• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 6, 2016 (Feb 08 - Feb 14)

Ryng_tolu

Banned
I'm impressed of Rainbow 6: Siege legs. Lifetime sales are already three times higher than first week. I guess that's good for The Division.
rainbow6_zpsrbmhwttc.jpg

I think The Division Will be interesting to see.

While WW i don't think it Will beat Watch_Dogs, i think in Japan it can.

Wow, Wii U fell off a cliff so bad. Nintendo has to knock it out of the park with NX.
SFV will probably help PS4 keep the momentum, but not exactly raise it or anything, we'll see come next week.
Wii U is having stock issues.

Yeah, I feel the same about SFV. I wouldn't expect a notable bump.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I'm curious to see how shooters in general do over the next few years now that so many more Japanese customers have been exposed to them.

I'm curious to see how shooters in general do over the next few years now that so many more Japanese customers have been exposed to them.

It seems that the audience is more or less the same - just spread more evenly across more titles. Remember that Call of Duty was doing 500k+ on PS3.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
It is doing good. Not an amazing success but certainly a good success. Absolutely better than the usual doom and gloom certain users were attaching to it before launch.

The question for DQB was and remains the strength of the legs it will show. If I start digging old threads I'll find many posts before its launch talking of how it would destroy Japan riding Minecraft success.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
#44 Call of Duty: Black Ops II - Subtitled Edition Square-Enix 2012/11/22 223.344 336.319 66,41%

I assume he's adding in the dubbed edition which did another 180K or so.

It seems that the audience is more or less the same - just spread more evenly across more titles. Remember that Call of Duty was doing 500k+ on PS3.
More specifically I mean I'm curious to see how the interaction between an aging Splatoon demographic and an increase in T-rated (as opposed to M-rated) Western shooters plays out as time goes on.

I'm also curious to see if more Japanese companies play their hand at the genre again.

NeonZ

SMT4 Final's sales potential is just somewhat limited by its very own nature. It's not just re-using assets of SMT4, it also builds up on it. You aren't just catering specifically to people who liked a game and want more of it, but the naming also implies that it's to a certain degree dependent on the knowledge acquired in the the previous game. Even if this isn't actually true, you will still have a lot of people who liked SMT4, but didn't finish it and thus think they should rather finish SMT4 first instead of buying SMT4 Final. After all, you might miss something otherwise.

If they had done something as big as adding 3d battles (and presumably scrapping the 2d sprite npcs too), I don't think they'd have connected it with SMTIV in the marketing in the first place. It could have been just "SMT Final" or some other subtitle if they didn't want to jump straight to "V" yet. And they'd certainly push the 3d stuff in the marketing, making it look very different visually from SMTIV.

As far as the game itself goes, it's a (kind of) direct sequel to the game, but from a completely different point of view (with the main character being from Tokyo rather than Mikado), and a couple of story points don't really line up that well (the Ashura Kai are still a strong faction here, while in SMTIV itself they're nothing after a certain point) so making it more standalone overall would be easy if it weren't for the heavy asset reuse.

#44 Call of Duty: Black Ops II - Subtitled Edition Square-Enix 2012/11/22 223.344 336.319 66,41%

If you add the Sub Edition and 360 version, Black Ops II sold 544.448 units. Black Ops and Modern Warfare 3 also crossed the 500k mark considering all versions, and Modern Warfare 2 got very close.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Gung-Ho is kind of an oddity. While Morishita had a really good idea for a mobile game, and had impeccable timing for releasing it, I think he's actually really bad at being a CEO.

With their vast influx of cash, Gung-Ho has bought a few deadweight studios like Grasshopper, released the same low budget, generally low quality dedicated device games they always have, and have had a very reserved title count in general in the mobile, online, and dedicated device spaces. None of these titles have been very impressively produced as well.

I don't see any signs that they're using their cash to entice high profile hitmakers or corporate managers to join their company and make new successful titles either, so it's unlikely that the quality or success rate of their new games is going to change either.

Pretty much everything they've done seems to follow in the fancy of whatever interests Morishita personally while spending as little cash as possible so they can coast indefinitely.

Comparing them to COLOPL, another huge-hit mobile company run by a notably young person, and they make serious efforts into launching as many successful games as possible. They have two top ten mega hits (in the monthly charts) and a bunch of other strong titles throughout the top 100. That's a company that will probably stick around as a notable player while Gung-Ho fades out within the next couple of years.
I dont know if its financially feasibly, but when you have such a large playerbase why dont they try out more lock.in measures to bind gamers more to their products ? Especially if rewards and achievements between different games could be used as incentive to try out new stuff by said companies on different platforms. Isnt that necessary what Level 5 is doing with their Level 5 ID between all their games ?

