• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 47, 2013 (Nov 18 - Nov 24)

Kyon

Banned
Different problems. This Mario was realeased on a platform that no one wants. There's your problem.

If they released 3D World on 3DS, you could bet your ass that it would be a huge success.

Isn't 3DW an HD port with some extras of 3DLand tho? So technically you're already right

Yowza, I definitely expected the Wii U to do a bit better. I'm one of those Wii U owners in Japan but I didn't buy Mario either. I thought it would make a good Christmas gift so I'm waiting until then. I doubt the rest of Japan is the same though.

I don't think so. At all. And MH would sell well regardless of graphics.

Neither do I, but I was going by your own set criteria for what constitutes "proper", so you're disagreeing with yourself, or you didn't make yourself clear enough. Eitherway, I wish not to go off-topic. MH4 is being received well, that's all that matters in the context of this thread.

Isn't 3DW an HD port with some extras of 3DLand tho? So technically you're already right
smh.

It isn't.

Are we now playing that game where we project WiiU's abysmal sales as representative of the entire console industry?
Surely the people who did that earlier this year have learnt their lessons after the record breaking PS4 and largest ever Xbox releases.

The Wii U is undesirable and it will not recover anywhere. PS4 does not face the same issue in Japan. PS3 will reach 10m and with 12m Wii sales for the generation there are console buyers out there. Even a reduction in the home console market by a third will leave 14m potential sales, a 40% increase on PS3.

It is now up to Sony to convince third parties that they should move over to PS4 development to capitalise on a growing western installed base with much less competition for sales and with a larger proportion of hardcore buyers who will beore interested in Japanese titles.

They also need to seriously restructure their first party development. Puppeteer should have been a PS4 launch title for Japan to be released in Feb. It was wasted on PS3.

watershed

Banned
The drop on Vita TV is kind of incredible. I guess its now even more dead than the Vita itself.

Awful for Mario, I wonder how it will sell thru the holidays.

GCN before Sunshine: 8.242
GCN Sunshine Launch: 31.750

Wii before Galaxy: 34.766
Wii Galaxy Launch: 40.836

Wii before Galaxy 2: 17.870
Wii Galaxy 2 Launch: 21.304

Wii U before 3D World: 14.006
Wii U 3D World Launch: 20.177

Famitsu

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Apologies if posted, but I think a big factor for SM3D World is that this is the 4th Mario platformer to come out in 2 years, PLUS every single Wii U console sold right now comes with NSMB U. Obviously userbase is a big factor,but it goes beyond userbase when Pikmin 3 does just as well.

I think this is even more pronounced in Japan, where 3DS is the dominant platform and has seen 2 Mario platformers release. If it hasn't occurred to them now, I would hope Nintendo realizes that the lines between console and handheld are more blurred than ever, and Wii U sequels to 3DS titles are just not going to make the impact they want.

BadWolf

FF is not that strong anymore, as seen by this weeks sales. I wouldn't count that to sell units long term in Japan.

FF is still strong, look at the success the new FF14 is receiving. And that's after a horrible first version of the game.

FFXIII hasn't exactly been popular to begin with and LR is just another entry for it.

The real test will be FFXV I think.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!

Ok, now I'm taking it as an offense. :lol

EDIT: Ah, you were joking, sorry "sis" XD

Interfectum

Herein lies a problem. As evidenced by Mario's less than stellar sales, people are really caring more about graphics than gameplay. Mario is, according to nearly everyone who played it, one of the greatest games they have played in a long while, yet it will be shunned. Why? It's a great game...it's just not the current cinematic stuff that floods the industry.

No.

Mario's problem is the Wii U. Either no one wants it or no one trusts it will get much support. I really want to play Mario but I literally have no other reason to get that system. I imagine there are a lot of people in the same boat as me.

Xater

I think the biggest damage inflicted on the WiiU is that there is no reason for anyone to really get a WiiU, even if you're a Nintendo fan. The 3DS library is sufficient for most people, and we talk about the biggest mainstream titles on the WiiU - 2D Mario, 3D Mario, Mario Kart, and Smash Brothers.... guess what? Nintendo is offering all those experiences on the 3DS too, sometimes before it even hits the WiiU. It's really hard to build any sort of audience on a home console when everything people would want to play with it are available elsewhere on a system with more support from other developments, and there's nothing really unique or outstanding on the system itself.

Yeah you can get all the Nintendo goodness on the 3DS and even for cheaper. Their console also being lackluster from a hardware standpoint and the lack of 3rd party support don't help either. I wouldn't expect a big sales jump in the west from 3D World either, especially not with these two new consoles doing so well at launch.

Copenap

Why are people in here so down on VitaTV? I guess I had just different expectations but the way I see it these numbers are ok for a niche device like VitaTV. If it keeps adding ~30% to the Vita sales I would be quite ok with that.

Mario amd the WiiU on the other hand... Makes me kinda sad. That together with the other bombas I guess there's only one rational explanation every Nintendo fan has to realise and admit... HEAT WAVE!!!!

Herein lies a problem. As evidenced by Mario's less than stellar sales, people are really caring more about graphics than gameplay. Mario is, according to nearly everyone who played it, one of the greatest games they have played in a long while, yet it will be shunned. Why? It's a great game...it's just not the current cinematic stuff that floods the industry.

Stop.

Just. Stop.

If that assertion was even remotely true, The 3DS would be in just as bad a position as the Vita.

