• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 49, 2015 (Nov 30 - Dec 06)

Ōkami

Two weeks before release, and one week after preorders opened for the Fortissimo Edition, #FE isn't on the comgnet preorder chart, neither SKU is, not as if the chart is being dominated by huge games that are coming out soon, there are games that will be out months afterwards.

I dunno, maybe everyone's preordering the bundle, that one wouldn't show up there.

Or maybe the game will bomb.

test_account

XP-39C²
Today Taiko x Idolmaster PSV will also launch in Japan. Let's see how it'll sell and how much solid was the assumption that Taiko PSV sold not-so-good because another entry had been just announced to be released a few months later. In my opinion, all versions will not reach 160k units in Japan.
How is that going to be measured? If it sells less than 160k, does that mean that people werent waiting for this game? But if it sells more, it means that people were waiting for it?

Arzehn

How is that going to be measured? If it sells less than 160k, does that mean that people werent waiting for this game? But if it sells more, it means that people were waiting for it?

I don't get the measurement either. Releasing 2 Taiko games so close to each other is going to affect both products negatively, not just the first one.

Edit: Or does Penny mean 160k including V Version?

Um Puzzles & Dragon Z looked like a GBA game and sold 1.5M... I don't think the presentation matters that much. It looks fine. You were expecting voice acting though?...

Also it's @ 474pts in comgnet.
that's probably literally the last thing people are expecting this game to have lol

and it does have voice acting in the parts, most existing players care about: during the strike shots in battle

P&D looked like the mobile game but at 240p. It seemed promising that Monster Strike went further by having a 3D world in addition to the GBA-looking action. The framerate in the latest trailer is embarrassing and although I never thought the game looked amazing in the screenshots, in motion this doesn't even look worthy of the PSP. It's more like DS 1.5.

This surprises me because, with the anime airing at the same time and the 3D world, I thought they were hoping to turn this into a solid handheld franchise, unlike P&D which bombed the second time around.

There are plenty of cheap-looking games that sell well, but these days when you look at franchises that have maintained popularity over more than one game, the presentation is always polished.

And I expected more voice acting because of the anime that's airing at the same time.

The bottom line is I thought the game had potential to start a successful handheld franchise and that it could have nice legs. Instead it looks like a pretty cheap cash-in on the name.

P&D looked like the mobile game but at 240p. It seemed promising that Monster Strike went further by having a 3D world in addition to the GBA-looking action.

uh ?
I remember I tried the demo and it looked like a Pokemon-wanna-be, the mobile game is just like a dungeon rpg with puzzle as combat mode

I don't get the measurement either. Releasing 2 Taiko games so close to each other is going to affect both products negatively, not just the first one.

Edit: Or does Penny mean 160k including V Version?

Back in August, someone was explaining the not-so-good performance of Taiko PSV by the fact that NB had announced another Taiko game for the platform slated for a few months later, implying that perhaps people were waiting for the new entry, being released in a much better period (December) and skinned with Idolm@ster songs. Fact is, it seems that both products will bomb eventually - 160k units being the aggregate number of units sold across games, therefore the announcement of a new Taiko game didn't affect much the poor performance of the former because almost no one is going to care about the latter as well.

Spiegel

Back in August, someone was explaining the not-so-good performance of Taiko PSV by the fact that NB had announced another Taiko game for the platform slated for a few months later, implying that perhaps people were waiting for the new entry, being released in a much better period (December) and skinned with Idolm@ster songs. Fact is, it seems that both products will bomb eventually - 160k units being the aggregate number of units sold across games, therefore the announcement of a new Taiko game didn't affect much the poor performance of the former because almost no one is going to care about the latter as well.

I'm guessing the someone is me, back in October and not August.

This is what I said

How many systems had another Taiko game announced a week after its release with a more fitting style, probably, considering the target audience of the system?
Not like I have any idea of how well or bad Taiko Idolmaster is going to do on Vita but having another one getting released in less than 2 months ( or 5 months after the first one) might have an effect on the performance of the first Taiko.

And it's not like Vita is living off Minecraft and barely anything else at this point. It shouldn't be a surprise if games start performing badly...

