• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 50, 2014 (Dec 08 - Dec 14)

kinggroin

Banned
Wtf PS4. GTAV apparently a bigger draw than any Nintendo staple franchises. Poor Wii U, but it looks like there's hope for at last one console to not be dead over there.

Oemenia

Banned
GTAV is doing well in Japn. Between the remake and the original the total might get at 900k. Amazing performance.
That's one thing good about last-gen is that Western games started selling decently in Japan. And funnily enough it's the 360 we can thank for that as publishers started releasing their games (since it only launched with 6 games) and were seeing surprisingly solid sales.

crinale

I thought WiiU numbers are good, then looked at last year's number and surprised by it (73K).
What got released for WiiU last December?

test_account

XP-39C²
Wow... I would have expected more from PS4 with a DQ special edition.
We are now so used to weak numbers in Japan that 68k looks impressive now.
How much more did you expect, and what made you expect more? (for example, which other hardware bundles did you compare it to).

zeromcd73

I thought WiiU numbers are good, then looked at last year's number and surprised by it (73K).
What got released for WiiU last December?
DQX MMO and MH Frontier MMO were the only December releases last year, but end of November had Mario 3D World and Tatsujin.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
DQX MMO and MH Frontier MMO were the only December releases last year, but end of November had Mario 3D World and Tatsujin.

It's more due to last year's bundles. Those gave a tremendous help to Wii U's Holiday sales.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Want to bet? ps4 has been beating wiiu most weeks now for awhile with no releases, third party games are helping ps4 in japan, wii-u has nothing to drive hardware...Ps4 will continue to slowly rise with more releases in 2015.
While I do believe that Wii U will not beat PS4 next week, this argument is a bit weak. Third party games are helping PS4 in Japan even though there have not been any releases "for a while"? I doubt anyone doubts that PS4 will beat Wii U over the course of the next year (we were talking about next week though), but that's hardly an achievement, considering there are next to no third party releases on Wii U, so it has to live off just Nintendo-made games. Beating this in sales does not mean having good sales necessarily though.

sörine;143702173 said:
200k looks out of reach for PS Nova now. Maybe with digital though, doesn't the game ship with a discount code or something?

200k should be achievable in the long-run, if it doesn't completely drop off the cliff during holidays and with digital sales.

While I do believe that Wii U will not beat PS4 next week, this argument is a bit weak. Third party games are helping PS4 in Japan even though there have not been any releases "for a while"? I doubt anyone doubts that PS4 will beat Wii U over the course of the next year (we were talking about next week though), but that's hardly an achievement, considering there are next to no third party releases on Wii U, so it has to live off just Nintendo-made games. Beating this in sales does not mean having good sales necessarily though.

The fact that there have not been any releases fro "Awhile" only helps my argument, what hapens when there are and the bigger japanese games come? I never once said beating wii-u means it is doing well, not once.....But I am saying it will continue to keep doing better year over year, it will end up with a healthy base in japan.

Bruno MB

We are in the middle of December and Kirby Triple Deluxe hasn't still made its appearance into the weekly top 30, even Yoshi's New Island is already there. Many months ago I thought it had a chance to become a million seller since its a series with great legs but that already seems impossible. It should finish its run with 800.000 units sold.

Been out of the loop with Japan sales for some time, what is a more feasible figure then?

1.3 to 1.5 million.

On the pessimistic side, PS4 should hit 1.15-1.2 by end of February. And the combination of BB/DQH/FFXV demo/D5/alltehgaems should, at the very least, push 100k in March.

On the more optimistic side, those combination of games can push 200k-300k in March. Very optimistic.

We are in the middle of December and Kirby Triple Deluxe hasn't still made its appearance into the weekly top 30, even Yoshi's New Island is already there. Many months ago I thought it had a chance to become a million seller since its a series with great legs but that already seems impossible. It should finish its run with 800.000 units sold.

