• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 47, 2013 (Nov 18 - Nov 24)

Kyon

Banned
Perfo, Lukkyk, Shinta. Hope you guys are OK.

The trinity of Lightning is not looking good right now :(

Oh they'll be alright till December 26th
z63MU.gif

EDarkness

True, I just want to see the franchise stay really strong and to see the developers rewarded for making such great games.

I think they need to really define what the Wii U is about and stop with the 3DS/Wii U versions of the same game. Let the Wii U have it's own series and the 3DS have something completely different. I think we'll probably see the same sort of thing once Smash Brothers comes out. Especially if it's pretty much the same game on the 3DS as the Wii U. Just seems like a bad strategy, in my opinion.

Taker666

I thought Wii U would do about 20k (based on how low the hardware was charting on amazon jp)..

..but I expected 3D World sales to beat 100k.

They should have done a Mario 3D World bundle. They should have dropped the Wii U price (not increased it and bundled more stuff people don't really want).

Maybe the move closer to the 3D Land style was a mistake (although I guess we'll see how well Mario 3D World does over the coming weeks).

An epic ,single player, Mario adventure may well have been the way to go. Casual fans don't seem to need/want sequels to Wii/3DS titles (pretty much all of those have been a pale shadow of the sales of previous titles..see Wii Party U, Brain Training 3, Nintendogs+cats..and I suspect Wii Fit U)..core fans want something they feel is designed specifically for them.

Nintendo need fresh ideas for the casual market, more typical core game designs for core Nintendo fans.

royalan

Apologies if posted, but I think a big factor for SM3D World is that this is the 4th Mario platformer to come out in 2 years, PLUS every single Wii U console sold right now comes with NSMB U. Obviously userbase is a big factor,but it goes beyond userbase when Pikmin 3 does just as well.

I think this is even more pronounced in Japan, where 3DS is the dominant platform and has seen 2 Mario platformers release. If it hasn't occurred to them now, I would hope Nintendo realizes that the lines between console and handheld are more blurred than ever, and Wii U sequels to 3DS titles are just not going to make the impact they want.

I agree with with this.

Nintendo can cover their ears all they want about the strength of their franchises, but they are literally spamming Mario to death at this point. The power of the brand is collapsing on itself. Mario doesn't feel special anymore, now does it command the same attention.

Nintendo really needs to back of Mario for a good long while.

Petrae

Mario's problem is the Wii U. Either no one wants it or no one trusts it will get much support. I really want to play Mario but I literally have no other reason to get that system. I imagine there are a lot of people in the same boat as me.

Right there with you.

Sure, I'd be interested in playing 3D World, but it's literally the only WiiU game that interests me. I'm not willing to drop 300 bones (plus the cost of the game) for one game.

If 3D World was a 3DS game-- although 3D Land already exists-- I'd likely buy it.

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
GCN before Sunshine: 8.242
GCN Sunshine Launch: 31.750

Wii before Galaxy: 34.766
Wii Galaxy Launch: 40.836

Wii before Galaxy 2: 17.870
Wii Galaxy 2 Launch: 21.304

Wii U before 3D World: 14.006
Wii U 3D World Launch: 20.177

Famitsu

Thanks for this. Puts the 3D World sales in perspective. I expected more but it seems a sales boost of ~6000 is all you can expect from a 3D Mario game in recent years.

For the 3DS right? If it is for the Wii U, it will also bomb.

And on that note, though it is a joke, they should try to take a bigger break from 3D Mario games.

I own 2 3DS and I wish that thing did not exist

it sure does not help the home console at all. Best Zelda ever just came out with crap looking LINK :p

Super Mario Galaxy 3 is coming I still have hope

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
What? Both WiiU and Vita are dead systems. They are not really representative of the entire Japanese gaming industry.

So far this generation: PSP collapsed into Vita, Wii collapsed into Wii U, DS collapsed slightly more elegantly into 3DS, as for MS there's not much to collapse.

I'm not too optimistic for the PS4 over there to be honest.

