• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 7, 2013 (Feb 11 - Feb 17)

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Japan is 3DS. 3DS is Japan.

WiiU experiencing very loud market statistic noise this week as it continues to stabilise downwards.

Looks like sub-10k (ie the Laughing Zone) is about a fortnight away.

Wii Fit U in spring, Wii Party U in summer, Wind Waker HD in fall should do decently, with system seller potential for some at least.

Wii Sports U needs to be fast tracked for Q4. That plus Super Mario and Mario Kart would make a good holiday trinity.

I may have missed it in the last direct, but did they actually show Wii Sports or was it just Wii Party?Also the Wii Sports team just got done with Animal Crossing and Nintendoland. Unless they hand it off to another team or the game is barely anything new which I think would be a mistake.

The Wii Fit/Party titles are not going to sell.

They will sell, but I think more in line with the drop off to Nintendogs+Cats level rather than Brain Training's rubbish numbers.

Wonderful 101

You as well I know exactly how this game is going to do =(

Wii Fit U in spring, Wii Party U in summer, Wind Waker HD in fall should do decently, with system seller potential for some at least.

Wii Sports U needs to be fast tracked for Q4. That plus Super Mario and Mario Kart would make a good holiday trinity.

But Wii Party U is a soft you bought when you already own the system. I don't think it will sell the console. And it will in a certain manner end up as bad advertising because it looks visually cheap as fuck. Expect a lot of "WiiU as powerful as Wii".

Don´t expect this to sell well, was already released on the Wii.

it has potential though, it is possible some (many?) people held off on the wii version with the superior version coming soon and the gamepad is so clearly a perfect controller for an mmorpg

Have any of you actually talked to casuals about the Wii U and their opinion of it? While anecdotal, I have and most are really confused, if not turned off by the Wii U.

Let's take my wife for example. She loves the Wii, but because of the Wii remote and playing games like Wii sports bowling and just dance with her niece. She also likes the kinect at times.

When she saw an ad for the Wii U, she asked "Is that a new Nintendo unit?" And I said "Yes." "What's the difference?" and I say "greatly improved graphics and a tablet stytle controller being the centerpiece" and she says "no thanks, I want more with the Wii remote games. I don't need another tablet."

I did tell her the Wii remotes work but honestly are not the centerpiece like it was with the Wii. Which goes on to tell me that all the popular casual titles for the Wii may not translate over to the Wii U with the gamepad being the new centerpiece. Also the price didn't help either.

miksar

Dragon Quest is quite big in Japan, but I don't know if it will be a system seller considering that it already released on the Wii some months ago.
I'm not saying it will be a system seller but a little bump will be enough to ensure that the whole "Wii U is dead even in Japan" debate is meaningless before next Christmas.

vareon

Well there's no point in discussing Wii U's numbers anywhere. No notable release until March and we know Nintendo's plan until June already (which is offering select Virtual Console titles at 30 yen.... o_o)

10 3DS games in top 20 with 5 third party games. Bring on the Third Party direct, Iwata.

Spiegel

SSIV3D did over 1 Million worldwide? Wow, I'm impressed! o_O

Where's MVC3 3D eh Capcom?

Capcom was impressed too. They still don't know how retailers agreed to take that many copies.

Benefits of being a launch game for the successor of the best selling handheld ever, I guess.

just put the gamepad into its little stand and put it in front of the tv, some exercises more than others will lend themselves to it but my mrs cant wait for it

I predict less then a 20% Wii Fit to Wii Fit U owner adoption rate. Of course this is impossible to determine without a professional survey so my prediction is pretty meaningless, hehe.

Capcom was impressed too. They still don't know how retailers agreed to take that many copies.

Benefits of being a launch game for the successor of the best selling handheld ever, I guess.

It's well deserved, I'm still impressed how they got the stuff done in this version and at launch to boot, it was certainly a looker at launch, being the debut of the MT Framework Mobile engine. 60fps as well in 2D.

Of course you realize that would put it over 500k?

Yes, and I'm being very generous at the 20% to not offend people really. But that 500K is lifetime, and many of those adopters may already have purchases a Wii U for other reasons (husband likes Mario!). So that is 500K titles and maybe 100K Wii U's sold.

Nothing over the life of a console.