Yeah, I thought so at beginning as well. When it got stuck around 600k, though, it was clear it would have not bee able to reach the million mark... Still a good result anyway.

1.3 to 1.5 million.

On the pessimistic side, PS4 should hit 1.15-1.2 by end of February. And the combination of BB/DQH/FFXV demo/D5/alltehgaems should, at the very least, push 100k in March.

On the more optimistic side, those combination of games can push 200k-300k in March. Very optimistic.

Thanks, I was looking for these kind of replies that could sparkle some discussion.

Looking back at the effect of XIII demo with the Advent children bluray:

PlayStation 3 sales have quadrupled in Japan following the release of a demo version of Final Fantasy Xiii. According to figures from sales tracker Media Create, the PS3 sold 62,527 units from April 13 to April 19, compared to just 16,701 the previous week. This sales surge coincides with the Blu-ray release of Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children Complete, which included the demo as bonus material

I think the impact of the XV demo that comes with a game rather than a movie will be bigger.

sense

Jeez it is amazing to see the usual suspects quickly jumping to downplay ps4 sales. Relax guys this is obviously not some big Renaissance in ps4 sales but u gotta at least admit those are some pretty good numbers which was not expected by anyone. People are just hoping that a few decent exclusives and slightly better cross platform version of games the ps4 has a good chance doing good numbers next year. Last year people were joking about no Jp ps4 games and that developers are scared and everybody is moving to mobile. This year it is that they are all cross platform. Waiting for a new excuse next year when devs ditch PS3 and announce ps4 only games. The pessimism is sometimes crazy in these threads. Let there be hope!!!!

Takao

Banned
EDF on handhelds:

PSP : Earth Defense Force 2 Portable ( D3 Publisher ) { 2011-04-07 } - 54,812 / 112,486
PSP : Earth Defense Force 2 Portable [PSP the Best] ( D3 Publisher ) { 2012-07-05 } - - / 18,261
PSV : Earth Defense Force 2017 Portable ( D3 Publisher ) { 2012-09-27 } - 29,875 / 48,896
PSV : Earth Defense Force 2 Portable V2 ( D3 Publisher ) { 2014-12-11 } - 11,430 / 11,430

No idea why D3 shipped so many copies of a $50 port of a port.

EDF on handhelds:

PSP : Earth Defense Force 2 Portable ( D3 Publisher ) { 2011-04-07 } - 54,812 / 112,486
PSP : Earth Defense Force 2 Portable [PSP the Best] ( D3 Publisher ) { 2012-07-05 } - - / 18,261
PSV : Earth Defense Force 2017 Portable ( D3 Publisher ) { 2012-09-27 } - 29,875 / 48,896
PSV : Earth Defense Force 2 Portable V2 ( D3 Publisher ) { 2014-12-11 } - 11,430 / 11,430

As i sad a few days ago, early reports were pointing out to a bad result, not in terms of absolute numbers, but in sell-through.

u_neek

Great PS4 numbers.

There's quite a steady flow of AA/AAA titles coming out in Q1 2015 too, isn't there? Should give it some momentum.

big_z

nintendos wii u bundle is weak. since they are too stubborn to drop the price they should have put a physical copy of kart in the box along with a free game download of your choice promo code.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Great PS4 numbers.

There's quite a steady flow of AA/AAA titles coming out in Q1 2015 too, isn't there? Should give it some momentum.

There's quite a steady flow of AA/AAA titles for PS4 since September.

Soon, maybe in December, Smash 3DS will start outselling Smash Wii U.

3DS hw was disappointing this week.

Thanks, I was looking for these kind of replies that could sparkle some discussion.

Looking back at the effect of XIII demo with the Advent children bluray:

I think the impact of the XV demo that comes with a game rather than a movie will be bigger.
FF as a brand has been weakening plus the whole gaming culture of Japan has moved a lot since ps3 days. However since the normal sales per week have been under 10k for ps4 it is possible to see a "six times sales growth headlines" but it still may only sell 60k which historically will be terrible.

