking at PS4 numbers.

This is what I mean though.

The Witcher 1 was PC exclusive.

The Witcher 2 was a PC game with a late, low selling Xbox 360 port.

The Witcher 3 was a gigantic, 10+ million selling hit with gigantic console sales, including the hardware brand it never released on before and didn't have a marketing deal with, and even saw a strong uptick in early PC sales.

Is anyone here expecting Final Fantasy XV to find notable new audiences among people who haven't previously bought Final Fantasy games?

I think that selling notably less in Japan suggests it's not doing that domestically. I think the Xbox version going nowhere in the US casts doubt on that in the US. It's not like it's going to sell on PC because it's not on the platform. We don't really have a barometer for Europe, unfortunately.

If it's going to make up Japanese declines, it's got to find some previously unengaged audience somewhere, or be hugely successful at regaining lost fans from 15+ years ago.

Do you know the split of console/PC for W3?

Is the Japanese market unique in that regard at this point, or was it just ahead of the curve?

The UK in particular seems to be heading in a similar direction.

I don't see why anyone would base market health on the performance of one title, let alone an outlier.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
I've lost the count how many games have underperformed these late months or this year at the healthy western market.

I've lost the count how many games have underperformed these late months or this year at the healthy western market.

Its not just this year, almost every ps4 game hits the low end of its projection. This market has been absolutely devastated, and it hurts knowing that its only going to get worse.

I love japanese games and i dont want them to go away or to be delegated to mobile games.

Takao

Banned
Imagine how "well" Dissidia is going to do on PS4.
Port. Handheld series. Final Fantasy. Fighting game.
RIP

MacTag

Banned
That won't even cover the marketing expenses. Let alone a decade of development.

Y'all best be prepared for XV-1, 2, 3.
I'm more prepared for (A) FFXVI handed to Eidos and going pure fantasy open world WRPG a la The Witcher/Elder Scrolls or (B) FFXVI on my iPhone.

No way, DQXI PS4 was clearly also intended to help drive Japanese PS4 sales and help build up the platform for FFXV and KH3 domestically. SE took an obvious throw-everything-at-it approach to PS4 to try and make it a success in Japan. Otherwise it wouldn't also be getting spinoffs like Heroes, Builders or Itadaki Street which are all doa in the west.

If it relied on western expansion alone then DQXI PS4 wouldn't be worth the development expense. As is DQVIII, DQIX and NNK all sold around the same already in the west.

dracula_x

Not that many it seems, at least in the US &#8211; http://venturebeat.com/2016/11/17/o...eld-mafia-and-gears-dominate-the-sales-chart/

Software sales:
Console software
October 2016: $505.7 million (up 31 percent YOY) October 2015: $384.8 million

PC software
October 2016: $33.8 million (up 172 percent YOY) October 2015: $12.4 million

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Then Japan is healthy too.

More serious subject: Anyone that has followed Miitopia news knows what's the deal with it, something like Tomodachi life or irrelevant tile?

Imagine how "well" Dissidia is going to do on PS4.
Port. Handheld series. Final Fantasy. Fighting game.
RIP

Aren't those fighting games ported to consoles just as side project/promotion of brand with most of cash done on arcades?

Or at least that's the only reason I can think of seeing stream of releases that sell <100k with BB or GG or other even more niche stuff.

Its not just this year, almost every ps4 game hits the low end of its projection. This market has been absolutely devastated, and it hurts knowing that its only going to get worse.

I love japanese games and i dont want them to go away or to be delegated to mobile games.

Which games are you talking about ?
As for FF things not look good and i had hope.
I guess that is what happen when you mess up your IP for so many years .

Don't see the west help saving this either since a boy band going across the country not going to cut it.
And with what i reading about FFXV it does nothing to help get the IP back on track in the west or Japan .

jnWake

So the big conclussion from all of this is that, indeed, Square shot themselves in the foot and FFXV is paying the price.

Top Bottom