• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 5, 2013 (Jan 28 - Feb 03)

And this is a good indicator for the Wii U... how? Also, it's arguably the LAST of its generation (you know, power-wise).
We are speaking of sales here, and not about power. In terms of market and competition, WiiU is the FIRST of his generation.
How this is a good thing for the WiiU? I already said.
It's not the same to be selling 10-15k a week when your competitors are still near a year away, that doing it when your competitor is selling near 10 times as much as you and has a huge userbase on it.

The fact is that next year PS3 will be dead, maybe there will be still some games for it since development times now are at least of 1-2 years or even more in some cases, but third parties are now investing on future, and this is on the console market, WiiU against PS4 and Durango. And WiiU has near 700.000 consoles sold at this moment and a first party behind that will support it to the end no matter what, with some games that will for sure move hardware.

This is how the things are from a business point of view, and this is why the WiiU is still far from being a vita. In one year, when Nintendo's strongest cards are on the table, if the console is still struggling like it does at this moment and with a PS4 dominating the hardware weekly sales with an average of 60.000, then we could say WiiU is on Vita's league.

Nah, I was just taking the mickey because Sony do a 'friend referral' scheme for the Vita which is more or less what you were suggesting.

I don't think MH has that kind of crazy appeal in the west but I might well be wrong.

Ah some sort of 'friend referral' program could be a great idea! Could really help grow the community.

MH totally has that appeal now, with MH Tri doing really well on Wii in NA for how long NoA took to get it over. Everything keeps getting screwed up by how long they take to bring it over, the timing is so important for these things!

On this. How many Namco games have their been on Vita?
AKB
Gundam Breaker
God Eater 2
Mobile Suit Gundam SEED Battle Destiny
One Piece: Pirate Warriors 2
Project Versus J
Ridge Racer
Tales of Innocence R
Tales of Hearts R
Touch My Katamari

They also republished A-Men, Shinobido 2, and MUD Motocross in other regions.

EDIT: And published EDF 2017 Portable in Europe.

test_account

XP-39C²
Outsold by 3DS.
Not outsold by the WiiU though :p

Seriously though, as everyone expected, the 3DS would end up selling a lot more than the PS3, so that isnt really much of a surprise. I just wanted to mention that the PS3 reached 9 million this week (well, last week). The 3DS passed the PS3 a while ago, so the 3DS (or any other system for that matter) wasnt that relevant to my point :)

We are speaking of sales here, and not about power. In terms of market and competition, WiiU is the FIRST of his generation.
It's not the same to be selling 10-15k a week when your competitors are still near a year away, that doing it when your competitor is selling near 10 times as much as you and has a huge userbase on it.

The fact is that next year PS3 will be dead, maybe there will be still some games for it since development times now are at least of 1-2 years or even more in some cases, but third parties are now investing on future, and this is on the console market, WiiU against PS4 and Durango. And WiiU has near 700.000 consoles sold at this moment and a first party behind that will support it to the end no matter what, with some games that will for sure move hardware.

This is how the things are from a business point of view, and this is why the WiiU is still far from being a vita. In one year, when Nintendo's strongest cards are on the table, if the console is still struggling like it does at this moment and with a PS4 dominating the hardware weekly sales with an average of 60.000, then we could say WiiU is on Vita's league.

quoted for intelligence.

E-Cat

The point I'm trying to make is that if sales are bad now, with no competition, it's not necessarily a good thing. And at the rate it's going, by the time the PS4 launches, the differences in installed base will be negligible at best.

I'm not ready to proclaim the Wii U as a Vita quite yet, but your logic here doesn't hold water. Looking at these sales won't sway the third-parties, and will certainly not divert their resources from the kinds of titles that are enabled by the upcoming consoles.

Nintendo's salvation lies in its first-parties, as always.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
U needs games fast and hard. I guess Mario is the only one game driving the sales

Paper Mario showing good legs. Nice to see, so hopefully we'll get a new entry for the U

NSMB2, AC...tremendously steady. I wonder how much the former is going to sell by the end of its lifecycle

I don't think most sane people would dispute that Wii U's long-term prospects are considerably brighter than Vita's.

But since even GC numbers would be considerably brighter than Vita's long-term prospects, that's not terribly reassuring.

Foshy

My weekly Wii U - Vita launch comparison:

1Ymjh.png

mclem

So all platforms stabilized, except for 3ds who is on its own schedule?
3ds may have stabilised too - consistent numbers, no huge release. It's just that it's stabilised at a level shitloads higher than anything else.

faridmon

Remarkable hold for Fanatsy life and Inazumi 11 is still charting. Better outlook for the Dev.

Whatever happened with the I11 1-2-3?

The point I'm trying to make is that if sales are bad now, with no competition, it's not necessarily a good thing. And at the rate it's going, by the time the PS4 launches, the differences in installed base will be negligible at best.
Well, this "no competition" is a sentence I use to refere to the situation from a Third Party perspective. From a casual consumer pov that wants a console now, WiiU is competing right now with all the consoles available at sale, being the PS3 the direct competition.

I'm not ready to proclaim the Wii U as a Vita quite yet, but your logic here doesn't hold water. Looking at these sales won't sway the third-parties, and will certainly not divert their resources from the kinds of titles that are enabled by the upcoming consoles.

These sales won't make third parties that don't want to work for the system to rethink their strategy, but it won't make the ones that are working on games or are planning to do it to abandon their projects or change their minds.

