• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 51, 2016 (Dec 19 - Dec 25)

horuhe

Rakuten Books Sales Ranking (2016.12.30)

01./01. [3DS] Super Mario Maker for Nintendo 3DS <ACT> (Nintendo)
02./02. [3DS] Yo-Kai Watch 3: Sukiyaki <RPG> (Level 5)
03./03. [3DS] Momotaro Dentetsu 2017: Tachiagare Nippon!! <TBL> (Nintendo)
04./05. [3DS] Pokémon Sun <RPG> (Pokémon Co.)
05./04. [3DS] Pokémon Moon <RPG> (Pokémon Co.)
06./07. [3DS] Miitopia <SLG> (Nintendo)
07./08. [3DS] Mario Party: Star Rush <ETC> (Nintendo)
08./10. [WiiU] Minecraft: Wii U Edition <ADV> (Microsoft Game Studios)
09./06. [3DS] Sumikko Gurashi: Mura o Tsukurundesu <ETC> (Nippon Columbia)
10./12. [3DS] Animal Crossing: New Leaf - Welcome amiibo <ETC> (Nintendo)

Rakuten Books Pre-Orders Ranking (2016.12.30)

01./02. [PSV] New Danganronpa V3: Everyone&#8217;s New Semester of Killing <ADV> (Spike Chunsoft)
02./03. [PS4] Nier: Automata <RPG> (Square Enix)
03./01. [PS4] Resident Evil 7 (Grotesque Ver.) <ACT> (Capcom)
04./05. [3DS] Monster Hunter XX <ACT> (Capcom)
05./07. [PS4] Kingdom Hearts HD II.8 Final Chapter Prologue <RPG> (Square Enix)

----------

The last week of the year, and we should see consistent holds for most games.

Famicom Mini had been restocked on a weekly basis. It has been recommended, though, one unit per person. There are even other products related with Famicom Mini that are very popular.
O7jOwHF.jpg

l71cQj0.jpg

Stuff from Splatoon, Sumikko, Animal Crossing and Pokémon are one of the starts of this holiday season.

Wii U software is very popular as well. In fact, we can see here some games in bomba bins that hasn't anything to do with holidays as Xenoblade at 980yen or Genei Ibun Roku and StarFox Zero at 1980yen, or other kind of games as the Wii games of Momotetsu, very popular since February and now even more since the release of the 3DS game.

Jikkyou Powerful is being discounted at some stores already and Momotetsu is having some stock issues. New stock for GO Plus for January 14th at Sofmap.

That's not true.

XY sold 637.467 in December 2013 (4 weeks), while SM sold 669.051 this December (3 weeks) and there's still one week left.

Pokemon XY Sales
October 2013 - 2.731.470 (4 weeks)
November 2013 - 357.659 (4 weeks)
December 2013 - 637.467 (4 weeks)
January 2014: 199.013 (5 weeks)

Pokemon SM Sales
November 2016 - 2.509.329 (3 weeks)
December 2016 - 669.051 (3 weeks, one week remaining)

Week 2 2017 is the one that will tell us what kind of legs SM will have. XY collapsed to just 34k on week 2 2014.

Thanks for the info.

X/Y is still on bar with Sun and moon without december sales yet. I wonder if Sun and moon legs will catch up to that. will be really interesting to see if it will be able to surpass X/Y

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Media Create software sales
Code:
+----+------------+------------+------------+
|    |    2015    |    2016    |  2016-2015 |
| Q1 | 10.239.000 |  8.231.000 | -2.008.000 |
| Q2 |  5.920.000 |  5.569.000 |   -351.000 |
| Q3 |  6.707.000 |  4.408.000 | -2.299.000 |
| Q4 | 14.482.000 | 13.186.000 | -1.296.000 |

2016 has 52 weeks, 2015 has 53 weeks. Q1 2015 has an extra week (1.209.000 that are included in -2.008.000 difference).

Q4 2015 is complete but week 52 is missing from Q4 2016.

