• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 51, 2013 (Dec 16 - Dec 22)

Frodo

It's rather "impressive" how little legs Skyward Sword had.

Wii Motion + might be responsible. The other Zelda that needed an accessory (MM needing the Expansion Pack) also didn't perform too well (Not to mention that the series has been on a decline for quite a while now).

Well the PS3 had two new JRPG with better starts, Dragon Dogma (does it even count? It also had one of the best start in recent times for a new IP in general) and White Knight Chronicle (I keep being baffled by that game's "success", it was awful). I guess if you count the best releases it also had Demon's Soul (but the original release did around 180k).

Checked the PSP and I couldn't find a new IP jrpg with a ~190k start... Not sure if LBX is a jrpg or not.

In general, recently, launching a new IP to numbers higher than 200-250k is rather rare it seems.

Well obviously SE wanted more from the game considering the first shipment. Reception was rather good iirc, so they might feel like a sequel could actually improve on the original... Then again it's been "ages" and I doubt a sequel now would do much better.

You got most of them:

Dragons Dogma
Demons Souls
White Knight Chronicles
Resonance of Fate

I was thinking having SE behind it might mean something but alas. I mean 360 had a couple of good selling jrpgs:

Blue Dragon - 200k
Last Remnant - 150k

I thought a sequel was in the works since I remember a teaser some time ago. I can't remember for the life of me though.

The World Ends with You sales performance was pretty mediocre, why should Square Enix release a sequel?

First Week Sales

[NDS] The World Ends with You (Square Enix) {2007.07.27} - 81.326 / NEW <41,0%> 198.389 estimated copies shipped.

LTD as of December 30, 2007

[NDS] The World Ends with You (Square Enix) {2007.07.27} - 81.326 / 192.955
1. Because they have hinted at
2. The game is more popular now than when it was released as a new IP
3. Solid sales worldwide

L~A

I found the article about the auditions :

This morning, Square Enix announced that, on November 26th, they will be holding a live concert based on the game at the Shibuya O-West concert hall in Shibuya, Tokyo. Composer, Takeharu Ishimoto, who made the announcement, has confirmed he will be present. Further details will be announced at a later date.

This live event will also have another purpose: it will serve as the third stage of an ongoing audition for a vocalist, who will be given the opportunity to participate in a future Square Enix game that Ishimoto is involved in.

Stage 1 involved recording a cover for a song from The World Ends With You . Stage 2 involves a video performance, with the video being published on the net, and viewers being allowed to comment on it. The third and final screening will take place at the live event.

Additionally, Square Enix have also announced a release date for the upcoming The World Ends With You -Crossover- soundtrack album. It will be released on October 10th in Japan for 1,890 yen.

These events are part of an ongoing push for The World Ends With You by Square. It began when characters from the series made guest appearances in Kingdom Hearts 3D: Dream Drop Distance for the Nintendo 3DS, with creator, Tetsuya Nomura, indicating that Square were thinking of the series&#8217; future.

Then, late last month, Square Enix ported The World Ends With You to iOS platforms as The World Ends With You: Solo Remix. This version of the game included a teaser at the very end that hinted at what was possibly a new project.

Shortly after the release of Solo Remix, the original game&#8217;s director, Tatsuya Kando, shared that he is working on other projects related to the series as well.

It doesn't exactly confirms much, but it's a positive sign... then again, it was back in 2012. That's quite a long time between audition and potential game release (provided it's for TWEWY2).

Alrus

when is last remnant ps3 coming out

I always wondered why Square never bothered with that port, it could have been rather successful and the PC changes actually made the game quite good (if you ignore the awful story that is).

Glass Rebel

I always wondered why Square never bothered with that port, it could have been rather successful and the PC changes actually made the game quite good (if you ignore the awful story that is).

