• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 51, 2013 (Dec 16 - Dec 22)

Orgen

Good numbers for the Nintendo family.

Now it's up to Nintendo to get the software going in 2014. I was going to suggest that Nintendo should keep "borrowing" franchises to other studios (like Grezzo with OOT) but after the Wii Fit U disaster I don't think Nintendo is thinking about this.

What's clear is that even launching in 2014 all the games announced so far maybe is not enough to keep the Wii U alive, so Nintendo should be looking at increasing their software output.

And launching Smash Bros first on Wii U and later on 3DS of course :p

Orgen

Are we really going with Nintendo family? I felt dirty enough with "Playstation family" from the 2000s.

I was saying "Nintendo family" just because they benefit more from the Holiday Bumps than Sony products and because I was talking only about Nintendo.

It was not PR bullshit or trying to make Nintendo look better, don't worry ;)

PS3 notable titles from Fall 06- Fall 07

Mobile Suit Gundam Crossfire
Ridge Racer 7
Boku no Natsuyasumi 3
DW Gundam
Everybody's Golf 5
DW6
Ratchet and Clank ToD
PES 08
GT5 P

PS3 sales: 1.63 million

PS4 Notable titles from Feb 14 - Feb 15 ,what we know so far!

FFXIV
Yakuza Ishin
COD Ghosts
BF4
DW8 XL
MGS GZ

[2014] but with no date

Wonderflick
Lily Bergamo
Guilty Gear Xrd

Games from SCEJA with no release date:

Deep Down
Gundam game
EDF game
idolmaster game

you guys should know which are also on PS3 or other platforms so I didn't bother mentioning that :p

I would personally say PS3's first year is a little bit better, but both are pretty average (MGS: GZ has potential, but that's about it I think). Eventually the big titles will come for PS4, but my prediction is that it will basically follow the PS3's sales pattern for the first year.

Cheerilee

Was the GameCube supply constrained in 2003 or did something else happen for it to go up in week 52 (like a 53 week year)?

Yes and no.

When GameCube only sold 5 million units in it's second year, falling well short of it's expected 9 million units, Nintendo apparently set an industry record with more than 4 million consoles gathering dust in their warehouses.

Iwata was advised to cut the price to $99, but he had a better idea: Leave it at $150, and shut down all GameCube production. PR boasted about all the money Nintendo was saving by not having to pay factory workers to make GameCubes, and all the money Nintendo wasn't losing by not selling GameCubes at a minor loss.

Sales plummeted, and retail was revolting, so Iwata was forced to drop the price in September. Sales jumped up to around 4 million, and then the console was essentially sold out.

Iwata restarted the factories in November, but they took time to get back up to speed, so they missed Black Friday, and were supply constrained through Christmas. After Christmas, all the hype died off.

Iwata referred to this when he dropped the price of the 3DS (and saved it), citing it as a reason not to be gun-shy.

test_account

XP-39C²
PS3 is at the tail of a gaussian bell.
There is nothing surprising, it is going to struggle to top 10M and then will be quietly phased out after the PS4 is launched.
Its less than 500k until it reached 10 million, i dont think it will be much of a struggle.

I would personally say PS3's first year is a little bit better, but both are pretty average (MGS: GZ has potential, but that's about it I think). Eventually the big titles will come for PS4, but my prediction is that it will basically follow the PS3's sales pattern for the first year.

I think right now PS4's is looking better and has more potential if some of those ames without dates released in 2014. Also you have to remember stuff like PES 08, GT5 P and DW6 were only announced in summer 07 so more than half a year after the PS3 was released. However I do think Sony and third parties have revealed much more about the PS4 lineup than at the same point in time with the PS3.

casiopao

Kuma Tomo will be 100,000+ by the end of the year! Take that you violent dudebro games you!

