• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 48, 2011 (Nov 28 - Dec 04)

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Very front-loaded. Clearly it won't sell much more than 300K units in the coming weeks.

As for 3DS hardware sales ...
*It prints 3D money*

Yeah, otherwise it'll go over the unbreakable 800k barrier.
And that would be UNACCEPTABLE!!!

Great numbers indeed.
So it seems shipment numbers were roughly true, and now the game is almost sold-out. I wonder how the second week will be.. Something around 200k?

Celine

Was thinking that maybe this could be the first case where the first million seller on a Nintendo system is by a third-party.
Just depend on how well it will continue to sell and how fast selling are Mario 3D Land/Kart 7.

Thank you! I was thinking it was around 280k odd, couldn't remember exactly.

Great numbers indeed.
So it seems shipment numbers were roughly true, and now the game is almost sold-out. I wonder how the second week will be.. Something around 200k?

Well if it's supply constrained then the sky's the limit...
So it'll do 300k next week and then never sell another copy again

Well if it's supply constrained then the sky's the limit...
So it'll do 300k and never sell another copy again

If it moves similarly to what the two previous Monster Hunter did, so it can do very good numbers in the next weeks and hold nicely, but if it follows Monster Hunter 3 we will see a sharp drop; anyway, it all depends on the supply it seems: on Wii there were copies everywhere, for Portable 3rd I remember similar problems of sold-outs.

beril

Was thinking that maybe this could be the first case where the first million seller on a Nintendo system is from a third-party.
Just depend on how well it will continue to sell and how fast selling are Mario 3D Land/Kart 7.

probably won't be possible with the supply constrain. it might reach a million the same week as Mario Kart

It did, but you shouldn't mix trackers

DSL 374,689
DS 779

Whoops, sorry didn't notice I was mixing MC with Famitsu!

BTW, it seems that the 3DS has outdone every single (Famitsu) week 49 that the DS ever did!

2004: 181,231 (DS)

2005: 295,701 (DS)

2006: 375,468 (DSL+DS)

2007: 164,576 (DSL)

2008: 126,596 (DSi+DSL)

2009: 113,052 (DSi+DSiXL+DSL)

2010: 106,633 (DSi+DSiXL+DSL)

But I think that to outperform the almost 600k DS did at the end of 2005, 3DS will need something more than a momentum.

Well it does have Inazuma Eleven Go and SD Gundam G Generation 3D left to go for December. Combine that with MH3G's next few weeks (especially with it being supply constrained), the new adverts for the 3DS' video recording/December update and SM3DL/MK7's continuing sales and it may just about tip the balance in the 3DS' favour!

Ydahs

Four million YTD incoming? I can still remember people saying it has no chance of selling anywhere near that amount.

Predictions

edit; woops, was confused about the deadline, reserved for future predictions(last minute for the wins

3DS] Nintendo 3DS Hardware (Nintendo) - 401,231
[3DS] Inazuma Eleven Go: Shine/Dark (Level 5) - 163.432
[PS3] PlayStation 3 Hardware (SCE) - 83.543
[PS3] Final Fantasy XIII-2 (Square Enix) - 665,566
[PSV] Playstation Vita Hardware (SCE) - 311,312
[PSV] Minna no Golf 6 (Hot Shots Golf) (SCE) - 74.534
[PSV] Uncharted: Golden Abyss (SCE) - 46.842
[PSV] Dynasty Warriors Next (Koei Tecmo) - 37.534

Road

No idea.

The 500k number you saw is probably the number of 3G units that will come with 100 hours of free 3G. Those could be shipped in the first week or in the first 3 months, we don't know.

extralite

Based on... what? Do you believe it isn't generally true that games perform worse as a result of how their predecessors were received? (In that case, your presumptions are just wrong.) Or do you believe that Tales is unusually resilient against this effect, even though Tempest is an almost unprecedentedly bad "effort"? (In that case, I think you need to spell out your argument a little better than just "I don't buy it.")
Based on the sales being in the same range as 360 and Wii Tales. Also you gave the reason of graphic fidelity yourself and I just think that's a better argument here. Salted ground = possible, but unlikely with the kind of informed fans the series has. Of course I dont have proof for this but you don't have proof for the salted ground one either.
This is an awful comparison. It's on a different platform, at a completely different time in that platform's life (i.e. at the start of a generation, when new IP has always been the most successful); it was a first-party title on a new system that was aggressively seeking to win marketshare (with the attendant marketing benefits that implies); it included technological advances (like orchestral music and video sequences) that were still huge selling points at the time of its release.