Weak critical reception
Weak commercial reception
Unreal Engine 3

Just for fun, worldwide Legend of Zelda sales:

Code:
[B]Sys.	Game						LTD units	As of[/B]

N64	The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time		7.600.000	Dec 06
Wii	The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess		7.070.000	Dec 12
NES	The Legend of Zelda				6.510.000	Dec 06
NDS	The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass		4.750.000	Dec 12
SNES	The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past		4.610.000	Dec 06
GCN	The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker		4.420.000	Dec 06
NES	Zelda II: The Adventure of Link			4.380.000	Dec 06
GBC	The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Ages/Seasons	3.990.000	Dec 06
GB	The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening		3.830.000	Dec 06
Wii	The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword		3.590.000	Dec 12
N64	The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask		3.360.000	Dec 06
NDS	The Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks		2.930.000	Dec 12
GBA	The Legend of Zelda: Four Swords Adventures	2.720.000	Dec 06
GBA	The Legend of Zelda: The Minish Cap		1.760.000	Dec 06
GCN	The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess		1.320.000	Mar 07

3DS	The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D		2.950.000	Mar 13
GBC	The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening DX	2.220.000	Dec 06

Wii	Link's Crossbow Training (with Wii Zapper)	5.780.000	Dec 12

A Link between Worlds sold 405.000 (digital + retail + bundle) in the USA.

Going to be interesting where it ends up overall.

L~A

I think it's pretty much guaranteed ALBW is already a million-seller, and it shouldn't have any trouble reaching 2 millions by the end of FY 2013-14.

Xun

Good to see the Wii U do better in Japan, I just hope it's starting to pick up momentum in the western markets as well.

It certainly deserves more sales than it's getting (like the Vita).

Takao

Banned
Square Enix has yet to officially cancel The Last Remnant on PS3. It's listed as an upcoming release on their site. It still pops up on Famitsu Most Wanted lists too, haha.

will they port the pc version to ps4 ???

L~A

Square Enix has yet to officially cancel The Last Remnant on PS3. It's listed as an upcoming release on their site. It still pops up on Famitsu Most Wanted lists too, haha.

will they port the pc version to ps4 ???

They're in a contest with Sony and The Last Guardian: whoever launches their game first loses.

Taurus

Code:

Is that Twilight Princess number correct? That's incredibly low considering it was launched on GC and also on Wii, although it was Wii launch game.

Oh, nvm. I'm dumb as fuck. :D The games are separated on the list and I was only looking at GC version numbers. Silly me.

I'm thinking 350-500k LTD for Zelda. Last comparable game is Minish Cap with an LTD of 235k (Famitsu). Bundle will help; I don't think Minish Cap had one in Japan.

Same range for Donkey Kong.

sörine

Banned
Ha! Namco-Bandai can't even be bothered to put friggin' Tales of the Abyss on the Nintendo eShop, so you're more likely to see GTA6 as a Wii U exclusive than NB putting even a straight port of Tales of Symphonia on 3DS.
It's a shame Namco didn't port Symphonia to 3DS. It would have sold better than it did on PS3.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
The last number I saw on Nintendo fiscal earnings for Zelda TP was 5.82m on march 2011.

Where this 7.07m came from?

So the price drop incresed the sales a lot, if I'm not completely mistaken? Comparing Skyward Sword to TP pre-pricedrop, SS actually sold quite OK, considering it needs an add-on and came very late in Wii's lifecycle, when all the hype was gone already.

wrowa

The last number I saw on Nintendo fiscal earnings for Zelda TP was 5.82m on march 2011.

Where this 7.07m came from?

Gamecube version? I think the Wii and GameCube versions always were reported seperately.

Looking at the numbers again, I think it's fairly likely that Captain Smoker's source combined both versions and got to 7.1 million that way.

L~A

Gamecube version? I think the Wii and GameCube versions always were reported seperately.

Looking at the numbers again, I think it's fairly likely that Captain Smoker's source combined both versions and got to 7.1 million that way.

No, both versions are listed separately. And it wouldn't be surprising for the game to have sold an additional 2 millions during the past 2.7 years, especially with the Nintendo Selects re-print.

And yeah, Wii Motion Plus really didn't help Skyward Sword, especially in Japan. A mandatory accessory is the best way to make sure your game doesn't sell to its full potential. Should've packed a WiiMotion Plus with each copy, along with the WiiMote Plus bundle.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
It's pretty clear they're making quite a bit of money with those 3DS games, so going straight to iOS doesn't make sense. Why say no to some additional dough? It's not like making Theatrhythm is making them bleed money, quite the opposite. Their current approach is real smart imo, and not strange at all.

What gets me though is that they've implied that they intend to stop doing this model.

Like if this was just their obvious plan and they were going to move on to Theatrhythm: Dragon Quest and Theatrhythm: Kingdom Hearts with 3DS -> iOS/Android strategies, it would seem entirely logical to me, but why halt what is a successful business model if it's notably successful?

