• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 50, 2012 (Dec 10 - Dec 16)

Lol at people claiming Wii U numbers are okay or modest. These numbers are better than Wii, both hardware and software wise, crushes PS3 and vita numbers as well. Considering there is a Wii U shortage, these numbers a huge.

Japan is embracing Wii U as it's main console.

I guess prejudice goes a long way in how facts are interrupted...

Comparisons:

PSV Shipped 500K units for launch, did not sell out of stock for over a month
PSV First Week Sales - 324,859
PSV Second Week Sales - 72,479
PSV 2 Week LTD - 397,338

Wii U Shipment unknown but Iwata has apoligized for shortage
Wii U First Week Sales - 308,142
Wii U Second Week Sales - 126,916
Wii U 2 Week LTD - 435,058

Wii had shipment problems
Wii First Week Sales - 350,358
Wii Second Week Sales - 85,439
Wii 2 Week LTD - 435,797

PS3
PS3 First Week Sales - 81,639
PS3 Secpmd Week Sales - 42,099
PS3 2 Week LTD -123,738

If the Wii U becomes the home console of choice in Japan we won't really know this from these numbers. The Vita went flat after a decent start we don't know yet how things will go for the Wii U. Wish I could see this week in December next year... Need TIME MACHINE!

we can hope.

Not sure why so many are gleeful about vita numbers given 3ds region lock and ninty's dislike of localization costs.

I see no glee. I see considerably more sadness and introspection.

That dislike of localisation costs comes from nowhere. Slow localisations is a legitimate greivance, but Nintendo don't often refuse to localise big titles (speaking as a European).
Eh, I don't know if this is true. We don't get weekly numbers for the US but Wii U launch numbers were roughly the same as Wii in the US in Nov NPD.

Indeed. In fact, with a dispassionate eye, it seems to me that there's only one area where Wii U sales are particularly concerning, and that's the UK.

For comparison this was ds best holiday season:
Week 50: 319,866
Week 51: 486, 004
Week 52: 176, 321

Wii second week was 109K (Famitsu) or 85K (MC). Launch aligned LTD are similar for MC (436K), but Famitsu has Wii higher (481K). This was the severely supply constrained Wii, however.
True although we don't know sell through numbers for wii u either when it had sold 90% of its shipment in its first two days.

If PSP sold 0 and all those sales went to vita, PSV's sales still wouldn't be anything to write home about in week 50.

Seriously, looking at those numbers one has to come to the conclusion that SCE has made deals with NB and TK in order for them to port their games to vita. One also has to conclude that no sane 3rd party will develop a vita exclusive game unless Sony pays for it. Given the lack of sony owned IPs that are catered to the JP market and their precarious financial situation where they can't really explain moneyhatting a franchise, there's not a whole lot they can do. Sony could always liquidize other assets and buy a major share in a major 3rd party developer that owns major JP centric IPs, but regardless, vita is a failure, no ifs ands or maybes about it. Will it outsell the dreamcast or gamecube in Japan? Or even the 360? I have my doubts.

On the other HW:

- Great numbers for PS3 and PSP. PS3 can sell for at least 2-3 more years with an aggressive price drop (14999Y to 19999Y) and sharing some games with WiiU, it'll pass 10 million LTD in sales. PSP will crawl past 20 million and it'll probably sell in the double digits in week 50 next year as well. They can still drop the price to 9999Y
- WiiU numbers are great for week 2. JP is really the only region where WiiU numbers are encouraging
- Wii is dying, last real Christmas as I see Nintendo killing it next year
- 3DS is beast mode, Nintendo really got the JP market with it

Um....last time I checked Wii U was doing okay in other regions outside of Japan. 400,000 in the US for example. I'm not aware of any other confirmed numbers?

MrT-Tar

You can be sure it's much more likely for Sony to localize niche games than it is for Nintendo.

Is that true though? (honest question, not being sarcastic or anything). Assuming your talking about US/PAL localisations of Japanese 3rd party games, Nintendo did a variety of stuff ranging from Inazuma Eleven, the first Etrian Odyssey, Samurai Warriors 3, Project Zero (might not count as they own the IP), Trauma Centre, etc in the last generation. I can't think of any by Sony though.

Wii U sales are pretty encouraging especially software wise which shows there wasn't the 1 week interest in the system like there was for Vita. Holy crap at Paper Mario's rebound which I think is the real story this week. Did people miss the 3DS last year when it sold this much? As for Vita, Sony is out of excuses.

m....last time I checked Wii U was doing okay in other regions outside of Japan. 400,000 in the US for example. I'm not aware of any other confirmed numbers?

It's bombing harder than Vita in the UK.