Like, seriously, this comparison is so bad.
Arc the Lad was a new IP that succeeded. Two reasons: it wasn't obscenely expensive as cartridge RPGs which puts off potential buyers willing to try. And of course it was the first game to appeal to RPG buyers on the platform. Anyway, if Tales had been a new IP on PS rather than on SNES it might have gotten the PS sales anyway. What did hold it back was most likely the cartridge price.
I haven't really delved into cause but a pattern will hold unless there will be significant impact to change it.

For now the pattern is like this: Sony platforms of every generation had a high amount of Tales fans. Other consoles had significantly lower number of Tales fans/buyers. GC is the high point after the low SNES one. After that sales on non-Sony platforms declined compared to GC Symphonia. There have been ups and downs with the 360 one getting very low sales despite high graphic fidelity bu overall Tales has hit 200 000 this generation after 300 000 on GC.

It's save to say that the majority of Tales fans, since most of them started on PS1, favor Playstation and no other platform maker has yet been able to win them over.
Your intense unwillingness to compare apples to apples here is irksome. The DS is quite straightforwardly the best performer for RPGs in Japan (12 RPGs above 1m LTD, another 8 above 500,000) amongst its class (DS/PSP/PS3/360/Wii). Its software successes are unambiguous and your comparison poins on individual franchises are selectively chosen to prove your point -- saying DQ "does well everywhere" (even though it performed far better on DS overall than it did on PS2) then turning around and citing minor 50k wobbles in minor franchise performance as proof positive of Playstation superiority.
[/quote]
I was comparing DS to PS1 and PS2 (which the DS didn't live up to) and to SNES (which still did better thanks to more multi million sellers). Yes, the DS is the strongest RPG platform of its gen, so was the SNES, but the PS1 and PS2 still did significantly better. BTW, DQIX didn't just sell better than the PS2 one but also better than any previous DQ so it's a moot point. The only one to come close is DQVII on PS1 though which shows that DQ did also do well on Playstation. Not really much of an edge here for DS. DS simply got more DQ games than PS1 and 2 combined which contributes a lot to the high but still not as high as PS1/2 hit game count.

So my point still holds: DS RPG success is 1/2 DQ success. FF did a lot worse than on previous consoles which could be attributed to its handheld low graphic fidelity and to remakes/spin offs but then the main FFs are missing which hurts DS compared to PS1 and PS2. Tales did really bad. Other big IPs were non shows and new IPs were numerous but most of the time unspectacular especially compared to PS1.

Just to put all this into perspective, going by my personal taste I favor Nintendo over Sony and I played and enjoyed more RPGs on DS than on PS1/2/3. But going by sales DS is not the RPG powerhouse it's made out to be if you compare it to previous gens.

The PS3 doing badly is due to it being so expensive but it will catch up a little, as we're already seeing. Ni no Kuni isn't really a good example as it appeals to a family audience which will boost the DS version even without it being one year early and more affordable.

Awesome thanks. 9 seems super low for an entire generation, definitely not even close to past ones. I mean, even the PS3 is gonna have more than 9 by the end, right?

PS3 has exactly two RPGs above 500,000 (a worse score on this particular metric than the PSP) and will get its third when XIII-2 comes out. (Add one to this if Xillia got over 500k and I just remember wrongly.) PS3 has exactly one 1m+ RPG now (as compared to zero on the three remaining platforms) and will never have more than 3.

So yeah, even if you weed out remakes and first-party titles (the first half of that is kind of a silly restriction IMO -- remakes tend to sell less well than new entries in the same franchise, so 1m+ remakes actually speak to a platform's strength for a specific genre) DS was still handily stronger than all of its competition combined in the RPG genre.

