• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 48, 2016 (Nov 28 - Dec 04)

LordKano

That's it, we finally have the time for the Nintendo Switch presentation.

Europe: 5AM (January 13th)
UK: 4AM (January 13th)
North America (ET): 11PM (January 12th)
North America (PT): 8PM (January 12th)
Japan: 1PM (January 13th)

Soon,you will be able to doom and gloom / praise our Lord and Saviour (your pick) to your heart's content ;)

FIVE AM ?! How the fuck am I supposed to wake up in time for the press event ?
SMH Nintendo

Japan and Asia sales

Gold Prize (500k copies sold or more)
Dark Souls III
The Last of Us Remastered
Uncharted 4
The Witcher 3 Wild Hunt
Call of Duty Black Ops 3
Jikkyou Powerful Pro Baseball 2016
Sword Art Online Lost Song
Dragon Quest Heroes II
Dragon Quest Builders
Persona 5

Japan LTD

The Last of Us Remastered (52k)
Uncharted 4 (193k)
The Witcher 3 Wild Hunt (195k)
Sword Art Online Lost Song (267k)

Seems like Asia in some cases might even surpass Japanese sales.

Platinum Prize was 1 million? we'll see FFXV there next year

Yup. Could also see DQ11.

Japan LTD

Uncharted 4 (193k)

Where are your numbers from? I have SAO at 297,015 from Media Create (not counting PS4 version/2016 sales/digital).

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Thanks, but not really anything to do with what I was saying? I was pointing out the Japanese sales were more than he suggesting they were.

It doesn't but my quote has more to do with what versions are included in these numbers and how they count them. How is possible Yakuza: Kiwami with much bigger known sales/shipments isn't in there and Last of US that shipped less than 100k in Japan is.

Japan and Asia sales

Gold Prize (500k copies sold or more)
Dark Souls III
The Last of Us Remastered
Uncharted 4
The Witcher 3 Wild Hunt
Call of Duty Black Ops 3
Jikkyou Powerful Pro Baseball 2016
Sword Art Online Lost Song
Dragon Quest Heroes II
Dragon Quest Builders
Persona 5

Japan LTD

Uncharted 4 (193k)

Yup. Could also see DQ11.

And yet many still act like the JPN market is the end and all when it comes to sales.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
And yet many still act like the JPN market is the end and all when it comes to sales.
...Has anyone criticized a Japanese developer focusing on greater Asia in this thread?

I don't think I've even seen someone bag on Capcom for making Monster Hunter Online, even if they didn't personally like the product.

If anything it's a good argument to try developing for the West though for those who feel they have the aptitude. There's a lot of Western games with big numbers on that list. Of course, that's a hard aptitude to come by.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Ōkami;226491557 said:
Final Fantasy XV was the best selling game on PSN last week, seems like it might've hold better than expected, digitally at least.

Or maybe Yakuza, Marvel and The Last Guardian didn't do that well.

Did you check what Kiwami sell earlier this year at digital?

sense

...Has anyone criticized a Japanese developer focusing on greater Asia in this thread?

I don't think I've even seen someone bag on Capcom for making Monster Hunter Online, even if they didn't personally like the product.

If anything it's a good argument to try developing for the West though for those who feel they have the aptitude. There's a lot of Western games with big numbers on that list.
I think his point was more along the lines of certain users predicting the death of certain series/franchise based only on Japan sales and not taking into consideration sales in Asian and western territories. There have been many instances where as soon as a game shows decline from its previous entry people are yelling doom and gloom and making fun of people that bring up digital, Asia or western sales. It is very possible a lot of these publishers are greenlighting games for certain platforms knowing full well Japan market isn't going to save them and are looking into growing the series in the rest of the world.

Takao

Banned
Ōkami;226491557 said:
Final Fantasy XV was the best selling game on PSN last week, seems like it might've hold better than expected, digitally at least.

Or maybe Yakuza, Marvel and The Last Guardian didn't do that well.

UMvC3 sold 70k across PS3/360/PSV. Given the sales of fighting games in recent years, did you honestly expect UMvC3 to sell well on PS4 in Japan?

Where are your numbers from? I have SAO at 297,015 from Media Create (not counting PS4 version/2016 sales/digital).

https://sites.google.com/site/gamedatalibrary/software-by-platform/playstation-4

I think it's notable that the titles heavily weighted in Asia's direction are Western and not Japanese.