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=182003445&highlight=#post182003445

Not an outrageous statement, I think.

Launching two games from the same franchise in a 5 month period should have an effect on sales.

test_account

XP-39C²
Do you mean the average number throughout the whole Taiko franchise? If so, i dont think that is the best way to look at it. The serie was bigger before. There are other factors to concider as well. Biggest selling Idolmaster game according to Garaph seems to be about 190k, back in 2009 on PSP. There is one at about 125k (also PSP), otherwise rest is sub 100k. But regardless, i think its hard to pinpoint how much effect the previous Vita Taiko game would have on this next entry.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
YSO predictions

Week 51, 2015 (Dec 14 - Dec 20)

01. [3DS] Monster Strike < 500k (average 420k)
02. [3DS] Monster Hunter X < 240k (average 180k)
03. [PS4] Fallout 4 < 120k (average 95k)
04. [3DS] Yo-Kai Watch Busters < 100k

YSO predictions

Would you consider linking to the previous week's predictions in each post please? Would help so much so folks don't have to go searching for them. :)

Edit: Week 50's predictions.

Maniel

Banned
YSO predictions

Looks like Monster Strike will do quite well, and Fallout has a good chance of breaking 100k first week. Not bad considering I was thinking it would open at less than 70k.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
With Jojo next month I wonder what collapse it will see. Probably something (much?) worse than Ken's Rage 2.

Media Create Sales: Week 12, 2010 (Mar 22 - Mar 28)

01./00. [PS3] Fist of the North Star: Ken's Rage # <ACT> (Koei) {2010.03.25} (¥8.190) - 385.295 / NEW <84,77%>
07./00. [360] Fist of the North Star: Ken's Rage # <ACT> (Koei) {2010.03.25} (¥8.190) - 30.306 / NEW <75,09%>

Media Create Sales: Week 51, 2012 (Dec 17 - Dec 23)

05./00. [PS3] Fist of the North Star: Ken's Rage 2 # <ACT> (Koei Tecmo) {2012.12.20} (¥8.190) - 116.431 / NEW <38,89%>
00./00. [360] Fist of the North Star: Ken's Rage 2 # <ACT> (Koei Tecmo) {2012.12.20} (¥8.190) - 4.593 / NEW <41,98%>

Media Create Sales: Week 35, 2013 (Aug 26 - Sep 01)

01./00. [PS3] JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: All-Star Battle # <FTG> (Bandai Namco Games) {2013.08.29} (¥7.980) - 425.718 / NEW <80,95%>

Media Create Sales: Week 51, 2015 (Dec 14 - Dec 20)

00./00. [PS4] JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Eyes of Heaven <FTG> (Bandai Namco Games) {2015.12.17} (¥8.856)
00./00. [PS3] JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Eyes of Heaven <FTG> (Bandai Namco Games) {2015.12.17} (¥7.776)

Maybe the new JoJo will need the 90% digital sales of Halo 5 to come close to All-Star Battle.

Do you mean the average number throughout the whole Taiko franchise? If so, i dont think that is the best way to look at it. The serie was bigger before. There are other factors to concider as well. Biggest selling Idolmaster game according to Garaph seems to be about 190k, back in 2009 on PSP. There is one at about 125k (also PSP), otherwise rest is sub 100k. But regardless, i think its hard to pinpoint how much effect the previous Vita Taiko game would have on this next entry.

No.

People were justifying the poor performance of Taiko PSV (sub-100k units) by saying that another Taiko had been announced and this might have affected sales of the first entry - if this is true then Idolmaster Taiko should sell at least to compensate some of the loss in sales Taiko PSV experienced. However it does not seem Idolmaster Taiko generated much interest, implying that Taiko PSV performed poorly simply because there was not an audience for the game and people willing to purchase it despite PSV having shown that some games can sell well.

test_account

XP-39C²
No.

People were justifying the poor performance of Taiko PSV (sub-100k units) by saying that another Taiko had been announced and this might have affected sales of the first entry - if this is true then Idolmaster Taiko should sell at least to compensate some of the loss in sales Taiko PSV experienced. However it does not seem Idolmaster Taiko generated much interest, implying that Taiko PSV performed poorly simply because there was not an audience for the game and people willing to purchase it despite PSV having shown that some games can sell well.
No to what?

