• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 49, 2013 (Dec 02 - Dec 08)

sörine

Banned
Well this is what they said the last time around:

Source: http://www.polygon.com/2013/7/10/45...s-discuss-the-pc-port-and-eventual-us-release

Since then, they've announced:

1.) A PC version of Dragon Quest X .
2.) Dragon Quest Monsters 2 for 3DS.
3.) Dragon Quest 1-8 for iOS/Android.
4.) Dragon Quest X for iOS via cloud streaming.
5.) Dragon Quest Monsters: Super Light for iOS/Android.

There are two non-multiplatform titles, but they're technically part of the same sub-franchise. Everything else involves porting games to more platforms.
I sort of wonder if we'll see DQX ported to other consoles or if SE is happy enough with the PC + Wii family combo? I also wonder if this finally opens to door to old DQ games on Virtual Console and Game Archives?

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
sörine;93498445 said:
I sort of wonder if we'll see DQX ported to other consoles or if SE is happy enough with the PC + Wii family combo? I also wonder if this finally opens to door to old DQ games on Virtual Console and Game Archives?

It would probably depend on whether their market research tells them that a notable amount of people who aren't playing the game on Wii, Wii U, or PC would actually buy and play it on a different platform.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
sörine;93498445 said:

Maybe like FFXIV he just wan
keep it one console fo (or maybe not I forget the reason why it's not on he Xbox 360, could be just microsoft didn't allow them).

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Maybe like FFXIV he just wana kep it one consol (o maybe not I foge the reason why it's not on he Xbox 360, could be just microsoft didn't allow them).

Yeah they wanted to be on Xbox 360, but Microsoft's policies at the time prevented that.

Their core platform choice so far makes sense though I feel.

Dragon Quest appeals to the "everyone" audience, which is primarily on smart devices and Nintendo platforms, or might have a cheapy PC.

Final Fantasy tends to appeal to hardcore gamers that primarily have PlayStation or Xbox consoles, or gaming PCs.

That's not to say there aren't people who own both types of platforms, they definitely do, but if you already hit the people that overlap by being in just one group, there's not much point to release on both.

sörine

Banned
I still can't believe Microsoft wouldn't make an exception for FFXIV. They basically handed Sony a defacto console exclusive that one.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Yeah they wanted to be on Xbox 360, but Microsoft's policies at the time prevented that.

Makes sense. I imagine Nintendo had somethin to do with the wii u port. So outside of markt research I'd imagine that being the other reason they may not port it (or at least anytime soon, if they decide not to).

sörine

Banned
Makes sense. I imagine Nintendo had somethin to do with the wii u port. So outside of markt research I'd imagine that being the other reason they may not port it (or at least anytime soon, if they decide not to).
I still feel like Nintendo's going to give DQ one last overseas push. I don't know if that includes DQX or not but I hope it does.

Tripon

sörine;93500944 said:
I still feel like Nintendo's going to give DQ one last overseas push. I don't know if that includes DQX or not but I hope it does.
Nintendo would push the exclusive DQ7 remake over one possible version of DQ10. Only way we see DQ 10 is if SE gets their heads out of their asses and support their games.

sörine

Banned
Nintendo would push the exclusive DQ7 remake over one possible version of DQ10. Only way we see DQ 10 is if SE gets their heads out of their asses and support their games.
Probably. I think the best case scenario involves a joined Nintendo and Square Enix push with both releasing anything viable on a bunch of platforms (DQX PC + Wii U, DQI-VIII iOS + Android, DQVII 3DS). Sad though that even the best case scenario probably excludes Slime Morimori 3 and the Monsters games.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
They were doing surveys for Dragon Quest X's localization, but given how long it's been, I suspect the overseas release has been canned.

Given the current state of the Wii and Wii U, I'm not sure I can blame them.

Asd202

They were doing surveys for Dragon Quest X's localization, but given how long it's been, I suspect the overseas release has been canned.

Given the current state of the Wii and Wii U, I'm not sure I can blame them.