Not really. I only checked the titles I remembered having sales less than or around 250k to easily highlight how the Asian market can at times equal or surpass the Japanese market. The barrier for the award is 500k - 1million, so titles with JP sales near 500k, I have left out as its close to the lower bound and hence a less notable stat for my point. Its why I left out BOIII which iirc is 400k.

MacTag

Banned
I think his point was more along the lines of certain users predicting the death of certain series/franchise based only on Japan sales and not taking into consideration sales in Asian and western territories. There have been many instances where as soon as a game shows decline from its previous entry people are yelling doom and gloom and making fun of people that bring up digital, Asia or western sales. It is very possible a lot of these publishers are greenlighting games for certain platforms knowing full well Japan market isn't going to save them and are looking into growing the series in the rest of the world.
The only way to really quantify this though is with concrete numbers, not guesses based on shipment awards. Koei Tecmo is one publisher who gives out separated Asian sales and they're consistently a small fraction of Japan and also most often below NA and Europe. And Koei Tecmo's a company whose major titles are nearly all suited to wider Asain release.

Kanann

I think Koei Tecmo need every help from us Asia LOL (and going full force on Steam platform). Seem company isn't in a good shape looking at their many cheap commission work and original game's quality (especially from Gust). I really hope for Nioh's succeed.

Oregano

https://sites.google.com/site/gamedatalibrary/software-by-platform/playstation-4

Not really. I only checked the titles I remembered having sales less than or around 250k to easily highlight how the Asian market can at times equal or surpass the Japanese market. The barrier for the award is 500k - 1million, so titles with JP sales near 500k, I have left out as its close to the lower bound and hence a less notable stat for my point. Its why I left out BOIII which iirc is 400k.

Well they are still the only ones we can definitely say. It could be different if we had full data.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr

What games do you feel were treated unfairly?

I don't think anyone was arguing that the future of Final Fantasy depends on Japan.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Koei Tecmo is one publisher who gives out separated Asian sales and they're consistently a small fraction of Japan and also most often below NA and Europe. And Koei Tecmo's a company whose major titles are nearly all suited to wider Asain release.

Things are not different for S-E and their Japanese titles from shipment reports.

Hasn't Capcom given a split too?

I think Koei Tecmo need every help from us Asia LOL (and going full force on Steam platform). Seem company isn't in a good shape looking at their many cheap commission work and original game's quality (especially from Gust). I really hope for Nioh's succeed.

Far from the truth. The company has been making record profits and YOY increases for years now and their gaming division is one of the reasons for such growth.

If other Asian sales numbers were as readily available as Japan I'm sure most of us would love to see them.

Yeah, its a real shame data from the region is so hard to come by.

What games do you feel were treated unfairly?

I don't think anyone was arguing that the future of Final Fantasy depends on Japan.

Its not about being treated unfairly, its about perspective. I'm sure many think Asian sales would be a small fraction of Japanese sales, but in recent years, as we've had more data from the region, we are seeing a market that has potential to equal or even succeed Japan in some regards.

For instance, Yakuza 6 is going to come out soon right? Iirc it could be down by 200k from the best selling Yakuza game, however is there a real possibility that Asia can make up for that....yes, perhaps even result in a growth.

Ōkami

Wonder what the cutoff date for the PS Awards seeing how FFXV wasn't listed.

Nor was Minecraft which was the most odd thing of all.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I'm not sure most publishers actually do split out Asia, since from a long term perspective, it actually makes a lot of sense to bundle that together to pave over lowering Japanese sales.

The other regions are generally listed as "North America" and "Europe" or "EMEA," so it's not like it lacks precedent.

Edit: Okay my statement actually isn't entirely true. Mobile companies do split out Asia, but that's a bit different, since they're hoping to show growth beyond the domestic market.

MacTag

Banned
I'm sure many think Asian sales would be a small fraction of Japanese sales, but in recent years, as we've had more data from the region, we are seeing a market that has potential to equal or even succeed Japan in some regards.
This is pure Tales from your ass. Please cite any relevant data that at all indicates Asia matching or exceeding Japan for domestic console games.

Statements like these are why Asia/West/digital saviors get ridiculed in these threads.

For instance, Yakuza 6 is going to come out soon right? Iirc it could be down by 200k from the best selling Yakuza game, however is there a real possibility that Asia can make up for that....yes, perhaps even result in a growth.
Yakuza 6's Korean release was canceled so it's doubtful.