Spiegel

PSN 2013 (January 1st - December 15th) rankings

Top 10
01.[Vita] Dragon's Crown (Atlus)
02.[PS3] Dragon's Crown (Atlus)
03.[PSP] Super Robot Wars Operation Extend (Namco Bandai)
04.[Vita] God Eater 2 (Namco Bandai)
05.[Vita] Senran Kagura: Shinovi Versus (Marvelous AQL)
06.[Vita] Toukiden (Tecmo Koei)
07.[Vita] Soul Sacrifice (SCE)
08.[PS3] Earth Defense Force 4 (D3)
09.[Vita] Demon Gaze (Kadokawa)
10.[PSP] Summon Night 5 (Namco Bandai)
>36,488

Vita Top 10
02.[Vita] God Eater 2 (Namco Bandai)
03.[Vita] Senran Kagura: Shinovi Versus (Marvelous AQL)
04.[Vita] Toukiden (Tecmo Koei)
05.[Vita] Soul Sacrifice (SCE)
06.[Vita] Demon Gaze (Kadokawa) > 36,488
07.[Vita] Oboro Murasama (Marvelous AQL)
08.[Vita] Persona 4 Golden (Atlus)
09.[Vita] Monster Monpiece (Idea Factory)
10.[Vita] Valhalla Knights 3 (Marvelous AQL)

PS3 (retail) Top 10
01.[PS3] Dragon's Crown (Atlus)
02.[PS3] Earth Defense Force 4 (D3)
03.[PS3] Terraria (Spike Chunsoft)
04.[PS3] Dynasty Warriors 7 (Tecmo Koei)
05.[PS3] FFXIV (Square Enix) >29323
06.[PS3] Gundam Breaker (Namco Bandai)
07.[PS3] Terraria Release Key? (Spike Chunsoft)
08.[PS3] Jikkyou Powerful Pro Baseball 2013 (Konami)
09.[PS3] Hatsune Miku-Project DIVA-F (Sega)
10.[PS3] Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen (Capcom)

Famitsu estimates for FFXIV in September+October (29323)

+ PSP, PSN, PSX and F2P games

http://www.jp.playstation.com/psn/store/sp/131227storerank2013/?ref=rss

Edit

Just realized that Rain is not in the TOP10 of best selling games (number 2 in the PSN Top 10), so all of the games in the overall Top 10 and the Top 6 Vita games sold at least 36,488 copies on the PSN this year

BriBri

What gets me though is that they've implied that they intend to stop doing this model.

Like if this was just their obvious plan and they were going to move on to Theatrhythm: Dragon Quest and Theatrhythm: Kingdom Hearts with 3DS -> iOS/Android strategies, it would seem entirely logical to me, but why halt what is a successful business model if it's notably successful?
I can hum the Dragon Quest theme all day. Why we haven't seen Theatrhythm: Dragon Quest is absolutely insane.

Top 10
> 29323

Vita Top 10
06.[Vita] Demon Gaze (Kadokawa) > 29323

PS3 Top 10

That's seems very high for digital sales in Japan. That would mean Demon Gaze probably sold more online than retail. Seems weird. Does anyone know how much Dragon's Crown sold at retail?

Top 10
>36,488

Vita Top 10
06.[Vita] Demon Gaze (Kadokawa) > 36,488

PS3 (retail) Top 10

Edit

Just realized that Rain is not in the TOP10 of best selling games (number 2 in the PSN Top 10), so all of the games in the overall Top 10 and the Top 6 Vita games sold at least 36,488 copies on the PSN this year

Wow at Dragons Crown. That game was a real success for Vanillaware.

L~A

Ah yes, I see now. Well, Curtain Call is probably gonna get the iOS treatment down the road too, I think. I don't believe it's gonna remain a 3DS exclusive, and it wouldn't exactly be a new Theatrhythm game either.

Surprised they aren't doing it for DQ, though, I'm sure they'd have plenty of stuff to pick from.

Redhood

from where did we get the data for Rain's sales?

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
That's seems very high for digital sales in Japan. That would mean Demon Gaze probably sold more online than retail. Seems weird. Does anyone know how much Dragon's Crown sold at retail?