Can't said i am not happy with that here.^_^

Some pics for you here.^_^ Don't get shocked though.(Or get your sugar level off the chart lol.^_^)

Kuma_Tomo_298617.9.jpg

SS

ßig

Unconfirmed Member
29/36 3DS World Soccer Winning Eleven 2014 Konami 13/11/14 14,041 51,365 70%
34/24 PS3 World Soccer Winning Eleven 2014 Konami 13/11/14 12,006 251,603 -2%
48/44 PSP World Soccer Winning Eleven 2014 Konami 13/11/14 8,188 53,359 31%

Ladies and gentlemen, this is history we're witnessing.

Oh snap, this is actually happening. Amazon didn't lie.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
ßig;94847959 said:
Oh snap, this is actually happening. Amazon didn't lie.

This is the first time EVER that a Nintendo SKU of Winning Eleven obtains to outsell in one week the one for the current PlayStation home console. Three weeks ago, 3DS SKU started selling better than PSP one, making the first time ever a Nintendo SKU outsold a PlayStation one period, but this is more "relevant".

Surely, WE 2014 doing that bad on PS3 compared to past years helped a lot. Still, it's something I wouldn't have expected to see happening this year.

Especially considering how "no one bought PES on 3DS"[cit.]

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
50./00. [WIU] Pikmin 3 <ACT> (Nintendo) {2013.07.13} (¥5.985)

So glad to see it profited at least a bit from Wii U's great christmas performance. How many units are we talking here? At least a couple thousand, I guess?

Now it's up to Nintendo to get the software going in 2014. I was going to suggest that Nintendo should keep "borrowing" franchises to other studios (like Grezzo with OOT) but after the Wii Fit U disaster I don't think Nintendo is thinking about this.

What Wii Fit U disaster, what did I miss? Do you mean the Wii Fit transfer issues?

Yes and no.

When GameCube only sold 5 million units in it's second year, falling well short of it's expected 9 million units, Nintendo apparently set an industry record with more than 4 million consoles gathering dust in their warehouses.

Iwata was advised to cut the price to $99, but he had a better idea: Leave it at $150, and shut down all GameCube production. PR boasted about all the money Nintendo was saving by not having to pay factory workers to make GameCubes, and all the money Nintendo wasn't losing by not selling GameCubes at a minor loss.

Sales plummeted, and retail was revolting, so Iwata was forced to drop the price in September. Sales jumped up to around 4 million, and then the console was essentially sold out.

Iwata restarted the factories in November, but they took time to get back up to speed, so they missed Black Friday, and were supply constrained through Christmas. After Christmas, all the hype died off.

Iwata referred to this when he dropped the price of the 3DS (and saved it), citing it as a reason not to be gun-shy.

Which begs the question: what have they been building this year? They originally forecast 5.5m shipped by April 2013, and will have built most or all of that stock on time, but they might not have needed to build a single extra unit since then. Maybe the same factories were used to refurbish the recalled 8gb models into 32gb models?

smbu2000

Dengeki Weekly Software Highlights: Week 51, 2013 (Dec 16 - Dec 22)

New Dynasty Warriors: Gundam
  • 171K opening week (122K PS3, 49K Vita)
  • However, December 2010's "Dynasty Warriors: Gundam 3" had 196K opening week, 394K total
Do the Dynasty Warriors: Gundam 3 numbers include the numbers for Xbox 360 version as well?

GC managed 100k weekly in holidays 2003, seems like most of you forgot that...

I really don't see the point in sales comparisons between consoles released a decade apart tbh. If anything WiiU should be compared to Wii as it was Nintendo's last home console. Looking at the WiiU as a whole, the jump in sales from 3k to over 100k is amazing and although most of the sales can most definitely be attributed to the Holidays not all of it will be and should mean that the console has a much better baseline going into the new year.

If WiiU seriously goes back down to sub 5k sales in Japan / sub 40k sales per month in America before MK8 I would just pull the plug on the system and keep MK8 for the launch of the next one. I really don't want them to kill it early (I paid £450 for mine at launch) but there comes a point where it's just not worth even building them anymore, esp as they are losing money on the few they sell.