Yes, someone thought that the Idolmaster announcement shortly after could have some effect on sales, which i think is fair enough, but how are we going to see the pontential compensation? If it sells noticeably more than first expected? Not sure what people intially expected for the game though, cant remember seeing any specific prediction for it earlier.

No.

People were justifying

By "people", do you mean Spiegel? Because he's already owned up to saying that. Were there other people because it seems to be a more isolated thing that you're making out.

Regardless, though, Taiko is in a bit of a weird spot at the moment. Underperforming on Vita; underperforming on WiiU, seems the only safe place is 3DS. I doubt there's much of an audience for it on PS4 either.

(I would like to see where both the Vita & WiiU games end up at in the end of 2015 list though, because as I've said to you a few times before, Taiko games seem to get minor legs while never appearing in the top 50 and then show up higher than we remember on end-of-year lists).

No to what?

Yes, someone thought that the Idolmaster announcement shortly after could have some effect on sales, which i think is fair enough, but how are we going to see the pontential compensation? If it sells noticeably more than first expected? Not sure what people intially expected for the game though, cant remember seeing any specific prediction for it earlier.

By "people", do you mean Spiegel? Because he's already owned up to saying that. Were there other people because it seems to be a more isolated thing that you're making out.

Regardless, though, Taiko is in a bit of a weird spot at the moment. Underperforming on Vita; underperforming on WiiU, seems the only safe place is 3DS. I doubt there's much of an audience for it on PS4 either.

(I would like to see where both the Vita & WiiU games end up at in the end of 2015 list though, because as I've said to you a few times before, Taiko games seem to get minor legs while never appearing in the top 50 and then show up higher than we remember on end-of-year lists).

I think we're giving too much space for a game that noticeably underperformed and another one that will likely last in the chart two weeks at most.

Taiko fits well on platforms with a sizeable and family audience. NB should totally try to bring the IP on mobile.

test_account

XP-39C²
I think we're giving too much space for a game that noticeably underperformed and another one that will likely last in the chart two weeks at most.

Taiko fits well on platforms with a sizeable and family audience. NB should totally try to bring the IP on mobile.
Well, i was just wondering how to measure if there will be any effect or not, would maybe be less space given if there was a directly answer to that :)

Yeah, mobile could be a good fit if they find a good way to monitize it, i agree.

Well, i was just wondering how to measure if there will be any effect or not, would maybe be less space given if there was a directly answer to that :)

I expected Taiko PSV to reach 200k units. The game sold less than 100k units (it was close for MC, around 80k for Famitsu). If it was really affected by the announcement of Idolmaster Taiko, then I would expect the latter to sell at least around 60-70k units, such that overall sales would approach the 200k mark. Not happening.

YSO predictions

YW is a monster.

COMG weekly

[3DS] Monster Hunter Cross - 534pt
[PS4] Rainbow Six Siege - 57pt
[3DS] Mario & Luigi: Paper Jam - 44Pt
[Vita] Steins;gate 0 - 34Pt
[WiiU] Splatoon - 31pt
[PS4] Gravity Rush Remastered - 31pt
[3DS] Youkai Watch Busters white dog Corps - 31pt
[Vita] Valkyrie Drive Bhikkhuni- 30pt
[PS4] Steins;gate 0 - 28Pt
[Vita] MineCraft: PlayStation Vita Edition - 26Pt
[3DS] Animal Crossing Happy Home Designer - 26Pt
[WiiU] Super Mario Maker - 23pt
[3DS] Disney Magic Castle My Happy Life 2 - 22Pt
[Vita] The Legend of Heroes Sora no Kiseki SC Evolution - 21Pt
[Vita] Idol master must Songs blue board - 21pt
[3DS] Youkai Watch Busters Akaneko-dan - 19pt
[Vita] Idol master must SONGS red board - 18pt
[PS4] Call of Duty Black Ops III - 18pt
[PS4] StarWars Battlefront - 18pt
[3DS] Sumikko Gurashi: Omise Hajimerundesu - 17pt

