• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 49, 2016 (Dec 05 - Dec 11)

orochi91

Ōkami;226603931 said:
What else would the come out on, Wii U?

There's no other platform worth developing for.
Agreed, for the Japanese market there isn't much else they could do.

For Asia and the RotW, they can expand beyond their current choice of hardware support.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Here's the trend in how their digital revenue is going:

sega7acpz7.png

Wait does that mean they're planning Etrian Odyssey games for consoles and mobile/PC? Or is that just talking about what they're already doing? And is it counting eShop as digital(I doubt it).

The infographics are pretty clear but I'm still confused!

The console symbol is for "packaged games" (this would include handhelds) and the other one is for "digital games", which I think in this case would be the digital sales of the 3DS title.

That said, I would expect more proactive digital games out of Atlus at some point in the future as it was one of the things listed when they first bought them and they've finally gotten Persona 5 out the door.

Alrus

Ōkami;226603931 said:
What else would the come out on, Wii U?

There's no other platform worth developing for.

If the goal is growth outside of Japan they should at least consider PC releases to be honest.

Eolz

Wait does that mean they're planning Etrian Odyssey games for consoles and mobile/PC? Or is that just talking about what they're already doing? And is it counting eShop as digital(I doubt it).

The infographics are pretty clear but I'm still confused!

Pretty sure the infographics are just about the history of those series.

Oregano

Here's the trend in how their digital revenue is going:

sega7acpz7.png

The console symbol is for "packaged games" (this would include handhelds) and the other one is for "digital games", which I think in this case would be the digital sales of the 3DS title.

That said, I would expect more proactive digital games out of Atlus at some point in the future as it was one of the things listed when they first bought them and they've finally gotten Persona 5 out the door.

Pretty sure the infographics are just about the history of those series.

It was the digital games symbol throwing me off. I didn't think there was any other Etrian releases and I wasn't sure they'd include digital sales on 3DS.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Okay, so, this part of the annual report really highlights why I feel Yakuza 6's sales are a problem:

In the packaged game software
area, with efforts to improve profitability through an even stronger focus
on mainstay intellectual properties as a premise, we will steadily grow
the PC game area, mainly overseas. Total War: WARHAMMER has
made a phenomenally good start, posting more than half a million unit
sales in the first four days after its release in May 2016.
The Entertainment Contents Business segment’s fiscal 2020 target is
to achieve operating income of ¥20.0 billion. While the digital game area
will drive efforts to meet this target, stable revenue / maintain businesses
will need to almost double their earnings versus current levels.

Sega's plan to improve profitability is to double down on their existing franchises in an effort to double their sales. However, with Yakuza 5 -> Yakuza 6, they doubled down and saw a major sales decline. This is the exact opposite of good.

Total War: Warhammer on the other hand is an area where this obviously worked incredibly well, so the strategy isn't necessarily bad, but you can see why this series sticks out as being problematic.

Ōkami

It dawned on me that Final Fantasy XV won't outsell Minecraft on Vita.

So the best selling Vita game should outsell the best selling PS4 game, a completely ridiculous statement just a year ago.

During the last week of the year Minecraft should even be selling more than Final Fantasy.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Noone smart is going to simply stick around on the vita the writings on the wall and it's pretty much over. The quicker the developer can transition to the PS4/Switch/mobile the better because having the majority of your fanbase on the vita is the last thing you want to have.

The transition from Vita to PS4 was forced and tested many times before and failed.

Miitopia's initial shipment is between 70 and 140k, still a big range. If Media Create or Dengeki don't give the exact sell-through, next week's sales will narrow the gap and give a better idea for the shipment.

Shizuka

The transition from Vita to PS4 was forced and tested many times before and failed.

We're at a point where multiplatform releases are still selling better on the Vita, even if marginally. Unless PS4/Switch delivers some magical numbers, I don't see japanese developers and publishers dropping the Vita anytime soon.

Oregano

We're at a point where multiplatform releases are still selling better on the Vita, even if marginally. Unless PS4/Switch delivers some magical numbers, I don't see japanese developers and publishers dropping the Vita anytime soon.

Well if it's simply down to consumers preferring gaming on the go then surely Switch would be better equipped to handle that than PS4. That assessment could be wrong but it seems somewhat likely.

horuhe

Last December will look like heaven for retailers with overestimated titles. FFXV is the most overshipped game I can remember that will have huge problems selling the remaining shipment since MH3.

Media Create White Book 2018 will tell us. Especially, because starting from January the unsold copies won't be sold and the second hand market will be so good for this game. At COMG!, they have a section about used games, iirc. We will see in the next weeks if they game appears frequently.

EDIT: Btw, new shipment of Famicom Mini today.

hiska-kun

I always wonder this - how is the ps4 tracking in japan vs. how the vita was tracking in the sale time frame?

PSV sold 3,284,556 by the same time. I was thinking to make a comparison but since PSV sales are not going to improve after this holidays I thought it was meaningless. PS4 already won.

edit: updated the graph with PSV

ps4withvita_zpskscwcmlk.jpg

MacTag

Banned
How so? Would the WiiU have done worse if Aliens CM got reeased on that platform?
Would Wii U have done any better had Aliens CM come out on the system? One bad game is pretty inconsequential in the scheme of things, that's all.

Besides which, as stated earlier it's probably not worth really reading into for this particular title. 3DS didn't get Valkyria games either yet it saw plenty of Sega and Atlus support. Even Wii U got a decent amount of support from the company.

