• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 51, 2012 (Dec 17 - Dec 23)

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Go back and look at how Sven treated Monster Hunter and how he lied to the fans and acted like it wouldnt come over. The guy needs to be fired immediately along with Reggie.

Err, that's probably due to the fact he couldn't tell fans it was coming. You know, embargoes, announcement things and everything else.

Err, that's probably due to the fact he couldn't tell fans it was coming. You know, embargoes, announcement things and everything else.

No he straight up lied at one point and said it wasn't coming, it was bullshit and I bet Nintendo had to get involved to put an end to it.

test_account

XP-39C²
No he straight up lied at one point and said it wasn't coming, it was bullshit and I bet Nintendo had to get involved to put an end to it.
That must have been a long time ago. I remember people getting pissed because he said something like "keep having faith" when they asked when Monster Hunter TriG was coming.

don't really care about EX that much have not heard any rave reviews, so crapcom can keep it

but the day Senran Kagura Burst his US eShop is the day I upgrade to a 3DS XL

watershed

Banned
I didn't realize Fantasy Life has a Monster Hunter type local play where you and friends can team up to fight big monsters. I wonder if that will help to propel it, like an animal crossing clone with a casual MH local play type following.

Road

Because we have no numbers, here's the japanese video game market from 1996 to 2011.

1996 - 1999: CESA
2000 - 2011: Famitsu

http://i.imagebanana.com/img/0v7i8k56/japrev.png

I don't know what's up with that software revenues from 1996 - 1999 (CESA data). xD

I can only compare the Famitsu Top100 from then.

1997 Top100: 38.517.623 units
2007 Top100: 45.584.604 units

Unless the rest of the games in 1997 sold a shitload, I don't know how they came up with this data.

Nonetheless, this is the best overview we have. ;)

CESA numbers for the Japanese market are usually higher. 1997-2011: http://ameblo.jp/gyakutenstore/entry-11316028860.html

There are Media Create estimates, I'm not sure if they are fiscal year or calendar year, top 500 or entire market (p10) 1990-2002: https://www.cubby.com/p/_fdab4fb036c843c4aa8e387ae4b3af96/mcreate+yearly+market+value.unlocked.pdf

And a mix of CESA and previous estimates 1982-2009 (p13): http://asb.waseda.ac.jp/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/asb_KM_game_Case02.pdf

We can't also now if used software sales are included in the market size. It's difficult to have a precise number, but all different sources point to a higher revenue in 1996 and 1997.

farnham

Banned
Last time I went to Geo, Nintendoland was sold out, as was the Monster Hunter bundle. Everything else was in stock. It seems to be selling decently, but there's zero stock issues (the Monster Hunter bundle should be back soon).

In all stores I've been, 3DS still has the prime shelf space, with WiiU taking a third (or so) of Wii's area.

I wonder how many Japanese are like me waiting for the Basic bundle to be discontinued and have a 32Gb white WiiU. Probably not many. :(

If Fantasy Life did amazing, that would make me so happy. Level 5 needs a hit, and the 3DS could still use a massive third party hit (that's not Dragon Quest or Monster Hunter).
Well stock seems to be no issue anywhere in this world. In japan at least up until now it also seems there is decent demand... Lets see how it pans out with na in ec and especially with the pal region

CESA numbers for the Japanese market are usually higher. 1997-2011: http://ameblo.jp/gyakutenstore/entry-11316028860.html

There are Media Create estimates, I'm not sure if they are fiscal year or calendar year, top 500 or entire market (p10) 1990-2002: https://www.cubby.com/p/_fdab4fb036c843c4aa8e387ae4b3af96/mcreate+yearly+market+value.unlocked.pdf

And a mix of CESA and previous estimates 1982-2009 (p13): http://asb.waseda.ac.jp/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/asb_KM_game_Case02.pdf

We can't also now if used software sales are included in the market size. It's difficult to have a precise number, but all different sources point to a higher revenue in 1996 and 1997.
Thx Road!

Here's the big picture (CESA data):

zzzzzzz.PNG

Two things I'm surprised about:

The PS2-era was a big drop for the market. Look at that valley, despite the PS2 selling that much software. Any thoughts?

The PS1 added less to the mainstream market than I though, it got released in 1994, but the market was already huge in 1993.
Seems like the Sega systems + SNES/NES + GameBoy Color already did most of the job. At least in Japan.

farnham

Banned
Thx Road!