Kouriozan

serious question (thread worhty?): will Nintendo still support the Wii U after the release of the already announced (and at least partially developed) games in 2014?

or will they discontinue it, trying to push even harder the 3DS (and its bigger profits/margins), shifting directly to a brand new different hardware for the home segment (pure home, or the infamous hybrid that someone anticipated)?

despite the release of other crucial games and the space for price cuts, I don't see any chance for a turning point for this console.

If they intend to release another home console next gen, they'll still support it.

Sendou

For the 3DS right? If it is for the Wii U, it will also bomb.

And on that note, though it is a joke, they should try to take a bigger break from 3D Mario games.

Truer words have never been spoken! Now is the tim to let EAD Tokyo get all creative. They have to make do with Wii U for few more years now. Might as well make most of it. New IP's are what I want to see. Build the foundation for future platforms to be successes.

No Mario! Spin-offs are fine but seriously give the plumber a break until the handheld/home console hybrid Nintendo U(ltimate) or something.

DaBoss

For Vita TV, they need to improve the compatibility list already. Like, fast. I still think it's a product that can sell well for it's price.

As far as I know, the marteting for it, besides the big events, was almost 0. Just some youtube videos and that's about it.
You mean advertising. :p

Though I seriously think the Vita TV is not really suited for Japan, but more for the west where it will be the PS4 streaming box.
Man, I just wanted to say that camera control would be a bit iffy on 3DS ;_;
On an unrelated note, I was watching a Let's Play of Super Mario 64 DS since I never played it and man the controls look suck-ish. I hope they re-release it on another platform with 2 sticks.
the japanese gaming industry is very healthy

but you're not going to see that in mc threads

mIYtsHU.gif

whooooo
lmao

*cries*

Kid Ying

Surely the people who did that earlier this year have learnt their lessons after the record breaking PS4 and largest ever Xbox releases.

The Wii U is undesirable and it will not recover anywhere. PS4 does not face the same issue in Japan. PS3 will reach 10m and with 12m Wii sales for the generation there are console buyers out there. Even a reduction in the home console market by a third will leave 14m potential sales, a 40% increase on PS3.

It is now up to Sony to convince third parties that they should move over to PS4 development to capitalise on a growing western installed base with much less competition for sales and with a larger proportion of hardcore buyers who will beore interested in Japanese titles.

They also need to seriously restructure their first party development. Puppeteer should have been a PS4 launch title for Japan to be released in Feb. It was wasted on PS3.
I disagree with this notion because it means that there are people waiting for a console and that the PS4 would eat that pie. There's a fairly chance some people don't want another, as it just shows on the DS/PSP to 3DS/VITA. Some might say it's just handhelds, but the console market was already smaller than it was on the PS2 times. There's no kind of measure to see how much the market was affected with time.

Also, with the market shrinking year by year where mobile is growing, it will be hard for the console manufacturers to gather more interest on their platforms.

I think the PS4 will have better sales than the Wiiu, but i don't think it's going to eat the wii former market at all.

Famitsu

So why did Iwata believe he could sell 9 million additional Wii U's by March 2014 with 3D World? Nintendo expected big things out of 3D World, far more than the previous 3D Mario titles.

spliced

I think they need to really define what the Wii U is about and stop with the 3DS/Wii U versions of the same game. Let the Wii U have it's own series and the 3DS have something completely different. I think we'll probably see the same sort of thing once Smash Brothers comes out. Especially if it's pretty much the same game on the 3DS as the Wii U. Just seems like a bad strategy, in my opinion.

I think you're right. It doesn't really bother me that much but I do see a lot of complaints that stem from them doing this.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
So why did Iwata believe he could sell 9 million additional Wii U's by March 2014 with 3D World? Nintendo expected big things out of 3D World, far more than the previous 3D Mario titles.

Because he is a deluded incompetent who should take responsibility of his failure and step down.

crinale

Because that's only way to meat financial forecast made beginning of FY 2013.

I guess there are limits to how much software can prop up hardware. The Wii U is an unappealing product that's being rejected out of the market. Too little too late Iwata.

I don't think that he proclaimed 3D World as the main reason.

9.000.000 hardware units are impossible nonetheless.

Funnily enough, they could reach 80% - 90% of their software goals, depending on the holiday performance.

Metallix87

I agree with with this.