It's probably better to wait for Famitsu top 100 and MC top 1000, to have a better look on overall sales.
Considering the kind of title (and how retail sales trended), I suppose Senran Kagura should be in the 40-45k ballpark (around 20-30k back in March). Some good / great results there.

Code:

It's pretty clear that gamers want the OoT/TP style Zelda. You hear that Nintendo?

Road

Well, these are estimates by Famitsu and we don't know how accurate they are.

But Spike Chunsoft, which publishes Terraria in Japan, said to Famitsu that Terraria was around 120k sold to consumers, with 45% being download, so ~54k. (I don't know if they publish the game in other Asian countries, though.)

So everything in the overall top 10 would be over 54k 27k at least.

No, both versions are listed separately. And it wouldn't be surprising for the game to have sold an additional 2 millions during the past 2.7 years, especially with the Nintendo Selects re-print.

Cap. Smoker listed them separately, but if I remember correctly (I didn't save the pdf either...) there were only Wii numbers; the GC numbers are from Nintendo's reports. It is possible, yes, the source combined both. But then the numbers should be even higher than 7.07 million...

Spiegel

GE2 should be getting closer to 400k on Vita alone adding PSN + retail.

from where did we get the data for Rain's sales?

Same link as FFXIV's sales

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=91459969&postcount=1159

But Spike Chunsoft, which publishes Terraria in Japan, said to Famitsu that Terraria was around 120k sold to consumers, with 45% being download, so ~54k. (I don't know if they publish the game in other Asian countries, though.)

So everything in the overall top 10 would be over 54k at least.

Terraria is listed twice in the PS3 chart, so maybe it could have gotten a place in the overall Top 10 if counted together.

Mpl90

So everything in the overall top 10 would be over 54k at least.

Cap. Smoker listed them separately, but if I remember correctly (I didn't save the pdf either...) there were only Wii numbers; the GC numbers are from Nintendo's reports. It is possible, yes, the source combined both. But then the numbers should be even higher than 7.07 million...

Demon Gaze over 54k just with digital sales, and no report about the game being over 100k units sold to customers ever, since the last updated had it at 60k? That sound a bit fishy, unfortunately.

Edit: Just saw Spiegel post, that should explain things.

Found the file, they probably changed the link. ^^

http://www.google.de/url?sa=t&rct=j...Hp9rBfe_io7sHSQ&bvm=bv.58187178,d.Yms&cad=rja

Page 33: NDS & 3DS

Page 41: Wii & Wii U

Yeah, GCN + Wii would be over 7.07, so it isn't combined.

Wasn't there a comment from them (probably Anouma) about WWHD being a test for an HD Zelda style? Maybe I'm misremembering, I hope I am anyway because if not it really makes me want to facepalm.
He said that they were experimenting with HD-artstyles for the next Wii U game.

The E3 demo was one of these tests too. But they thought that it changed Wind Wakers look that much that they should release a HD version of it.

Road

Terraria is listed twice in the PS3 chart, so maybe it could have gotten a place in the overall Top 10 if counted together.

Oh, I missed that. Makes sense, then. So at least 27k for everything in the top 10 going by Spike Chunsoft.

The Game Archives rankings are always surprising:

1. [PS1] Final Fantasy IX
2. [PS1] Final Fantasy VII International
3. [PS1] Final Fantasy VIII
4. [PS1] Final Fantasy VI
5. [PS1] Final Fantasy V
6. [PS1] Chrono Trigger
7. [PS1] Chrono Cross
8. [PS1] Legend of Mana
9. [PS1] Final Fantasy Tactics
10. [PS1] Super Robot Wars Alpha

Nintendo was so aggressive moneyhating Dragon Quest outside of Sony they can't even put it on the PSN. At the same time, they were so focused on their immediate competition they forgot SE had other option -- smartphones. =P

But seriously, do we know the reason why DQ was never put on PSN or Virtual Console?

Found the file, they probably changed the link. ^^

http://www.google.de/url?sa=t&rct=j...Hp9rBfe_io7sHSQ&bvm=bv.58187178,d.Yms&cad=rja

Page 33: NDS & 3DS

Page 41: Wii & Wii U

Yeah, GCN + Wii would be over 7.07, so it isn't combined.

That's different file. It is more recent, actually, sales until Jun 2013. It lists Fire Emblem Awakening over 1 million, for instance.

Mpl90

Top Bottom