• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 5, 2013 (Jan 28 - Feb 03)

E-Cat

Out of curiousity, what are the excuses? I know that the Vita has the price and lack of big title games, and the WiiU has the lack of games in the near future. What else is there?
Vita has the excuse of a strong competitor, I suppose. Another way to look at it, Wii U is not differentiated enough as a next-gen system to avoid direct competition with the PS3.

Wii U doing terrible now... I imagine this is just a prelude to the PS4 and Xbox 3 though.

Nextbox won't exist in Japan, I guess. PS4? With all Japanese developers still on PS3, I doubt we're going to see something relevant on PS4 during 2014. Maybe multiplatforms with PS3? I don't know. But still, home console market is declining fast in Japan. I mean, everything but 3DS is basically nonexistant.

guek

Banned
Why would that matter in a launch comparison graph?

The longer something struggles on the market, the less confidence developers and consumers will have in that product and the less likely it is to rebound?

Conversely, the quicker Wii U drop is disconcerting as well.

And like Vita, by the time games finally come it may be too late.
It's never too late, but I agree Sony is taking their sweet time with Vita, it's been more than a year now and I'm starting to see Soul Sacrifice for what it is.

They should Nintendo Direct us with some vaporwares like GOW and GT. I have high hopes for Feb 20.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
It's never too late, but I agree Sony is taking their sweet time with Vita, it's been more than a year now and I'm starting to see Soul Sacrifice for what it is.

They should Nintendo Direct us with some vaporwares like GOW and GT. I have high hopes for Feb 20.

At this point Vita has been pushed to the backburner in favor of PS4.

farnham

Banned
Probably the same of the wiiU at this point :)

Does it matter though? If WiiU falls below 10k after wii fit and wii party launches wii certainly is in trouble but if a platform gets no games, like its the case with wiiu right now, it will not sell
Can someone remind me why Wii U Sports doesn't exist?

It was announced in E 3 2011 but was never shown again. I expect it to launch somewhere down the road .

donny2112

Hokuto Musou, which released on the Wii U this week and didn't even chart

You didn't read the Famitsu chart in the OP.

I think for WiiU a lot depends on Wii Fit and Wii Party.

Unfortunately, the price of the system is still a barrier there. Remember Minna no Golf 5 on PS3 in the first year compared to prevous versions? High price + casual title = depressed/ing sales. Maybe Wii Fit U can overcome that some, since the people who bought it on Wii were already paying a lot for the board, which isn't needed to be purchased again on Wii Fit U, but Wii Party U ...

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
At this point Vita has been pushed to the backburner in favor of PS4.
I'd be surprised if Sony remained comfortable having no presence in what used to be their strongest market. PlayStation 4 likely won't set Japan on fire either.

FFX? That's what many Sony fans say is the big game that will sell Vita to people in Japan

I haven't seen someone say FFX was going to be a big system seller for Vita in months. I have doubts about the game's sales on PS3 as just an HD port let alone Vita sales let alone it actually pushing many Vitas.Vita still has nothing announced that will sell over 300k unless Soul Sacrifice blows up and looking at Comgnet (I know I know) the interest doesn't particularly seem like something a large amount of people are anticipating.

nbthedude

Not good.

Good. I have never been happier that a game did bad. The combos were terrible and shallow. The characters didn't look like their original games and Sony should have known better than to hand off this game to Super Rock. Those guys started as Broodworks and were established to make casual games. Thanks god Japanese people have good tastes and won't put up with this garbage. It is a betrayal of hardcore Sony fans and an insult to all...

er... wait. Sorry, I thought we were talking about DMC. Nevermind.

Baki

They need to cut the Vita price and be aggressive with software such as Soul Sacrifice and God Eater 2. Also engage more 3rd parties in cross PSP/Vita games. lol

Mr Swine

Banned
They need to cut the Vita price and be aggressive with software such as Soul Sacrifice and God Eater 2. Also engage more 3rd parties in cross PSP/Vita games. lol

While all good I think it's not the right time for Sony to drop the price yet.mthey need a steady stream of Vita games to keep vita selling. 2 games won't be enough

..... You've got to be shitting me if this is the excuse you're giving here. I've seen some crazy posts on sales age but this takes the cake. Seriously, Wii U had Monster Hunter and 2D Mario at launch, Vita's biggest release to date has been Project Diva. PD isn't even a series that sells on the level of Hokuto Musou, which released on the Wii U this week and didn't even chart (Late launch or no, that's abysmal). To say that to date Vita had any sort of advantage in software in this "Race" is insane.

I've made it clear that it was ONE of the reasons. And Monster Hunter, huh? Well, since you're listing ports: Persona 4 Golden, Tales of Innocence R, Metal Gear Solid HD Collection, Disgaea 3, and, outside of ports, Gravity Rush. I'll give you NSMBU as the ONLY AAA title the Wii U has there, but that's it - just one. Otherwise, to suggest that the Vita's current Japanese library cannot be compared in terms of strength, quality, or commercial potential to that of the Wii U is being extremely lenient and generous to the Vita's current woes. Furthermore, the Wii U's struggles is consistent with the current nature of the Japanese console market and with the performance of its competitors, which is a perfectly sound excuse not extended to the Vita by virtue of it being consistently mauled 5-to-1 by its competitor.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
I've made it clear that it was ONE of the reasons. And Monster Hunter, huh? Well, since you're listing ports: Persona 4 Golden, Tales of Innocence R, Metal Gear Solid HD Collection, Disgaea 3, and, outside of ports, Gravity Rush. I'll give you NSMBU as the ONLY AAA title the Wii U has there, but that's it - just one. Otherwise, to suggest that the Vita's current Japanese library cannot be compared in terms of strength, quality, or commercial potential to that of the Wii U is being extremely lenient and generous to the Vita's current woes. Furthermore, the Wii U's struggles is consistent with the current nature of the Japanese console market and with the performance of its competitors, which is a perfectly sound excuse not extended to the Vita by virtue of it being consistently mauled 5-to-1 by its competitor.

