• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 7, 2014 (Feb 10 - Feb 16)

liger05

Didnt GC 1st party software do ok even though the console bombed?

Wii U 1st party sales just seem to be a joke and the console seems to be pure toxic.

L Thammy

I suspect that games like Donkey Kong tend to benefit a lot from a casual audience. The name is recognizable and a lot of people played it when they were younger, so if you have that audience already they're going to pick the game up.

Bayonetta is niche anyway and I don't think the audience will buy a Wii U just for that game. I've heard that Xenoblade was a cult classic even in Japan, though. Bad sales up front but the price didn't down. If that's true and X is enough to motivate its fans to buy a system, I could imagine it doing respectably.

Considering how insanely high the Wii install base was at the time, that was a terrible first week too.

Donkey Kong just isn't that popular in Japan apparently. Go figure... :?\

More WiiU isn't popular in Japan.

Bayonetta PS360 did 320k. I will be surprised if Bayo 2 managed half of that.

Xenoblade did 140k (180?). I think X will do better. 200k or even 300k optimistically.

wrowa

Didnt GC 1st party software do ok even though the console bombed?

Wii U 1st party sales just seem to be a joke and the console seems to be pure toxic.

The two heavy hitters on Wii U so far have been New Super Mario Bros. U and Mario 3D World. A lot of people even bought a bundle consisting of NSMBU and New Super Luigi U during the holiday period, when they bought a Wii U to play Mario 3D World.

In other words: In a shocking twist, the Wii U audience seems to be satisfied with platformers currently. It's Nintendo's fault for not having enough non-platformer games that appeal to a wider audience. The only game that kind fits the bill in Japan has been Pikmin 3, everything else Nintendo released was niche-y at best.

More WiiU isn't popular in Japan.

Bayonetta PS360 did 320k. I will be surprised if Bayo 2 managed half of that.

Xenoblade did 140k (180?). I think X will do better. 200k or even 300k optimistically.

This too.

Yea, Bayo 2 is doomed to do badly unfortunately. But then again, at least Platinum is used to making games that sell terribly.

Your prediction for X is higher than mine. I hope you're right.

SmokyDave

It's a psychological barrier. Selling 18k is still terrible but given how the Vita sold last year, it looks good in comparison The reality is that it's still selling bad. Vita fans are going to hide behind the "at least it's over last year's YTD" all year long, taking over for the "at least it's over 10k".
Every week you say this, and every week I wonder where this 'psychological barrier' really lies.

The Vita has shown a marked improvement over the last 12 months. Gone are the days when the 3DS outsold it by 20 to 1 (hell, one week was 47:1!). The baseline has risen, support has risen, localisations are rising. The platform is trending in the exact opposite direction to last years expectations.

You always say it's 'selling bad', but you conveniently overlook the fact that everything is 'selling bad'. At least the Vita isn't getting worse with every passing week / month like the other platforms. Sure, it's selling bad, but bad is better than holy-fuck-when-will-they-pull-it-off-the-shelf.

Also, every week I think 'thank fuck it's still over 10k' so you're wrong if you think that fear has gone away.

Takao

Banned
Blessed Knack, please help PS4 on its arduous journey.
WkbUpgT.jpg

In the UK it was Knack vs. Super Mario 3D World. In Japan it's going to be Knack vs. Donkey Bomba. dem bundles

Atram

Every week you say this, and every week I wonder where this 'psychological barrier' really lies.

The Vita has shown a marked improvement over the last 12 months. Gone are the days when the 3DS outsold it by 20 to 1 (hell, one week was 47:1!). The baseline has risen, support has risen, localisations are rising. The platform is trending in the exact opposite direction to last years expectations.

You always say it's 'selling bad', but you conveniently overlook the fact that everything is 'selling bad'. At least the Vita isn't getting worse with every passing week / month like the other platforms. Sure, it's selling bad, but bad is better than holy-fuck-when-will-they-pull-it-off-the-shelf.

Also, every week I think 'thank fuck it's still over 10k' so you're wrong if you think that fear has gone away.

let´s see how much the Vita will keep of that YoY after the next 3-4 weeks.

I'm with you there, but how do you improve on the XL significantly enough that everyone is willing to drop $200 all over again? With delightful little brand-name tablets selling for $150 these days, I'd really rather have one of those.

You revamp the OG 3DS with a facelift, spec bump and a game to show the bump:

A 3DSi, if you will.

The Vita makes me happy. I don't own one yet, but I'm glad to see it's doing much better. I hope to have one eventually and really hope it keeps getting supported or that the support rises.