Ōkami

1. [3DS] Monster Hunter X: 534pts
  2. [PS4] Rainbow Six: Siege - 57pts
  3. [3DS] Mario & Luigi: Paper Jam Mix - 44pts
  4. [PSV] Steins;Gate 0 - 34pts
  5. [WIU] Splatoon - 31pts
  6. [PS4] Gravity Rush Remaster - 31pts
  7. [3DS] Yokai Watch Busters: White Dog Squad - 31pts
  8. [PSV] Valkyrie Drive - BHIKKHUNI - (Limited Edition) - 30pts
    [*][PS4] Steins;Gate 0 - 28pts
  9. [PSV] Minecraft: PlayStation Vita Edition - 26pts
  10. [3DS] Animal Crossing: Happy Home Designer - 26pts
  11. [WIU] Super Mario Maker - 23pts
  12. [3DS] Disney Magic World 2 - 23pts
  13. [PSV] The Legend of Heroes Sora no Kiseki SC Evolution (Limited Edition) - 21pts
    [*][PSV] The IdolM@ster: Must Songs - Ao-Ban - 21pts
  14. [3DS] Yokai Watch Busters: Red Cat Team - 19pts
  15. [PSV] The IdolM@ster: Must Songs - Aka-Ban - 18pts
  16. [PS4] Call of Duty: Black Ops III - 18pts
  17. [PS4] Star Wars: Battlefront - 18pts
  18. [3DS] Sumikko Gurashi: Omise Hajimerundesu - 17pts

SarusGray

&#332;kami;189087923 said:
  13. [PSV] The Legend of Heroes Sora no Kiseki SC Evolution (Limited Edition) - 21pts

Thank goodness, I thought Gravity Rush bombed wayyyy harder than that. LOH might have sold less than expected but those Limited Editions are very pricey so they should pull in a significant profit for them.

test_account

XP-39C²
I expected Taiko PSV to reach 200k units. The game sold less than 100k units (it was close for MC, around 80k for Famitsu). If it was really affected by the announcement of Idolmaster Taiko, then I would expect the latter to sell at least around 60-70k units, such that overall sales would approach the 200k mark. Not happening.
Fair enough. We'll see if the final LTD will be close to 60k-70k or not =)

They have?

ios only though, so not hitting everyone but its been running for quite what looks like 5(!) years now so I imagine its been doing something right
Any AppAnnie info on that game?

horuhe

Rakuten Books Ranking Week 50, 2015 (Dec 07 - Dec 13)

01./02. [3DS] Disney Magic World 2
02./04. [3DS] Sumikko Gurashi: Omise Hajimerundesu
03./01. [3DS] Monster Hunter X
04./03. [3DS] Mario & Luigi: Paper Jam
05./05. [WiiU] Splatoon #
06./06. [WiiU] Splatoon
07./08. [3DS] Animal Crossing: Happy Home Designer
08./07. [3DS] PriPara Mezase! Idol Grand Prix No.1!
09./10. [WiiU] Super Mario Maker
10./11. [WiiU] Super Mario Maker #
11./12. [3DS] Pokémon Super Mystery Dungeon
12./15. [PSV] Minecraft: PlayStation Vita Edition
13./29. [3DS] Rhythm Heaven: The Best+
14./14. [3DS] Yo-Kai Watch Busters: White Dog Squad
15./19. [3DS] Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS
16./09. [PS4] Star Wars: Battlefront
17./20. [WiiU] Taiko no Tatsujin: Atsumete Tomodachi Daisakusen!
18./24. [PSV] God Eater: Resurrection
19./28. [3DS] Mario Kart 7
20./17. [3DS] Aikatsu! My No.1 Stage!

Rakuten Books Pre-Order Ranking Week, 50 (Dec 07 - Dec 13)

01./03. [3DS] Monster Strike
02./04. [PS4] Fallout 4
03./09. [PS4] JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Eyes of Heaven
04./06. [PSV] Mobile Suit Gundam: Extreme VS Force
05./13. [PSV] Exist Archive: The Other Side of the Sky

------

Before commenting why there is no Steins;Gate 0 on chart, it's because it became unavailable 24 hours after release. As I posted some pages ago, it was everywhere in the last week's pre-order chart.