Virtual Console is such a missed opportunity for Nintendo. I've heard plenty of gamers say they would honestly buy a Nintendo console just for that service if it were more robust. There are some local retro game shops that do huge business selling older consoles or hardware clones to people with games triple the price they'd be on Wii VC.

For a company that strives on its legacy titles it's bizarre how little they care about this.

You know a $149 set top box that plays Netflix / media apps aswell as having every single Nintendo game available outside of WiiU for download might not be a bad idea for their next console.

Orgen

What Wii Fit U disaster, what did I miss? Do you mean the Wii Fit transfer issues?

Development hell. More than 6 month delayed due to problems with the development (Ganbarion's fault I think)

Anyway, I don't think we'll see a Wii Fit U + (unless is made by Nintendo this time).

without software Wii U can't go on so far, next big release is planned in middle February, of course if DK is enough strong, and being Smash Bros a multi with 3DS was not a wise decision in my opinion, Smash was always a... smash hit (lol) on Nintendo home, being multi might let Wii U version being cannibalized by 3DS one

Mario Kart 8 is coming... in April, 4 months with just DK means 10k weekly is likely around the corner

Sakurai has already said that the 3DS version of Smash will not arrive at the same time as the WiiU version, the story is in the OP of the Smash thread on here. If I had to guess I would say that Smash will arrive next November and the 3DS version in Spring 2015.

The only thing that confuses me about the Smash release date is that it was included in a Nintendo Direct that focused on titles coming in Spring 2014. In a dream scenario Nintendo would have DKC in Feb, MK8 in April and Smash in June, one massive first party title every two months for the first half of the year and then they would have Bayo 2, Hyrule Warriors and X for the last quarter.

I mean it did have a really good attach rate before the bundles, but considering the bundles seem to account for the vast majority of Wii U sales it's not surprising.

Hadn't WiiU sold 1.1 million units by the time the NSMB bundle arrived in Japan ?.

ASIS

Development hell. More than 6 month delayed due to problems with the development (Ganbarion's fault I think)

Anyway, I don't think we'll see a Wii Fit U + (unless is made by Nintendo this time).
How?!!! I didn't expect Wii Fit U, of all franchises, to face developmental hell. It makes no sense, any articles I can read about this?

Sakurai has already said that the 3DS version of Smash will not arrive at the same time as the WiiU version, the story is in the OP of the Smash thread on here. If I had to guess I would say that Smash will arrive next November and the 3DS version in Spring 2015.

The only thing that confuses me about the Smash release date is that it was included in a Nintendo Direct that focused on titles coming in Spring 2014. In a dream scenario Nintendo would have DKC in Feb, MK8 in April and Smash in June, one massive first party title every two months for the first half of the year and then they would have Bayo 2, Hyrule Warriors and X for the last quarter.

Hadn't WiiU sold 1.1 million units by the time the NSMB bundle arrived in Japan ?.

The only reason I'm sure Smash is coming near the holiday is that those other 3 would be a terrible holiday lineup,
Also yes, NSMBU had a very good attach rate before the bundle, but there was no way it was getting to a million this fast without it.

It really depends on what else they announce around E3 time and if they can get Zelda out around December.

I really want to believe we will see the new Zelda in Winter 2014 but not seeing it at VGX was the second final nail in the coffin imo, the final nail will be if we don't see it at the Jan Nintendo Direct and have to wait until E3. Has there ever been a new Zelda game shown off at E3 and released the same November ?. Miyamoto has also admitted they are struggling with HD development and Zelda will be by far the biggest project with regards to creating high quality assets.

I think Smash is the big holiday 2014 game and Zelda the big holiday 2015 game. I really don't know what Nintendo plan on putting out for WiiU in the first 3/4 of 2015 tbh as they will have already blown 2D Mario, 3D Mario, Wii Fit / Party / Sports, Pikmin, MK, Smash and DKC... Metroid, Starfox and F Zero are obvious choices but I have zero faith in current Nintendo developing those franchises as they historically don't make a lot of money.

