• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 50, 2011 (Dec 12 - Dec 18)

RamzaIsCool

The Amiga Brotherhood
I don't think the FF brand is dying - they just haven't made a good one since XII, and the public is fully aware of this. I'm sure Square Enix too will figure it out someday.

This!

I think they got the same problem that Bioware has, they got this idea that if they "streamline" their games, they can tap into the mainstream and reach bigger sales. But it turns out the mainstream doesn't have an appatite for these kind of games and they kinda alienated their core fanbase in the process. The irony of this all is what's going on with Skyrim at the moment.

Is it just me or did none of the ports of Puyo 20th anniversary that released on the 15th chart? Like, at all? Forget Final Fantasy, these are some franchise-ending bad sales right here.

JJConrad

Sucks at viral marketing
Except FF13 did fine.
Not reallllly... it was still the lowest selling game with the highest upfront percentage. The effects of the broken fanbase were present then too. FF13 just had the luxury of being one of the most hyped games of the generation.

I don't want to sound like I'm blaming the PS3. This is the result of the fracture in bases that's been the hallmark of this generation. Something I hope can be rectified next-gen.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Seeing from 20 to 30
MKWii, considering it did 16k last week, and how the other Wii games grew, should be at 22-24k.
Rhythm Heaven, which did 12k for Famitsu last week, this week should have done 17-19k
And Nintendogs should be at 16k, considering it did 11k last week ( probably, for Famitsu it's over 400k, since in the most recent chart now is at 390k ).

I know, estimations based on a mix of trackers, but maybe they won't be so wrong after all.

However, if this is the case, RR is the victim of a great divine justice.

DR2K

Banned
Not reallllly... it was still the lowest selling game with the highest upfront percentage. The effects of the broken fanbase were present then too. FF13 just had the luxury of being one of the most hyped games of the generation.

I don't want to sound like I'm blaming the PS3. This is the result of the fracture in bases that's been the hallmark of this generation. Something I hope can be rectified next-gen.

FFXIII was a colossal disappointment, you would have seen this type of drop on any platform.

I think that FF132's failure might not so much be a reflection of the death of the Final Fantasy brand, as it is this is the best the PS3 userbase can muster. Final Fantasy thrives from a balance of the dedicated and casual audiences. The PS3 certainly doesn't have the casual base like the PS2. This is made apparent by the lack of any PS3 title with the legs needed to return to the Top 20.

The PS3 has a very dedicated core base that seems to buy in unison. The top 3 PS3 games in 2010 all sold in the same range, with other clusters of PS3 games showing up further down. 132 is now selling nearly identical to Xillia and both are basically inline the every other top-tier PS3 game ever released. I have a hard accepting that the series is doomed, when this game will likely end up being the #2-3 best selling game for the PS3 in Japan.

I wonder if you can push it under the rug when it is released in the west. FF X-2 did pretty good in the west if I remember correctly.

slayzz

FFXIII was a colossal disappointment, you would have seen this type of drop on any platform.

I agree, FF13 has soured me on the FF series. I always bought the mainline FF series on day one and had beaten everyone of them but not anymore.

FF13 was such a colossal disappointment, I'm glad XIII-2 bomb.

Ravage

http://andriasang.com/comzgp/media_create_20_to_30/

[WII] 21: Mario Kart Wii (Nintendo, 04.10.2008)
[PSV] 22: Disgaea 3 Return (Nippon Ichi, 12.17.2011)
[WII] 23: Minna no Rhythm Tengoku (Nintendo, 07.21.2011)
[PSP] 24: Lord of Apocalypse (Square Enix, 12.17.2011)
[PS3] 25: Gundam Extreme VS (Namco Bandai, 12.01.2011)
[PS3] 26: The Elder Scrolls V Skyrim (Bethesda, 12.08.2011)
[3DS] 27: Nintendogs + Cats (Nintendo, 02.26.2011)
[PSV] 28: Ridge Racer (Namco Bandai, 12.17.2011)
[NDS] 29: Tamagotchi Collection (Namco Bandai, 11.10.2011)
[PSV] 30: Shin Kamaitachi no Yoru (Chunsoft, 12.17.2011)

FFXIII-2 360 not in the top 30.

Wow....no FFXIII-2 360 or Zelda in the top 30...

What are you talking about? FFXIII came out in December of 2009. A month later with the PS3's LTD in japan being 4.5 million, FFXIII sold 1.8 million. That really sounds bad to you?

watershed

Banned
Well your opinion blows. If they'd followed up XII properly, the series might not be in such deep shit right now.