L~A

Looks like that Kancolle PS Vita game is being discontinued in January. No more shipments for physical units, and digital version delisted from PSN Store (but re-download available for players who own the game).

http://www.inside-games.jp/article/2016/12/15/104192.html

Now that's odd... any reason why? Kadokawa lost the licence or something? Unless I'm mistaken it's not a F2P title?

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Not really. It's kinda weird because the last shipment was on Saturday. I guess they have no patterns. It seems Nintendo is restocking every time they can, in order to supply units for these holidays.

It's not just Famicom Mini. There isn't a standard pattern with shipments, as we aproach holidays, for everything. There can be restocks day after day if demand for a product is high.

At least this shows Nintendo is in position to rise shipments and won't limit its potential sales.

Looks like that Kancolle PS Vita game is being discontinued in January. No more shipments for physical units, and digital version delisted from PSN Store (but re-download available for players who own the game).

Now that's odd... any reason why? Kadokawa lost the licence or something? Unless I'm mistaken it's not a F2P title?

Uhh... what? It only released in January lol.

BriBri

The Japanese App Store have their top grossing games of 2016: Monster Strike is #1, Puzzle & Dragons is #2 and Pokémon GO is #10.

huh wat. hmm I wonder if dmm is responsible for this?
vita game isn't a f2p unlike the browser version btw

test_account

XP-39C²
Would Wii U have done any better had Aliens CM come out on the system? One bad game is pretty inconsequential in the scheme of things, that's all.

Besides which, as stated earlier it's probably not worth really reading into for this particular title. 3DS didn't get Valkyria games either yet it saw plenty of Sega and Atlus support. Even Wii U got a decent amount of support from the company.
Probably not. Just wondering how the Switch would be worse out if it got that game released on it (as in the Switch dodging a bullet).

L~A

Miitopia's initial shipment is between 70 and 140k, still a big range. If Media Create or Dengeki don't give the exact sell-through, next week's sales will narrow the gap and give a better idea for the shipment.

Sorry, didn't realise Dengeki data was already out.

They have Miitopia at 28,150, but no sell through ratio unfortunately. Our only hope is MC, then, but I'm sure they will focus on Yakuza 6 so... yeah.

http://dengekionline.com/elem/000/001/434/1434188/

Okay, so, this part of the annual report really highlights why I feel Yakuza 6's sales are a problem:

Sega's plan to improve profitability is to double down on their existing franchises in an effort to double their sales. However, with Yakuza 5 -> Yakuza 6, they doubled down and saw a major sales decline. This is the exact opposite of good.

Total War: Warhammer on the other hand is an area where this obviously worked incredibly well, so the strategy isn't necessarily bad, but you can see why this series sticks out as being problematic.
But we also need to take Asia into consideration. The last two games did ship a good amount there so I don't see why it won't be the case for Yakuza 6.

I mean it is not like Sega is specifically talking about a single region here.

Since Persona 5 was a success, I am sure they will want to greenlight more spin-offs, mainline games for the Persona brand going forward, which can only be a good thing.

Not really. It's kinda weird because the last shipment was on Saturday. I guess they have no patterns. It seems Nintendo is restocking every time they can, in order to supply units for these holidays.

Thanks, I had some requests from my friends and I didn't know anything about the Famicom Mini, I just heard it's always sold out here.

Probably it's better to wait January to look for it.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I don't understand how downloads numbers are considered a success measure? I have downloaded plenty of mobile games but not every one has managed to retain a place in my phone. Is the revenue good for this one?
It's okay, but not astonishing. Downloads are usually reported by companies because they're the precursor to success due to how the business model works, since you're not going to make anything without consumer interest.

It's actually still sustaining a high download rate as well, so presumably there's reasonable word of mouth or brand cachet, given the last 3-4 Square Enix mobile titles failed to get traction on even that front.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Code:
+--+----------+----------+----------+
|  |  MCreate |  MCreate |  MCreate |
|  |   GBA #  |   NDS #  |   3DS #  |
|CY|2000.01.03|2003.12.29|2010.01.04|
|  |    to    |    to    |    to    |
|  |2008.12.28|2012.12.30|2018.12.30|
| 1|          | 1.495.593|          |
| 2| 3.974.000| 4.151.356| 4.282.142|
| 3| 2.665.900| 8.358.730| 5.497.737|
| 4| 3.524.969| 7.167.372| 4.882.040|
| 5| 2.849.564| 3.946.585| 3.176.525|
| 6| 1.136.758| 4.159.445| 2.347.554|
| 7|   370.304| 2.871.621| 1.594.181|
| 8|    50.770|   657.787|          |
| 9|          |    68.973|          |

3DS will be at ~2m for 2016. It showed a good hold its last big year.

L~A

Yup, Nintendo really played their cards well with the Nintendo 2DS. Probably was as effective, if not even more, than an actual price drop (and didn't have a negative impact on revenue).

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Mario Maker vol.126:

Something that couldn't be easily measured was the real power of the franchise.

Install base is something that can have serious effect on multimillion sellers. Mario Kart and Mario Bros. suffered on Wii U because of that. Even on 3DS it played its role for some games.

With a cheap port of a one year old game selling so well on 3DS there is the question how strong Mario Maker really is and how high it could go if it was a 3DS instead of Wii U title.
Sales of a potential sequel on Switch, like Splatoon, will be interesting (if it's a proper sequel and not a repeat of the same formula).

Wii ports on 3DS like Donkey Kong and Xenoblade apparently weren't limited from Wii instalbase and as a result their sales on 3DS weren't anything special.

Top Bottom