The Market just fundementally do not want the WiiU. It is that simple. Even worse, the WiiU base dont buy many retail games, even big ones.

Replicant

didn't Wii Party U and Wii Fit U came out already?

Welp! I'll update the blackboard then.

nljIHxM.png

Was there a heatwave or something this week?
Think somebody last week mentioned a coldsnap, actually.

A lot of posts in this thread are definitely giving me an extreme sense of déjà vu with the Vita around last year. Remember that chalkboard with [???] will save Vita? Same thing happening now...

Compared to the same point last year Vita is doing better, but still not healthy. And it wasn't ever a single item on the chalkboard that magically set a new baseline, it was a combination of factors.

What Wii U needs is multiple strong selling points. It has a few coming in the near and distant future, but there needs to be more.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
serious question (thread worhty?): will Nintendo still support the Wii U after the release of the already announced (and at least partially developed) games in 2014?

or will they discontinue it, trying to push even harder the 3DS (and its bigger profits/margins), shifting directly to a brand new different hardware for the home segment (pure home, or the infamous hybrid that someone anticipated)?

despite the release of other crucial games and the space for price cuts, I don't see any chance for a turning point for this console.

crinale

The problem for WiiU is that it is better choice business wise for Nintendo to introduce "big guns" to 3DS first, then treat WiiU with less priority. However by doing this they're giving less and less chance to WiiU to flourish.
Same goes to Sony as they treat Vita (especially in Western market). They've made up their mind as soon as Vita didn't take off, and spent their cash on PS4. Of course it sounds very sane logically, but sucks to Vita owners (like myself :(

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
There's one HD remake...Zelda. The rest are new iterations of existing franchises, and new franchises..

You say that but New Super Mario Bros U and Pikmin both look like HD remakes. I know a lot of Nintendo fans could point out the differences but to the general gaming public, that's exactly what they look like.

The updated Wii Sports also looks like one of the laziest HD ports ever and yet Nintendo are still charging a premium price for it.

People are fed up with it. And this time they have decided to vote with their wallet.

Wii U is too damn expensive. Drop it to $250, hell even $199 would be preferable.

It wouldn't matter. Folks are simply not interested in what Nintendo has to offer in the console space.

Why are people in here so down on VitaTV? I guess I had just different expectations but the way I see it these numbers are ok for a niche device like VitaTV. If it keeps adding ~30% to the Vita sales I would be quite ok with that.

It won't unless Vita proper sales go down the toilet. It's trajectory is worse than psp go.

spliced

Historically, 2D Mario has always been more popular. But we're talking about multiple hardware platforms(Wii U, PS3, Vita). Japan is not healthy at all.

True, I just want to see the franchise stay really strong and to see the developers rewarded for making such great games.

Maedhros

For Vita TV, they need to improve the compatibility list already. Like, fast. I still think it's a product that can sell well for it's price.

As far as I know, the marteting for it, besides the big events, was almost 0. Just some youtube videos and that's about it.

Xater

Think somebody last week mentioned a coldsnap, actually.

A lot of posts in this thread are definitely giving me an extreme sense of déjà vu with the Vita around last year. Remember that chalkboard with [???] will save Vita? Same thing happening now...

Compared to the same point last year Vita is doing better, but still not healthy. And it wasn't ever a single item on the chalkboard that magically set a new baseline, it was a combination of factors.

What Wii U needs is multiple strong selling points. It has a few coming in the near and distant future, but there needs to be more.

Everything is too far off in the future. You can't build momentum like that by drip feeding titles. If they had let's say 3 heavy hitters this christmas then there might be more buyers. Audiences have diverse tastes and not everyone might care for that one title you are putting out.

Surely the people who did that earlier this year have learnt their lessons after the record breaking PS4 and largest ever Xbox releases.

The Wii U is undesirable and it will not recover anywhere. PS4 does not face the same issue in Japan. PS3 will reach 10m and with 12m Wii sales for the generation there are console buyers out there. Even a reduction in the home console market by a third will leave 14m potential sales, a 40% increase on PS3.

It is now up to Sony to convince third parties that they should move over to PS4 development to capitalise on a growing western installed base with much less competition for sales and with a larger proportion of hardcore buyers who will beore interested in Japanese titles.

They also need to seriously restructure their first party development. Puppeteer should have been a PS4 launch title for Japan to be released in Feb. It was wasted on PS3.

I know right. You would think they would learn. Its common sense. In very few cases does one product's sales ever represent the entire industries fate.

Personally I see no reason for PS4 to perform worse than PS3. It has all the same big hitters, less competition, seems the big hitters are coming sooner in its life cycle and it has a lower price.

Okay so who's left besides the 3DS and PS3 (give or take)?

The Xbox?

3DS, PS4 and PS3 (for a year more). This gen we had DS,PSP,Wii and PS3 but it seems Sony's handheld sector flopped and Nintendo's home console sector flopped.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Yeah you can get all the Nintendo goodness on the 3DS and even for cheaper. Their console also being lackluster from a hardware standpoint and the lack of 3rd party support don't help either. I wouldn't expect a big sales jump in the west from 3D World either, especially not with these two new consoles doing so well at launch.

Bingo, both your post and duckroll's. Wii U's unique selling point was the game pad, which failed to resonate, leaving you with a system that at first glance looks like it is merely releasing 3DS sequels.

Top Bottom