• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 7, 2012 (Feb 13 - Feb 19)

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
I would think B/W2 is pretty much evidence that there is to be a 3DS game later this year.
Otherwise why release this on DS? Obviously they don't want to go through the costs etc.

And Pokemon Grey 3DS will come out for the Christmas market :)

Not a chance. 3DS schedule is already stuffed and December will be Mario's time.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Actually, I think a Pokèmon spin-off, better for sales potential than Super Pokèmon Scramble, can come out in the last months of the year, since B&W2 comes in June.

Mr Swine

Banned
Actually, I think a Pokèmon spin-off, better for sales potential than Super Pokèmon Scramble, can come out in the last months of the year, since B&W2 comes in June.

Pokemon Stadium 3DS would be perfect for the 3DS if it ever comes!

I think Animal Crossing will slip in somewhere in Q4, maybe December (I think Wild World may have released around December on DS).

3ds should be approaching 10 million by December, if there was room for 3 massive releases last xmas there'll be at least room for 4 maybe even 5 massive releases this xmas

Pokemon Stadium 3DS would be perfect for the 3DS if it ever comes!

The problem with a Pokemon Stadium would be that it:

1) Takes away battle development from the real Pokemon Next
2) Would require some manner of Black/White monster importing, which is murky technical business
3) Was always focused on the N64 as a game you play with your friends instead of playing on your Game Boys. Easier to play on the TV than your portables. Putting Stadium on a 3DS would defeat the purpose.

It would be a cool thing to drum up excitement for the battles in 3D, but I think Nintendo would rather pour their assets into an entirely different project, like Pokemon Snap or another Mystery Dungeon. I expect to see something similar by the end of the year for Japan, but Stadium would be a stretch.

And it's not like Pokemon Next actually needs a build-up.

3ds should be approaching 10 million by December, if there was room for 3 massive releases last xmas there'll be at least room for 4 maybe even 5 massive releases this xmas

So that's
Mario 2d in 3d
Animal crossing
Pokemon whatever
And one or two big third party games

Edit - that was supposed to be edited into my post not quoting myself, I really am a dickhead sometimes

Do we actually have any real idea of the 3ds xmas schedule apart from a reasonable guess 2d Mario will be coming out then

Paper Mario, Animal Crossing, and possibly a new 2D Mario are what is being speculated. We probably won't get a firm release date for these titles in Japan until the fall Nintendo Direct stream. US release dates we'll probably get at E3.

Paper Mario, Animal Crossing, and possibly a new 2D Mario are what is being speculated. We probably won't get a firm release date for these titles in Japan until the fall Nintendo Direct stream. US release dates we'll probably get at E3.

I'd guess on paper Mario much sooner especially if 2d Mario is xmas, probably a summer release

I can't see it coming that soon, considering how little info we have on it. September is the earliest I see it coming out, probably more like October or November.

So that's
Mario 2d in 3d
Animal crossing
Pokemon whatever

Edit - that was supposed to be edited into my post not quoting myself, I really am a dickhead sometimes

Remember that Nintendo will also have Wii U.
Two big Nintendo games on 3DS (let's say, Mario 2D and Animal Crossing) could be enough, with all the stuffs keep on selling (Mario Kart, Oni Training from Summer), and then third party games (PLvsAA, DQM, etc.).

Nekki

*Wakes up, makes some coffee
*Drinks said coffee

"Let's see what sales-age is discussing today"

"Oh neat Zelda discussion"

Wait wha--!? When was B&W2 announced!?!? Holy!!! This is some huge news, happy about it :D

Also since we're on topic, I see a lot of people hyped for a 3DS Pokemon game, and, seeing the models of Pokedex 3D i can't say i wouldn't love it!

But as i think this a question arises. What if a change in the visual design of the game causes it to lose sales? Or let me phrase it in a manner that doesn't sound confusing... What if the art style change turns the main demographic off? The 2D art surely had some charm and appeal. I'm not saying it will go from being a 5m+ franchise to a 2m franchise of course, just that it may bring a drop?

I wonder what kind of changes a 3DS entry might bring, other than the obvious visual upgrade.

