• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 51, 2011 (Dec 19 - Dec 25)

Marco1

What 1 game would pull the vita back? Because personally I can't think of one single game that would make me want it apart from a new IP that would blow me away.
After playing mariokart in 3D that would make me want a 3DS but only because the 3D blew me away.
I think nintendo were right to go with 3D, something totally new and why I think wiiu will succeed also.

M-PG71C

What 1 game would pull the vita back? Because personally I can't think of one single game that would make me want it apart from a new IP that would blow me away.
After playing mariokart in 3D that would make me want a 3DS but only because the 3D blew me away.
I think nintendo were right to go with 3D, something totally new and why I think wiiu will succeed also.

Ys IV Remake on Vita, but I'm a tool for anything Falcom. Even then, its more likely I'll buy the game and wait for the Vita to gain traction than it is for me to buy the system.

I was pretty close to pre-ordering my portable for Ridge Racer but Namco really, really, really fucked up there.

Laguna

Banned
Even if this is a joke, i`m curios about the upcoming SE Vita projects. SE has always been there to support Sony plattforms with Big exclusive and intern developed titles. They had no problem announcing a FF7 spin-off before the PSP even launched and even continued their high budget PSP projects when those titles couldnt sell outside of Japan.

Right now they only have FFX HD which is a multi title - their next exclusive announcement will be very telling. If they are willing to take the risk and announce a big exclusive title, other publishers might follow as it happened before.

They even got two games for Vitas launch with Army in Hell and Lord of Apocalypsv.

Both didn´t sell well so far. It´s true that a FFX port won´t cost them a fortune but I think the opportunity costs could be rather high, if Sony doesn´t built a decent userbase by then.

[Nintex]

PSP version is a best selling game too. Even the PS2 version.

So like I said everyone already has FIFA.

Lets say I'm an average European teenager with a PS3 or Xbox 360 and FIFA12. Why would I go out and buy a system for a game I already own?

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
3DS userbase will reach 15 millions by the time Vita gets its 1st million.

I wonder if this information will influence 3rd parties upcoming investments, I would say PROBABLY.

[Nintex]

I wonder if this information will influence 3rd parties upcoming investments, I would say PROBABLY.

Iwata was already scared as shit that third parties would drop the 3DS after the lackluster launch. I can't imagine what these numbers(nothing is selling) will do for Vita.

EVH

The thing is that PSP is still selling well. It is possible to see here the same that happened with DS and 3DS. But next christmas, Vita has the chance to show some pretty good games, like 3DS did with Mario Kart 7, SM3DL and MH3G.

But obviously, 3DS still has millions sellers as New Super Mario Bros and Animal Crossing for the next year christmas. Because I doubt that MG4 is ready for 2012.

Kenka

Your argument may look silly in regard to time windows but then I realized that this was used successfully in the past :

0521ps1c.jpg

Will never forget.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
If it was 70k in a month, I'd say the doom and gloom merchants would have a point. But 70k in a week isn't too shabby.

The thing that surprises me constantly is that people seem to expect the overall market size to increase spectacularly when a new product enters, this very rarely happens. Right now the Japanese market has a huge 3DS shaped bulge in it, coming off a unbroken history of supremacy in handheld gaming and backed by a heavy price-cut and stellar evergreen properties there's was never any chance of Vita derailing its momentum.

Point being when 3DS is running as hot as it is, its going to eat up a very large chunk of the overall cash-spend in the sector, and so expectations of Vita in the short-term should be kept low. However, that's not to say that it can't do well in the longer-term.

BurntPork

Banned
If it was 70k in a month, I'd say the doom and gloom merchants would have a point. But 70k in a week isn't too shabby.

The thing that surprises me constantly is that people seem to expect the overall market size to increase spectacularly when a new product enters, this very rarely happens. Right now the Japanese market has a huge 3DS shaped bulge in it, coming off a unbroken history of supremacy in handheld gaming and backed by a heavy price-cut and stellar evergreen properties there's was never any chance of Vita derailing its momentum.

Point being when 3DS is running as hot as it is, its going to eat up a very large chunk of the overall cash-spend in the sector, and so expectations of Vita in the short-term should be kept low. However, that's not to say that it can't do well in the longer-term.

This would be a great argument if Vita had outsold PSP this week. However, that's not what happened. There was definitely room in the market for Vita to sell much more than it did.

kswiston

Your argument may look silly in regard to time windows but then I realized that this was used successfully in the past :

0521ps1c.jpg

Will never forget.

