• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 5, 2013 (Jan 28 - Feb 03)

Does Nintendo have the flexibility to cut the price? I think that a ~$100 price cut as the new releases start to ramp up could go a long way toward gaining sales, but it wouldn't make them much money. I'm not sure how much Nintendo can afford to lose on the hardware if they also have that 100 billion yen income target for the next fiscal year. Can they even afford a pricecut at all? I don't think they can hang at $350 next to a $400 PS4.

In Japan, that would put the basic model at ~1000 yen ($10) more expensive than the 3DS and CHEAPER than the XL. No way that's happening.

I don't think Nintendo is gonna cut the price any time soon but what I think they'll try to increase the console value by bundles.

big youth

Nintendo literally JUST told investors to not expect a price drop, so anyone expecting one in the next few months is out of their mind. ZombiU will be the first of many bundles leading up to the holiday.

farnham

Banned
Nintendo literally JUST told investors to not expect a price drop, so anyone expecting one in the next few months is out of their mind. ZombiU will be the first of many bundles leading up to the holiday.

If they slip information that they will drop the price the consumer will not buy the console for the next 6month

big youth

I understand that, but they made a point of saying they aren't cutting the price. if they were considering that option I imagine they would wait for investors to ask in the Q&A and make as nondescript a statement as possible. sorta like Sony did when promoted about Vita.

farnham

Banned
I understand that, but they made a point of saying they aren't cutting the price. if they were considering that option I imagine they would wait for investors to ask in the Q&A and make as nondescript a statement as possible. sorta like Sony did when promoted about Vita.

I understand that statements with investors cant be taken lightly. However of wii party or wii fit does not sell what they want they have little choice. Esp. With ps4 on horizon. At that point it would be either expanding the userbase for high expenses or loosing mind and marketshare and thus nkt making revenue anyways . So in either scenario iwata would have to go.

Dalthien

Price cut now does nothing much except increase losses. Wait for a game being sold that people may want to buy since it's with a price cut. Wii Fit U seems the next major game that might fit that billing. No, it is not "too late" already (at least for Japan; With the Ubisoft comments/actions, Western support seems already gone, if it was ever even there ...).

I honestly think that (bolded) would be their best strategy all around, for both Japan and the west. As you said, western support was never there anyway. The mid-tier western stuff doesn't really exist anymore. It's either AAA, or digital sub $20 stuff. The AAA pubs just don't give a shit about Nintendo. And with Nintendo offering good terms on the digital stuff, they should do fine in getting a lot of the XBLA/PSN stuff on the e-shop. And they should still do fine with the more family friendly offerings from the west. But the AAA western support won't be there.

But Iwata should be busting his butt working all of his relationships in Japan trying to make the WiiU (and really Nintendo as a whole with the 3DS included) the console for fans of Japanese content. It would be a clear distinguishing point for the system, and if done properly could provide a very workable install base in the west.

It would take a lot of backroom discussions and wrangling, but it shouldn't be an impossible task. 360/PS3 audiences have all but abandoned Japanese content over the past few years. Unless you are on the order of Resident Evil or Metal Gear, etc, Japanese stuff sells like crap in the west, and even the biggest Japanese franchises (RE, MGS, FF) don't even come close to matching the top dogs from the west (Battlefield, Call of Duty, Assassin's Creed, GTA, etc.) Throw in the extra costs and time involved in trying to match EA, Ubisoft, T2, Actv, WB, on the PS4/720, and it could really be a recipe for disaster for Japanese firms that want to compete in the west.

This is where Iwata steps in to try to rally the Japanese pubs around the WiiU/3DS. Microsoft made their pitch for Japan, and have basically pulled up stakes at this point. Sony has gone all-in on their push for the west, and have left their Japanese efforts to rot. Nintendo is the company which still has a definitive focus on catering to Japan.

And it doesn't have to be a skewed situation. As I said before, Japanese pubs could be in for a world of hurt if they really want to pursue the western market by competing with the big western publishers on the 720/PS4. If they think the last few years have been tough in the west, well...

Having a platform(s) focused around Japanese content would provide the audience in one place, instead of having it spread out thinly amongst several different platforms. And keeping the graphical/showpiece bar lower would definitely benefit the Japanese devs who have struggled to remain relevant on the PS3/360.

