• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 51, 2013 (Dec 16 - Dec 22)

sörine

Banned
I think Chronicles 2nd was kind of like SK Burst, not a full sequel. I think it still did like 70K. DW vs megabombed though.
Yeah, Chronicles 2nd did okay, it was Vs that bombed. It was more of a multiplayer spinoff too I believe, like the Multi-Raid games on PSP and PS3.

Still, I won't be surprised if we see Zelda Musou Special on 3DS in 2015.

wrowa

They sure are doing it wrong if they are trying to keep WiiU from drowning with a crossover game. It never made and still doesn't make any sense for it to be a WiiU game. It's a game that needs both of these franchises to be on the console and fans getting it in order to make their entry to the other franchise. It should have been a 3DS game from day 1.

Just like Zelda Musou will also be pointless.

Disclaimer: This is not a "WiiU should not get games" thing. It just happens that both of these examples are pretty similar and they both happen to be for WiiU.

Neither SMT x FE nor Zelda Musou would exist if they weren't on Wii U. Nintendo's not doing crossovers, because they love the idea of crossing their franchises with others, but because it's the easiest way to get 3rd party partners to develop exclusive content for their otherwise starving console. Crossing it with Nintendo's franchises guarantees that the software will at least sell a certain amount of copies -- and the 3rd party involved can hope to expand the audience of his own IP to a new group of people.

Zelda Musou is a perfect example of this. Wii U owners will buy it, because it's a Zelda game -- even though most of them (in the west, at least) probably have never played a Musou game before. It's a great chance for Koei to expand the audience of Musou games, while at the same time Nintendo has a new game in one of their most popular series to keep their schedule busy. It's not farfetched to assume that Hyrule Warriors might become the best-selling Warriors game outside of Japan period.

AmanoBuff

It begins, Zelda sold out in some shops in my area:

http://i1342.photobucket.com/albums/o763/hiska-kun/soldout3_zps29e997e2.png
http://i1342.photobucket.com/albums/o763/hiska-kun/soldout_zpsa26ab356.png

Final Fantasy Double Pack for Vita is also sold out. There's stock for the individual version and for PS3.

http://i1342.photobucket.com/albums/o763/hiska-kun/soldout2_zps1352e120.png

The Vita Twin Pack has also better reviews than the PS3 version on Amazon and it has remained even above the PS3 version there since release, which is quite surprising. SE remained very tight lipped about the Vita version the whole time, so I think (just my guess) that once it released and it proved to play and run great, fans might be more favorable to the portable version now.

I wonder how well these remasters will open across both platforms. My guess is 250k+

About ZALBW, I'm really curious about it. Japan seemed to be leaning towards 3D Zelda in the past few years iirc, but this new 2D entry seems to be doing extremely well.

Go... Final Fantasy..... Go....

Good sales will increase the chance of a HD remaster of XII :D

Yep, everything indicates FFXHD is doing quite well, so I hope we also get XII on PS3/Vita.

I think Western sales are more important tbh.

I think so too, but I wouldn't be worried since these versions have content that never made it to the U.S., so I think it will also sell well here.

The real question is...will the Vita outsell the 3DS thanks to the
beloved
FFX?

Too bad suppadoopa is banned. :(

Not a single chance. It is holiday and the 3DS has one of its most representative franchises that also comes with a bundle. I think Vita's numbers could exceed last week though.

Kouriozan

It's not farfetched to assume that Hyrule Warriors might become the best-selling Warriors game outside of Japan period.

Do we know how well Pirate Warriors did?
Or, more on topic, how much do we think it might sell in Japan comparing to Kaizoku Musou.
Userbase is a strong factor for this, of course, maybe comparing attach rate would be wiser?
It would be an interesting game to follow, saleswise, indeed.

Also, glad to know that FF X/X-2 is moving Vita, I feared it wouldn't because of the PS3 release.

extralite

sörine;95051785 said:
DQ and DQII on iOS are only 500 yen though and in line with Virtual Console pricing. I could see the FC/SFC/GBC games finally come to VC for 500/1000/600 yen each. Maybe the PS1 titles on Game Archives too at the more premium pricepoint of 1500 yen each.
Since 1~5 will probably not be remade anymore anytime soon and the remakes/portable ports are almost all done selling, maybe yes.

sörine;95051785 said:
Premium pricing used to be why SE never used these retro services before but that's clearly changing now with their smartphone/tablet rollout.
I think the real aim of these smartphone versions is to:

- reach former DQ fans who only play on mobile anymore.
- remind them why and how much they liked DQ.
- give the impression that you need a real controller to play games like DQ, in other words create a want for a console with this audience.

Case in point: they don't use the superior touch optimized controls of 9 which would have worked perfectly for 8 as well, instead trying to recreate button controls on the touch screen. That will make people think they need a proper controller.

About ZALBW, I'm really curious about it. Japan seemed to be leaning towards 3D Zelda in the past few years iirc, but this new 2D entry seems to be doing extremely well.

Out of the four recent Zeldas, PH and ST (both 2D) far outsold the 3D ones, TP and SS. ALBW is actually more 3D than all previous original handheld Zeldas.

