• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 7, 2012 (Feb 13 - Feb 19)

James Sawyer Ford

Gold Member
True, but Sony could have tried much harder to change that; they could have shifted internal Western resources away from Vita spinoffs of only modestly popular PS3 IPs and towards new IP, and (perhaps even more importantly) they could have significantly expanded first-party Japanese development. They haven't done either, evidently.

Having established IP at launch is important though. It's a good chance to show off the platform, and also offer something of a known quantity in order to attract buyers of the system.

Uncharted is one of the better franchises for Sony to launch the Vita with since the series is a multi million seller globally, and also a good showcase for the hardware. Problem is that after the launch period, they're going to need different sorts of blockbuster IPs to embrace the gamers that aren't necessarily into the big established Sony franchises.

Sony will attract its hardcore fanbase with some of their IP initially, but to entice new buyers of the Vita they will need to branch out with some new IP. So hopefully in the years that follow we will see exactly that.

Also, they have shifted western development, from a very important studio of theirs -- Media Molecule. Very interested in seeing what they come up with for the Vita.

Significantly beefing up Japanese efforts is another tricky one. It could help out in Japan, but have little effect globally. Sony has invested more into western studios because they've been much better performers this past generation and cater to a much bigger market.

test_account

XP-39C²
No online competitive mode in Modnation Racers blows my mind.

You've got a new handheld with 3G and Wi-Fi connectivity, and you leave the biggest selling point out? Why bother?
The reason given for this was that the PSP version hardly had any players online.

It is a pity though, i would have bought the Vita version if it had online. I love the PS3 version online.

Talwind

To be fair Nintendo also senselessly omitted online from Star Fox 64 3D.

I guess you could blame them if that Star Fox was brand new game but Star Fox 64 never had online in the first place, its just a remake. The new Mario Tennis is the next entry of the series.

The problem with Modnation is that they are making a new sequel with stripped down and removed features of the previous game. Why are they doing that?

I guess you could blame them if that Star Fox was brand new game but Star Fox 64 never had online in the first place, its just a remake. The new Mario Tennis is the next entry of the series.

The problem with Modnation is that they are making a new sequel with stripped down and removed features of the previous game. Why are they doing that?
SF643D's multiplayer mode wasn't remade from the N64 version, it's in fact brand new.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Media Create 2012 seminar. 3G Vita has slowed down drastically after December.

u9nlw.jpg

http://www.m-create.com/pdf/2012seminor_ver2.pdf

Grimmy

Banned
LocoRoco declined a lot from the first to the second one, and the third one was only released digitally. So I don't think it could help in any way.
Patapon, instead, grew entry after entry, but I think it has more with the activity of PSP userbase.

The 3rd LocoRoco isn't a full game like 1 & 2 though. I'm hoping that Sony will make a REAL LocoRoco 3, with gyro support.

SCEI managed to kill Minna no Golf 6, I wouldn't hold my breath for Patapon and LocoRoco.

Better work will be done with new IPs that show system's power. Gravity Rush is a good start.

Patapon 3 was quite a good seller - around 150,000 in Japan if I recall. Doesn't make sense to abandon it now. Patapon 4 I'm sure will do decently. Not a system seller, but a welcomed entry nonetheless.

If you really wanna compare Patapon to Gravity Rush, well Patapon 3 so far has sold 3x of Gravity Rush. Unless GR has huge legs, it's not going to be even close. I think that says everything.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
If you really wanna compare Patapon to Gravity Rush, well Patapon 3 so far has sold 3x of Gravity Rush. Unless GR has huge legs, it's not going to be even close. I think that says everything.

3x (for now) on PSP. The question is how much it would sell on Vita.

Grimmy

Banned
3x (for now) on PSP. The question is how much it would sell on Vita.

Come on, it's one of SCEJ's IPs that they didn't completely ruin. Why are you against it having a sequel on the Vita? It's not like the game is a huge investment for Sony. If it can sell 1/2 of its Patapon 3 sales then to me it's not a bad thing. Personally I'd get it.

I look at the sales and the further dive the newer entry has

1. Vita 3G, Vita Wi-Fi, PSP sales the first 8 weeks at 10k scale

2. Male/Female break

3. (Male+Female) age break

So the 3g model did a lot better week 1 than I thought but basically hasn't sold anything since

guek

Banned
3DS 94.667
NDS 1.557

Pokemon Black 2/Pokemon White 2....