Will it happen - probably not. It's extremely difficult getting more than a handful of people to agree to work together on anything. But it's something Iwata should be working on, and keep chipping away at. Nintendo would have to do a herculean job at ensuring that the games are brought over to the west and marketed, and some Japanese pubs would probably need an expensive failure or two on the 720/PS4 before reconsidering their strategy - but it might actually be the best all-around fit for Japanese gaming to find a home in the west. Try to recreate the old NES/SNES type of environment, where the biggest western players were on PC/C64/etc., and most of the best NES/SNES games were Japanese games, even in the western markets.

Crazy idea - I know, and everyone feel free to commence the mocking - but it really does seem the best path forward in the west, if there's any way of starting to put it in motion.

hiska-kun

Media Create:

21./21. [3DS] Mario Kart 7 <RCE> (Nintendo) {2011.12.01} (¥4.800)
22./00. [WIU] Fist of the North Star: Ken's Rage 2 <ACT> (Koei Tecmo) {2013.01.31} (¥8.190)
23./03. [PSP] Gintama no Sugoroku <TBL> (Bandai Namco Games) {2013.01.24} (¥6.280)
24./20. [WIU] Nintendo Land <ETC> (Nintendo) {2012.12.08} (¥4.935)
25./19. [PS3] Fist of the North Star: Ken's Rage 2 # <ACT> (Koei Tecmo) {2012.12.20} (¥8.190)
26./00. [PSV] PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale <FTG> (Sony Computer Entertainment) {2013.01.31} (¥4.980)
27./24. [NDS] Pokèmon Black 2 / White 2 <RPG> (Pokèmon Co.) {2012.06.23} (¥4.800)
28./06. [PSV] Genkai Totsuki Monster Monpiece # <TBL> (Compile Heart) {2013.01.24} (¥7.140)
29./30. [3DS] Magician's Quest: Magical Town <ETC> (Konami) {2012.12.20} (¥4.980)
30./00. [PSP] Vitamin Z: Graduation # <ADV> (D3 Publisher) {2013.01.31} (¥6.090)
31./32. [3DS] Super Mario 3D Land # <ACT> (Nintendo) {2011.11.03} (¥4.800)
32./00. [PSP] Tasogaredoki: Kaidan Romance # <ADV> (QuinRose) {2013.01.31} (¥6.300)
33./27. [3DS] Pokèmon Mystery Dungeon: Gates to Infinity <RPG> (Pokèmon Co.) {2012.11.23} (¥4.800)
34./23. [PSP] One Piece: Romance Dawn - Bouken no Yoake # <RPG> (Bandai Namco Games) {2012.12.20} (¥5.980)
35./31. [PSP] Monster Hunter Freedom 3 (PSP the Best) <ACT> (Capcom) {2011.09.22} (¥2.990)
36./26. [PS3] Yakuza 5 # <ADV> (Sega) {2012.12.06} (¥8.800)
37./34. [PS3] World Soccer Winning Eleven 2013 <SPT> (Konami) {2012.10.04} (¥7.980)
38./29. [PS3] Hot Shots Golf: World Invitational # <SPT> (Sony Computer Entertainment) {2012.11.22} (¥4.980)
39./00. [PSP] Kisou Ryouhei Gunhound EX # <ACT> (G.Rev) {2013.01.31} (¥3.129)
40./33. [3DS] Style Savvy: Trendsetters <ETC> (Nintendo) {2012.09.27} (¥4.800)
41./25. [PSP] AKB1/149: Love Election # <ADV> (Bandai Namco Games) {2012.12.20} (¥7.329)
42./37. [3DS] Professor Layton Vs. Ace Attorney <ADV> (Level 5) {2012.11.29} (¥5.980)
43./44. [3DS] Aikatsu! Cinderella Lesson <SLG> (Bandai Namco Games) {2012.11.15} (¥5.040)
44./46. [PS3] Battlefield 3: Premium Edition <ACT> (Electronic Arts) {2012.12.13} (¥9.240)
45./39. [PS3] Call of Duty: Black Ops II - Subtitled Edition <ACT> (Square Enix) {2012.11.22} (¥7.980)
46./00. [PSV] Sengoku Hime 3: Tenka o Kirisaku Hikari to Kage # <SLG> (SystemSoft Alpha) {2013.01.31} (¥6.090)
47./35. [WIU] Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate # <ACT> (Capcom) {2012.12.08} (¥4.800)
48./41. [3DS] Kobito Zukan: Kobito Kansatsu Set <ETC> (Nippon Columbia) {2012.07.26} (¥5.040)
49./36. [3DS] Toriko: Gourmet Monsters! <RPG> (Bandai Namco Games) {2012.12.13} (¥5.800)
50./40. [3DS] Puyo Puyo!! Puyo Puyo 20th Anniversary (Special Price) <PZL> (Sega) {2012.12.13} (¥2.940)