Yeah a sub based MMO on Wii and Wii U would be disastrous in the west.

sörine

Banned
I wouldn't expect the Wii version to make it west anyway. A Wii U & PC digital release with a free to play option could work but I don't know if SE really wants to do the work to make that happen.

hiska-kun

Sellthrough:

Puzzle & Dragons Z - 50-60% (the blog expects several hundred thousands sales for first week)
Abunaga's Ambition - 60%
Call of Duty - 30%
Monster Hunter Frontier - multiplayer already stopped?? (I guess means bad)
Kobitozukan - rabbids 5-7%

cafemomo

sörine;93502369 said:
Probably. I think the best case scenario involves a joined Nintendo and Square Enix push with both releasing anything viable on a bunch of platforms (DQX PC + Wii U, DQI-VIII iOS + Android, DQVII 3DS). Sad though that even the best case scenario probably excludes Slime Morimori 3 and the Monsters games.

With Nintendo now allowing online play with different platforms, I can totally see Nintendo sorta helping out with DQX comming West.

side note, a DQX limited edition WiiU would be hot shit.

It should be decorated with slimes just like this 3DS

4f4ddabe_DQ-3DS.jpg

Takao

Banned
Monster Hunter Frontier sold like 20k on PS3. Some ugly Fire Emblem costumes aren't going to make it sell well on Wii U. I can't imagine how poorly the Vita version will do.

Arzehn

Is Minecraft Vita still happening? Maybe that will move some systems in early 2014. Seems like a lot of people play that on nico... I figure a portable version should do great.

Shengar

I wonder if Nintendo next handheld will have different design, not clam anymore. 3DS is fantastic machine software wise, but the hardware is not so wonderful, if not garbage as some people said.

hongcha

Puzzle & Dragons Z already #1 on eShop recent charts.

I played through the Puzzle & Dragons Z demo from the 3DS eshop (Japan) today and it is fun enough that I am going to go out and buy the game now. I did not think I would like it as I do not like Pokemon and I found the iOS version to be a boring IAP-athon.

Glass Rebel

I wonder if Nintendo next handheld will have different design, not clam anymore. 3DS is fantastic machine software wise, but the hardware is not so wonderful, if not garbage as some people said.

If the 2DS is anything to go by. Clamshell is too expensive for little benefit to the average consumer.

Shengar

If the 2DS is anything to go by. Clamshell is too expensive for little benefit to the average consumer.

Yeah, I want their future handheld reverts back to GBA era. If they want to keep the dual screen aspect, they could make it like 2DS. With clamshell design, I can't imagine playing action-heavy game with it, especially something as big as 3DS XL.

Wait, do clamshell design makes a hardware somewhat more expensive?

BriBri

I played through the Puzzle & Dragons Z demo from the 3DS eshop (Japan) today and it is fun enough that I am going to go out and buy the game now. I did not think I would like it as I do not like Pokemon and I found the iOS version to be a boring IAP-athon.
I'm downloading now! Final full-priced game purchase until Kirby!

Takao

Banned
Is Minecraft Vita still happening? Maybe that will move some systems in early 2014. Seems like a lot of people play that on nico... I figure a portable version should do great.

It is, but I'm not sure Minecraft would help Vita sales in Japan. Japan is also getting a physical release of Terraria:

Which sold pretty well on PS3 for a western indie game, but won't do enough on Vita to make a noticeable difference.

Glass Rebel

Is it? I really got the impression that it was the 3d part of the 3ds that was expensive with little benefit.

Yeah, I want their future handheld reverts back to GBA era. If they want to keep the dual screen aspect, they could make it like 2DS. With clamshell design, I can't imagine playing action-heavy game with it, especially something as big as 3DS XL.

Well, the 2DS is actually one single screen because it's cheaper than two separate ones. 3D is also too expensive, no doubt.

Kenka

If anything, you need to cut the screen glass into two with the clamshell design, or select smaller ones. Maybe this has an impact on cost.

edit : what the glassman said.

more than last week but less than what they actually were

Same.