Here's the big picture (CESA data):

zzzzzzz.PNG

Two things I'm surprised about:

The PS2-era was a big drop for the market. Look at that valley, despite the PS2 selling that much software. Any thoughts?

The PS1 added less to the mainstream market than I though, it got released in 1994, but the market was already huge in 1993.
Seems like the Sega systems + SNES/NES + GameBoy Color already did most of the job. At least in Japan.

I think software prices did contribute to that

Celine

Seeing the last development in this thread, I always found interesting the software revenue split for markets provided by SquareEnix in 2004.

Still remember a Jaleco PR in 1994/1995 how he thought of the US market as an after-thought, just to pad the profit, since they were making so much more per unit in their domestic market.

joedick

Go back and look at how Sven treated Monster Hunter and how he lied to the fans and acted like it wouldnt come over. The guy needs to be fired immediately along with Reggie.

uh, you know it is possible that maybe at one point in time they weren't planning to bring it over?

Bruno MB

1,2,3,4 and 5?

Hokuto Musou is going to be the best selling new release in January!

It's the only Wii U release dated for January, isn't it?

Yes, only 3 games have a release date:

01/31 Shin Hokuto Musou
02/21 Tank! Tank! Tank!
03/14 Need for Speed: Most Wanted

I see 50k 35k units sold between these games and of course Wii U hitting sub 15k in 2 months.

What was going on in 1986 that made it so much bigger than 1985 and 1987? I guess SMB1 and 2 would've been pretty big, for one/two things, but it still really sticks out from what's otherwise a pretty steady upward trend from '84-'97.
PS1 didn't take off in a big way until 1997, though, which is the peak year on the chart.

Terrell

Exactly. Animal Crossing has sold more than all the other third party games combined.

Obviously this means third parties don't sell on Nintendo systems

Animal Crossing has likely sold more than all the other third party games on any platform in its 2nd year EVER. I always laughed at these metrics, because they're not used against every piece of hardware a piece of software could be released for.

Animal Crossing has likely sold more than all the other third party games on any platform in its 2nd year EVER. I always laughed at these metrics, because they're not used against every piece of hardware a piece of software could be released for.
Hmm, it's a close one. The biggest year two third party game I know of is Final Fantasy X. By today AC is probably past the 2.3m of FFX's initial release, but not up to the 3m it reached with eventual budget/international rereleases.

May16

Wii U most pre-ordered games at Sofmap:

Whoa whoa whoa careful buddy, someone's gonna come in and demand at least 100 more pictures and anecdotes and claim that your contribution to this thread is insignificant if you keep this up.

(Edit: in case anyone missed it, in this thread or the last MC thread, I got jumped when I posted some self-taken pictures of Wii-Us on shelves as an anecdotal counter to the claim that there was no stock.)

Whoa whoa whoa careful buddy, someone's gonna come in and demand at least 100 more pictures and anecdotes and claim that your contribution to this thread is insignificant if you keep this up.

whoa, whoa, whoa that was insignificant it's not like it was "Vinnk's Village" report or something as deep as that >.>

duckroll

(Edit: in case anyone missed it, in this thread or the last MC thread, I got jumped when I posted some self-taken pictures of Wii-Us on shelves as an anecdotal counter to the claim that there was no stock.)

You sound bitter.

Vinnk

On my phone now. I'll try to write up something better next week but:

1. After New Years sales you can still buy a Wii U but it was sold out at both local department stores. I guess that is where kids go with their parents to spend their Otoshidama (the New Years money)

2. No used Wii U systems yet anywhere. But I have seen some used copies of Mass Effect 3, Nintendoland and ZombiU. Not much of a discount though.

3. Prices have gone up on used copies of the DS Amimal Closding game. I guess people are buying it when they can't fond the new one.

4. The 3ds Animal Crossing Game was sold out at all the shops I looked at but some convience stores still have the download cards.

5. Seeing lots if used copies of Beavely Default. Usual price is about 4000yen. No collapse in price but it is very easy to get used now.

6. Vita game section at Manga Souko has been pushed next to the 360 games in the back. But the amount of money you can get for used Vita games is still quite high so it seems game shops haven't given up on it yet.

7. I have not seen a NSMB2 download card at any convience store all week. I am not sure if that means they are selling well or if Nintendo is just rotating in other games. Would love to hear how it is in other areas.

8. Toys R Us had Wii U Premiums but not basics. First time I have seen this. Maybe now that the rush for the hardcore is over, the more mainstream customers care more about the price.

9. I'm playing Chrono Trigger for the first time. It is living up to the hype.

Top Bottom