Go_Ly_Dow

02. [PS3] Yakuza 4: Heir to the Legend (Sega) - 83.187 / 467.159 (-78%)

05. [PS3] Yakuza 3 (SEGA) 53,000 / 425,000

04./01. [PS3] Yakuza 5 # <ADV> (Sega) {2012.12.06} (¥8.800) - 82.941 / 439.698 (-77%)

Thanks, so sitting roughly between Y3 and Y4.

I really hope it has strong legs like Y4, would like to see them get rewarded for all the extra effort they put in to this game.

Is that true though? (honest question, not being sarcastic or anything). Assuming your talking about US/PAL localisations of Japanese 3rd party games, Nintendo did a variety of stuff ranging from Inazuma Eleven, the first Etrian Odyssey, Samurai Warriors 3, Project Zero (might not count as they own the IP), Trauma Centre, etc in the last generation. I can't think of any by Sony though.

This is true. Layton and DQ IX publishing deals come to mind, as well.

Nintendo localised and pushed a hell of a lot of stuff that wasn't theirs last generation.

allan-bh

3DS remains on track to finish december 2012 below december 2011

3 weeks in december 2011- 923.974

3 weeks in december 2012- 697.932

But, Mario Kart 7 and Monster Hunter 3G was launched in december.

MrT-Tar

Um....last time I checked Wii U was doing okay in other regions outside of Japan. 400,000 in the US for example. I'm not aware of any other confirmed numbers?

I don't think I've seen it any figures to confirm this but I've heard that it bombed in the U.K. The stores I've been to (all in London) confirmed that it isn't exactly flying off the shelves.

Inazuma Eleven - you mean that stealth release with ZERO marketing to one country in Europe, where GAFers were importing it from Sweden or Finland? Project Zero after months and months of begging? Etrian Odyssey by the time Atlus was pushing out 3rd entry in the US?

Price drop incoming for Vita soon. 3DS is doing great in japan and Wii U managed to avoid a huge drop. Good for nintendo.

Price drop will not do anything without price drop in memory cards as well. Japan is a country ruled by handhelds, Vita needs ports of PS3 games first, Remote Play second, original IPs third. Not in this order, but all are important. Sony needs to push hard the fact Vita+PS3 do same thing that WiiU does.

Duckroll summed it up nicely some time ago - every machine needs system-seller or two, and stable amount of games selling average. The worst is not the fact Sony doesn't have IP selling 1mln on Vita, but the fact release schedule is barren all December and January.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Inazuma Eleven - you mean that stealth release with ZERO marketing to one country in Europe? Project Zero after months and months of begging? Etrian Odyssey by the time Atlus was pushing out 3rd entry in the US?

You...you are a crazy kid. You can't be serious. :lol :lol :lol

If PSP sold 0 and all those sales went to vita, PSV's sales still wouldn't be anything to write home about in week 50.

Seriously, looking at those numbers one has to come to the conclusion that SCE has made deals with NB and TK in order for them to port their games to vita. One also has to conclude that no sane 3rd party will develop a vita exclusive game unless Sony pays for it. Given the lack of sony owned IPs that are catered to the JP market and their precarious financial situation where they can't really explain moneyhatting a franchise, there's not a whole lot they can do. Sony could always liquidize other assets and buy a major share in a major 3rd party developer that owns major JP centric IPs, but regardless, vita is a failure, no ifs ands or maybes about it. Will it outsell the dreamcast or gamecube in Japan? Or even the 360? I have my doubts.

On the other HW:

- Great numbers for PS3 and PSP. PS3 can sell for at least 2-3 more years with an aggressive price drop (14999Y to 19999Y) and sharing some games with WiiU, it'll pass 10 million LTD in sales. PSP will crawl past 20 million and it'll probably sell in the double digits in week 50 next year as well. They can still drop the price to 9999Y
- WiiU numbers are great for week 2. JP is really the only region where WiiU numbers are encouraging
- Wii is dying, last real Christmas as I see Nintendo killing it next year
- 3DS is beast mode, Nintendo really got the JP market with it

I was joking :p
Fully understand the Vita is in the strangest possible position.
Funny how a stronger hardware can still lose to a weaker one Nintendo seems to have been lucky here.

Road

360 was doing better its second holiday season.
1.) Nintendo DS Lite - 319,708 | 309,630 | 6,761,521 | 6,761,521
2.) Nintendo Wii - 108,237 | 85,439 | 544,034 | 544,034
3.) PlayStation 3 - 70,942 | 50,171 | 308,949 | 308,949
4.) PlayStation Portable - 48,962 | 28,930 | 1,641,910 | 4,324,866
5.) PlayStation 2 - 37,730 | 30,460 | 1,365,857 | 20,070,481
6.) Xbox 360 - 17,168 | 35,343 | 160,014 | 230,580

damn

popdiva_dead.gif

Blue Dragon had just been released.