It feels like they are scared to grow in a meaningful way, cant really fault them because they are still making their hundred millions USD every year by running a relatively low effort mobile game. The upcoming PaDZ 3DS game and anime are more or less marketing efforts for the mobile game, which is fine but they have nothing in plan to grow further in the next years.

I feel that some of the newer popular games could have been Gung-Ho produced titles if they would embrace the market possibilities the same way Square Enix does it right now. Gung-Ho must be scared that whatever big game they push might threaten their own golden cow and splitting their userbase/income between multiple games without resulting in higher total revenue.

This would be less frustrating if they would at least faster improve their western efforts. PaD still isnt available on the European Google Play Stores...i mean really ?

Edit:

btw. How are Level 5 latest mobile endeavors working out for them ? Did we ever heard how many registered Level 5 ID user they at this point ?

The question for DQB was and remains the strength of the legs it will show. If I start digging old threads I'll find many posts before its launch talking of how it would destroy Japan riding Minecraft success.
I'm sure we could both find posts supporting our points.

As far as legs, wasn't that stemming from the notion that it wouldn't do so hot opening week and thus would need good/great legs? I don't think legs are that important now considering what it has opened with. Surely, selling as much as it has at that expensive price is a success, yeah?

The question for DQB was and remains the strength of the legs it will show. If I start digging old threads I'll find many posts before its launci talking of how it would destroy Japan riding Minecraft success.

And looking at the sales after 3 weeks, I don't change my opinion about the "doom & gloom made by some users": it's just repeating the same trend every DQ spin-off has, can't see how it could sell as Minecraft (it's almost one year in the chart, if anyone noticed) or stealing sales to Minecraft, considering the latter has increased its weekly sales since DQB arrived.

300k on Vita are still a reachable target, in the same way Mario Tennis can reach 200k if keeps selling as usually Nintendo games sells (I mean a 30% tie-ratio compared to first week)

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I dont know if its financially feasibly, but when you have such a large playerbase why dont they try out more lock.in measures to bind gamers more to their products ? Especially if rewards and achievements between different games could be used as incentive to try out new stuff by said companies on different platforms. Isnt that necessary what Level 5 is doing with their Level 5 ID between all their games ?

It feels like they are scared to grow in a meaningful way, cant really fault them because they are still making their hundred millions USD every year by running a relatively low effort mobile game. The upcoming PaDZ 3DS game and anime are more or less marketing efforts for the mobile game, which is fine but they have nothing in plan to grow further in the next years.

I feel that some of the newer popular games could have been Gung-Ho produced titles if they would embrace the market possibilities the same way Square Enix does it right now. Gung-Ho must be scared that whatever big game they push might threaten their own golden cow and splitting their userbase/income between multiple games without resulting in higher total revenue.

This would be less frustrating if they would at least faster improve their western efforts. PaD still isnt available on the European Google Play Stores...i mean really ?
I think Apple nailed this issue pretty well:

In response to a question asked during Apple's Q1 2013 conference call, Tim Cook once again re-iterated Apple's long-held belief that they'd rather cannibalize their own existing product lines with new product lines than risk a competitor eating into their business. The only twist to the repartee this time was the iPad mini, and what if any affect it might have had on full-sized iPad sales.

http://www.imore.com/shocker-apple-still-doesnt-care-if-they-cannibalize-their-own-products

Smart companies would rather own the new hotness even if it hurts the current hotness, because it's endlessly better than someone else doing so.

Sega actually handled this pretty well with Hortensia Saga and Chain Chronicle. Hortensia did have a pretty clear impact on the latter when it came out, but they still made more money overall and Chain Chronicle is still a 500+ million yen a month title.

Similarly it seems like Final Fantasy: Brave Exvius is starting to impact Final Fantasy: Record Keeper, but again, this is a winning scenario overall.

Edit:

btw. How are Level 5 latest mobile endeavors working out for them ? Did we ever heard how many registered Level 5 ID user they at this point ?
Yo-Kai Watch Puni Puni does quite well, whereas everything else they've released either makes no money or has been shut down (with Wonder Flick being the most egregious failure).

Now, for a few of those titles they don't actually have monetization (i.e. the marketing apps like Yo-Kai Watch dancing or etc), but overall it's been a long and hard road.

The real test though will be with Snack World and Layton 7. I think Puni-Puni is the only game that's come out since their mobile division reboot.

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
That PS4 hold is certainly promising and a step up from the sometimes 5k appearances last year. Would not have expected Valkyria Chronicles remastered to have a better debut then the PS4 version of the FFX/FFX-2 Remaster though. I was certainly wrong, which is good because 15k...is not.

To be in a trajectory of equaling or better than PS3's all time sales. However, that doesn't look likely with the way the market is in Japan. :\
Isn't it ever so slightly above PS3 now? I am not completely sure about that though.

Granted, just being slightly up isn't anything to hoot and holler about.