If we are just talking commercial appeal, Wii U has 2 launch games with have comfortably outsold any Vita game and another (MH 3G HD) that will shortly. Honestly, given the software lineup it's a bit shocking Vita has sold as much as it has.

Jamix012

Persona 4? Project Diva f?

What? Those games were decent at best. Neither of them would have sold 1 million on even much more successful consoles. Hype was only building around them because the Vita needed something, anything. For reference I think Resident Evil: Revelations 3DS (which many call a flop) outsold both of them.

What does that mean?

And there probably won't be many vita/non ps4 related things on the 20th so I hope that's what you have high hopes on.

What? Those games were decent at best. Neither of them would have sold 1 million on even much more successful consoles. Hype was only building around them because the Vita needed something, anything. For reference I think Resident Evil: Revelations 3DS (which many call a flop) outsold both of them.

It did.
Even a game like Run for Money! outsold them; it actually more than doubled them.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to

Fair enough. But by the time Ninty gets their act together Sony's gonna be joining the party.

L Thammy

08CFhUR.png

Launch-aligned.

uHjq6aV.png

Note, since this draws only from the top 10 it does not represent smaller titles.
e.g., software sales of zero are assumed if the console has no games in the top 10.

TrdeLrL.png

Tally of the number of titles for that platform in the top 20 for each week.
I can't find the top 20 for PS3's second week. It has been assumed as zero.

Feel free to criticize or point out mistakes.

Hero

I don't know about that. Q2 and beyond is looking much better already with Pikmin 3, Game & Wario, Wii U Fit, etc. And in Q4 I still believe we'll get 3D Mario and Mario Kart. Some hardware bundles or a price drop combined with new software could be effective just like it was with the 3DS. I don't think it will be as successful to the same capacity but at this point any increase is better than sliding to below 10K levels.

Vita never had anything huge in its future and still doesn't and it won't get any better with the competition outselling it by a factor of 10. I don't see PS4 or 720 outselling Wii U by that much ever outside of launch week.

What does that mean?

I would infer that he sees it as Sony's last-ditch attempt to save Vita in Japan, and failing that (which it will, as Vita is in far too deep a hole for any one game to save it), Vita's swan song in the region.

In Western territories, Sony still has Tearaway and Killzone as "big" exclusives for 2013, and I certainly can't see them being cancelled at this point, but I can't say I expect them to make a major marketing investment for either.

BriBri

But it is on PS3, also. MGS HD Collection for Vita was supposed to move units and the game did horribly.
Exactly this. FFX will probably do okay (if even released) but hardly be a saviour. I'm hoping Soul Sacrifice and the rumoured price-cut will help turn things around but as mentioned earlier, priorities surely lie with PS4.

I would infer that he sees it as Sony's last-ditch attempt to save Vita in Japan, and failing that (which it will, as Vita is in far too deep a hole for any one game to save it), Vita's swan song in the region.

In Western territories, Sony still has Tearaway and Killzone as "big" exclusives for 2013, and I certainly can't see them being cancelled at this point, but I can't say I expect them to make a major marketing investment for either.

I can totally see Sony porting Killzone on PS3 at some point.

Animal Crossing: New Leaf = game of the century.
BaRnI7k.gif

Complete and utter domination. 35 MILLION LIFETIME SALES.

RIP, Playstation All-Stars. You tried.

E-Cat said:
I remain skeptical. Beyond a certain discrepancy in power, downgrading assets won't be as straightforward as you'd think. It's not quite as bad as the Wii situation, but even simple ports are not a foregone conclusion.
We are speaking of the Japanese market here, where third parties in general are strugling even with PS360 hardware level.
It would be a problem if they aim to squeeze 100% of PS4's hardware, but as I see it, I think the most probable scenario is them making the games on WiiU as their base and then up-porting to PS4, at least for the first years of the new generation (and depending on sales, maybe the whole generation).

RurouniZel said:
The problem with Vita is:
1. Those games hasn't even come.
2. The competitor got them on dozens and had a year of advantage.

The PSVita scenario is not aplicable to WiiU by any means I think.

test_account

XP-39C²
Vita has the excuse of a strong competitor, I suppose. Another way to look at it, Wii U is not differentiated enough as a next-gen system to avoid direct competition with the PS3.
Good point.

Tried to fail. They have themselves to blame.
And no, it wasn't because of the marketing.
Are you saying that they deliberately tried to make a game in a way so it wouldnt sell well?

Fredrik

Controller screen
Between two generations
Quite good first party offerings
Bad third party support
No advertizing
Haunted by upcoming more powerful consoles
Failure...

Dreamcast? Or WiiU?

:(

Both yes an no. I ment it more as a rhetorical question regarding what he said (that they tried to fail).

Why asking, then? Of course it did not mean that they developed the game explicitely to not sell. But he meant that they developed the game without considering potential appeal in the market. Maybe it's more Sony's fault, but they is not that great either.

Controller screen
Between two generations
Quite good first party offerings
Bad third party support
No advertizing
Haunted by upcoming more powerful consoles
Failure...

Dreamcast? Or WiiU?

:(
Where are the good first party offerings? I'm not trying to be cheeky or passive aggressive here.

Top Bottom