For each publisher that actually has Japan and Asia separated in their financial reports, what do the splits look like?
Koei Tecmo
FY2016 1H in millions of Yen
Japan: 12,228 (74.8%)
N America: 1,942 (11.7%)
Europe: 961 (5.8%)
Asia: 1,445 (8.7%)

https://www.koeitecmo.co.jp/e/ir/docs/ird3_20161028e.pdf

sense

This is pure Tales from your ass. Please cite any relevant data that at all indicates Asia matching or exceeding Japan for domestic console games.

Statements like these are why Asia/West/digital saviors get ridiculed in these threads.

Yakuza 6's Korean release was canceled so it's doubtful.

Koei Tecmo
FY2016 1H in millions of Yen
Japan: 12,228 (74.8%)
US: 1,942 (11.7%)
Europe: 961 (5.8%)
Asia: 1,445 (8.7%)

http://segabits.com/blog/2016/01/26/yakuza-kiwami-shipped-200000-copies-asia/

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
If Sega gives an Asian shipment number for Yakuza 6 too it will show if it can really cover Yakuza's Japanese decline or not. It looks there wasn't any other shipment besides these 200k for Kiwami.

sense

I'd didn't realize Kiwami's 200k were HK/Taiwan only, that's very good. Not close to rivaling or exceeding Japan though, probably even with Yakuza 6's expected drop.

Yakuza kiwami sold around 220000 copies in japan so it is somewhat matching asia sales. dead or alive extreme 3 matched or exceeded japan sales in asia

https://www.destructoid.com/dead-or-alive-xtreme-3-sold-well-outside-japan-358288.phtml

i think the point is when people say asia or digital, they don't mean to say it sold some crazy number and imply it sold more than what it sold in japan but the people that ridicule them seem to think that is what they are implying. if a certain game sells less than its previous entry, the hope is asia/digital makes up for the drop in sales. a lot of these publishers view asia as a growth market and many are going for simultaneous releases in recent years. scej changed its name to sceja. Their new mobile efforts include asia region as well.

koei tecmo most recent earnings report blurb

"Overseas sales were up 14.1% YoY, led by the release of Attack on Titan. Overseas sales revenue was ¥4,348 million, accounting for 26.2% of total sales revenue. America led the way overseas with an 11.7% share of total sales revenue. Europe had a 5.8% share. Asia has been a growing market for Koei Tecmo thanks to the console, mobile and social gaming divisions and this has led to Asia becoming the second largest overseas region for the company in recent years. Asia accounted for ¥1,445 million sales revenue, up 13% YoY. An 8.7% total share."

obviously there are titles that truly bomb but the hope is not to immediately jump on people that utter the words asia/digital.

MacTag

Banned
Yakuza kiwami sold around 220000 copies in japan so it is somewhat matching asia sales. dead or alive extreme 3 matched or exceeded japan sales in asia

https://www.destructoid.com/dead-or-alive-xtreme-3-sold-well-outside-japan-358288.phtml

i think the point is when people say asia or digital, they don't mean to say it sold some crazy number and imply it sold more than what it sold in japan but the people that ridicule them seem to think that is what they are implying. if a certain game sells less than its previous entry, the hope is asia/digital makes up for the drop in sales. a lot of these publishers view asia as a growth market and many are going for simultaneous releases in recent years. scej changed its name to sceja. Their new mobile efforts include asia region as well.

koei tecmo most recent earnings report blurb

"Overseas sales were up 14.1% YoY, led by the release of Attack on Titan. Overseas sales revenue was ¥4,348 million, accounting for 26.2% of total sales revenue. America led the way overseas with an 11.7% share of total sales revenue. Europe had a 5.8% share. Asia has been a growing market for Koei Tecmo thanks to the console, mobile and social gaming divisions and this has led to Asia becoming the second largest overseas region for the company in recent years. Asia accounted for ¥1,445 million sales revenue, up 13% YoY. An 8.7% total share."

obviously there are titles that truly bomb but the hope is not to immediately jump on people that utter the words asia/digital.
The issue is both your examples here are mixing JP retail charted sellthrough versus shipments, in one case worldwide shipments+digital. We don't have Japanese shipments for Yakuza Extreme (Sega reports 430k across Q1 2016 for 4 domestic titles) and the DOAX3 supposition that it sold equally or more in Asia than Japan hinges on subtracting MC figures from shipments. Even if DOAX3 did manage to do that though it's a uniquely special case as westerners were importing the Asian english version due to a much publicized blocked western release.

