• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 7, 2012 (Feb 13 - Feb 19)

No chance whatsoever, its the next full on main monster hunter, capcom is gonna want it to pull in comparable numbers to mhp3 (or maybe even more) there's no chance of seeing it before the 3ds has built up a sizable userbase (say about 15 million) so we'll be looking at xmas 2013
They're not going 2 years without a MH release, and 3 year cycle for MH4 seems way overkill. If MH4 is Xmas 2013 we'll have to see some stuff in the interim (3rd G, Felyne Village 3D, Tri G International, etc).

MH4 will be a long tail game anyway. Even if it launches when 3DS is "only" 10m, it'll still be selling when 3DS is 15m.

Why would Capcom care exclusively about JP numbers? They're not posting in a MC thread. Money is money to investors. :p

The fact is they have zero reason to "push hard" for MH4 anytime this year. If the game is done and they're ready, they can release it. If not, they can afford to wait. They have other titles to release.

I never said they'd care exclusively about JP figures, I just said they might care about JP figures. Why wouldn't they really, why rest on just RE6 in the west?

"Push hard" probably isn't the correct terminology, but I doubt it comes to that anyway. MH4 will most likely be ready and release next fiscal year from what we know about it right now. Could always change though.

They're not going 2 years without a MH release, and 3 year cycle for MH4 seems way overkill. If MH4 is Xmas 2013 we'll have to see some stuff in the interim (3rd G, Felyne Village 3D, Tri G International, etc).

MH4 will be a long tail game anyway. Even if it launches when 3DS is "only" 10m, it'll still be selling when 3DS is 15m.

There was over 2 and a half years between mhp2g and mhp3 yeah there was tri in between but home console ones aren't on the same planet of importance, so I think a 2 year gap is inevitable though a spin off in the mean time is reasonably likely

There was over 2 and a half years between mhp2g and mhp3 yeah there was tri in between but home console ones aren't on the same planet of importance, so I think a 2 year gap is inevitable though a spin off in the mean time is reasonably likely
There was G Wii (2009), Tri (2009) Frontier 360 (2010) and Felyne Village (2010) in between 2nd G and 3rd. And between just the year from 3rd to Tri G we had 3rd HD and Felyne Village G.

Monster Hunter has clearly become a more important franchise for Capcom since 2008, and far more capitalized on and frequently released too.

The bit in brackets invalidates your point

And MH4 being a ground up new entry rather than an iterative update invalidates yours. Tri G isn't being looked at as a sales monster anyway, it's being looked at as a warm up (clearly since Capcom projected 1.2m, not 3.2m). More like G on Wii than 3rd on PSP.

And MH4 being a ground up new entry rather than an iterative update invalidates yours. Tri G isn't being looked at as a sales monster anyway, it's being looked at as a warm up (clearly since Capcom projected 1.2m, not 3.2m). More like G on Wii than 3rd on PSP.

Like g on Wii are you fucking joking? I'd say more like p2g

ElFly

Capcom is not going to release MH4 until they feel it can do numbers comparable to the PSP entries.

Which will probably mean 2013.

e:if they feel the need to release a MH in 2012 they will go for MH3G with all the DLC content and some extra stuff.

I think I see Monster Hunter 4 in Q2 2013, possibly early Q3, around the time of year when Dragon Quest IX launched back in 2009. I don't see Capcom rushing it out to make this fiscal year, they have a healthy lineup already with Resident Evil 6 alone. This will also allow the 3DS base to grow to a size that can handle a multi-million unit launch.

mclem

If Nintendo did ink a true exclusive for MH4 on 3DS, perhaps part of the deal is no Pokemanz on 3DS until after Pokemon x Monster Hunter is released?

"Hunting for Pocket Monsters" just sounds like a frankly distressing euphemism.

Like g on Wii are you fucking joking? I'd say more like p2g
G Wii and Tri G are going to end up about as close in sales as 2nd G and Tri G. We're talking a gap of over a million both ways.