Based on the sales being in the same range as 360 and Wii Tales. Also you gave the reason of graphic fidelity yourself and I just think that's a better argument here. Salted ground = possible, but unlikely with the kind of informed fans the series has. Of course I dont have proof for this but you don't have proof for the salted ground one either.

Well, part of the proof is that it's a more or less universal principle of sales that previous title reception affects the current title's sales. Like I've said, it's very possible that the ceiling started out low on DS because of the presentation issue and so the salted-earth effect only really made the difference between, say, a 320k Hearts and a 200k one.

Anyway, if Tales had been a new IP on PS rather than on SNES it might have gotten the PS sales anyway. What did hold it back was most likely the cartridge price.

Sure, I agree with that, it just doesn't have anything to do with Sony vs. Nintendo. Launching a new IP on a hot new, visually spectacular system without the burden of cartridge costs and late-generation buyer fatigue is an obviously superior choice, yes. We saw new IPs take off on SNES the same way back in the day, and Level-5 was able to replicate something very similar to SE's performance on PS1 by launching a ton of wildly successful new IPs on DS.

It's save to say that the majority of Tales fans, since most of them started on PS1, favor Playstation and no other platform maker has yet been able to win them over.

Again, my issue here is considering "Sony" to be the determining factor here rather than the qualities which Sony systems have heretofore shared. I don't believe that Tales would carry over well to an underpowered Sony system, for example, or one that was DD-only.

If the argument is "Sony have produced the systems and software lineups that best line up with the needs of core hobbyists in Japan" I wouldn't really disagree; the PS3's late-period success in Japan is entirely built on plugging away at parts of the software ecosystem that worked well for them on PS2 and which were drastically underserved by the Wii. That's a question of what qualities cause a system to succeed with a specific market, though, not a question of the name on the box.

BTW, DQIX didn't just sell better than the PS2 one but also better than any previous DQ so it's a moot point.

Errr... whut? "The DS had the best selling DQ of all time -- so it doesn't count!" That's moronic.

The only one to come close is DQVII on PS1 though which shows that DQ did also do well on Playstation.

I never argued that it did. DQ certainly did do well on Playstation as well, probably because -- I know this is a shocking idea -- franchises that are strong on their own merits tend to do well on any platform that can deliver a compelling entry. (This is kind of the core of my thesis in case you missed that.)

The rest of this is all just cherry-picking again. DQ went up on DS so it "doesn't count," FF went down on DS so it reflects badly on the system despite a general franchise decline across all platforms. You dock the system points for IPs that were never released on it but ignore Level 5 creating a new million-selling IP on the platform.

There's certainly nuanced arguments to be made about the strength of the DS as a platform for certain types of content (duckroll and I have gone at it at length about the relative performance of various niche DS releases in the past), but the idea that there's this categorical gulf that makes the DS more comparable to the SNES than the PS2 is nonsense.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Whatever bro, RANDOM BATTLES and EXPERIENCE and PRE-RENDERED BACKGROUNDS, gotta love it.

Anyways I went to garaph for the first time and it was pretty useful, seems like there's way less 500K+ on PS2 than I assumed, kinda making me wonder about PSX too now.