Rakuten Books Pre-Order Ranking Week, 49 (Nov 30 - Dec 06)

01./06. [PSV] Steins;Gate 0
02./04. [PS4] Steins;Gate 0
03./03. [3DS] Monster Strike
04./02. [PS4] Fallout 4
05./05. [PS3] Steins;Gate 0

About Monster Hunter X, there is stock but it becomes unavailable immediately. They are strongly recommending to purchase the digital version instead.

----

In Sofmap Akiba, Steins,Gate 0 have become a "wanted" product. There is a very little supply of units.

Jn1GKCB.jpg

And again, some re-stock of the Splatoon amiibo, that became available and is expected to move some units during this holiday.

EDIT: Btw, at least on Rakuten, God Eater Resurrection is being cutpriced. It begins.

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
Pokemon Super Mystery Dungeon may reach 300k woot

Youkai Watch got nothing

Mory Dunz

&#332;kami;189087923 said:

M&L could do with a little legs

hiska-kun

Tsutaya's Ranking Week 50 2015

01./01. [3DS] Monster Hunter X <ACT> (Capcom)
02./00. [PSV] Valkyrie Drive: Bhikkhuni <ACT> (Marvelous)
03./00. [PS4] Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six: Siege <ADV> (Ubisoft)

04./02. [3DS] Mario & Luigi: Paper Jam <RPG> (Nintendo)
05./00. [PS4] Gravity Rush Remastered <ADV> (Sony Computer Entertainment)
06./00. [PSV] Steins;Gate 0 <ADV> (5pb.)

07./05. [WIU] Splatoon <ACT> (Nintendo)
08./08. [WIU] Super Mario Maker <ETC> (Nintendo)
09./09. [3DS] Disney Magic World 2: My Happy Life <ETC> (Bandai Namco Games)
10./00. [PS4] Steins;Gate 0 <ADV> (5pb.)
11./10. [3DS] Yo-kai Watch Busters: White Dog Squad <ACT> (Level 5)
12./07. [PSV] Minecraft: PlayStation Vita Edition <ADV> (Sony Computer Entertainment)
13./11. [3DS] Yo-kai Watch Busters: Red Cat Team <ACT> (Level 5)
14./00. [PSV] The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky SC Evolution <RPG> (Kadokawa Games)
15./00. [PSV] The Idolm@ster: Must Songs - Blue Board <ACT> (Bandai Namco Games)

16./06. [PS4] Call of Duty: Black Ops III <ACT> (Sony Computer Entertainment)
17./00. [PSV] The Idolm@ster: Must Songs - Red Board <ACT> (Bandai Namco Games)
18./03. [PS4] Star Wars: Battlefront <ACT> (Electronic Arts)
19./00. [PS3] Steins;Gate 0 <ADV> (5pb.)
20./13. [3DS] Sumikko Gurashi: Omise Hajimerundesu <ETC> (Nippon Columbia)

SarusGray

Tsutaya's Ranking Week 50 2015

01./01. [3DS] Monster Hunter X <ACT> (Capcom)
02./00. [PSV] Valkyrie Drive: Bhikkhuni <ACT> (Marvelous)
03./00. [PS4] Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six: Siege <ADV> (Ubisoft)

04./02. [3DS] Mario & Luigi: Paper Jam <RPG> (Nintendo)
05./00. [PS4] Gravity Rush Remastered <ADV> (Sony Computer Entertainment)
06./00. [PSV] Steins;Gate 0 <ADV> (5pb.)

