• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 50, 2011 (Dec 12 - Dec 18)

sajj316

And by "titles", you mean MonHun. Looking at the continued strong sales of 3G it's kind of hard to not draw a direct correlation.

Yes. Monster Hunter and Dragon's Quest.

It's a difficult mountain to climb when you're software lineup is going up against Mario 3D, MarioKart, and Tri G. Kudos to Nintendo for knocking down the price and getting the right software positioned for the holidays and Vita launch.

Seems like Sony will have to pull a gamecube on the price if they want keep selling.

If they drop the price in Japan to try to gain some momentum, doesn't that mean they'd have to drop it everywhere else because it's region free and people will just import from the cheapest region anyway?

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
And by "titles", you mean MonHun. Looking at the continued strong sales of 3G it's kind of hard to not draw a direct correlation.

Monster Poop indeed.

I'd laugh if I didn't own a Vita. At least The Golden is coming so it'll have one game.

Yes. Monster Hunter and Dragon's Quest.

It's a difficult mountain to climb when you're software lineup is going up against Mario 3D, MarioKart, and Tri G. Kudos to Nintendo for knocking down the price and getting the right software positioned for the holidays and Vita launch.

It's amazing that a company (Nintendo) was so quick to make such an important decision in the face of such an important failure (3DS Initial Pricing / Software). Most companies do not do this sort of thing.

Alrus

After the disastrous zelda performance I wonder if nintendo will bail out of that franchise

It wasnt doing too hot in japan, europe and na

Just discontinuing it for one or two gens in favour of wii sports 3 and wii fit 3 woukd be much better for the wii as the typical gamer that is interested in zelda isnt paying attention to nintendo anymore

Hey you're back too!

Also, the Zelda franchise isn't going anywhere. There will surely be changes in the formula somehow, but it's not like Skyward Sword was a franchise killing bomb. Also it did really well in NA, and we have no idea about europe except for the UK (which doesn't represent the european markets at all).

tzare

i do not think sony needs to drop the price. They need to waste that money on exclusives. People buy system for games.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
Holy shit :lol

Sorry Sony, but you're going to have to do something about this. The shopping season is not even over yet for Pete's sake!

ElFly

SjfNQ.gif

Pac-fucking-man.

Playstation family outsells...uh...the Wii!

Yeah!

YuChai

will Monster Hunter 3G sold more than 1 million (or the 1.2 M target)?
If not, I don't think it's good for 3DS in the long run. Esp, Capcom seems to be the only JP company really make use of 3DS's hardware with their MT framework mobile

kswiston

Vita can still recover. PSP, 3DS, and even the PS3 to a lesser extent all recovered from mediocre to poor starts. However, they need to cut the price sooner rather than later, and start securing some solid exclusives.

While I don't think it will reach 30M like the DS (maybe 25M?), 3DS always had Mario Kart, Pokemon, etc on its side. Vita was never going to touch it.

jeremy1456

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the Vita performing very similarly to how the Gamecube did when that first launched?

The big difference is that the Gamecube had one million seller announced for the system (Smash Bros. Melee).

tzare

They needed to waste money on exclusives 1.5 years ago, not now.

Now it's too late.

it is not too late. As psp proved before, and 3Ds too. Plus Vita can handle easy 3DS ports too, and seems quite 'easy' to make games for. And Japanese top selling games do not seem to have long development times.

Sony's main failure was that MH thing. They should secure a sequel to be released within 2012

farnham

Banned
Hey you're back too!

Also, the Zelda franchise isn't going anywhere. There will surely be changes in the formula somehow, but it's not like Skyward Sword was a franchise killing bomb. Also it did really well in NA, and we have no idea about europe except for the UK (which doesn't represent the european markets at all).

What im saying is

Develop 5 wii xxx titles instead of 1 zelda title they will each at least sell 500k in japan and about 2 million worldwide

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
Great Vita price, but launches in Japan with Western games

seen a few people mention this but :

Uncharted
Dark Quest
Asphalt
MJ Experience
F1 2011

Mingol
Dream club
Mahjong
Army Corps
Lord of Apo
11hito
Katamari
Ridge
Musou
MvC
Blazblue
Disgaea
Monster Radar
Power Smash 4
Shinobido 2

Bold games are the "western" ones - i don't think the western game angle is the one. Combination of price and no games big enough to prompt someone to jump in, along with traditional handheld leaders nintendo hitting their stride with 3 -massive- games.

tuffy

Also, the Zelda franchise isn't going anywhere. There will surely be changes in the formula somehow, but it's not like Skyward Sword was a franchise killing bomb.
The obvious solution is a New Super Mario Bros.-style "throwback" title on the 3DS. Top-down 3D view, slide pad controls, map on bottom screen, an overworld explorable on foot, etc. It wouldn't cost a fortune or take years to develop, and would be more accessible at the same time.

farnham

Banned
The obvious solution is a New Super Mario Bros.-style "throwback" title on the 3DS. Top-down 3D view, slide pad controls, map on bottom screen, an overworld explorable on foot, etc. It wouldn't cost a fortune or take years to develop, and would be more accessible at the same time.
Mario was never selling as bad as zelda ss

Also there was no noticable 3d gen drop for zelda as there was for mario platformers

tzare

Uncharted
Dark Quest
Asphalt
MJ Experience
F1 2011

Mingol
Dream club
Mahjong
Army Corps
Lord of Apo
11hito
Katamari
Ridge
Musou
MvC
Blazblue
Disgaea
Monster Radar
Power Smash 4
Shinobido 2

Bold games are the "western" ones - i don't think the western game angle is the one. Combination of price and no games big enough to prompt someone to jump in, along with traditional handheld leaders nintendo hitting their stride with 3 -massive- games.