Whatever? So you insist that Yakuza in an rpg?
LOL

extralite

Well, part of the proof is that it's a more or less universal principle of sales that previous title reception affects the current title's sales. Like I've said, it's very possible that the ceiling started out low on DS because of the presentation issue and so the salted-earth effect only really made the difference between, say, a 320k Hearts and a 200k one.
Even then it would just have been even with Symphonia. Xilia crossed 600 000 pretty quickly btw and some people even expected it to do up to 800 000 but it didn't have any legs to speak of. Basically Tales fans waited for the PS3 exclusive one to come out. The best another system can do is half of the best Sony entry. And if it gets ported it will do as good or better on PS. True for Symphonia, Vesperia and Graces. So the most a system could steal by being first was half. And Namco porting the games late doesn't give the remaining half a reason to bite with the next one.
Sure, I agree with that, it just doesn't have anything to do with Sony vs. Nintendo. Launching a new IP on a hot new, visually spectacular system without the burden of cartridge costs and late-generation buyer fatigue is an obviously superior choice, yes. We saw new IPs take off on SNES the same way back in the day, and Level-5 was able to replicate something very similar to SE's performance on PS1 by launching a ton of wildly successful new IPs on DS.
Back then, Sony = CDs and Nintendo = cartridges. Even if it's not an important price factor nowadays the PS made the RPG boom beyond the big gun releases on SNES possible in the first place. The "cause" for the Sony preference originates here. You could call it coincidence, but once established this preference didn't change after that. And I hardly see it changing unless something very drastic happens.
Errr... whut? "The DS had the best selling DQ of all time -- so it doesn't count!" That's moronic.
It does count of course but as a series, despite minor set backs, it just keeps increasing. Through I to IV it increased, minor set back with V (helped its remakes though), VI and VII increased again, minor set back with VIII (PS2 already too exensive, they repeated that mistake much worse with the PS3). So it can't just be attributed to the DS. Like you say as well it will sell well wherever it goes and Enix just choose the leading hardware usually to not cap the sales low.
The rest of this is all just cherry-picking again. DQ went up on DS so it "doesn't count," FF went down on DS so it reflects badly on the system despite a general franchise decline across all platforms. You dock the system points for IPs that were never released on it but ignore Level 5 creating a new million-selling IP on the platform.
I'm talking specifically about RPGs.
There's certainly nuanced arguments to be made about the strength of the DS as a platform for certain types of content (duckroll and I have gone at it at length about the relative performance of various niche DS releases in the past), but the idea that there's this categorical gulf that makes the DS more comparable to the SNES than the PS2 is nonsense.
In terms of RPGs it is true. Even the high amount of DQ (original, remake and spin off) releases is similar. No PS got as many as either Famicom, SFC or DS.

Road

t1323867600z0.png

Prediction

[3DS] Nintendo 3DS Hardware (Nintendo) - 333,333
[3DS] Inazuma Eleven Go: Shine/Dark (Level 5) - 166,666
[PS3] PlayStation 3 Hardware (SCE) - 99,999
[PS3] Final Fantasy XIII-2 (Square Enix) - 777,777
[PSV] Playstation Vita Hardware (SCE) - 266,666
[PSV] Minna no Golf 6 (Hot Shots Golf) (SCE) - 66,666
[PSV] Uncharted: Golden Abyss (SCE) - 33,333
[PSV] Dynasty Warriors Next (Koei Tecmo) - 33,333

Cipherr

It does count of course but as a series, despite minor set backs, it just keeps increasing. Through I to IV it increased, minor set back with V (helped its remakes though), VI and VII increased again, minor set back with VIII (PS2 already too exensive, they repeated that mistake much worse with the PS3). So it can't just be attributed to the DS. Like you say as well it will sell well wherever it goes and Enix just choose the leading hardware usually to not cap the sales low.

Minor setbacks, meaning whenever its performance clashes with the point you are trying to make? Which has happened multiple times? But its ok, because those arent data points that poke holes in your theories, they are just minor setbacks?

I keep reading your message above, and its like "Well X is the case, except that time when Y happened then, and that other time when Y happened again, and of course Y happened that other time to, but we all expected that..... But yeah, its clearly all X".

Back then, Sony = CDs and Nintendo = cartridges.

Right, which is why in terms of drawing actual conclusions about causality we talk about what CDs and cartridges mean, because those factors are somewhat generalizable whereas saying "Sony platform" or "Nintendo platform" means wildly different, even contradictory things, depending on what platform you're talking about and when.

The "cause" for the Sony preference originates here. You could call it coincidence, but once established this preference didn't change after that.

It's not a question of coincidence. It's certainly accurate that a lot of, say, the PS3's success with RPGs is based on both expected support (it built a fanbase early on thanks to franchises that carried over from PS2 and never saw a reason to go elsewhere) and on functionality (it offered the only non-360 option for high-end AV experiences on a console), but that's a result of specific things that happened, not a generic brand preference.

Everything in a complex system like sales is affected my multiple factors, both obvious and subtle, and the complex interplay between them. Simplifying it down to ultra-generalities means missing out on most of those factors and leads to tons of individual excuses for stuff that doesn't fit the pattern. It also makes it much harder to address situations that only fit with some of your expectations.