Last week of 2015 was 1.129.000. If software next week is >1.296.000 Q4 2016 will be better than 2015.

Q1 and especially Q3 were the big problems of 2016.

Kind of funny that we randomly bring up Itsuno and the next day he says that his next game is being announced this year

......wonder what Ito is up to at Square Enix?

noobie

Banned
[PS4] Kingdom Hearts HD 2.8 Final Chapter Prologue (18 days) - 225,000
[PSV - PS4] Danganronpa V3: Killing Harmony (18 days) - 104,000
[PS4] Gravity Rush 2 (11 days) - 55,000
[3DS] Poochy & Yoshi's Woolly World (11 days) - 40,000
[PS4 - PSV] Valkyria Revolution (11 days) - 67,000
[PS4] Resident Evil 7: biohazard (6 days) - 176,000

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I think DMC is plausible since it would cost way less to make than something like Dragon's Dogma, and it's a genre where there's barely any competition, so Capcom would probably feel they could carve out a couple million sales even if the game was somewhat questionable.

Oregano

I think DMC is plausible since it would cost way less to make than something like Dragon's Dogma, and it's a genre where there's barely any competition, so Capcom would probably feel they could carve out a couple million sales even if the game was somewhat questionable.

Looking at his credits it's the most reasonable choice. Dark Arisen did well on PC but I doubt it did well to justify a full blown sequel, especially a current gen one. Everything else is a guaranteed failure so it's either DMC5 or something new.

LordKano

I still expect Capcom to somehow fuck up Devil May Cry so badly that the franchise will be dead (again). Like they did or are doing with almost every one of their IPs.

I still expect Capcom to somehow fuck up Devil May Cry so badly that the franchise will be dead (again). Like they did or are doing with almost every one of their IPs.

Nah i think it will be fine. DMC use to have lots of competition like God of War, Bayonetta, Ninja Gaiden, etc. Now everyone has started moving to Souls like combat systems. DMC5 should have this entire genre basically to itself.

Nah i think it will be fine. DMC use to have lots of competition like God of War, Bayonetta, Ninja Gaiden, etc. Now everyone has started moving to Souls like combat systems. DMC5 should have this entire genre basically to itself.

The thing with Capcom is that they will still find a way to fuck it up lol.

DD not being on current gen consoles makes me wonder if there ever will be a sequel to it.

DMC is a lock to me. I think Deep Down has been completely revamped, new engine, now a $60 service game a la Division or Destiny. At least that's what I am hoping. Dragon's Dogma I could never get into.

It's a year and a half old. What'll really hurt is when FFXV hits that price in several more weeks.

You expect FF XV to be less than ¥1000 within January? That's a keen prediction.

A year and a half old doesn't necessarily mean that price anyway, does it? Loads of older games aren't close to that price when I look at them on amazon.jp, lol. I wish I could pick up Madoka Magicka for that price. You can, however, get bomba games like Exstetra for that price.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
To note, I used the phrase "Capcom would probably feel" to indicate that I don't necessarily agree that DMC5 would to do especially well.

Oftentimes the reason there's almost no games left in a genre is because not enough people were buying games in it to make it worthwhile.

I'm assuming this isn't a $15-$30 digital game also which is how some genres revive themselves.

Oregano

To note, I used the phrase "Capcom would probably feel" to indicate that I don't necessarily agree that DMC5 would to do especially well.

Oftentimes the reason there's almost no games left in a genre is because not enough people were buying games in it to make it worthwhile.

I'm assuming this isn't a $15-$30 digital game also which is how some genres revive themselves.

It'd definitely do better than a new Auto Modellista or Power Stone though.

It's either that or something new but I'm not sure what would match their core competencies. Then again Capcom couldn't make Lost Planet work...

I imagine if DMC5 is happening, which it probably is, it's probably only budgeted to to break even on 400-500k Japanese sales, since cuhrayzee action isn't massively popular this gen.