Equivalent weeks in their second holiday season:

1999 Dreamcast: 21k
2000 Wonder Swan: 52k
it was the Wonder Swan Color second week...
2003 Xbox: 2k

Well, it's doing better than the Xbox...

Inazuma Eleven - you mean that stealth release with ZERO marketing to one country in Europe? Project Zero after months and months of begging? Etrian Odyssey by the time Atlus was pushing out 3rd entry in the US?

What exactly has Sony done recently for niche games on their hardware? Unless we are straight up assuming all Vita localizations are Sony paying for them. Actually the biggest example I can think of is Sony straight up saying no to Demon Souls.

Edit: lol one country?

QaaQer

I see no glee. I see considerably more sadness and introspection.

That dislike of localisation costs comes from nowhere. Slow localisations is a legitimate greivance, but Nintendo don't often refuse to localise big titles (speaking as a European).

Indeed. In fact, with a dispassionate eye, it seems to me that there's only one area where Wii U sales are particularly concerning, and that's the UK.

I guess all the 'vita is dead' 'shoot it in the head' 'lol sony' posts come off as gleeful to me, could be wrong though.

I suppose all the time and effort it took to get ninty to release xenoblade outside of Japan, and the fact that they lock all their consoles kinda soured me on how they handle localisations. So I could be wrong on that front too. Maybe they handhelds are treated differently by nintendo.

Wii U sales are pretty encouraging especially software wise which shows there wasn't the 1 week interest in the system like there was for Vita. Holy crap at Paper Mario's rebound which I think is the real story this week. Did people miss the 3DS last year when it sold this much? As for Vita, Sony is out of excuses.

It's bombing harder than Vita in the UK.
No, but 3DS last year had price cut+mario+mario kart+monster hunter. The craziness was more expected. This year the only major title they have is animal crossing.

Eh, I don't know if this is true. We don't get weekly numbers for the US but Wii U launch numbers were roughly the same as Wii in the US in Nov NPD.

I should have specified that for the US it was more of a gut feeling based on the amount of WiiUs I see in every shop I go to. Sorry about that.

Price drop will not do anything without price drop in memory cards as well. Japan is a country ruled by handhelds, Vita needs ports of PS3 games first, Remote Play second, original IPs third. Not in this order, but all are important. Sony needs to push hard the fact Vita+PS3 do same thing that WiiU does.

Duckroll summed it up nicely some time ago - every machine needs system-seller or two, and stable amount of games selling average. The worst is not the fact Sony doesn't have IP selling 1mln on Vita, but the fact release schedule is barren all December and January.

It also needs vita 2000. There's a lot of things the vita needs to be honest. The easier path would be to let it die.

No, but 3DS last year had price cut+mario+mario kart+monster hunter. The craziness was more expected. This year the only major title they have is animal crossing.

And this year saw the launch of the XL, NSMB2, Paper Mario, Phoenix vs Layton, and IE GO2 this week. It's not like I think these sales are disappointing, but I was expecting closer to parity from last holiday.

I should have specified that for the US it was more of a gut feeling based on the amount of WiiUs I see in every shop I go to. Sorry about that.

I think we should have learned after DCCharlie's feelings when seeing them on stores shelves that it's best not to jump to conclusions based on that. If we start seeing price slashing like there is in the UK though that;s when it's time to panic.

kiri

3DS numbers just made me do this;
cb352717_mother-of-god-super-troopers.jpeg

You...you are a crazy kid. You can't be serious. :lol :lol :lol

Check the Inazuma thread - the game was originally released in Sweden or Finland, came to UK like 3 months later. Also, don't mistake Nintendo support for the game with anime airing around the same time.

Luck? Whilst NCL may not understand the west, they sure as shit understand Japan.

well maybe I don't understand Japan if you look at 3DS vs Vita hardware it boggles the mind on who you would have placed your bets on being the beast

Nintendo did an amazing job pulling this off but 3DS is still meh I mean the 3DS LL came out with one stick that alone should have been enough to kill them heh heh

What I don't like about this is, it encourages Nintendo to pull off even more stupid hardware decisions in the future.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Check the Inazuma thread - the game was originally released in Sweden or Finland, came to UK like 3 months later. Also, don't mistake Nintendo support for the game with anime airing around the same time.

Ok, I got the confirmation you don't know what you're talking about.

well maybe I don't understand Japan if you look at 3DS vs Vita hardware it boggles the mind on who you would have placed your bets on being the beast

Nintendo did an amazing job pulling this off but 3DS is still meh I mean the 3DS LL came out with one stick that alone should have been enough to kill them heh heh

What I don't like about this is, it encourages Nintendo to pull off even more stupid hardware decisions in the future.

It's not like Nintendo makes decisions only based on Japan.

Inazuma Eleven - you mean that stealth release with ZERO marketing to one country in Europe, where GAFers were importing it from Sweden or Finland? Project Zero after months and months of begging? Etrian Odyssey by the time Atlus was pushing out 3rd entry in the US?