When I say like G Wii, that means as a warm up for the new platform. Tri went on to sell about 4x what G did, I expect it'll be similar for Tri G to 4 (say 3x). Capcom's not viewing Tri G as a sales monster, if they were they'd have projected a LOT higher than just 1.2m.

G Wii and Tri G are going to end up about as close in sales as 2nd G and Tri G. We're talking a gap of over a million both ways.

When I say like G Wii, that means as a warm up for the new platform. Tri went on to sell about 4x what G did, I expect it'll be similar for Tri G to 4 (say 3x). Capcom's not viewing Tri G as a sales monster, if they were they'd have projected a LOT higher than just 1.2m.

Tri g is already at over 1.2 million if if there is a best release and mh4 isn't released til the end of next year it should at least be close to 3 million

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Gravity Rush could become Vita's small sleeper hit in the end when established and known IPs failed.

e90004e2-s.jpg

There's too much double posting and avatar-less people in here. I'm so confused.

Capcom's not viewing Tri G as a sales monster, if they were they'd have projected a LOT higher than just 1.2m.

The situation has changed though. It did better than anticipated and Capcom is no stranger to exploiting happy surprises.

There's too much double posting and avatar-less people in here. I'm so confused.

The situation has changed though. It did better than anticipated and Capcom is no stranger to exploiting happy surprises.

Chances are by the end of the financial year they'll have sold nearly 1.4m and shipped 1.5m probably looking at nearly 2m shipped november for a best release that'll sell somewhere between half a million and a million and a half by the xmas 2013 release of mh4

Kinvara

It seems like every Media Create thread for this year has turned into discussion of the PSV and what it can do to fix its terrible sales.

It seems like every Media Create thread for this year has turned into discussion of the PSV and what it can do to fix its terrible sales.

Yeah just like from April through July there were very long debates over what to do with the 3DS. It's an interesting and important topic because people have a wide variety of opinions. Also, the last few pages have mainly been about 3DS, Monster Hunter and Pokemon.

RPGamer92

Banned

I could definitely see a Portable 3G for 3DS to further increase the MH base for the system

ElFly

MH4 may not have to wait until xmas 2013. Remember that golden week (at the start of may) seems to be p. high in sales too.

LOCK

For the big Q4 3DS Megasellers, I'm thinking:

New Super Mario Bros.
Animal Crossing
Monster Hunter 4
Dragon Quest VII

I think BW2 is probably replacing any Grey release basically. Next Pokémon will be a Gen VI set on 3DS.

I see Animal Crossing being an August or September release. I wish they would release Paper Mario this summer, since releasing anywhere near the new NSMB will probably be detrimental. I can see Luigi's Mansion being an October game...especially in the Americas.

I do think Capcom intended for MH4 to be a Winter 2012 game, but with the success of MHT3G I don't know how they will amend their release schedule.

Gravity Rush could become Vita's small sleeper hit in the end when established and known IPs failed.

e90004e2-s.jpg

Was kind of shocked to see the ad for this on TV last night. Nintendo ads seem pretty common, especially the girls dancing to AKB, but it's once in a blue moon I see a first party Sony game on TV. If they market it right it should establish itself.

Orgen

NO, YOU NEED TO TELL US THE FUTURE AS YOU DID WITH B&W2!!! COME ONN!!!!!!!!!!!!

:p

For the Prediction Bets, I agree with you.

The next prediction game is: which Pokémon games will be released after B2/W2?

I've already told you: Pokemon Vita / Pokemon iOS

Trolololol

Your work on taking over the predictions is very much appreciated. :D

Yeah, thanks Road for the effort!

Six years on GAF and I still haven't learned that the pretty dumb rumors are usually false... but the absolute stupidest rumors are always true!

I still maintain that releasing a new Pokemon game on DS at this stage is extraordinarily foolish. Regardless of how well it sells in units, it's not doing the job of moving 3DS units and it's punting on the single most relevant franchise to drive US sales for another 2-3 years. Whatever criticisms people offered up of Sony releasing God of War 2 on PS2 a whole year into the PS3's lifespan have to apply double to this.