Nintendo can cover their ears all they want about the strength of their franchises, but they are literally spamming Mario to death at this point. The power of the brand is collapsing on itself. Mario doesn't feel special anymore, now does it command the same attention.

Nintendo really needs to back of Mario for a good long while.
I agree. Fige years with no Mario platforms would do wonders for the IP. Nintendo can use DK, Kirby, and Yoshi until then.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
I still think Christmas and the week after will see some nice sales for the WiiU. People are actually talking about it now (not just us talking about how dead it is).

I teach Japanese kids. Kids want it. They will buy it with their New Years money. That and 3DS games.

Now those sales could generate good word of mouth and bring about other sales... or it could fall back off a cliff come the second week of January.

But I remain cautiously (stupidly?) optimistic. The WiiU is being talked about in a positive light for the first time since launch. I do Christmas lessons every year and we have kids write letters to santa. In these letters it is the second most requested item (3DS game in first place and smartphones a close 3rd).

I could be delusional. But I think while the hardcore gamer at this point has shunned the system, the kids and families will pick one up over the holidays.

Mario 3D World.. that is sadly another story. Only a few kids wanted this from Santa. Far more wanted the 2D one. Yeah. That game that came out LAST Christmas. I have no idea on this one, that game seemed to be custom made for Japan. Cute cat suits, lots of colors, non vomit inducing 3D.. I have lived here for 10 years but sometimes (read: most of the time) I just don't get Japan.

Question for you- what games are the kids talking about getting if they aren't interested in SM3D World? I'm confused what would get them excited about the system right now if SM3D World isn't it.

Sendou

He didn't. You can say Iwata is many things but stupid is not one of them. I just want to know what made him make such a big lie.

3D World just might have a bigger impact outside of Japan though. First of all I think Japan is about the only region where NSMB2 sold more than 3D Land. Am I wrong here? Besides look at all the positive buzz 3D World got pretty much everywhere. I refuse to believe that all will go to waste.

Zalman

Famitsu
~5k 3D Mario fans in Japan confirmed

DrWong

So why did Iwata believe he could sell 9 million additional Wii U's by March 2014 with 3D World?

Iwata just want to troll you. Yes, just you.

Bad numbers, was expecting +150K for SM3DW. That said, the hardware boost, while deceptive, seems to be in line with the latest 3D Mario. We'll see if it has legs now.

I think at this point some people around here would expect even a Full POKEMON RPG to fail on Wii U

I am starting to have doubts myself, I really wonder where this thing is headed

NeonZ

Didn't 3d Land outperform NSMB2? I guess he expected something similar here. Those are also Japanese numbers, historically the worst territory for 3d Mario. Either way, the 9 million were never realistic...

Time to scratch another one off the Wii U chalkboard and move the goalposts in front of Donkey Kong or Mario Kart or whichever mascot is next up to bat.

Petrae

Yeah you can get all the Nintendo goodness on the 3DS and even for cheaper.

Indeed.

Want a Mario game? 3DS has one.
Want a Mario Kart game? 3DS version is out already.
Want a Super Smash Bros. game? It's coming for 3DS.
Want a Zelda game? 3DS has a new one that's pretty good.

And, here in the USA, anyway, consumers can get a 2DS, 3D Land, Mario Kart, and Zelda combined for less than the initial cost of the WiiU hardware.

Nintendo will still make its money, just not on the console side. 3DS delivers a quality Nintendo experience for less money and its portability means that you can enjoy it anywhere.

Tom_Cody

Famitsu
Wow, that really puts things in perspective. So it's more that 3DW was never going to make a difference.

Famitsu

On second thought, that puts things into perspective. We also don't know digital sales. Might be better to wait on Nintendos PR to get the dealio. This should be put into OP

DaBoss

I own 2 3DS and I wish that thing did not exist

it sure does not help the home console at all. Best Zelda ever just came out with crap looking LINK :p

Super Mario Galaxy 3 is coming I still have hope
Why would you want the only successful platform for Nintendo right now to not exist? That won't magically make the Wii U an appealing product, though it may make the software available for it more appealing due to the fact that they won't share games.

Did Nintendo really expect 3D world to save the wii u when it already has a 2D Mario game, a game that sold much much more on the Wii? (NSMBWii compared to Galaxy)

Top Bottom