In reality with the current trend in economics, I would trend it is under 20% well before going over (20% being my most liberal guess).

extralite

| WIU | 10.744 | 12.185 | | 154.086 | | 781.373 |

I wonder how many of those are premium sets. Since all owners of the premium set can play the DQX beta starting March 6th. Since they don't have much else to play a good share of them probably will. Now depending on how many didn't already play the Wii version and how many like it enough to buy it after the beta ends (with still nothing much coming out really besides DQX), there could be some more new buyers adding to the double dippers.

beril

Don´t expect this to sell well, was already released on the Wii.

I think being an MMO could give it a bit more impact than a late up-port of a singleplayer game. If people are still playing it and plan to continue doing so for some time they may very well want to upgrade.

JoeM86

Fucking Top Nintendo Hell. I can't believe this company is still having loss.

It's not. They were back at profit overall in the last quarter. Despite the Wii U sales this quarter, it's likely to continue being a profit, then as Q2 and Q3, and especially Q4 with Pokémon X & Y, it will continue to be a profit.

It isn't even in us, 3ds is doing downright bad in America. It's jan sales were pretty awful.

Nonsense. The sales in America were good. They weren't amazing, sure, but they weren't "downright bad" or "awful"

I'm more impressed with the WiiU's failure in Japan over the Vita is because Vita doesn't have any big games in Japan except for maybe Persona 4 port and the only games coming in the horizon for it are MH clones, which, for the most part are unproven and/or available on other platforms. WiiU has a brand new 2D Mario game and a MH3U port with DQX port, MK, SSB, Mario 3D in the horizon.

Yes, of course, because those games are coming to WiiU, it means it has a better chance of recovering than Vita, but I did not expect it to fall this low with all those games announced. Maybe (probably) I was being naive. This doesn't bode well for PS4 and especially for 720 in Japan in the near future IMO.

it has potential though, it is possible some (many?) people held off on the wii version with the superior version coming soon and the gamepad is so clearly a perfect controller for an mmorpg

Why?

Kenka

Has Japan always been this sort of 1 platform nation?

No.

Top Famitsu 12/02/96 - 18/02/96

s07retro.png

Courtesy of the_lascar

Fabrik

Banned
My god, Wii U is gonna decimate the competition (Bar 3DS) this Winter. Still 2 Wii U games in the top 20. It's a slow start but with Mario Kart + Mario 3D U + slight price drop, Wii U is going to crush PS3 and PS4 at the end of the year, it will be the 3DS all over again.

Celine

I'm more impressed with the WiiU's failure in Japan over the Vita is because Vita doesn't have any big games in Japan except for maybe Persona 4 port and the only games coming in the horizon for it are MH clones, which, for the most part are unproven and/or available on other platforms. WiiU has a brand new 2D Mario game and a MH3U port with DQX port, MK, SSB, Mario 3D in the horizon.
I understand what you said but saying "MK, SSB, Mario 3D in the horizon" should push sales is a bit silly.
I mean we always know those iteration will be there for every Nintendo systems.
Hype can be helpful to push some sales if you actually shows [the potential fun you can have with] the games.

No.

Courtesy of the_lascar
I think thats a yes. SAT/PS1 is like DS/PSP or Wii/PS3 at certain stages of their life. Just because other consoles were selling games doesn't change the fact that PS1 was very dominant over its competition. Just like it has always been. Its partly due to how third parties work also, they also like to support one dominant console.

I understand what you said but saying "MK, SSB, Mario 3D in the horizon" should push sales is a bit silly.
Hype can be helpful to push some sales if you actually shows [the potential fun you can have with] the games.
Its far too early for people to buy the Wii U for these games. Everyone knows its gonna be awhile before they appear. Only the hardest of the hardcore are buying it at the moment. It will sell systems when it gets closer to its release though.

I didn't say they should push sales, I was trying to imply that they should keep the system alive and kicking while people go and play big games like NSMB2, MH3U, and soon DQX and Game&Wario. The system should definitely not be on the verge of below 10k in its first semester with all those proven system selling franchises available or coming soon to the system.
NSMBU is not fresh enough to sell a high priced console, DQX isn't even released not to mention its also a port and MH3U is a port of a game thats appeared multiple times. Its simply not enough to keep the system selling at a higher level. The only potential customers right now are the people who haven't played any of these games and are interested in Nintendo's upcoming games, other than that there's not many other people they can sell to until the price drops and the library is more fleshed out with first and third party games.