Well, Uncharted is the game that was rushed to be available at launch to showcase Vita hardware. The rest of software, even Mingol, are not hot sellers, and vita had to face cheaper 3DS with SML, SMK, MH.
It is just awful timing and software selection.
And i love what vita can offer and i have mine preordered but sony need to fix their strategies, or they will kill their awesome hardware themselves. Like almost did with PS3

If they drop the price in Japan to try to gain some momentum, doesn't that mean they'd have to drop it everywhere else because it's region free and people will just import from the cheapest region anyway?

Nah, the strong Yen and import-price mark ups would ruin that. Dropping the price in only one territory would still be a bad move and perceived as unfair.

king zell

Uncharted

i also think that not been able to play UMD games was a mistake.

Uncharted
Dark Quest
Asphalt
MJ Experience
F1 2011

Mingol
Dream club
Mahjong
Army Corps
Lord of Apo
11hito
Katamari
Ridge
Musou
MvC
Blazblue
Disgaea
Monster Radar
Power Smash 4
Shinobido 2

Two weeks is kind of early to be smug in hindsight, but it's really clear that Sony should have spaced these games out and given them some time to breath. 5 games a week would have been more than enough to keep new console owners satisfied, and they would have seen bigger first weeks for a handful I titles. And it's really, really obvious that UMD -> PSN transfers should have been free, especially if you're going to charge people out the ass for memory cards.

Trevelyon

There is no 3G standalone there is the wifi model at 25k yen and the wifi/3G at 30k yen, only the wifi model had some sold-out during the launch week but normally it has been restocked since then.
Edit:beaten

If that version has been adequately restocked this week then these numbers are worrying, but there does seem to be a real hesitation around the 3G unit or lack of immediate demand. That price premium on 3G (something some consumers just don't want and will not pay for) and the additional memory sticks on top might be a real price barrier for some and they'll simply wait for the WiFi only units to be readily available.

Alternatively, if they are just solely feeding off the remaining 3G/WiFi inventory which is part of the initial 500k and haven't reup'd, then these numbers wouldn't seem as dire as they appear, just that there is just a much, much larger demand for WiFi standalones that could have been relatively scarce this past week.

It will be interesting seeing what's Sony strategy for the device in japan. are they riding out the first year with the PSP as the biggest money maker? or they will enter in desperation mode like nintendo?

I don't think they have to do just as nintendo, Nintendo is betting heavily on the 3DS, cause that's going to be their money maker until they establish the WIIU. Having the 3DS slumping or failing, was a rather compromising scenario, not the same for situation for Sony.

I think they need to pick their poison, if they don't drop the price, they will need to invest heavily on games for the hardcore gamers, and just droping the price without having that game that will appeal to the mainstream audience won't help them in a substantial way.

Sales age is getting interesting.

That seems like a broad and kinda... stupid description.

It wasn't my idea! We could have avoided this whole conversation if you'd just been like "charlequin is totes right as always, the idea of saving FF with a 7 remake is cray cray" :p

And my larger point is that even making a solid remake, I don't see why FFVII is such a different or unique game that it would supposedly take ridiculous investment to remake properly in HD.

It's not. Remaking any FF in HD, assuming it's done as a serious effort with good production values, would be expensive. What was our estimate on the budget of the FF4 remake on DS again?

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
ff7 remake will save the vita and the final fantasy brand. two birds, one stone!

Even if this is a joke, i`m curios about the upcoming SE Vita projects. SE has always been there to support Sony plattforms with Big exclusive and intern developed titles. They had no problem announcing a FF7 spin-off before the PSP even launched and even continued their high budget PSP projects when those titles couldnt sell outside of Japan.

Right now they only have FFX HD which is a multi title - their next exclusive announcement will be very telling. If they are willing to take the risk and announce a big exclusive title, other publishers might follow as it happened before.

If you just want a guess about something that would make us laugh for years to come, Wii & PS3 > Vita.
Xl38f.jpg

Well that's bullshit, I really wanted to see them too. Well hell. :/

EDIT: Vita is only 72K? Holy fucking shit. That's far below what I expected. Way way below. :/ I thought the point of a holiday launch was to ensure early good sales numbers, not this. For compairsion, I would like to see original DS's second week launch numbers. That might be interesting.
Nuclear Muffin vindicated?

How does the Vita's drop compare to the 3DS second week?
2011-02-21

I'm all for competition in the handheld arena. I hope more people find somethIng to like in the Vita.

I do understand however, I'm not too interested in it myself, mostly because there are no games that interest me for it at launch.

Top Bottom