So it can't just be attributed to the DS.

Nobody's attributing anything "just to the DS." I am pointing out that your argument relies on selectively dismissing the relevance of RPGs that performed well on DS (it's DQ/a remake/Level-5/etc., those always do well!) while boosting the importance of other titles. It is nothing resembling an attempt at holistic or nuanced analysis. There's a reason people who peddle these exception-ridden, platform-centric theories have been getting laughed out of MC threads for years.

No PS got as many as either Famicom, SFC or DS.

This fact is completely irrelevant to anything we're talking about.

Yeah, Square was the only one to contribute to the around million selling RPG IPs on SNES which I was referring to. This changed on CD consoles.
I'm talking mid level, which I'd classify as well below a million. You talked about games like Suikoden, Tales and Star Ocean being examples, so I thought we were on the same page.

Also, did you overlook the part where I said the data only goes back to late 1994? What sales are you looking at exactly to support the claim you're making? What would PS1 RPG sales look like if we only considered early 1999 on or PS2 from late 2004 on?

Suikoden did worse than I thought. But anyway, Tales and Star Ocean are the main games I was referring to. Atlus also increased on PS1 and 2. Decreased again on DS.

For early sales numbers from before PS1 I can recommend Japanese Wikipedia btw.
Please, can you link us to some of those sales then? Shin Megsmi Tensei I/II/if would be interesting.

noobie

Banned
[3DS] Nintendo 3DS Hardware (Nintendo) - 275,000
[3DS] Inazuma Eleven Go: Shine/Dark (Level 5) - 163,000
[PS3] PlayStation 3 Hardware (SCE) - 78,000
[PS3] Final Fantasy XIII-2 (Square Enix) - 535,000
[PSV] Playstation Vita Hardware (SCE) - 185,000
[PSV] Minna no Golf 6 (Hot Shots Golf) (SCE) - 45,000
[PSV] Uncharted: Golden Abyss (SCE) - 34,000
[PSV] Dynasty Warriors Next (Koei Tecmo) - 31,000

Kenka

nooooooo, I'll suck again :-(

[3DS] Nintendo 3DS Hardware (Nintendo) - 414,414
[3DS] Inazuma Eleven Go: Shine/Dark (Level 5) - 131,131
[PS3] PlayStation 3 Hardware (SCE) - 73,737
[PS3] Final Fantasy XIII-2 (Square Enix) - 535,535
[PSV] Playstation Vita Hardware (SCE) - 131,131
[PSV] Minna no Golf 6 (Hot Shots Golf) (SCE) - 53,535
[PSV] Uncharted: Golden Abyss (SCE) - 43,434
[PSV] Dynasty Warriors Next (Koei Tecmo) - 33,333

edit : changed 3DS hardware numbers.

starship

psycho_snake's and The Black Brad Pitt's B*TCH
[3DS] Nintendo 3DS Hardware (Nintendo) - 450,000
[3DS] Inazuma Eleven Go: Shine/Dark (Level 5) - 200,000
[PS3] PlayStation 3 Hardware (SCE) - 105,000
[PS3] Final Fantasy XIII-2 (Square Enix) - 650,000
[PSV] Playstation Vita Hardware (SCE) - 250,000
[PSV] Minna no Golf 6 (Hot Shots Golf) (SCE) - 55,000
[PSV] Uncharted: Golden Abyss (SCE) - 35,000
[PSV] Dynasty Warriors Next (Koei Tecmo) -[/QUOTE] - 40,000

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
[3DS] Nintendo 3DS Hardware (Nintendo) - 455,392
[3DS] Inazuma Eleven Go: Shine/Dark (Level 5) - 258,906
[PS3] PlayStation 3 Hardware (SCE) - 84,270
[PS3] Final Fantasy XIII-2 (Square Enix) - 490,567
[PSV] Playstation Vita Hardware (SCE) - 200,002
[PSV] Minna no Golf 6 (Hot Shots Golf) (SCE) - 61,871
[PSV] Uncharted: Golden Abyss (SCE) - 46,765
[PSV] Dynasty Warriors Next (Koei Tecmo) - 29,463

Top Bottom