Resident Evil Revelations, Kingdom Hearts 3D, Rhythm Thief, the last Dragon Quest, etc. were all published by Nintendo. And Inazuma Eleven is pretty popular in southern Europe.

Celine

I guess all the 'vita is dead' 'shoot it in the head' 'lol sony' posts come off as gleeful to me, could be wrong though.
They are juvenile statements however Vita sales were disappointing week in week out since its launch.

I suppose all the time and effort it took to get ninty to release xenoblade outside of Japan, and the fact that they lock all their consoles kinda soured me on how they handle localisations. So I could be wrong on that front too. Maybe they handhelds are treated differently by nintendo.
Took around a year for Xenoblade to come to Europe, a standard timespan for JRPG localization.

BriBri

Mainstream gamers don't give a shit about two sticks.

Somewhere around there, although I'm not sure how wise it is to be mixing trackers.
Number and sell-through were both Dengeki?
http://news.dengeki.com/elem/000/000/572/572464/

I'll be late with the Degenki ranking, so here are the Wii U remarks:
  • Hardware: 311,000 units
  • Hardware sell-through around 85%
  • SKU split, in average: 50% Premium / 25% MH3GHD Pack / 25% Basic
  • Software tie ratio 1.2 (370,000 units)
  • NSMBU + NL + MH3GHD = 92.8% of all software sold.

I'll be Debbie Downer Devil's Advocate: Nintendo is staggering it's supply more, but in absolute numbers, the Wii U is only 40K up from the launch of the system we're all celebrating at the wake of now.

SmokyDave

Mainstream gamers don't give a shit about two sticks.

I'm not sure about that at all. Can you imagine the PS4 / 720 releasing with single-analogue controllers?

Me neither.

It obviously isn't a big enough factor to overcome the lack of Mario & MonHun games but if the 3DS had two analogues from launch, everyone would agree it was a change for the better.

Yeah because two sticks on the Vita really made people rush out and buy it.

Two sticks on a handheld is nice but 3DS success has shown its not a major issue.

They are juvenile statements however Vita sales were disappointing week in week out since its launch.

Took around a year for Xenoblade to come to Europe, a standard timespan for JRPG localization.
I have a feeling that Nintendo is paying more attention to Monolithsoft this time around. Will be VERY surprised if their next game doesn't see light in NA/EU and sooner

Fularu

Banned
Believe it or not, most Japanese handheld developers are perfectly fine with selling sub-100k, just look how much games that are not Mario/Pokemon/S-E RPG sell. Persona 4 Golden performance shows Vita can become a niche handheld for more hardcore games, which would be fine with me. You can be sure it's much more likely for Sony to localize niche games than it is for Nintendo.

So instead of making a niche game and selling it ~30k @6000JPY you will make it for PS3, spend more money, and sell as PSN release ~15k@2000JPY (bear in mind being software starved will make people buy more software for the Vita)?

Can you name me any Sony (as in SCEA/SCEE) published and translated "niche" game from the past 5 years for any of their system?

Somehow, I believe that list is going to be faaaaaaaaaar shorter than you believe.

Sony has only themselves to blame for not securing big Japanese 3rdy party support. Perhaps they have for next year who knows, but the damage has already been done.

Oersted

I don't think I've seen it any figures to confirm this but I've heard that it bombed in the U.K. The stores I've been to (all in London) confirmed that it isn't exactly flying off the shelves.

Isn´t everything ,including retailers, bombing in UK?

Well obviously the next handheld will have them as I can't see them releasing a handheld as powerful as the 360 with one stick.

Perhaps they have for next year who knows

I think we've see the result of them going to Japanese 3rd parties this year. It ended up resulting in a bunch of PS3/Vita and PSP/Vita games.

This week starts including Vita in the 2011 comparisons and obviously that will make things look worse for Sony and for total handhelds.

PSP+PSV(2011 YTD)=2,240,144
PSP+PSV(2012 YTD)=1,440,935(-35.7%)

Looking ahead to Week 51, PSP+PSV did 173,600 in 2011.

3DS+DS(2011 YTD)=4,239,579
3DS+DS(2012 YTD)=4,903,784(+15.7%)3 weeks ago was 27%

Looking ahead to week 50, 3DS+DS did 496,596 in 2011.

All handhelds(2011 YTD)=6,479,723
All handhelds(2012 YTD)=6,344,719 (-2.1%)Once again down from last year, doesn't look like it will reverse that.

Some extra info looking ahead, total sales for 2011.
PSP=2,079,152
PSP+PSV=2,519,138

3DS=4,282,142
3DS+DS=4,939,929

All handhelds=7,459,067(Need to average 557.2K a week to match last year)

Top Bottom