But as i think this a question arises. What if a change in the visual design of the game causes it to lose sales? Or let me phrase it in a manner that doesn't sound confusing... What if the art style change turns the main demographic off? The 2D art surely had some charm and appeal. I'm not saying it will go from being a 5m+ franchise to a 2m franchise of course, just that it may bring a drop?

I wonder what kind of changes a 3DS entry might bring, other than the obvious visual upgrade.

Pokemon's closest relative, Dragon Quest, did not suffer for the change into 3D. The graphics design, unless truly atrocious, won't affect the series negatively in any meaningful capacity. It might even get old fans back into the fray.

And as for what changes we'll see, I'm expecting a wide variety of integration into the 3DS, with spot and street pass, both of which are things Game Freak has been trying to do something like since the Gold and Silver era. Mystery Gift, E-Reader events, the Pokewalker, time sensitive events, and so on. So those will light more than a few fires.

I don't think Pokemon 3DS has anything to worry about.

Pokemon's closest relative, Dragon Quest, did not suffer for the change into 3D. The graphics design, unless truly atrocious, won't affect the series negatively in any meaningful capacity. It might even get old fans back into the fray.

And as for what changes we'll see, I'm expecting a wide variety of integration into the 3DS, with spot and street pass, both of which are things Game Freak has been trying to do something like since the Gold and Silver era. Mystery Gift, E-Reader events, the Pokewalker, time sensitive events, and so on. So those will light more than a few fires.

I don't think Pokemon 3DS has anything to worry about.

A fully 3D Pokemon on the 3DS that looks similar (if not better) to Terry's World would get me to buy a Pokemon game for the first time since Blue. That's for sure.

So that's
Mario 2d in 3d
Animal crossing
Pokemon whatever

Now that the new pokemon mainline game is going to be for DS, maybe the 3DS will get Pokemon Stadium? That franchise is probably the most popular non-mainline pokemon franchise..and they already have the models made from Pokedex 3D

Now that the new pokemon mainline game is going to be for DS, maybe the 3DS will get Pokemon Stadium? That franchise is probably the most popular non-mainline pokemon franchise..and they already have the models made from Pokedex 3D

Seriously there is no way stadium will be a 3ds game, though I'd be pretty sure at least in japan a stadium style game will be a launch title for Wiiu

Seriously there is no way stadium will be a 3ds game, though I'd be pretty sure at least in japan a stadium style game will be a launch title for Wiiu

I really think they should wait for WiiU and gen 6 to be out before making a new Pokemon Stadium style game. That way it would be completely compatible with the 3DS (assuming gen 6 is a 3DS exclusive) and we'd have access to every single pokemon and form. And if we got revisions we could simply have the new forms patched in.

extralite

That's why I said perceived accessibility barrier. It doesn't matter if someone is actually difficult, just if people feel it is.
But why would anyone feel that it's difficult? You need to have a reason to perceive it that way and I just don't see where it would come from.
Perhaps, but if that type of gamer isn't on the platform anymore, and it had a notable crossover with the Zelda audience, then that would correlate well to why this type of game now sells less.
They never were on the platform. And they wouldn't have a meaningful crossover as Zelda doesn't serve those expectations.

I feel Kirby appeals a lot better to kids and casual audiences without ever seeming intimidating. I mean, you play a happy pink ball in a 2D platformer instead of a guy with a sword in a 3D world.
I agree with this but it wasn't part of your original explanation I think. As for multiplayer, you specifically referred to that aspect to drive sales by requiring friends to play the game with you. That isn't the case for Kirby even though it has two-player modes.

As for why the other Zelda sold better, I would refer to your previous quote again, and note that there was likely a core gamer sect that picked up the console at launch, but no longer uses it, and didn't feel Skyward Sword looked compelling enough to go hook up their Wii again/buy more games for it.
I meant handheld ones, TP isn't exactly recent and sold also bad compared to the handheld ones.

Edit: As for the commercial you're describing, I agree this indicates that there is an audience of older Zelda fans worth targetting with ads but it doesn't necessarily mean that kids aren't part of the target group as well.

And since SS was very high in Famitsu's best Nintendo games ever chart it also found a receptive mature audience in Japan that valued the game. Still no explanation why it sold so bad there in comparison to the US.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Sorry to be late to the party, but were you asking about the next prediction games? If there's only the One Piece Musou game I'd skip this week predictions tbh.

