• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 49, 2011 (Dec 05 - Dec 11)

OT: I remember Miyamoto saying the 3DS was going to receive a 3D Mario game and a 2D Mario game... did he actually state that they were separate games or was he being tongue-in-cheek about the 3D/2D nature of 3D Land?

Considering the last 2D Mario handheld game sold nearly 6 million. I think Nintendo would be extremely foolish to not release a 2D Mario on 3DS.

[Nintex]

6XVgj.png

last week for reference: http://i.imgur.com/zCxoC.png

A perfect PacMan

beril

Okay, so reconsidering it all:

Guaranteed 3DS million sellers
-Animal Crossing (Nintendo)
-Dragon Quest Monsters: Terry's Wonderland 3D (Square Enix)
-Mario Kart 7 (Nintendo)
-Monster Hunter 4 (Capcom)
-Monster Hunter Tri G (Capcom)
-Super Mario 3D Land (Nintendo)
-Tomodachi Collection (Nintendo)

Potential/possible 3DS million sellers
-Kingdom Hearts 3D: Dream Drop Distance (Square Enix)
-Mario Tennis (Nintendo)
-nintendogs + cats (Nintendo)
-Style Savvy (Nintendo)
-The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D (Nintendo)

Does that seem fair? Anything I'm overlooking (lolIEGo)?

I'm not sure Dragon Quest Monsters is a guaranteed million seller. It'll do well and it might reach a million, but it's pretty hard to say. It is a remake of a spinoff after all. The original only did 2 million and the recent DQM games have been in the 1.5M range so to expect it to do nearly as well as a new game or as a mainline remake is a bit optimistic. I'd guess more like in the 600-800k range

I'm not sure Dragon Quest Monsters is a guaranteed million seller. It'll do well and it might reach a million, but it's pretty hard to say. It is a remake of a spinoff after all. The original only did 2 million and the recent DQM games have been in the 1.5M range so to expect it to do nearly as well as a new game or as a mainline remake is a bit optimistic. I'd guess more like in the 600-800k range

It's basically continuing on from Joker 2 in terms of monsters and mechanics, I expect pretty much the same fanbase to keep going with it. I'd also argue DQ4-6 DS aren't really remakes but conversions (like DQ1-3 GBC), though some have been based off remakes rather than the originals (1-3 GBC based off the SFC remakes, 4/5 DS based off the PS1/PS2 remakes).

If DQVII 3DS exists and it is a full remake (unlike the GBC/DS ones), I think it'll be HUGE. Maybe even 2m huge.

Effect

I knew Zelda was more popular outside of Japan by a wide margin but that's just sad to see it drop off so quickly. Hopefully it picks up the closer we get to Christmas and perhaps after that.

Perhaps this is why Nintendo via Miyamoto is publicly talking about how Retro Studios might be a good fit to tackle the series at some point. Nintendo has tried to attract the Japanese gamer more and more with each version, at least for the consoles games, and it doesn't seem to be working. Even if handhelds are more popular then consoles other console games from Nintendo seem to do well. Maybe it's just Zelda in general. Or they don't like it on consoles. Perhaps to time consuming compared to other games. Rather be able to play it whenever? I assume that's part of why Monster Hunter became so popular (I know local multiplayer was a big part as well.) on the PSP compared to the original console versions. Where Ocarina of Time 3D ends up should be telling I think. Then the big test will be the new 3DS Zelda. If those don't do well then perhaps they need to stop focusing it's design on the Japanese market. Give it a more worldwide appeal since that is where it sells the most.

Edit: Reworded what I wanted to say better.

Nintendo has tried to attract the Japanese gamer more and more with each version, at least for the consoles games, and it doesn't seem to be working.

I don't think think the artistic style has ever tried to cater directly to Japan, but rather appeal to both kids and adults, at least in the case for Wind Waker. If anything Twilight Princess appealed directly to the West.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Could someone repost the HW totals please? I'm viewing from Secondapps and they're not visible to me. :(

I'd really appreciate it!

Had the same issue earlier on my phone - here you go:

3DS 350.321
PSP 51.191
WII 46.018
PS3 44.661
NDS 6.630
360 3.211
PS2 1.268

Thank you! Much appreciated.

Expected huge 3DS sales. Big PSP numbers too. Crazy considering the imminent Vita launch.

Does it mean that consumers are crazy for Sony handhelds in general (ergo Vita will do wonderfully) or that consumers aren't that interested in the Vita (ergo opposite of other parenthetical)?