Alrus

Do we know how well Pirate Warriors did?
Or, more on topic, how much do we think it might sell in Japan comparing to Kaizoku Musou.
Userbase is a strong factor for this, of course, maybe comparing attach rate would be wiser?
It would be an interesting game to follow, saleswise, indeed.

It will never touch One Piece musou in Japan, not even close. The userbase isn't there, and Zelda is not nearly as popular as One Piece these days.

In the west, well it depends. In the US I expect Zelda Musou to be one of the best selling entries in the musou because Zelda is still extremely popular there. In Europe, One Piece Musou (and the second one) had huge shipments iirc, and Zelda isn't as popular there as it is in the US (and One Piece is one of the premier anime franchise there too), so I'm not sure Zelda Musou will do that well.

hongcha

The Vita Twin Pack has also better reviews than the PS3 version on Amazon and it has remained even above the PS3 version there since release, which is quite surprising.

It was usually above the PS3 version on Amazon when both were available, during the preorder weeks.

Mory Dunz

Is everyone expecting a large Vita bump? To go higher than the U? Is this based on FFX or is there something else I'm forgetting?

donny2112

No, he meant MH3GHD.

If you're going to get on someone for using the wrong acronym, it helps to not mess up the acronym yourself when replying. Chris1964 uses the U.S. title in the thread, but the game is actually called Monster Hunter 3 G HD Version in Japan. :)
Yet he didnt say MH3GHD at all, just 3G, so hes still wrong then.

Which is why I said that he meant to say MH3GHD. :p

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
FE X SMT will bomb on WiiU and it may put FE back in jeopardy. I'd rather have the series survive than go back to pre Awakening numbers and problems.

I feel that publishers usually don't judge the viability of series based on spin-offs.

For example, I don't think Namco or Capcom would kill off Tekken or Street Fighters respectively due to the performance of SFxT.

When the spin-off is on a different platform than the mainline games, I feel that rings even more true. Peace Walker certainly didn't seem to stop Konami from wanting to make more Metal Gear.

Son Of D

I feel that publishers usually don't judge the viability of series based on spin-offs.

For example, I don't think Namco or Capcom would kill off Tekken or Street Fighters respectively due to the performance of SFxT.

When the spin-off is on a different platform than the mainline games, I feel that rings even more true. Peace Walker certainly didn't seem to stop Konami from wanting to make more Metal Gear.

Pretty much this. At worst if SMTxFE bombs on Wii U, then the franchises will just stay on handheld. If it sells decently, you'll probably see a FE game later on for Wii U as well as maybe a HD port of a SMT game.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I'm sure a 3DS game is in the works even with FExSMT

In general I'm under the impression that Nintendo's outsourcing and collaboration initiative is largely driven not just by content variety, but to lessen Nintendo's development load.

Smash Bros and Luigi's Mansion, while having Nintendo oversight, are largely made by Namco and Next Level.

Looking at Hyrule Warriors, I'm assuming the vast majority of the work here is being done by Omega Force.

Similarly, I would expect SMTxFE to largely be an Atlus project. Now, I realize they're a smaller developer than normal, but I still am assuming that they're doing most of the work, especially given that SMT is the franchise listed first in the title.

As such, I'm also assuming that Intelligent Systems is largely focused on their own projects.

That said, SMTxFE could be a notably larger project than I think it is, at which point Atlus might need a bunch of Intelligent Systems staff to make it.

So why did Dynasty Warriors VS bomb on 3DS when Samurai Warriors Chronicles/2nd did well? It was a very rare DW on a Nintendo platform (only Dynasty Warriors DS and Dynasty Warriors Advance came prior IIRC), while Samurai Warriors had more recent exposure; Samurai Warriors Katana, Samurai Warriors 3 (did like 200+ on Wii) and then Chronicles and the 2nd expansion on 3DS. Makes you wonder (in a sense) why Samurai Warriors 4 isn't on Wii U. Maybe if Hyrule Warriors does well they'll put Xtreme Legends and/or Empires on it. Wonder if they'll do that with Hyrule Warriors.

Kouriozan

It will never touch One Piece musou in Japan, not even close. The userbase isn't there, and Zelda is not nearly as popular as One Piece these days.

In the west, well it depends. In the US I expect Zelda Musou to be one of the best selling entries in the musou because Zelda is still extremely popular there. In Europe, One Piece Musou (and the second one) had huge shipments iirc, and Zelda isn't as popular there as it is in the US (and One Piece is one of the premier anime franchise there too), so I'm not sure Zelda Musou will do that well.
I see.
I already knew that One Piece is HUGE in Japan, but didn't know how it is worldwide.

L Thammy

So why did Dynasty Warriors VS bomb on 3DS when Samurai Warriors Chronicles/2nd did well? It was a very rare DW on a Nintendo platform (only Dynasty Warriors DS and Dynasty Warriors Advance came prior IIRC), while Samurai Warriors had more recent exposure; Samurai Warriors Katana, Samurai Warriors 3 (did like 200+ on Wii) and then Chronicles and the 2nd expansion on 3DS. Makes you wonder (in a sense) why Samurai Warriors 4 isn't on Wii U. Maybe if Hyrule Warriors does well they'll put Xtreme Legends and/or Empires on it. Wonder if they'll do that with Hyrule Warriors.