With every rumor you should ask yourself "why would anyone make up something like this?". If you can come up with a good reason why someone would make it up, it might be fake. If you can't think of any logical reason why anyone would want to make something like that up, it could be true!

It seems like a good procedure to see throught fake rumours. Too bad you didn't tell charlequin before ;D

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
amazon has bigger than usual Vita discounts some days now (directly from amazon)

9% for Wi-Fi and 11% (9+2 from Sony's campaign) for 3G.

Big games like MH should be released during the holiday season if Capcom wants maximum profits. It'll open bigger than it would if released during any other time of the year, especially on Nintendo platforms which enjoy bigger boosts and then still go on to sell all year round. The downside to releasing it end of 2012 means tri-G's legs will get cut short and waiting til holidays 2013 is too long. History tells us Capcom will release whenever the hell they feel like, but tri-G's success could mean they'll want to release it in the holidays again. I think it just depends on when the game is ready and how much they wanna polish it, it'll sell a fuck-ton either way and Capcom knows this. I think early 2013 would be the most realistic date.

Maedhros

amazon has bigger than usual Vita discounts some days now (directly from amazon)

9% for Wi-Fi and 11% (9+2 from Sony's campaign) for 3G.

Hope the Japanese can get a permanent price cut later this year. It's really expensive, for a platform without many games that appeal the japanese market.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
They want the first Pokémon 3DS game to cause a huge impression, and they aren't ready for that yet, so they're going to keep going with the DS for a little while longer.

It's really not that hard to understand.

More like Nintendo isn't in control of which system(s) the games are developed for.

The theory that a franchise needs a large install base to get ideal sales is faulty and was disproved in this very thread. People who are avid fans of a certain series will simply buy the system when the game they want comes out if they don't have it already. Install base is nearly irrelevant regarding a game's sales potential. Therefore, it won't factor into Capcom's decision as to when MH4 should be released.

Gaborn

The theory that a franchise needs a large install base to get ideal sales is faulty and was disproved in this very thread. People who are avid fans of a certain series will simply buy the system when the game they want comes out if they don't have it already. Install base is nearly irrelevant regarding a game's sales potential. Therefore, it won't factor into Capcom's decision as to when MH4 should be released.

This is the wrong way to look at it. Capcom, like any company with a franchise isn't looking to simply attract the same people to buy each game in the series. The HOPE of a company is a new iteration can BUILD the fan base and to do that it's best to have a larger pre-existing user base because that increases the pool of people that would be available to be tempted to try the series for the first time.

This is the wrong way to look at it. Capcom, like any company with a franchise isn't looking to simply attract the same people to buy each game in the series. The HOPE of a company is a new iteration can BUILD the fan base and to do that it's best to have a larger pre-existing user base because that increases the pool of people that would be available to be tempted to try the series for the first time.

I think their hope with building the franchise was the whole reason they jumped to Nintendo. The original MH fanbase will come with them and they'll also have the chance to snag the mario kart crowd. I just don't feel like Capcom is going to wait for some arbitrary sales number to release MH4. They likely feel that the potential for growth is with the system itself.

Gaborn

I think their hope with building the franchise was the whole reason they jumped to Nintendo. The original MH fanbase will come with them and they'll also have the chance to snag the mario kart crowd. I just don't feel like Capcom is going to wait for some arbitrary sales number to release MH4. They likely feel that the potential for growth is with the system itself.

Oh, I agree with that for the most part. I misread your argument I think. I mean, I think it's possible they have SOME number in mind, but nothing ridiculous or firm. For example, they might project that the 3DS will have 10 million units sold in Japan LTD by the end of this year (Just a number I pulled out, not a prediction on my part) and so plan a release around that time but if they got to that number earlier or a little later they wouldn't care.

Top Bottom