Your Koei Tecmo figures actually reflect the numbers I posted above. In fact Asia had a smaller net increase than NA or Japan YOY for them. Quite the growth market there.

FY 2015 1H in million of Yen
Japan: 11,350 (74.9%)
N America: 1,588 (10.5%)
Europe: 942 (6.2%)
Asia: 1,279 (8.4%)

Oregano

It's important to not forget that releasing in Asia also involves localisation(into several languages sometimes) and shipping across across a much bigger area.

Shipping 400k in Japan is cheaper than shipping 200k in Japan and 200k in Asia.

MacTag

Banned
It's important to not forget that releasing in Asia also involves localisation(into several languages sometimes) and shipping across across a much bigger area.

It also involves working with a local distributor in most cases. SIEJA handles Yakuza for Sega for example so Sega gets less of a cut per copy than they would in Japan or other markets where they have their own network in place.

duckroll

Well you also make more shipping 400k in Japan because the price is much higher. If you want to sell in Asia seriously, it is much like selling in US or Europe, you don't charge 90 dollars for a game. Persona 5 on the Asia Singapore PS Store is about S$75 iirc. That's about 6000yen. The same game on the Japan PS Store is 8800yen. :p

Would the dedicated industry be in better shape if the prices were more in line with Europe, the US and, apparently, other Asian countries? It's weird that games on dedicated gaming devices are still more expensive in Japan than in the rest of the world but not mobile games. Why the difference?

Ōkami

I posted this some time, but should come in handy for the new thread.

Historical 2nd week drop.

[PS1] Final Fantasy VII - 2.034.879 / NEW
[PS1] Final Fantasy VII - 329.740 / 2.364.619 (-84%)

[PS1] Final Fantasy VIII - 2.504.044 / NEW
[PS1] Final Fantasy VIII - 270.993 / 2.775.037 (-89%)

[PS1] Final Fantasy IX - 1.954.421 / NEW
[PS1] Final Fantasy IX - 328.404 / 2.282.825 (-83%)

[PS2] Final Fantasy X - 1.749.737 / NEW
[PS2] Final Fantasy X - 233.429 / 1.983.166 (-87%)

[PS2] Final Fantasy XII - 1.840.397 / NEW
[PS2] Final Fantasy XII - 217.438 / 2.057.835 (-88%)

[PS3] Final Fantasy XIII - 1.516.532 / NEW
[PS3] Final Fantasy XIII - 181.724 / 1.698.256 (-88%)

[PS4] Final Fantasy XV - 716.649 / NEW

Also counting sequels then:

[PS2] Final Fantasy X-2 - 1.472.914 / NEW
[PS2] Final Fantasy X-2 - 181.798 / 1.654.712 (-88%)

[PS3] Final Fantasy XIII-2 - 606.660 / NEW
[PS3] Final Fantasy XIII-2 - 91.486 / 698.146 (-85%)

[PS3] Lighting Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - 301.181 / NEW
[PS3] Lighting Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - 54.859 / 356.040 (-82%)

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Would the dedicated industry be in better shape if the prices were more in line with Europe, the US and, apparently, other Asian countries? It's weird that games on dedicated gaming devices are still more expensive in Japan than in the rest of the world but not mobile games. Why the difference?

Media became sky high price was during the economic boom and companies got used to charging that much for everything entertainment wise. They all colluded to keep prices high and no one decided to step in a rock the boat. Movies, television shows and albums are no different.

In fact the only form of entertainment that's cheaper in Japan than it is in most other countries is comics.

horuhe

Even though what Man God said is the true answer, I do think the 2011's earthquake did its job on increasing costs of technological pieces. That, and the intend of the government to exit from deflation, trying to increase taxes every time they can.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Ōkami;226562414 said:
I posted this some time, but should come in handy for the new thread.

Historical 2nd week drop.

Also counting sequels then:

[PS3] Final Fantasy XIII-2 - 91.486 / 698.146 (-85%)

[PS3] Lighting Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - 54.859 / 356.040 (-82%)

These are the numbers we are looking for.

hussmk

Neo Member
Unfortunately, I see FFXV having the biggest second week drop in the series. Taking into consideration that it had five days of sales in its launch week as opposed to the usual three, I would be surprised if the drop were less than 90% this week.

Top Bottom