In PS2's defense, those shipment ratios aren't any better now. Xbox shipped 24 million units, Gamecube shipped 22 million. PS2 shipments are currently over 150 million, and will probably top 160 million when the system stops selling completely.

PS2 could have stopped selling when that powerpoint presentation was made and it would have still won the generation.

mattfabb

Banned
Vita is too expensive. As usual, buying console at launch is a costly habit, especially in this financial climate. I will get one when I can afford it, or if some incredible game comes out this year.

sphinx

the piano man
a very serious question that deserves its own thread but I am lazy.

WHY do console makers bring a console to the market without a killer app on launch date??

what the fuck is going to sell your system in the first 6 months? hype? it NEVER works, never has woked.

VITA has nothing resembling a system seller, why release hardware without the software? I think sony is very much to blame if VITA fails, they don't fight aggresively for exclusives or releases, I don't think they are aware of the current videogame enviroment.

Marco1

In PS2's defense, those shipment ratios aren't any better now. Xbox shipped 24 million units, Gamecube shipped 22 million. PS2 shipments are currently over 150 million, and will probably top 160 million when the system stops selling completely.

PS2 could have stopped selling when that powerpoint presentation was made and it would have still won the generation.

After the success of PS2, it's so hard to believe that Sony messed up and spent more on PS3 R&D than what they received in PS2 profit. No wonder Ken left.
Although why didn't any of the current consoles even hit half of what PS2 sold?

Kenka

[Nintex];33808853 said:
Still crazy that Sony set Kutaragi up to fail by mandating Blu-Ray and Cell and his former marketing monkey Kaz runs the show now. Poor Ken never saw the backstab coming.
5zcoi.gif

Lol.

Ken Kutaragi should have gone back to Nintendo... but, I think he got backstabbed there too.

hyp

What is it with Apple fans and this metaphor? I don't know why, but it pisses me off.

Also, calling the second biggest December ever with only three games carrying it "not that hot" is the definition of grasping at straws.

someone's mad. did someone steal your lunch too?

i just expected a lot more from the successor of the "best selling handheld of all time", a few million WW sales just doesn't seem that impressive coming from a company who's device was the envy of everyone's grandma.

Marco1

WHY do console makers bring a console to the market without a killer app on launch date??

what the fuck is going to sell your system in the first 6 months? hype? it NEVER works, never has woked.

VITA has nothing resembling a system seller, why release hardware without the software? I think sony is very much to blame if VITA fails, they don't fight aggresively for exclusives or releases, I don't think they are aware of the current videogame enviroment.

I don't think Sony has the money to buy a big exclusive anymore and with PS2 they probably bullied devs and publishers for exclusives considering the amount of PS2 sold.

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
Looks to me like the Vita is sharing the same problem the 3DS did, well at least in the US.

The DS is still super popular in the states up until around now where I think you may start to see a drop off but the problem is 2 handhelds in the market at the same time from the same company cannibalizes its sales.

I think you are seeing the same thing for the Vita. The PSP is still really popular and successful in Japan and it is cannibalizing on the sales of the Vita. It will take around 6 months or possibly longer for the transition to take effect.

Strong software will help the transition though.
Exactly the subject I was thinking about since the making of this thread.

The transition from the PSP to Vita shows a great flaw about Sony's handheld strategy. Vita not being BC with the PSP's UMD media format and Nintendo literally trying to gobbling up the PSP market by profiling the 3DS to appeal PSP users, devs, publis. and by making the 3DS the host of various PSP blockbusters makes it very difficult for the Vita in the long-term.

The Vita will have to compete with both the 3DS and the PSP in the retail market. They can't build upon much of what they've accomplished with the PSP to find success; They almost have to rebuild everything from the beginning which is considerably harder that an simple transition, something which Nintendo has succeeded to achieve with the 3DS from the DS.

Alrus

It worked for the PS2 :p

BurntPork

Banned
After the success of PS2, it's so hard to believe that Sony messed up and spent more on PS3 R&D than what they received in PS2 profit. No wonder Ken left.
Although why didn't any of the current consoles even hit half of what PS2 sold?

90 million is now less than half of 150 million.

What is it with Apple fans and this metaphor? I don't know why, but it pisses me off.

Also, calling the second biggest December ever with only three games carrying it "not that hot" is the definition of grasping at straws.

You're saying that as the 3 games were visual novels and not games that belong to some of the biggest IP's in Japan.