I didn't say they should push sales, I was trying to imply that they should keep the system alive and kicking while people go and play big games like NSMB2, MH3U, and soon DQX and Game&Wario. The system should definitely not be on the verge of below 10k in its first semester with all those proven system selling franchises available or coming soon to the system.

My god, Wii U is gonna decimate the competition (Bar 3DS) this Winter. Still 2 Wii U games in the top 20. It's a slow start but with Mario Kart + Mario 3D U + slight price drop, Wii U is going to crush PS3 and PS4 at the end of the year, it will be the 3DS all over again.

wtfconfused.gif

Kenka

I think thats a yes. SAT/PS1 is like DS/PSP or Wii/PS3 at certain stages of their life. Just because other consoles were selling games doesn't change the fact that PS1 was very dominant over its competition. Just like it has always been. Its partly due to how third parties work also, they also like to support one dominant console.
There are three consoles represented in this chart, and I selected this period because of that. We are talking software only, right ? Also, during the PS2/GBA era (which stretched for years), no clear winner emerged, this time on the hardware front.

Is the top 20 showing Wii U strength....or software weakness? I'm thinking the latter since the Wii U is honestly starting slow. Hard to predict next holiday however.

The Wii Fit/Party titles are not going to sell.
I'm not so sure. Casual/family/party console games still do pretty well (look at Taiko Super DLX, Mario Party 9, Just Dance Wii 2, Rhythm Heaven Fever, etc), and once Wii U has enough there might be a tipping point for the Wii audience to finally upgrade. Right now Nintendo Land alone just isn't enough.

I do think Party has more potential than
Fit though.

There are three consoles represented in this chart, and I selected this period because of that. We are talking software only, right ? Also, during the PS2/GBA era (which stretched for years), no clear winner emerged, this time on the hardware front.
PS2/GBA is two markets really, ones a handheld and ones a home console. The games were much different to the situation now where console experiences can be replicated on handhelds without much sacrifice. The SNES is like the old dominant console thats still selling after the next-gen has started, like how the PS1/PS2/PSP is still selling after the next-gen has started.

Celine

IMO the problem of that lineup is that is composed of already seen/played games on much widespread systems (Wii/3DS).
It's hard to asks to MH3U or DQX to sell more than what they did (or is expected to do).
NSMBU that is the main system seller is selling good compared to whatever Sony or MS can release at launch but it suffer to be a fun yet unexciting game, too similar with previous NSMB games (the 3DS one is nearing 2 million and was released 6 months prior).

miksar

No, it won't for simple reasons:
1) 3DS will eat much of its sales with a much better gaming library;
2) Mario 3D U won't be as huge seller as we'd hope, Mario Kart could be slated for Spring 2014 and price drop might not happen.

A little slower second week for DQVIIr than I was hoping for. Now I'm not so sure it'll pass DQVIr anymore. Still good numbers of course but VIIr is a much bigger effort than VIr and I would have liked to see that reflected in the sales.

saichi

Of the 4 games you listed, 2 of them are not even available yet. Why would people buy the console now instead of waiting for it to release?

2) Mario 3D U won't be as huge seller as we'd hope, Mario Kart could be slated for Spring 2014 and price drop might not happen.
If they can show 3D Mario at E3 in playable form, I'm sure they can get MK ready also. Nintendo's game plan is to release the evergreens early in the systems life to help sell systems, so MK will come out this year, its a guarantee.

3DS didn't sell well despite the promise of big Nintendo games by the year end. Sales only picked up with the price drop and the surprise announcement of MH3G coming within a month or so. I don't think hype for G&W or DQX port compares to MH3G appearing on a Nintendo handheld for the first time and MH4 being announced for it at the same time.

I know it seems far fetched right now, but if a Mario Kart U + Mario 3D U + price drop combo happens this fall, I don't see that not working. And I don't see anything on PS3/PS4 selling better.
Its not farfetched, its pretty much a certainty.

Fabrik

Banned

I know it seems far fetched right now, but if a Mario Kart U + Mario 3D U + price drop combo happens this fall, I don't see that not working. And I don't see anything on PS3/PS4 selling better.

Top Bottom