Musou games aren't actually all the same, they're just very similar. Audiences will respond poorly to gameplay experiments that don't appeal to them.

Dynasty Warriors Vs. was focused on versus multiplayer, hence the title. I think the producer compared it to Mario Kart.
Dynasty Warriors Katana, Advance, and DS were also pretty weird. Katana was a rail shooter/slasher.

Hyrule Warriors will also likely have some gameplay features to differentiate it from the main series, but they won't be so drastic.

donny2112

Is week 52 typically that big a drop from 51? The Wii U drops being predicted are a little rough.

It varies a bit by the calendar depending on when Christmas/New Year's fall. For the last time the year ended on ~ Dec. 29, see Dec. 30, 2007 week. (Due to Leap Years, the last time it ended on Dec. 29 was 2002, so picked something a little closer.)

Cheesemeister said:
Code:
    Hardware - This Week | Last Week |       YTD |        LTD
    1. NDS   -   218,894 |   279,563 | 7,167,372 | 21,173,051
    2. PSP   -   161,370 |   171,804 | 3,069,465 |  7,601,594
    3. WII   -   152,209 |   232,907 | 3,696,517 |  4,616,160
    4. PS3   -    52,706 |    58,167 | 1,184,118 |  1,641,676
    5. PS2   -    25,569 |    20,391 |   772,178 | 20,927,037
    6. 360   -     8,304 |     7,908 |   242,639 |    507,341
    7. GBA   -       136 |       100 |    50,770 | 15,348,849
    8. NGC   -        67 |        31 |    10,593 |  4,180,061

That's ...

DS @ -22%
PSP @ -6%
WII @ -35%
PS3 @ -9%

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Seeing these charts just makes me sad we'll probably never see crazy numbers like the DS pulled back then.

Honestly the industry total in general is down astronomically.

434,256 vs. 770,871 for dedicated hardware, or a 43.7% decline.

I can understand why publishers are increasingly more risk averse and less interested in going outside their major success stories.

AmanoBuff

It was usually above the PS3 version on Amazon when both were available, during the preorder weeks.

Nope. The Vita version was always below. The only time it topped the PS3 version was for a few days when the PS3 version preorder didn't had a discount. The moment it got its discount back, it only took a few hours for it to overtake the Vita version again.

Anyway, the PS3 version is one spot higher now on Amazon. But I'm still surprised the Vita Twin Pack keeps doing well over there.

Also, I think I've seldom seen six Vita items (games and accessories) in the top 20 on Amazon. I didn't know SAO was such a strong franchise either. Looking forward to how it will sell.

CANLI

I'm downloading for free the Kid Icarus game (2 games + 1 free promotion)
Do you think Famitsu will count free downloads in their charts.?

BriBri

I'm downloading for free the Kid Icarus game (2 games + 1 free promotion)
Do you think Famitsu will count free downloads in their charts.?
Even if they do, what does it mean? Nintendo included them then excluded them in their charts. Will they include Darumeshi Sports Store? Initial D? The Street Pass Mii Plaza games? Also will the digital charts include download cards and hence be counted twice? So many questions that I guess only time will answer.

And enjoy KI:U! I found it bizarre hearing Pit talk in Japanese!

Takao

Banned
What is the difference other than swapping the name order?

I imagine one would play like a SMT game, where as the other would play like a FE game. It's the kind of thing Namco and Capcom were planning to do with Street Fighter X Tekken, and Tekken X Street Fighter.

Son Of D

What is the difference other than swapping the name order?

I think it's a play on how Street Fighter X Tekken and Tekken X Street Fighter are named. SFxT is Capcom developed and plays more like SF whereas TxSF is Namco developed and plays more like Tekken.

Is week 52 typically that big a drop from 51? The Wii U drops being predicted are a little rough.

I'm not really the one to ask mate, I'm certainly no expert I was just guessing for fun. Good to see others looking into their crystal balls aswell ;-).

Final Fantasy X/X-2 double pack is doing well.

Final Fantasy X|X-2 HD Remaster

It has a bundle too, but it's probably the ugliest Vita bundle I've ever seen so I wouldn't expect a whole lot from that.

Harada has said it was moved to next/current gen, but I don't believe it will ever come out.

cool have there been hints on how well it is selling?

can't believe Final Fantasy is still a system seller with all the trash talked about it in recent years, good for SE

Nibel

Well, not yet. Should have worded that better. TxSF probably won't be released until 2017, after Namco are done with Smash, Tekken 7 and whatever else they're doing.

If it even gets made that is.

Harada has said it was moved to next/current gen, but I don't believe it will ever come out.

Ah, okay! I knew that they announced two games back then, but I can't see it happening, especially after how bad the first did and how packed Namco's schedule seems to be

Top Bottom