NO, YOU NEED TO TELL US THE FUTURE AS YOU DID WITH B&W2!!! COME ONN!!!!!!!!!!!!

:p

For the Prediction Bets, I agree with you.

Road

Being serious, I guess the next prediction, then, could be the week after, with MGS3D, SFxTK, Miku, Gundam and whatnot. Let me know how this feels in the next MC thread. And thanks for all the input.

duckroll

Being serious, I guess the next prediction, then, could be the week after, with MGS3D, SFxTK, Miku, Gundam and whatnot. Let me know how this feels in the next MC thread. And thanks for all the input.

Your work on taking over the predictions is very much appreciated. :D

There's also Girl's RPG but I don't know whether it's going to break the Top20. Actually, numbers are lower and if even Good People Die was able to enter last week, why not this game.

For the big Q4 3DS Megasellers, I'm thinking:

New Super Mario Bros.
Animal Crossing
Monster Hunter 4
Dragon Quest VII

And Pokemon Grey 3DS will come out for the Christmas market :)
I think BW2 is probably replacing any Grey release basically. Next Pokémon will be a Gen VI set on 3DS.

Road

There's also Girl's RPG but I don't know whether it's going to break the Top20. Actually, numbers are lower and if even Good People Die was able to enter last week, why not this game.
We could. I just listed games I knew off the top of my head.

Your work on taking over the predictions is very much appreciated. :D
You're welcome. It seems deciding what to predict is harder than tallying the results.

Might be the worst post in a MC thread since Charlequin* said the Pokemon B&W 2 rumor was the worst rumor ever on GAF.

Six years on GAF and I still haven't learned that the pretty dumb rumors are usually false... but the absolute stupidest rumors are always true!

I still maintain that releasing a new Pokemon game on DS at this stage is extraordinarily foolish. Regardless of how well it sells in units, it's not doing the job of moving 3DS units and it's punting on the single most relevant franchise to drive US sales for another 2-3 years. Whatever criticisms people offered up of Sony releasing God of War 2 on PS2 a whole year into the PS3's lifespan have to apply double to this.

duckroll

In general don't we simply ignore predictions for a game which doesn't end up charting? There's no harm having a bit more in the selection if there's an interesting range of titles which people are interested in.

In general don't we simply ignore predictions for a game which doesn't end up charting? There's no harm having a bit more in the selection if there's an interesting range of titles which people are interested in.

If you say so (honestly, I don't remember how it works properly), I don't see any problem in including next Level-5's bomb!

For the big Q4 3DS Megasellers, I'm thinking:

New Super Mario Bros.
Animal Crossing
Monster Hunter 4
Dragon Quest VII

No way.
Capcom is starting to release DLC for MH3G, and I expect a budget release around September for that. I see more likely a Vita entry.
For the second one, usually, I think it's too early, DQM remake still has no a release date, moreover Dragon Quest VII won't really need Christmas season to sell well.

duckroll

Six years on GAF and I still haven't learned that the pretty dumb rumors are usually false... but the absolute stupidest rumors are always true!

I still maintain that releasing a new Pokemon game on DS at this stage is extraordinarily foolish. Regardless of how well it sells in units, it's not doing the job of moving 3DS units and it's punting on the single most relevant franchise to drive US sales for another 2-3 years. Whatever criticisms people offered up of Sony releasing God of War 2 on PS2 a whole year into the PS3's lifespan have to apply double to this.

With every rumor you should ask yourself "why would anyone make up something like this?". If you can come up with a good reason why someone would make it up, it might be fake. If you can't think of any logical reason why anyone would want to make something like that up, it could be true!

No way.
Capcom is starting to release DLC for MH3G, and I expect a budget release around September for that. I see more likely a Vita entry.
For the second one, usually, I think it's too early, DQM remake still has no a release date, moreover Dragon Quest VII won't really need Christmas season to sell well.
Tri G will get a best reprint this fall, followed by MH4 this winter. Q1 2013 is the latest I think we'll see MH4, any Vita MH anytime soon is a pipedream.

DQMr is a "summer" release iirc. DQ7r this year might be too soon, but they're different series from different teams, so I could still see it.

Tri G will get a best reprint this fall, followed by MH4 this winter. Q1 2013 is the latest I think we'll see MH4, any Vita MH anytime soon is a pipedream.