Now I actually expect the WiiU to somewhat be stable or even increase a little next week. It's obvious that it's getting a holiday boost and I'm unconvinced DQX had much to do with this week's bump.

Madouu

Same.

Now I actually expect the WiiU to somewhat be stable or even increase a little next week. It's obvious that it's getting a holiday boost and I'm unconvinced DQX had much to do with this week's bump.

I don't know, it feels like it's the combination of both. DQX software numbers are really far from being negligible considering the console's state.

L~A

Sellthrough:

Ha, what is that supposed to mean? Impossible to find other players to play with?

This is definitely the worst late port ever of VG history. Just... why Capcom? Crap game launching several years after the original version + several weeks after the PS3 + releasing on a struggling platform + subscription based MMORPG in Japan... Why? It's got all the ingredients for the "sale disaster" recipe.

And cool to see PxDZ doing quite well.

I don't know, it feels like it's the combination of both. DQX software numbers are really far from being negligible considering the console's state.

The original version didn't move much hardware so I'm not sure why an expansion pack that sold significantly more on Wii would increase hardware so. I mean, even 3D World did nothing major for its baseline. Nothing all year has created any kind of bump like this.

Ratrat

Well I hope DQ VIII bombs on smartphones. Not only it's a terrible platform to play the game on, the port itself just sucks.
It had like a 100 reviews Before release and immediately shot up to the top of the charts when available to purchase. It's going to do very well even with that rediculous pricetag.

Madouu

The original version didn't move much hardware so I'm not sure why an expansion pack that sold significantly more on Wii would increase hardware so. I mean, even 3D World did nothing major for its baseline. Nothing all year has created any kind of bump like this.

Didn't it double the sales from the previous week when it released. I do not think that is negligible in the case of the Wii U. Anyway, we'll see next week.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
The expansion still needs the original game if I understand correctly, no? So as long as there are no new big sales for the original there are no new Wii U owners in this.

Alrus

I thought MHF on PS3/Wii U were F2P? The retail release just gives you some added bonuses kinda like the PSO2 Vita retail release.

And yeah, the release makes no sense. MHF is mega niche and releasing it on the Wii U after the PS3 version just sealed the deal.

It is, but I'm not sure Minecraft would help Vita sales in Japan. Japan is also getting a physical release of Terraria:
Maybe he meant it for the West. The Walking Dead bundle saved some face for VITA. Minecraft with VITA bundle can be far more attractive to potential buyers.

Raw64life

With Nintendo now allowing online play with different platforms, I can totally see Nintendo sorta helping out with DQX comming West.

side note, a DQX limited edition WiiU would be hot shit.

It should be decorated with slimes just like this 3DS

4f4ddabe_DQ-3DS.jpg

Would love to see this released in the US: "dragon quest, since 1986-1992, 2001, 2008-2011"

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.

I just don't see how that is possible- it is an expansion only. It is literally a game selling to existing Wii U owners (unless there was some hidden bump in DQX Wii U sales I haven't seen).

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free

Road

I thought MHF on PS3/Wii U were F2P? The retail release just gives you some added bonuses kinda like the PSO2 Vita retail release.

And yeah, the release makes no sense. MHF is mega niche and releasing it on the Wii U after the PS3 version just sealed the deal.

It's not F2P. It has a monthly subscription. You can only download the game client for free (and you can play a demo area, if I'm not mistaken). The retailer releases of MHF usually come with the additional content (or the client+additional content), some subscription period and game items.

If I must make a comparison chart:

Code:
		FFXIV	DQX	PSO2	MHF
GAME CLIENT	PAID	PAID	FREE	FREE
SUBSCRIPTION	PAID	PAID	FREE	PAID

Sellthrough:

Maybe it's "wouldn't it be better to turn off the game already?" "もうマルチやめたら" with "いいですか" omitted?

Anyway, it doesn't seem like good thing. haha

Top Bottom