And looking at the sales after 3 weeks, I don't change my opinion about the "doom & gloom made by some users": it's just repeating the same trend every DQ spin-off has, can't see how it could sell as Minecraft (it's almost one year in the chart, if anyone noticed) or stealing sales to Minecraft, considering the latter has increased its weekly sales since DQB arrived.

300k on Vita are still a reachable target, in the same way Mario Tennis can reach 200k if keeps selling as usually Nintendo games sells (I mean a 30% tie-ratio compared to first week)
By "doom and gloom" I meant those suggesting it would not open good nor would it have good legs. Or are you saying the results are still poor because it could not match or surpass Minecraft?

Vena

Isn't it ever so slightly above PS3 now? I am not completely sure about that though.

Granted, just being slightly up isn't anything to hoot and holler about.

PS3 was on market for a decade to reach its LTD, PS4 won't be so its not on track to ever reach even close to the PS3's LTD. I think his point is that its lagging just as much as the PS3 was lagging, and this time around it doesn't cost three houses nor have a mega-competitor.

duckroll

I wonder what's going on with Snack World. Maybe Level5 found that their focus test audiences weren't so.... hungry.... for it after all?

...I'll see myself out.

PS3 was on market for a decade to reach its LTD, PS4 won't be so its not on track to ever reach even close to the PS3's LTD. I think his point is that its lagging just as much as the PS3 was lagging, and this time around it doesn't cost three houses nor have a mega-competitor.
Sure, but the market decline is a huge factor this generation as well. If the market was similar to last generation, it would certainly be horrible but I think it should be looked at as what the PS4 (or any system out now or coming later) can do despite the conditions rather than what they should be doing based on performance of previous systems under different market conditions.

You're right, the PS4 crossed streams with the PS3 in Japan very recently.
Thanks!

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I wonder what's going on with Snack World. Maybe Level5 found that their focus test audiences weren't so.... hungry.... for it after all?

...I'll see myself out.

I suspect it's in the part of the Level 5 lifecycle where it mysteriously disappears for a while.

omonimo

Banned
Are those considered good sales for Dragon Quest Builders? It's over half a million in Japan, and I can see it selling 750K in Japan. What's the general consensus?

Looking at PS4 hardware numbers as usual gives me the same reaction
giphy.gif
I mean, seriously? It's really a good number considered the week release. The problem it's if it can resist along there looking to the state of the home console in Japan.

Mario007

I mean, seriously? It's really a good number considered the week release. The problem it's if it can resist along there looking to the state of the home console in Japan.
To be fair ps4 had really no notable release this week. Last week the most notable releasr did 60k. Its not like we're tslking about the baseline being inflated because ffxv released last week.

Nyoro SF

Valkyria Remaster hitting 25k-ish. So my prediction of 30k, and that other guy's prediction of 20k, was just about right on average lol. Selling 60-80% of its shipment too...

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
For PS4 I need to check again software releases since this and last year every important publisher and franchise with the exception of DQXI wilk be already on board, unlike PS3 that had a slow transition for several reasons. But I don't think I need to change the 8m ceiling I had before it launced, for both Sony systems.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
In all honesty I'm curious if they reconsidered due to the negative reaction and the fact Fantasy Life shipped over a million worldwide.

It still has a notable spot on their home page and the website is still up: http://www.fantasylife.jp/fl2/

I think they're just not ready to show it again yet. None of their games except for Yokai Watch: Romance of the Three Kingdoms is being shown off right now.

The Snack World looked notably farthest in the development cycle with respect to other Level-5 games which disappeared for a while. Both 3DS and mobile versions were playable and the former was also nice (the latter crashed on stage). It might be that Level-5 is carefully considering how to launch the game, i.e. Whether to plan a NX port from the start if the platform is launching this year, or whether to consider a more homogenous worldwide launch (the game already got a trailer for Western countries). Anyway, the game is still far away because YW3 is a Summer release a Level-5 probably wants to maximize YW exposure first. The Snack World can launch at the end of the year at this point so the media absence can make sense.

Sakura

SMTIV-F's sales seem pretty normal for what it is.
Valkyria Chronicles did somewhat higher than I expected. I was thinking more 15~k.

Oregano

It still has a notable spot on their home page and the website is still up: http://www.fantasylife.jp/fl2/

I think they're just not ready to show it again yet. None of their games except for Yokai Watch: Romance of the Three Kingdoms is being shown off right now.

Fantasy Life 2 was at Nico Nico Tokaigi last month: http://www.4gamer.net/games/294/G029473/20160130009/

Ahh thanks. Seems they're just being slow then, wasn't it supposed to have launched by now?

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Ahh thanks. Seems they're just being slow then, wasn't it supposed to have launched by now?

I guess my feeling is that it's not a weird or unexpected thing for a game to get delayed these days.

Level 5 is also a company known for lengthy delays.

Top Bottom