Takao

Banned
PS1 : Hajime no Ippo: The Fighting ( Kodansha ) { 1997-07-31 } - 32,646 / 75,048
PS2 : Hajime no Ippo: Victorious Boxers ( ESP Software ) { 2000-12-14 } - 85,206 / 342,113
PS2 : Hajime no Ippo: Victorious Boxers - Championship Version [Playstation 2 the Best] ( ESP Software ) { 2002-06-27 } - 22,198 / 193,986
PS2 : Hajime no Ippo 2: Victorious Road ( ESP Software ) { 2004-01-29 } - 133,764 / 208,304
PS2 : Hajime no Ippo: All Stars ( ESP Software ) { 2004-12-28 } - 30,183 / 72,801
WII : Hajime no Ippo: Revolution ( AQ Interactive ) { 2007-06-21 } - 25,480 / 54,318
PSP : Hajime no Ippo Portable: Victorious Spirits ( Grandprix Inc. ) { 2007-12-20 } - 16,000 / 45,515
NDS : Hajime no Ippo: The Fighting! DS ( ESP Software ) { 2008-12-04 } - 1,500 / 11,210
PS3 : Hajime no Ippo: The Fighting! ( Bandai Namco ) { 2014-12-11 } - 9,247 / 9,247

I don't know enough about Nobunaga's Ambition to want to tackle that list JapanLTD is throwing at me.

Logash

So PS4 will probably hit 1 million sales in Japan before its 1 year anniversary. That would be a pretty solid year considering the lack of really compelling games.

Damn, given Smash and MK8 both now being available, I had honestly expected the WiiU to be up YoY. Considering the Japanese are less into Zelda than average, and that's the last big title coming to the System, I dread to think what next year's going to be like.

Kysen

Really can't believe how bad WiiU sales are. It's down massively from last year in both weekly and yearly totals, despite having 2 of it's biggest games released this year. Looks like those games are really just selling to the faithful who've already bought one and Nintendo's console market is severely limited now.

Nah, the real problem is the 3DS. It has way more support and cheaper games. Why buy smash on wiiu when the 3DS version is good enough. Last time around the DS wasn't powerful enough to share much of wiis library. So a case could be made for both existing.

The wiiu as it stands is a more powerful 2DS with the 2nd screen further apart.

While it was certainly a good week for the PS4, count me in with the others urging some caution in reading too much into it until, at minimum, we see another week or two. These are still holiday sales with the release of a highly desired LE. The PS4 isn't dead, but it hasn't proven much beyond that yet. And sure, there are some big releases for PS4 in the coming year, but unless other software beyond those start to show some real legs I'd still worry about the system's position. Remember, even the Wii U has pushed solid lifetime numbers on its premier (a.k.a. 1st party) releases.

liger05

Nah, the real problem is the 3DS. It has way more support and cheaper games. Why buy smash on wiiu when the 3DS version is good enough. Last time around the DS wasn't powerful enough to share much of wiis library. So a case could be made for both existing.

The wiiu as it stands is a more powerful 2DS with the 2nd screen further apart.

This. I think the 3DS delivers all ones need for that Nintendo fix.

I think the opposite If GTA can move consoles, imagine what's gonna happen when they get Japanese games?

Was thinking the same thing lol. What an odd line of thinking. If a western title can drive consoles in Japan that pretty much means the audience is primed to purchase the console. Big time titles like Persona and Bloodborne and Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest and such like that will move a ton of consoles, or should anyway.

Have they said anything about DQ Heroes coming to the west yet? I will import it if I have to but would rather know what the menus say and what the attacks are called lol

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
Captain Toad should reach 100k by next week :)

Where the doubters now? mgrrr

Oemenia

Banned
EDF on handhelds:

Urgh why is it that franchises are performing worse on Vita when the install base has increased quite a bit.

Top Bottom