Of course the 3DS success is more than notable, but those games easily count for like 20 normal games.

BurntPork

Banned

i just expected a lot more from the successor of the "best selling handheld of all time", a few million WW sales just doesn't seem that impressive coming from a company who's device was the envy of everyone's grandma.

What were you expecting? iPhone-level sales?

You're saying that as the 3 games were visual novels and not games that belong to some of the biggest IP's in Japan.

Of course the 3DS success is more than notable, but those games easily count for like 20 normal games.

Fine, forget the "three games" part. It doesn't really make a huge difference.

jonno394

Early days yet, early days. I hope the Vita is a success, the PSP proved there is room for more than one handheld on the market, and both systems are different enough from one another that they'll be capable of having products that cannot be replicated on the other.

That being said, my 3DS with ambassador games preloaded. Mario 3D land, Mario Kart and Zelda should be making it's way to me as I type.

Yeah, I think the handheld market should compete with the phone market too despite being completely different things. Genius post there, good sir.

Well, let's not pretend there's no competition between them, after all, smartphones and their non-phone counterparts (Ipod touch) do play games, and some people will pass on a handheld due to their phone's games. The real question is, who's making more money off of videogames, Nintendo or Apple? Last I heard it was still Nintendo, and not by a little bit.

Apple's not eating Nintendo's lunch. They may have nicked Nintendo's chips, though.

I don't think no one can't deny that 3DS start was slow, due to Nintendo mistakes.

Neither someone should deny, that 3DS recover in Japan, is really good.

All Sony needs to do is drop the price by $70 and have games people want to play...the hard part is already behind them.

The price is fine for the hardware they offer, it basically obliterates the iPhone 4S in most departments and we all know how much cost an iPhone 4S.

Lower 70$ and Sony will bleed a lot of money for every Vita sold....I don't seee it.

Owzers

All Sony needs to do is drop the price by $70 and have games people want to play...the hard part is already behind them.

mollipen

My feeling right now is that if the Vita flops, I'll be at the point that I want to just quit gaming. Yeah, I'm just moody today, but ugh. I loved the PSP, but it never got the foothold it really should have, and I hoped the Vita would make up for that. Now I'm sitting here saying to myself "I'll be happy if it just gets the popularity and support the PSP had".

It's way too early for me (or anybody) to doom the Vita, but I wish it could have started out stronger. If the 3DS is going to steal some of the franchises that were PSP regulars before, at least give us Vita versions as well. If I can just have that, I'll be satisfied.

I just wish we could live in a world where every major game was on every platform, and you just picked the one that gave you the experience playing it that you wanted. Video games suck. (And I suck for getting so stressed over them!)

My feeling right now is that if the Vita flops, I'll be at the point that I want to just quit gaming. Yeah, I'm just moody today, but ugh. I loved the PSP, but it never got the foothold it really should have, and I hoped the Vita would make up for that. Now I'm sitting here saying to myself "I'll be happy if it just gets the popularity and support the PSP had".

It's way too early for me (or anybody) to doom the Vita, but I wish it could have started out stronger. If the 3DS is going to steal some of the franchises that were PSP regulars before, at least give us Vita versions as well. If I can just have that, I'll be satisfied.

I just wish we could live in a world where every major game was on every platform, and you just picked the one that gave you the experience playing it that you wanted. Video games suck. (And I suck for getting so stressed over them!)

Cheer up dude. Even if it doesn't take off there are still plenty of games to play from current and previous gens. No reason to quit gaming over it!

Yikes at Vita. But hopefully they will manage to turn it around like they did with the PSP.

Sony had nothing to do with turning PSP around, though. It was Capcom that caught lightning in a bottle with MHP, and no third party is remotely likely to repeat that success with a new franchise on either 3DS or Vita.

kswiston

90 million is now less than half of 150 million.

I think he meant last gen.

Even though Wii will finish with a very comfortable first place, both the 360 and PS3 will end up selling more than half the Wii's LTD. Possibly 60%. PS3 + 360 shipments are currently higher than Wii shipments, and the difference will continue to increase. Last gen, Xbox and Gamecube combined failed to crack 1/3rd of the PS2 shipments.

The reasoning: PS2 appealed to every type of gamer in every territory last generation. We didn't get any 20-30M mega sellers like we saw this generation, but the PS2's library (worldwide) was as varied as all three current system's combined. PS2 also didn't compete with tablet and smartphone gaming, and because it had such a stranglehold on the market early on, a ton of third party games remained exclusive.

Top Bottom