Nobody knows how much will the PS4 sell when launches, and since the WiiU has a modern enough hardware on it, even if the difference in raw power is big, it's not an impossible scenario to think of going multiplatform for at least the 2014-2015 releases.

Subtle

You say it like it's a bad thing. This was expected.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
Really crazy they're this close and the Vita is considered dead by GAF.

Neogaf claimed the Vita dead during its first nine weeks? If anything, they kept moving the goalposts "wait until X is released", "wait until Christmas", "wait until Soul Sacrifice"

and Nintendo actually has mass market IPs, unlike Sony. They'll manage to set the U on the proper course, no doubts about that

Hero

Wonder what 3DS numbers will look like next week.

And I hope Iwata looks as these Wii U numbers and realizes you can't get away with launching a system and then not having more than five games for the first three months of the new year. Fucking pathetic.

NotLiquid

Probably because Vita's been out for much longer, has very few games on the way and never seemed to have much of a future plan for anything that's going to kick it back into gear. Wii U at least ought to rebound later in the year once those heavy hitters come around.

Both are still doing pretty bad right now though.

Except that Vita, with a better library of games, is doing equally poor in a geographical territory that is more generous to handheld systems. The Wii U is performing closer to the current standard set by the Japanese market and by its contemporary competitors than the Vita when analyzed by the same criteria.

test_account

XP-39C²
Neogaf claimed the Vita dead during its first nine weeks? If anything, they kept moving the goalposts "wait until X is released", "wait until Christmas", "wait until Soul Sacrifice"

and Nintendo actually has mass market IPs, unlike Sony. They'll manage to set the U on the proper course, no doubts about that
Someone said that it was dead very early on, but i dont think it were that many who said it. Others did say it kinda indirectly though, saying that things looked very bad and that the "wait for" games might not do much for the hardware sales etc..

Wonder what 3DS numbers will look like next week.

And I hope Iwata looks as these Wii U numbers and realizes you can't get away with launching a system and then not having more than five games for the first three months of the new year. Fucking pathetic.
I think that Nintendo initially planned on releasing more WiiU games at a steady pace, but then they got some developement problems under way that caused delay.

Three major differences:

- 3DS surpassed PS3's 6yr LTD in its second Christmas; however, no one is saying PS3 was a flop because of this: Home console market is much smaller in Japan compared to the handheld; Wii and PS3 together have sold almost less than PSP, let alone DS or DS+PSP.

- Vita has no major games in its schedule and all the system sellers are now on the 3DS; Wii U, even without considering the 3rd party support, has the benefit of Nintendo support

- Wii U doesn't have a considerably more capable competitor, unlike the case with Vita which is selling almost 1/10th of 3DS.

---
Don't forget that 3DS was doing very poorly initially, before the price cut and heavy hitters coming out, but particularly for the second reason above, people didn't count it out.

Spiegel

Except that Vita, with a better library of games, is doing equally poor in a geographical territory that is more generous to handheld systems. The Wii U is performing closer to the current standard set by the Japanese market and by its contemporary competitors than the Vita when analyzed by the same criteria.

NSMB alone is bigger than everything released on Vita combined.

WiiU is performing abysmally. The only difference is that the Vita has been performing abysmally for a whole year.

E-Cat

These sales won't make third parties that don't want to work for the system to rethink their strategy, but it won't make the ones that are working on games or are planning to do it to abandon their projects or change their minds.
Like I said, inconsequential.
Nobody knows how much will the PS4 sell when launches, and since the WiiU has a modern enough hardware on it, even if the difference in raw power is big, it's not an impossible scenario to think of going multiplatform for at least the 2014-2015 releases.
I remain skeptical. Beyond a certain discrepancy in power, downgrading assets won't be as straightforward as you'd think. It's not quite as bad as the Wii situation, but even simple ports are not a foregone conclusion.
You say it like it's a bad thing. This was expected.
Expected, yes. Third-parties wouldn't hurt, either.

zroid

Banned
My weekly Wii U - Vita launch comparison:

http://puu.sh/1Ymjh.png[IMG][/QUOTE]

That's remarkable. When was Vita's first significant hardware bump (due to a game release)? I think Game & Wario will do something for Wii U, but it won't be much.

NSMB alone is bigger than everything released on Vita combined.

WiiU is performing abysmally. The only difference is that the Vita has been performing abysmally for a whole year.

They're both performing poorly. I've said that. My point, however, is that the Vita has fewer excuses than the Wii U to explain their equally horrid performances, so few as to lend credence to the belief that it is dead whereas the Wii U is more so in an ugly coma.

test_account

XP-39C²
They're both performing poorly. I've said that. My point, however, is that the Vita has fewer excuses than the Wii U to explain their equally horrid performances, so few as to lend credence to the belief that it is dead whereas the Wii U is more so in an ugly coma.
Out of curiousity, what are the excuses? I know that the Vita has the price and lack of big title games, and the WiiU has the lack of games in the near future. What else is there?

..... You've got to be shitting me if this is the excuse you're giving here. I've seen some crazy posts on sales age but this takes the cake. Seriously, Wii U had Monster Hunter and 2D Mario at launch, Vita's biggest release to date has been Project Diva. PD isn't even a series that sells on the level of Hokuto Musou, which released on the Wii U this week and didn't even chart (Late launch or no, that's abysmal). To say that to date Vita had any sort of advantage in software in this "Race" is insane.

Top Bottom