;)

God yes, building on XII with hd capabilities would have been amazing. I loved how "lived in" the locations in XII felt and the vastness of the different areas. In XIII all we got were pretty backgrounds and linear paths.

LOCK

I have a solution for SE for the FF series. Have Monolith Soft make it for the Wii U. BAM! We would get a great game and Nintendo would get a successful series. Winning situation for both parties involved.

lol won't happen though...but I wish.

Or a FF12 sequel... of sorts.

Jonnyram

I have a solution for SE for the FF series. Have Monolith Soft make it for the Wii U. BAM! We would get a great game and Nintendo would get a successful series. Winning situation for both parties involved.
And their lowest sales in history for a mainline FF game, no doubt.

Or a FF12 sequel... of sorts.
There was one for DS.

jeremy1456

Well your opinion blows. If they'd followed up XII properly, the series might not be in such deep shit right now.

;)

"Might not be" are the key words here.

Personally I would like to think the sales of XIII-2 are a delayed reaction from the series going to shit with X. And XII was barely average.

Opiate

How tied to the Sony brand is Final Fantasy in Japan? From an outsider's perspective, it seems to operate almost as a de-facto first party title, despite the ports on DS.

jeremy1456

How tied to the Sony brand is Final Fantasy in Japan? From an outsider's perspective, it seems to operate almost as a de-facto first party title, despite the ports on DS.

Well I mean you could always look at the sales of XIII on the 360, and Crystal Bearers / Echoes of Time on Wii.

It's not a pretty picture. I am not in Japan myself, but I can't help but think it's pretty well tied to the Sony brand.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I don't think the FF brand is dying - they just haven't made a good one since X, and the public is fully aware of this. I'm sure Square Enix too will figure it out someday.

Fixed.

Here's my breakdown of FFXIII according to Kagari's statistics in the FFXIII-2 OT.

So... 3.977m units for PS3 and 800k units for 360.

US = 1.116m for PS3, 684k for 360.
EU = 961k for PS3, 116k for 360
JP = 1.9m for PS3

Despite going multiplatform and having a slightly lower userbase (PS3), it's still relatively strong on PS3. Same can be said for type-0, Dissidia, and Crisis Core (all three reached over 500k) in the PSP. If FFXV were to go multi, it would be ideal in my opinion if it went PS3/Vita.

GDGF

Soothsayer

Not sure that matters this day and age, really. If SE feels the mainline games are in risk of being left behind if they stay console exclusive and the VITA doesn't put up enough of a fight, I could see them seriously considering moving them Nintendo's way. Probably going to take more than this, though.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
It's not a fix. The statement is still wrecked. Go back one sequel and now we're talking.

There's still a hefty number of FFX fans as compared to XII and XIII. :p

jeremy1456

There's still a hefty number of FFX fans as compared to XII and XIII. :p

Well I'm kind of hoping that FFXIII did for the FF series what Sonic the Hedgehog 2006 did for the Sonic series.

In other words, I'm really hoping that fans of the series realize that, after a particularly bad sequel, the past few games weren't that great either.

EDIT: Obviously not on the scale of Sonic.

jman2050

Well I'm kind of hoping that FFXIII did for the FF series what Sonic the Hedgehog 2006 did for the Sonic series.

In other words, I'm really hoping that fans of the series realize that, after a particularly bad sequel, the past few games weren't that great either.

Not comparable, even the people who liked Adventure 1/2 knew they were heavily flawed, and no one liked Heroes even when it came out!

jeremy1456

Not comparable, even the people who liked Adventure 1/2 knew they were heavily flawed, and no one liked Heroes even when it came out!

I recall even Heroes getting a lot of praise. Maybe it's just selective memory on my part, but I could almost swear to it.

ULTROS!

Bad Sequel = FFXIV.

Fortunately no one played it on the PS3!

LOCK

And their lowest sales in history for a mainline FF game, no doubt.

There was one for DS.

Why would it get the lowest sales? I think many have come to terms that Square can not make an excellent next gen Final Fantasy. So why not give it to someone else to work on while they get their shit together?

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt

How would you tell? Nothing sells on 360 and the last Final Fantasy mainline game released on a Nintendo-platform was FFVI... Considering how great FF3 sold on DS, despite being a remake, I doubt it's all too much tied to Sony. If SQX were to release a mainline FF on Wii U / 3DS, we could better judge that, though.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt

When I read your first paragraph, I thought you were to say "A major disappointment leading to a great revamp of the series". I, as a Sonic fan, can tell you this much: I loved Sonic Adventure 2 (and liked Adventure 1 / Heroes) despite its flaws before Sonic 06 released and this hasn't changed at all afterwards.