Oregano

I imagine if DMC5 is happening, which it probably is, it's probably only budgeted to to break even on 400-500k Japanese sales, since cuhrayzee action isn't massively popular this gen.

Probably not breaking even nowadays then...

EDIT: I actually have no idea how the other games sold in Japan anyway...

SS

ßig

Unconfirmed Member
[FCM] Super Mario Bros. - 6,810,000
[FDS] Super Mario Bros. 2 - 2,650,000
[FCM] Super Mario Bros. 3 - 3,840,000

[NDS] New Super Mario Bros. - 6,428,457
[3DS] New Super Mario Bros. 2 - 2,523,645

horuhe

It's a year and a half old. What'll really hurt is when FFXV hits that price in several more weeks.

In a couple of weeks, if you ask me...

You expect FF XV to be less than ¥1000 within January? That's a keen prediction.

1,000yen maybe not, but 2,000yen is perfectly possible around late January, when the PlayStation effect vanishes away.

Xenoblade was very frontloaded and overshipped. Around June 2015 (two months after the release), the game was at 1,080yen on Rakuten.

PREDICTION LEAGUE JANUARY 2017

Predict how much these titles will sell in the month (from Dec 26 to Jan 29):

[PS4] Kingdom Hearts HD 2.8 Final Chapter Prologue (18 days) - 110.000
[PSV - PS4] Danganronpa V3: Killing Harmony (18 days) - 100.000
[PS4] Gravity Rush 2 (11 days) - 65.000
[3DS] Poochy & Yoshi's Woolly World (11 days) - 120.000
[PS4 - PSV] Valkyria Revolution (11 days) - 60.000
[PS4] Resident Evil 7: biohazard (6 days) - 247.000

DKHF

Prediction League January 2017

[PS4] Kingdom Hearts HD 2.8 Final Chapter Prologue (18 days) - 131,364
[PSV - PS4] Danganronpa V3: Killing Harmony (18 days) - 125,467
[PS4] Gravity Rush 2 (11 days) - 63,623
[3DS] Poochy & Yoshi's Woolly World (11 days) - 51,616
[PS4 - PSV] Valkyria Revolution (11 days) - 56,373
[PS4] Resident Evil 7: biohazard (6 days) - 232,348

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I think if Capcom had went in on a Dragon's Dogma sequel at the $60-$80+ million budget level for early this generation, it would have had a reasonable shot at 5+ million success, but I totally understand why they wouldn't want to take that risk.

They really don't make much money at Capcom honestly, so that'd be hugely risky for them.

Oregano

I think if Capcom had went in on a Dragon's Dogma sequel at the $60-$80+ million budget level for early this generation, it would have had a reasonable shot at 5+ million success, but I totally understand why they wouldn't want to take that risk.

They really don't make much money at Capcom honestly, so that'd be hugely risky for them.

I imagine it would be an even tougher proposition for them considering the fact that the first game did most of its sales in Japan(until the PC release).

I imagine it would be an even tougher proposition for them considering the fact that the first game did most of its sales in Japan(until the PC release).
It did?

Dragon Dogma on PS3/X360 sold around 1.3 million. No digital version was released so that's it. Japan sales are around 687k.

Dragon Dogma: Dark Arisen on PS3/X360 including digital version has sold around 1.5 million. This doesn't count the PC version. Japan sales are around 210k.

http://www.capcom.co.jp/ir/english/finance/million.html

Combine both and we get around 2.8 million. The current PC sales on Steam Spy are around 640k.

So yeh, the initial sales might be higher in Japan but good WOM resulted in some nice legs for the game on the consoles.

Oregano

It did?

Dragon Dogma on PS3/X360 sold around 1.3 million. No digital version was released so that's it. Japan sales are around 687k.

Dragon Dogma: Dark Arisen on PS3/X360 including digital version has sold around 1.5 million. This doesn't count the PC version. Japan sales are around 210k.

http://www.capcom.co.jp/ir/english/finance/million.html

Combine both and we get around 2.8 million. The current PC sales on Steam Spy are around 640k.