Top 50

3DS - 18
PS3 - 12
PSP - 10
PSV - 4
WIU - 4
NDS – 1
WII - 1

SOFTWARE
Code:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
|System | This Week  | Last Week  | Last Year  |     YTD    |  Last YTD  |
|  ALL  |    586.000 |    685.000 |    749.000 |  4.431.000 |  5.126.000 |

starship

psycho_snake's and The Black Brad Pitt's B*TCH
[3DS] Hardware - 7500k
[WIU] Hardware - 2300k
[3DS] Pokemon X/Y - 5100k
[3DS] Monster Hunter 4 - 3900k
[3DS] Animal Crossing: New Leaf - 2000k
[3DS] Dragon Quest VII - 1300k
[3DS] New Super Mario Bros. 2 - 850k
[WIU] New Super Mario Bros. U - 800k
[WIU] Nintendo Land - 450k

test_account

XP-39C²
Just keep releasing games for the ultraniche otaku fanbase they always relied on, I guess.
Yeah, i think it is unlikey that they will start making other types of games when this is what they've pretty much have always been doing. I was wondering more about their Vita support :) But good to see that they have success with Monpiece at least.

EDIT: I forgot about their upcoming Sei Madou Monogatari game (based on that late 80's game for MSX and PC-engine). Should be out in late March for the Vita.

If they slip information that they will drop the price the consumer will not buy the console for the next 6month

"With Wii U, we have taken a rather resolute stance in pricing it below its manufacturing cost, so we are not planning to perform a markdown," he explained. "I would like to make this point absolutely clear. "

On the other hand, I think Sony simply said 'We can't discuss price cuts'

saichi

Sony might announce PS4 in just over a week and Nintendo is supposed to wait for Wii Fit U to be released to help selling WiiU? :/

I'm not sure I get your point. Announcing PS4 doesn't mean much unless the price is known and when it is released. Why should Nintendo do anything because Sony is announcing PS4?

I understand that statements with investors cant be taken lightly. However of wii party or wii fit does not sell what they want they have little choice. Esp. With ps4 on horizon. At that point it would be either expanding the userbase for high expenses or loosing mind and marketshare and thus nkt making revenue anyways . So in either scenario iwata would have to go.

Maybe but it wouldn't make sense to do it wayyyyy ahead of PS4 release. In addition, we don't even know the price for PS4 yet.

Bruno MB

Prediction League 2013 - Entire Year

Predict how much these items will sell in the entire year of 2013:

[3DS] Hardware - 6.475.000
[WIU] Hardware - 1.530.000
[3DS] Pokemon X/Y - 4.450.000
[3DS] Monster Hunter 4 - 3.100.000
[3DS] Animal Crossing: New Leaf - 2.220.000
[3DS] Dragon Quest VII - 1.350.000
[3DS] New Super Mario Bros. 2 - 850.000
[WIU] New Super Mario Bros. U - 675.000
[WIU] Nintendo Land - 440.000

Fredrik

I'm not sure I get your point. Announcing PS4 doesn't mean much unless the price is known and when it is released. Why should Nintendo do anything because Sony is announcing PS4?
Because PS4 hype will likely increase and make WiiU look even more dated as soon as PS4 is shown, potential WiiU buyers might start waiting for PS4 instead of getting a WiiU.

farnham

Banned
Because PS4 hype will likely increase and make WiiU look even more dated as soon as PS4 is shown, potential WiiU buyers might start waiting for PS4 instead of getting a WiiU.

Potential wii fit or wii sports users probably wont. That said nintendo really needs to drop the price unless ps4 is 700 dollar at launch

nordique

that same train of thought could have been said for the Vita over the 3DS, where handhelds are more prominent than consoles in Japan

it boils down to software. graphics clearly aren't the main sales driving factor for japanese consumers

so i don't think your assertion is entirely correct

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.

This is Japan not Europe.

saichi

Or people would find no interesting games at launch on a system that costs way too much then choose the cheaper option with more desired games... Sounds familiar?

The announcement hype means nothing at all.

Or people would find no interesting games at launch on a system that costs way too much then choose the cheaper option with more desired games... Sounds familiar?