NDS

I just don't understand.

I wouldn't get too worked up over it. From my perspective, it changes very little. I had no hopes for a gen 6 pokemon until 2013 at the earliest. We can be sure that they're currently working on a 3DS mainline pokemon game, B&W2 just isn't it.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
If that was the case, Skyward Sword wouldn't have bombed as badly as it did, since the Wii has a 12m install base. DS has lost its appeal. The crown belongs to 3DS now.

They want the first Pokémon 3DS game to cause a huge impression, and they aren't ready for that yet, so they're going to keep going with the DS for a little while longer.

It's really not that hard to understand.

3DS 94.667
NDS 1.557

NDS

I just don't understand.

it's actually better for Nintendo if you think about a couple of things

1) B/W2 won't cost shit to develop
2) the 3DS is backwards compatible
3) get some DS sales while they're at it
4) develop a proper 3DS Pokemon while people are busy playing BW2
5) use class 5 Iveco roadtrains to deliver the money at Iwata's mansion

AntMurda

3DS 94.667
NDS 1.557

NDS

I just don't understand.

Do you actually care? Do you play Pokemon games? I surely don't. Just wait till next Spring for Pokemon 3D. The 3DS has enough big software coming this year.

If that was the case, Skyward Sword wouldn't have bombed as badly as it did, since the Wii has a 12m install base. DS has lost its appeal. The crown belongs to 3DS now.
Skyward Sword tanked, yet other Wii games like Kirby or Just Dance still did great on Wii this year. Installed base still counts for something.

As much as I hate to say it (cause I love Zelda) but Pokemon > Zelda in terms of popularity and marketability. Just look at how many people bought the iOS Pokemon Yellow scam. Nintendo could probably announce a brand new pokemon game for the GBA and it'd sell several million units <_<

AntMurda

As much as I hate to say it (cause I love Zelda) but Pokemon > Zelda in terms of popularity and marketability. Just look at how many people bought the iOS Pokemon Yellow scam. Nintendo could probably announce a brand new pokemon game for the GBA and it'd sell several million units <_<

Zelda has an overall bigger demographic. Pokemon just has an insane harcore userbase. But Zelda sells BIG world wide and much more marketable to a variant demographic.

But. Again. People mistake something here. Complex 3D games sell significantly less in Japan. Significantly.

Compare.

Pokemon Coloseum ----> Pokemon Color
Super Mario Galaxy -----> New Super Mario Wii
The Legend of Zelda: TP ---------> The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass

Not rocket science.

Zelda has an overall bigger demographic. Pokemon just has an insane harcore userbase. But Zelda sells BIG world wide and much more marketable to a variant demographic.

But. Again. People mistake something here. Complex 3D games sell significantly less in Japan. Significantly.

Compare.

Not rocket science.
Uh...

1. The hardcore fanbase of Pokemon is bigger than the whole fanbase of Zelda.
2. Whats complex 3D suppose to mean? Twilight princess is more "complex 3D" than PH, why does it outsell it? Why does OOT 3D sell more than Skyword Sword? Its more than simply saying complex 3D is the reason.

Yes its not rocket science. Pokemon > Zelda in every way.

What does this even mean? Particularly to the sales of both.

A Pokemon game on the 3DS likely won't change perspective or even complexity, just graphical fidelity. Game Freak hasn't changed anything of that degree yet and they probably won't unless they have to.

Pokemon Colosseum didn't sell as well because it was, relative to the rest of the series, a content-lacking spin off with weird mechanics.

jman2050

Woah, hold on. Not only is that entire sentence completely untrue, I can't fathom the logical thought process that would have to occur short of complete and total ignorance of anything video game related to even come close to making a statement like this.

In short, what the heck dude?

AntMurda

Woah, hold on. Not only is that entire sentence completely untrue, I can't fathom the logical thought process that would have to occur short of complete and total ignorance of anything video game related to even come close to making a statement like this.

In short, what the heck dude?

How many 30 year olds do you know play Pokemon? It is not ignorant. Zelda is a much older series and isn't co-morbid with a weekday morning cartoon.

udivision

Please, elaborate. Elaborate on how Zelda is more marketable than Pokemon, and how it sells "BIG" compared to Pokemon.