07./05. [WIU] Splatoon <ACT> (Nintendo)
08./08. [WIU] Super Mario Maker <ETC> (Nintendo)
09./09. [3DS] Disney Magic World 2: My Happy Life <ETC> (Bandai Namco Games)
10./00. [PS4] Steins;Gate 0 <ADV> (5pb.)
11./10. [3DS] Yo-kai Watch Busters: White Dog Squad <ACT> (Level 5)
12./07. [PSV] Minecraft: PlayStation Vita Edition <ADV> (Sony Computer Entertainment)
13./11. [3DS] Yo-kai Watch Busters: Red Cat Team <ACT> (Level 5)
14./00. [PSV] The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky SC Evolution <RPG> (Kadokawa Games)
15./00. [PSV] The Idolm@ster: Must Songs - Blue Board <ACT> (Bandai Namco Games)

16./06. [PS4] Call of Duty: Black Ops III <ACT> (Sony Computer Entertainment)
17./00. [PSV] The Idolm@ster: Must Songs - Red Board <ACT> (Bandai Namco Games)
18./03. [PS4] Star Wars: Battlefront <ACT> (Electronic Arts)
19./00. [PS3] Steins;Gate 0 <ADV> (5pb.)
20./13. [3DS] Sumikko Gurashi: Omise Hajimerundesu <ETC> (Nippon Columbia)

Tom Clancy so high? Interesting. Looks like PS3 is on its way out and PS4 is becoming a viable console platform. Yay.

Mory Dunz

Is it possible M&L could have less than a 10% drop?

It seems to be above Splatoon on the various store stuff. And Splatoon will probably be around 35-40k again right?

I'm looking for anything at this point. M&L and PM can't die.
At least not until i get my console PM...

Ōkami

Splatoon should hit 1 million in JP soon. Crazy.

How long as it been that a home console game has done that as a new IP?
Last one must've been Wii Sports, that is if you count all those Wii games as one series, else it'd be Wii Party in 2010.

Before that it was the original Kingdom Hearts.

horuhe

Is it possible M&L could have less than a 10% drop?

It seems to be above Splatoon on the various store stuff. And Splatoon will probably be around 35-40k again right?

I'm looking for anything at this point. M&L and PM can't die.
At least not until i get my console PM...

Well, in my opinion, there will be a very low drop but not that low and, at least on Rakuten, are being counted two SKUs of Splatoon, the bundle (#) and the game itself, so I don't think Mario and Luigi could stop that increase in sales that Splatoon is experiencing.

hiska-kun

M&L could do with a little legs

A little of legs to the bomba bins. Even it's Christmas season, there's no way to sell that 275k shipment.

Thank goodness, I thought Gravity Rush bombed wayyyy harder than that. LOH might have sold less than expected but those Limited Editions are very pricey so they should pull in a significant profit for them.

And how many units do you think GR has sold?

uh ?
I remember I tried the demo and it looked like a Pokemon-wanna-be, the mobile game is just like a dungeon rpg with puzzle as combat mode

You're right, I knew it had an RPG element but I didn't realize it was anchored in some type of top-down, DS-level Pokemon world.

I looked at it on YouTube, but even with that, I would expect a decision to go with a full 3D world to go along with higher production values. P&D looked very basic but it went for a simple style in the first place. Monster Strike seemed to be going bigger, but judging by the framerate in the video, the textures, the aliasing, the dull colors and the flat lighting, it seems like the production values are also very low. It looks similar to but worse than Sonic Boom 3DS, as at least that game is bright and colorful and the framerate is good. The Monster Strike anime is bright and colorful as well so there's no reason for the game to look so graphically depressing.

More importantly, the audience they are aiming the anime and the game at seems to be older. They're trying to target older children and teenagers and that's a demographic that is more critical of graphics and performance.

We'll see but I think we could have seen a teenage Youkai Watch - so not as big but still big - and instead it seems like they're not taking this very seriously. To make a comparison with other games on the system, Attack on Titan and Final Fantasy Explorers are also games that could have been much bigger with appropriate production values. I think it's a waste of the Monster Strike IP. Maybe the game is better than the trailers would suggest and will launch a highly successful franchise, but I'm not holding my breath.

I do expect this game to reach a million though, to be clear.

I'll try not to be too salty about Gravity Rush 2, but I doubt it'll be as much fun to play with a DS4 than on a Vita. It won't be the same feeling. Plus open worlds on home consoles are not very special anymore. I understand that since there won't be another handheld from Sony, I guess the game had to jump ship while there was still time, but I don't think it'll be a very successful game anyway.

Top Bottom