It's just that Sonic-trolls (Sonic cycle crowd, but classic Sonic-only fans, too) became way more vocal after the obvious failure that Sonic 06 was. This might happen for FF as well (trolls becoming more vocal, fans of classic FF trashing modern FF). All this might not be as obvious as for Sonic thought, as SQX still polishes even their worst mainline games. FFXIII didn't have any fundamental technical flaws, it was just a bad game, what made Sonic 06 so outstanding was that it combined a horrible game with a laughable technical side.

linko9

How would you tell? Nothing sells on 360 and the last Final Fantasy mainline game released on a Nintendo-platform was FFVI... Considering how great FF3 sold on DS, despite being a remake, I doubt it's all too much tied to Sony. If SQX were to release a mainline FF on Wii U / 3DS, we could better judge that, though.

At this point I wouldn't be surprised to see FF15 for the 3DS... maybe they'll make Type-0-2 as a test case...

I just wanna make it clear that I'm talking about rebranding Versus as XV as long as it pass whatever the fuck quality tests are needed.

The problem here is inherent in the fact that doing that is a statement that Square-Enix can't even produce a real Final Fantasy XV.

Mpl90

...Is there something badly, badly wrong with SD Gundam G Generation 3D?
5 reviews on Amazon so far, 5 one star reviews.
Is something like what happened in other cases, such as DQIX (bias towards DS or other choices), or is effectively the game badly flawed as Ridge Racer?

At this point I wouldn't be surprised to see FF15 for the 3DS... maybe they'll make Type-0-2 as a test case...

The problem with FF is that it still gets a big part of it's sales from outside Japan .
So if they go handheld they have to make up in there minds that they going to lose a fair amount of sales in the west .

Erethian

Is something like what happened in other cases, such as DQIX (bias towards DS or other choices), or is effectively the game badly flawed as Ridge Racer?

A lot of trolling happens with Amazon reviews.

Kenka

Me hope it opens at 200k+. What are the shipment figures given by Bamco already ?

jeremy1456

Fanboys aren't limited to English speaking countries.

Laguna

Banned

There´s a lot of trolling going on in amazon reviews. It doesn`t help that most Gundam fans are also Sonyfans, atleast that´s the impression you get by the big number of Gundam games on PSP or PS3.

duckroll

There´s a lot of trolling going on in amazon reviews. It doesn`t help that most Gundam fans are also Sonyfans, atleast that´s the impression you get by the big number of released games on PSP or PS3.

LOL. Look, it's Laguna with his nonsense again.

Laguna

Banned
LOL. Look, it's Laguna with his nonsense again.

^^This comes from someone with an irrational hate on Level5. And who seems to be more than happy if this company crumbles down just for some silly reason. Wouldn´t surpise me if those amazon reviews were made from people with a similar mindset towards another company, that´s all I´m saying.

jeremy1456

^^This comes from someone with an irrational hate on Level5. And who seems to be more than happy if this company crumbles down just for some silly reason. Wouldn´t surpise me if those amazon reviews were made from people with a similar mindset towards another company, that´s all I´m saying.

To be fair, Level-5 pretty much sucks.

And no, they didn't make DQVIII, at least in a creative sense.

duckroll

^^This comes from someone with an irrational hate on Level5. And who seems to be more than happy if this company crumbles down just for some silly reason.

I don't like Level-5 as a RPG developer because I don't like their design philosophy. I have bought many of their games in the past and they sucked.

I'm not sure what this has to do with the nonsense where you love to draw system wars into almost every discussion you have. It's stupid. Sony-fans? Gimme a break. G-Generation gets trolled because it's not SRW. It happens all the time. It's a shittier series using SD Gundam mechs without any other series. Just because you're a fanboy doesn't mean everyone sees things as SONY or NINTENDO. Please. :p

Mpl90

Me hope it opens at 200k+. What are the shipment figures given by Bamco already ?

...Kenka, now I know why you always say that software is low. It's just you having unreasonable expectations XD

First shipment, according to Azalyn, should be 150k... and on Comgnet it didn't do so hot. Only 58pt, low for a SD Gundam G Generation game. Not Wii games low, but still low.

It's true there's also the 3DS bundle which will help, but the highest result possible for it would be 60-70k, counting a 3DS rising to Heavens

Kenka

Shipment for Gundam again, please ? Nevermind, thanks mpl ;-)

Damn, your comments leave me in the cold blizzard :-(
Is there a reason why this entry would open way lower than its PS3 parent ? Sorry, I am really uneducated about Gundam as a whole. Has the SD subseries widely less exposure than the rest ?

Top Bottom