• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 49, 2011 (Dec 05 - Dec 11)

Cipherr

I've been a quiet spectator of Media Create sales threads for a while now, occasionally popping in with some something or something.

But I'm interested in the next few months to get a glimpse of the future Japanese market.

Its all good. Both handhelds will succeed, at the cost of the home consoles slowing to a bloody crawl in the new gen in Japan. The transition is nearly complete.

gkryhewy

I actually have no idea if they are or not. Never heard anyone speak of them, but they do have plenty of them. Plus, now that every single Vita title is available on PSN, and sometimes for a lower price as well...

Hopefully we'll see DD numbers soon.

According to the 8-4 podcast, PSN discounts aren't really any bigger than amazon.co.jp's typical discounts for hard copies, and Japanese typically highly value the ability to resell their games.

watershed

Banned
I think he meant that having a High first shipment doesn't necessarily means big sold through numbers.

Oh I see, well yeah of course. I never suggested otherwise. My 500k prediction is just me thinking that Sony's hardcore fans will turn out for new hardware.

fernoca

I actually have no idea if they are or not. Never heard anyone speak of them, but they do have plenty of them. Plus, now that every single Vita title is available on PSN, and sometimes for a lower price as well...

Hopefully we'll see DD numbers soon.
Though lower price was apparently normal back to the PSP days; at least in Japan. Unless sales are double the ones for retail, there are few possibilities that they start reporting them now; seeing how the PS3 and PSP they barely..if ever gave numbers and that's with 18 million/7 million of hardware.

They'll probably shoehorn the numbers as some "growth percentage" and toss it in one PowerPoint presentation at E3 or some other presentation.

DCharlie

Banned
I have no idea what that's referring to

A sony exec famously said that they could sell 5m PS3's even if they launched with no games.

They are still digging his foot out of his Sarlak sized mouth.

watershed

Banned
A sony exec famously said that they could sell 5m PS3's even if they launched with no games.

They are still digging his foot out of his Sarlak sized mouth.

Well in the case of the vita it seemed to have a fairly diverse software line up and apparently with tiered, consumer friendly pricing. I've read the perception that it doesn't have a killer app which I agree with but I'm guessing Hotshots Golf will lead in vita software sales.

Alrus

DS launch or 3DS launch?
Because if they did a similar article about the 3DS launch, they were right, weren't they?

The 3DS launch had a pretty decent launch and a good second week though. It started looking pretty bad after those.

Grimmy

Banned
According to IGN, the Vita launch didn't go so well:
http://vita.ign.com/articles/121/1215139p1.html

One anecdotal comments from a reporter who cannot write: "The PS Vita starting selling in Japan on December 17th" and spellcheck: "Akihabare" isn't going to somehow impress me that this article hold any weight. Plus, people already forgot the preorder frenzy when people waited in line just to pre-order the Vita. Those people are for the most part not going to wait in line again. They can pick up their unit when it's available.

checked amazon.jp's top 15 during the day, it had Vita out of the top ten, with Kirby, Mario and MH fighting for the top and two 3DS sandwiched between those titles

it won't probably mean shit but those saying the 3DS might outsell Vita (which I thought was crazy talk) could have a chance

Kazerei

Banned
DS launch or 3DS launch?
Because if they did a similar article about the 3DS launch, they were right, weren't they?

Here. They described the launch as boring, based on the Bic store they went to.

nds-launches-in-japan-20041201025916826-000.jpg

Alrus

checked amazon.jp's top 15 during the day, it had Vita out of the top ten, with Kirby, Mario and MH fighting for the top and two 3DS in the top ten

it won't probably mean shit but those saying the 3DS might outsell Vita (which I thought was crazy talk) could have a chance

Yeah but this week's report will only be covering the first 2 days of the Vita, so the ranking right now doesn't really matter. On top of amazon ranking being mostly irrelevant.

I mean, if we take them as a general trend, Kirby will outsell everything next week :p

psrock

checked amazon.jp's top 15 during the day, it had Vita out of the top ten, with Kirby, Mario and MH fighting for the top and two 3DS sandwiched between those titles

Wifi version is sold out. Will be available Dec 25th.

DCharlie

Banned
DCharlie better sell his now because apparently according to IGN/Endgadget, it will soon self combust.

already ebaying so the stinky stench of failure doesn't permiate my skin.

I've no idea how the Vita is doing - there are still plenty of units out there for sure but this goes back to my point in other threads : if you ship 100k units then scream OMG SOLD OUT!!! vs shipping 500k and selling "only" 300k then it seems fans perceptions get scrambled.

Erethian

I change my 300k maximum to 350k minimum and 450k maximum. Better?

If the 3DS is going to follow what the DS did in the 2005 holidays, it should be around there, yeah.

DS did 381,776 for the corresponding week (according to Famitsu, Media Create had 408,770) without any major games released; Mario Kart launched a week earlier. The big new release for that week was Tales of the Abyss.

Of course there wasn't a new Final Fantasy and a new piece of hardware launching that week either. But it's hard to tell how much crossover there is between the audience for FF, or Vita early adopters, and the people buying a 3DS these holidays.

M-PG71C

Meh, IGN is full of shit across the board. Will the Vita overtake the 3DS? Not at all. Will the Vita do well for launch? Absolutely. Will the Vita have long-term viability? Absolutely.

The Vita is going to have a fight on its hands, but it'll find its way.

Yeah but this week's report will only be covering the first 2 days of the Vita, so the ranking right now doesn't really matter. On top of amazon ranking being mostly irrelevant.

I mean, if we take them as a general trend, Kirby will outsell everything next week :p

oh I know, amazon.jp failed several times before. I just looking at it at a small (very small) indicator of how things could be doing in general. I mean, there are some games at the top that do reflect the general MC sales

Yamauchi

Banned
With a shipment of 700k, I see it as almost impossible that the Vita would not outsell the 3DS.

That said, it will also be very impressive if 3DS sales are above 370k, making it the system's best week ever.

Kazerei

Banned
With a shipment of 700k, I see it as almost impossible that the Vita would not outsell the 3DS.

That said, it will also be very impressive if 3DS sales are above 370k, making it the system's best week ever.

It's the 3DS's first Christmas, of course it's going to reach a new high.

Lupin3

Targeting terrorists with a D-Pad
According to the 8-4 podcast, PSN discounts aren't really any bigger than amazon.co.jp's typical discounts for hard copies, and Japanese typically highly value the ability to resell their games.

Some games are even more expensive, like UMvsC3 last time I checked. But it's still an interesting move to offer all the games as DD on day 1. Let's see how it goes.

Top Bottom