So yeh, the initial sales might be higher in Japan but good WOM resulted in some nice legs for the game on the consoles.

Hmmm looks like Dark Arisen did a lot better in the west than the initial release then.

EDIT: I do feel the need to point out you can't just add them like that because you couldn't get the extra content without buying Dark Arisen so a good chunk of those people will be double dippers. Otherwise we'd saying Monster Hunter 4 sold over 8 million copies.

Hmmm looks like Dark Arisen did a lot better in the west than the initial release then.

EDIT: I do feel the need to point out you can't just add them like that because you couldn't get the extra content without buying Dark Arisen so a good chunk of those people will be double dippers. Otherwise we'd saying Monster Hunter 4 sold over 8 million copies.
There is a reason I listed them separately. Added them together to show the potential combined sales of the franchise as a whole, which is still low for an AAA budget RPG even if we take into consideration the PC version.

Capcom always combines them when they refer to their sales. The last PR update for the sold+shipped was around 2.3 million.

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/dragons-dogma-series-sales-reach-23-million-units/1100-6430483/

Right now, if we count the PC version, it is above 3.4 million.

Oregano

Cross-post from the Switch thread but according to NintendoEverything in this lengthy interview with Takayuki Kawasaki from Epic Games Japan he says a lot of Unreal Engine 4 games are in development for Switch, including already announced major releases. Thought it might be worth mentioning here, especially if someone could provide their own translation(including the rest of the interview).

Ōkami

YSO's predictions for the last holiday week have Super Mario Maker on 3DS above 100k.

Even if we see a 50% drop this week the game will be hitting a million during the first week of 2017.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Final week of holidays

Week 1, 2017 (Jan 2 - Jan 8)

new releases
---
___

YSO predictions

01. [3DS] Pokemon Sun / Moon < 180k (average 150k)
02. [3DS] Super Mario Maker for Nintendo 3DS < 170k (average 140k)
03. [3DS] Yo-Kai Watch 3: Sukiyaki < 100k (average 80k)

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Cross-post from the Switch thread but according to NintendoEverything in this lengthy interview with Takayuki Kawasaki from Epic Games Japan he says a lot of Unreal Engine 4 games are in development for Switch, including already announced major releases. Thought it might be worth mentioning here, especially if someone could provide their own translation(including the rest of the interview).

Quoting, because I'd like to see a human translation of the major tidbits from the interview as well. I think those could make a separate thread as well, possibly.

Quoting from the God Eater Project Thread. Although Rymuth says it's a home release we know that can be ambiguous.

Switch is a home console!

I'd say "no way they're throwing away the Vita audience" but Falcom did, so who knows *shrug*. Then again, God Eater was even more heavily weighted to Vita than Legend of Heroes was, so will be interesting to see what happens.

Oregano

Switch is a home console!

I'd say "no way they're throwing away the Vita audience" but Falcom did, so who knows *shrug*. Then again, God Eater was even more heavily weighted to Vita than Legend of Heroes was, so will be interesting to see what happens.

I think there's a good chance they do - but I also think it's a massive mistake if they do.

I don't think there's a big chance it will release on Switch either.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free

Already expected KH and DQXI - interested to see what else could show up on Switch.

Oregano

Already expected KH and DQXI - interested to see what else could show up on Switch.

Tekken is the most likely IMO. For a few reasons:

Harada's last four games have been Nintendo releases
Tekken 6 was ported to PSP and 3DS
When asked whether it was coming to Switch Harada gave a non-answer
The release date is being announced at an event this month

Ōkami

1. [3DS] Momotaro Dentetsu 2017: Tachiagare Nippon!! - 177
  2. [3DS] Super Mario Maker for Nintendo 3DS - 153
  3. [3DS] Yo-Kai Watch 3: Sukiyaki - 124
  4. [3DS] Pokemon Sun - 84
  5. [3DS] Pokemon Moon - 79
  6. [3DS] Mario Party: Star Rush - 66