BriBri

Why are people assuming we'll see a new Zelda shortly after Zelda Musou? I deem it much more likely that we'll see an Animal Crossing U beforehand. Especially as we've already seen how the character models look.

Why are people assuming we'll see a new Zelda shortly after Zelda Musou? I deem it much more likely that we'll see an Animal Crossing U beforehand. Especially as we've already seen how the character models look.

Because it's been officially announced and has been in development for 2.5 years already, they almost showed it at last years E3. I personally doubt we will get it before late 2015 though.

Madouu

Because it's been officially announced and has been in development for 2.5 years already, they almost showed it at last years E3. I personally doubt we will get it before late 2015 though.

When they announced it, it was pretty clear that it was still in a very early stage of development.

Sandfox

I really want to believe we will see the new Zelda in Winter 2014 but not seeing it at VGX was the second final nail in the coffin imo, the final nail will be if we don't see it at the Jan Nintendo Direct and have to wait until E3. Has there ever been a new Zelda game shown off at E3 and released the same November ?. Miyamoto has also admitted they are struggling with HD development and Zelda will be by far the biggest project with regards to creating high quality assets.

I think Smash is the big holiday 2014 game and Zelda the big holiday 2015 game. I really don't know what Nintendo plan on putting out for WiiU in the first 3/4 of 2015 tbh as they will have already blown 2D Mario, 3D Mario, Wii Fit / Party / Sports, Pikmin, MK, Smash and DKC... Metroid, Starfox and F Zero are obvious choices but I have zero faith in current Nintendo developing those franchises as they historically don't make a lot of money.
I'm expecting Nintendo to try and get Zelda out as soon as they can rather than waiting until holiday 2015 to release it.
When they announced it, it was pretty clear that it was still in a very early stage of development.
We learned just as much about Zelda in that Direct as we did about most of Nintendo's other big games so it could feasibly be decently along in development.

Good.

Great news! Don't know why they didn't make a DQ8r for 3DS though...

Because it was probably cheaper and easier to get that thing they're calling a port out on iOS. People expecting Zelda at the end of next year are setting themselves up for disappointment. I don't doubt they show it next year at E3.

And write down on your calendars, no numbers next week.

Next sales coming only:

4Gamer: January 8th.
Famitsu: January 6th

Although MC numbers might appear in other sites before that, including their own.

Do we know if Dengeki will release normal time next week? I haven't found any note about that yet.

Scum

29/36 3DS World Soccer Winning Eleven 2014 Konami 13/11/14 14,041 51,365 70%
34/24 PS3 World Soccer Winning Eleven 2014 Konami 13/11/14 12,006 251,603 -2%
48/44 PSP World Soccer Winning Eleven 2014 Konami 13/11/14 8,188 53,359 31%

Ladies and gentlemen, this is history we're witnessing.

Are the original Pro Evo team(s) still intact at Konami? Nintendo should just acquire them along with the IP. :lol

Madouu

We learned just as much about Zelda in that Direct as we did about most of Nintendo's other big games so it could feasibly be decently along in development.

They did stress the fact that it was still very early in development though many times which they didn't for their other games.

hiska-kun

According to GamesMaya Blog this week there's a Battle between Final Fantsay and Zelda. Both games are bought by adults, and there's some people who is buying both games. But there're also new gamers.

Ranking in this shop for the first day:

1. [3DS] The Legend of Zelda
2. [PS3] Final Fantasy X/X-2 HD
3. [PSV] Final Fantasy X/X-2 HD

Movement for hardware too.

Zee-Row

Banned
Wii U is 100k 2 weeks in a row? Thats pretty awesome for them. Hopefully it leads to something. I want JRPGs on the Wii U from 3rd partys.

Top Bottom