The announcement hype means nothing at all.

Yes I'm sure PS3 will be still selling nicely in 2014 :)

Does Nintendo have the flexibility to cut the price? I think that a ~$100 price cut as the new releases start to ramp up could go a long way toward gaining sales, but it wouldn't make them much money. I'm not sure how much Nintendo can afford to lose on the hardware if they also have that 100 billion yen income target for the next fiscal year. Can they even afford a pricecut at all? I don't think they can hang at $350 next to a $400 PS4.

A $100 price drop less than a year after release would be an atrocious idea. Basically screwing early adopters and telling stockholders they have no idea what they're doing. We won't be getting any price drop. There's no big games released that have tanked yet and unlike the 3DS the WiiU is probably priced closer to what it actually costs

extralite

Just like AC, when shortages come... apparently the same is happening with DQVII

No kidding. It's already at position 2 on the eShop, regardless of filter. So today it outsold everything but AC. It started out at 5 on Thursday morning though so it can't be just shortages. DQVII is simply huge.

Will be interesting to see if it can get AC off the top spot, at least for a while. And if it can make the top 20 all time charts. AC and NSMB2 are the only retail games in that chart so far.

FL climbed back to 8.

Edit: Just saw that the Layton DD rerelease is at 14.

If PS4 is revealed correctly it could do some serious damage to the WiiU.

That's on the 20th, right? DQX beta and release date will be announced on the 18th. Coincidence? lol

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
When people say "Oh yeah! When PS4 is going to be announced, Wii U is finished, YADDA YADDA YADDA!!!" they really forget that E3 / Conferences haven't so much impact on the mass audience until people actually see the games promoted / near to the release, and the price being good for them. It seems like everyone forgot that 3DS was declared, in June 2010, like the undisputed winner of everything. One year later, we saw what happened.

When people say "Oh yeah! When PS4 is going to be announced, Wii U is finished, YADDA YADDA YADDA!!!" they really forget that E3 / Conferences haven't so much impact on the mass audience until people actually see the games promoted / near to the release, and the price being good for them. It seems like everyone forgot that 3DS was declared, in June 2010, like the undisputed winner of everything. One year later, we saw what happened.

If ps4 is announced with next gen FF or KH, it would generate quite a bit of interest, to put it mildly. The wii u doesn't have any strong, hype generating franchise announced.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
If ps4 is announced with next gen FF or KH, I think it would generate quite a bit of interest, to put it mildly.

Just like PS3 got such big attention at launch because somewhere in the future it would have had the next main FF / MGS title.

schuelma

If ps4 is announced with next gen FF or KH, it would generate quite a bit of interest, to put it mildly. The wii u doesn't have any strong, hype generating franchise announced.

The announcement of Final Fantasy 13 and other big franchises really helped PS3 at launch.

schuelma

This is sarcasm, but without the immense amount of third-party support announced pre-launch, it probably would have done much closer to Vita numbers early on.

Yeah I almost added that it did probably help- sales were just really bad instead of historically awful.

muu

Yeah, all it came out with was some dinosaur hunting game, and it wasn't even Turok.

farnham

Banned

Wii Fit (sold 3,5 million units and 2,3 million units respectively in japan last gen) and Wii Party (sold 2 million units in japan last gen) both sold better than any FF or KH title last gen . both slated for this year
Where it's on track to sell less than the Vita.

I would seriously wait until Wii Fit and Wii Party has launched. we can call doom after those two fail right?

Sandfox

SE is sturggling to make PS3 games so I would be surprised if those games came anywhere close to launch and even then I seriously doubt we'll get the next FF and KH games until Versus and XIV are done.

Wii Fit (sold 3,5 million units and 2,3 million units respectively in japan last gen) and Wii Party (sold 2 million units in japan last gen) both sold better than any FF or KH title last gen . both slated for this year

Just like NSMB, right? Oh wait, that already launched and has done absolutely fuck all for the system. I don't know how anyone can still expect big things from wii fit and wii party.

SE is sturggling to make PS3 games so I would be surprised if those games came anywhere close to launch and even then I seriously doubt we'll get the next FF and KH games until Versus and XIV are done.

It doesn't need to be good or come out at launch. Sony just needs it to be announced along with a teaser. FFXIII took a while to come out and it even turned out to be complete shit. But it was still the catalyst for the ps3's turnaround in Japan. Brand power and all.

Top Bottom