I don't think think the artistic style has ever tried to cater directly to Japan, but rather appeal to both kids and adults, at least in the case for Wind Waker. If anything Twilight Princess appealed directly to the West.

No, SS definitely carries a lot of anime tropes which I found pretty striking in the intro section: Zelda is now a childhood friend who goes to school with you and lectures you about not taking things seriously, Link's "Rival" is a bully with a crush on her. It's not just the art style, there was a conscious effort to tweak the story and style to appeal to a Japanese audience but it just didn't hit the mark for whatever reason.

Does it mean that consumers are crazy for Sony handhelds in general (ergo Vita will do wonderfully) or that consumers aren't that interested in the Vita (ergo opposite of other parenthetical)?
I don't believe it's indicative of either, really. The holiday season, coupled with the fact that the PSP still gets new software would account for the hardware spike. In my opinion, at least.

Nintendo effectively killed the original DS when the 3DS launched, something Sony doesn't seem to be doing with the Vita/PSP. We'll only be able to assess either of those points after the holiday season.

French

Banned
Okay, so reconsidering it all:

Guaranteed 3DS million sellers
-Animal Crossing (Nintendo)
-Dragon Quest Monsters: Terry's Wonderland 3D (Square Enix)
-Mario Kart 7 (Nintendo)
-Monster Hunter 4 (Capcom)
-Monster Hunter Tri G (Capcom)
-Super Mario 3D Land (Nintendo)
-Tomodachi Collection (Nintendo)

Potential/possible 3DS million sellers
-Kingdom Hearts 3D: Dream Drop Distance (Square Enix)
-Mario Tennis (Nintendo)
-nintendogs + cats (Nintendo)
-Style Savvy (Nintendo)
-The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D (Nintendo)

Does that seem fair? Anything I'm overlooking (lolIEGo)?

Here's the same list with the Vita :

Effect

Time to bench Zelda, sadly.

Nope. It's just like this in Japan. Though I wouldn't put it past Nintendo to do that because they do make decisions with only Japan in mind regardless if a franchise (or situation is different) is more popular and sells more outside of it.

Opiate

Here's the same list with the Vita :

However, the Vita does seem to have a good, healthy variety of lower and mid tier games that can sell 40k-300k, depending.

What it really does lack (as you sarcastically referenced here) is the 500k+ sellers, let alone 1M+ sellers. Speaking purely of Japan, there just doesn't seem to be very many big games coming to the Vita in the near future or on the distant horizon.

I think this will be an interesting case study of software sales. I personally believe that the vast majority of system hardware is sold on the backs of the top 5% of games, with the huge number of 150k sellers or 50k sellers subsisting off of users who buy the system for (for example) Final Fantasy, then also buy Tales of ____, because it's a similar type of game and they already have the system. If I am correct, then the Vita may struggle; if I were Sony, I'd trade every single one of those good-but-not-great sellers for a single great seller if I had the chance.

If I am wrong, however -- and I very well could be! -- then the Vita's success will be informative. It will suggest that a wide variety of AA games can push a system even when the AAA games are lacking.

Fularu

Banned
However, the Vita does seem to have a good, healthy variety of lower and mid tier games that can sell 40k-300k, depending.

Beside HSG 6 and mayyybe DW, which game could possibly reach the 200-300k range?

To be quite honest, I see nothing onthe Vita right now (at least in Japan) to drive sales.

Cipherr

Beside HSG 6 and mayyybe DW, which game could possibly reach the 200-300k range?

To be quite honest, I see nothing onthe Vita right now (at least in Japan) to drive sales.

After seeing Uncharted performance on PS3 in Japan, I would adds UC:Vita to the list of titles that could possibly see the 250k range.

Opiate

It sold 150k on the PS3 what makes you think it would do 100k more on the brand new Vita?

It's a handheld system. Lots of franchises do more on handhelds than they do on consoles in Japan. It isn't a slam dunk (because the Vita is a new system, as you note) but it does strike me as a possibility.

Regardless, the discussion is moot. I said low to mid range; I also said 40k-300k. Then, for some reason, you narrowed that down to a discussion exclusively about mid range games, and exclusively about games doing 200-300k.

My point was that Vita has a variety of games that can do 40k-300k and be appealing "AA" franchises -- but these are typically viewed as supplemental games to flesh out a library, rather than system sellers in their own right. At least, that's my theory. Vita will be a good living expirement to test that theory.

Top Bottom