DQMr is a "summer" release iirc. DQ7r this year might be too soon, but they're different series from different teams, so I could still see it.

Remember that MH4 trailer we got during Nintendo conference last September was nothing more than a tech demo on which Capcom worked for a few weeks. I don't think production is anywhere close to completion, but I could be wrong. MH3G is still selling well, a reprint could boost sales around 1.6-1.7 million and DLC means even more money. Imo, MH4 is a late 2013 release.

As for DQVII, it's still unannounced. It all depends on the timing of the announcement (and whether it exists :p); I can say this game is more likely than MH4 this year, but I see more as a 2013 Summer release.

duckroll

I think ultimately this depends on how complete MH4 is. Remember, RE:R and KH3D were both announced at E3 2010, and they're only coming out now. That's over 1.5 years after the initial announcement. While it is possible that MH4 could come out faster, it is also entirely possible that they want to get it just right before releasing such a major title. Spring/Summer 2013 is just as likely as Winter 2012.

Right. One is from the team that actually exists and is making a real game, and the other team exists only in rumor land. That is definitely two different teams.

wrowa

It probably won't take as long until the Pokémon 3DS as you imagine. Game Freak consist of two teams; it's probable that B/W2 is being developed by the remake team that did HG/SV before while the main team is developing the next Pokémon version for the 3DS. It was already mentioned several times in this thread alone, but the change from DS to 3DS also means that Game Freak has to abandom Sprites this time around. Doing the extra step for the first time might simply take a little.

In any case, between HeartGold/SoulSilver and Black/White only one year has passed. I expect that it'll be the same this time around -- and one year is far less than two or three.

Remember that MH4 trailer we got during Nintendo conference last September was nothing more than a tech demo on which Capcom worked for a few weeks. I don't think production is anywhere close to completion, but I could be wrong. MH3G is still selling well, a reprint could boost sales around 1.6-1.7 million and DLC means even more money. Imo, MH4 is a late 2013 release.
The MH4 video was evidently realtime gameplay, I think it's probably farther along than some think. Also the game started development at the same time as Tri G, so we're already looking at about a year in development now.

As for DQVII, it's still unannounced. It all depends on the timing of the announcement (and whether it exists :p); I can say this game is more likely than MH4 this year, but I see more as a 2013 Summer release.
I could see spring 2013 or something too. I'm guessing it'll look a bit like DQV PS2, and be coming from the same teams (Arte Piazza & Matrix Software).

I think ultimately this depends on how complete MH4 is. Remember, RE:R and KH3D were both announced at E3 2010, and they're only coming out now. That's over 1.5 years after the initial announcement. While it is possible that MH4 could come out faster, it is also entirely possible that they want to get it just right before releasing such a major title. Spring/Summer 2013 is just as likely as Winter 2012.
December 2012 would give MH4 a comparable dev cycle to KH3D and RER though. I could also see spring 2013, but I think Capcom's going to push hard to make the financial year.

Right. One is from the team that actually exists and is making a real game, and the other team exists only in rumor land. That is definitely two different teams.
OOO UUU !!! :3

Mrbob

If Nintendo did ink a true exclusive for MH4 on 3DS, perhaps part of the deal is no Pokemanz on 3DS until after MH4 is released?

duckroll

December 2012 would give MH4 a comparable dev cycle to KH3D and RER though. I could also see spring 2013, but I think Capcom's going to push hard to make the financial year.

I don't see why they would push hard to make the financial year when they have RE6 launching this year.

I think Monster Hunter 4 makes some amount of sense as a December 2012 title.

No chance whatsoever, its the next full on main monster hunter, capcom is gonna want it to pull in comparable numbers to mhp3 (or maybe even more) there's no chance of seeing it before the 3ds has built up a sizable userbase (say about 15 million) so we'll be looking at xmas 2013

duckroll

Maybe to keep JP numbers up? Capcom also seems to like having a "big" Q1 game, I could see MH4 slot in there pretty easily.

Why would Capcom care exclusively about JP numbers? They're not posting in a MC thread. Money is money to investors. :p

The fact is they have zero reason to "push hard" for MH4 anytime this year. If the game is done and they're ready, they can release it. If not, they can afford to wait. They have other titles to release.

Top Bottom