Alrus

Compare.

Not rocket science.

A mainline Pokemon game sells between 15-20 million worldwide.

A mainline Zelda game sells between 3 and 8 millions ww.

What are you talking about?

Also, your examples are awful, with the exception of TP. Nsmb sold better than the Galaxy games everywhere. And you're comparing a spin-off to a mainline title for Pokemon... You're also completely ignoring franchises such as Dragon Quest, Monster Hunter and Final Fantasy...

How many 30 year olds do you know play Pokemon? It is not ignorant. Zelda is a much older series and isn't co-morbid with a weekday morning cartoon.

How many Zelda games have sold as much as Pokemon Black and White? The merchandising aside, Pokemon sells so much more than Zelda it's not even funny.

Besides, what proof do you have of the markets and demographics that Zelda sells to a wider audience? You can't extrapolate "30 year olds I know" and "there's a cartoon" into "Pokemon sells to a smaller demographic than Zelda," especially when the difference in sales is in magnitudes.

This thread suddenly became interesting.

I was wondering when somebody was going to say something crazy. We haven't had anything for a while now.

Monster Hunter is a "3D" game. I guess 2D Monster Hunter will take Japan.

Its like saying MH is limited in demography because it only sells to people in their 20s-30s.

AntMurda

Demographic and world wide sales are different categories. Demographics mean different discernable caterogies. In this case you have a series that has existed since 1986 and has been around longer to culvitate a much more variant age group.

If you think a game from 1996 heavily marketed with a childrens cartoon serves as a bigger demographic then.. well you are entitled to your own definition.

Zelda sells big world wide. That's what I said. Not sells more. Main entry Pokemon games (which basically sell twice over anyway with two skus) can outsell it at easy.

All you Pokeholics can relax now and go to bed. Let the grown folk talk about the good old days and mature stuff.

Demographic and world wide sales are different categories. Demographics mean different discernable caterogies. In this case you have a series that has existed since 1986 and has been around longer to culvitate a much more variant age group.

If you think a game from 1996 heavily marketed with a childrens cartoon serves as a bigger demographic then.. well you are entitled to your own definition.

Zelda sells big world wide. That's what I said. Not sells more. Main entry Pokemon games (which basically sell twice over anyway with two skus) can outsell it at easy.

All you Pokeholics can relax now and go to bed. Let the grown folk talk about the good old days and mature stuff.
Pokemon sell to more than just children, much more. If you think Zelda's fanbase is more varied due to how old it is, you're dillusional. Its not like Pokemon just came out last year.

Whats even more funny is that Zelda even had its own cartoon series. Did you know that?

Ha! After saying Pokemon only appeals to children. Golden

Just because it's been around longer doesn't mean it sells to a wider variety of people. That's preposterous. This is a huge assumption.

Again, "it has a cartoon" is not an argument. Where is your proof? Where is your demographic studies?

Then what was the point you were trying to make at all?

Or perhaps you would be simply making things up and people are calling you out on it. Perhaps you could drop being condescending toward the people telling you to back up your nonsense with facts, and drop the assumed pretense of fanboys defending their game.

You are not even reading my posts at this point. Matter of fact. You are coming to some inherent conclusions there. Just let the Pokemon defense force rest. I'm quite neutral on the subject.

My experience is with Zelda. Not with Pokemon.

You won't get far dismissing your opponents with a fanboy accusation. You've already been painted as a fool who can't back up his claims, and you're only digging a deeper ditch.

AntMurda

Pokemon sell to more than just children, much more. If you think Zelda's fanbase is more varied due to how old it is, you're dillusional. Its not like Pokemon just came out either.

You are not even reading my posts at this point. Matter of fact. You are coming to some inherent conclusions there. Just let the Pokemon defense force rest. I'm quite neutral on the subject.

Then what was the point you were trying to make at all?

It is in the post! My argument is 3D versus 2D sales in Japan. It is clearly stated as the thesis.

Another nonsensical post, awesome.

Why you talking about Pokemon if you're experience is with Zelda? You can't talk about something that you don't even understand.

I think you should let the Zelda defense force rest, its you being bias towards it despite the all the facts against it.

Top Bottom