SmokyDave

let´s see how much the Vita will keep of that YoY after the next 3-4 weeks.
I'll be watching it for the next 45 weeks, never mind 3 or 4. Yup, things are going to get tight next month, even with a slew of releases. The year doesn't end there though.

The Vita makes me happy. I don't own one yet, but I'm glad to see it's doing much better. I hope to have one eventually and really hope it keeps getting supported or that the support rises.
I hope you get one eventually too, it's a killer machine. The initial outlay can be hefty, but games are so cheap that it's quite an economical device to maintain. Drop into some of the Vita indie threads to whet your whistle ;)

Steroyd

Yikes, that's terrible. And Vita having a baseline, while the 3DS continues to fall itsonlyamatteroftime.

So how do we predict Bayonetta and X to sell in Japan? Those both seem like games that would cater to a Japanese audience more than anything else.

Bayonetta is a terrible one to predict, yes it'll reach out to more of the Japaneese audience but it's on the wrong system to put it simply, I'd be surprised if it beats Donkey Kong which saddens me by where my expectation lie on the matter.

Frillen

Week after week you have a Vita charade where you simultaneously take hits against the competition, and you expect people to just ignore that? You always spin things in favour of Sony no matter what while always trying your hardest to put the competition in a dark light. You remind me of Wollan. Again you think people are going to ignore it? Yeah, the Vita is doing better than last year, I said so in my own post, but it's still selling bad overall. When the Vita hit sub 20k for the first time in 2012 it was considered to be bad. It's still bad today even though it's doing better than sub 10k.

Anth0ny

Pikmin a stronger IP than Donkey Kong confirmed.

This is really amazing. Hardware sales jumped from 7000 to 8000 with the release of one of their biggest games of the year. Now there is NOTHING UNTIL MAY 30.

This drought will probably bring hardware sales for Wii U under 5k weekly. What a disgrace.

AdanVC

Well it could be worst you know? Top two on charts and at least 35,717 people are enjoying such a fine top-quality platformer with DK: Tropical Freeze and David Wise tunes. This was expected, but let's hope it can have a bump or something in the upcoming weeks... but PS4 releases this friday in Japan, right? Oh well : /

Metallix87

Week after week you have a Vita charade where you simultaneously take hits against the competition, and you expect people to just ignore that? You always spin things in favour of Sony no matter what while always trying your hardest to put the competition in a dark light. Again you think people are going to ignore it? Yeah, the Vita is doing better than last year, I said so in my own post, but it's still selling bad overall. When the Vita hit sub 20k for the first time in 2012 it was considered to be bad. It's still bad today even though it's doing better.
I think some people, including Dave, have reset their expectations for the Vita based on previous failures. Thus, these numbers seem positive, even if they're not necessarily good. Admittedly, though, I do think some people have taken it too far with the Vita winning, 3DS dying nonsense.

Totally expected numbers for Donkey Kong. It looks like an HD release of the Wii/3DS game (for the uniformed consumer) and it is selling like one.

Yep, expected DK to bomb miles away. At this point I'm not so sure anymore if MK8 and Super Smash will have any significant boost in WiiU sale since the new king of console is arriving this weekend.

Chesskid1

Banned
Vita has some great games coming next month so it's possible we could see Vita > 3ds sales for a bit?

This thread will be soo good around then.

SmokyDave

Week after week you have a Vita charade where you simultaneously take hits against the competition, and you expect people to just ignore that? You always spin things in favour of Sony no matter what while always trying your hardest to put the competition in a dark light. You remind me of Wollan. Again you think people are going to ignore it? Yeah, the Vita is doing better than last year, I said so in my own post, but it's still selling bad overall. When the Vita hit sub 20k for the first time in 2012 it was considered to be bad. It's still bad today even though it's doing better than sub 10k.
Ah, so it's more that you're catching feelings on behalf of the competition, and less that you're genuinely irked by positivity surrounding the Vita. Fair enough. I can dig that. I can also see why you feel the positivity is disproportionate, but I'd suggest you have a short memory. The Vita should've been essentially dead by now, not getting better.

Again, everything is selling bad. Unless you're a smartphone / tablet, of course. Hopefully the PS4 can do for Japan what it has done for the west. We shall see.

I think some people, including Dave, have reset their expectations for the Vita based on previous failures. Thus, these numbers seem positive, even if they're not necessarily good. Admittedly, though, I do think some people have taken it too far with the Vita winning, 3DS dying nonsense.
Sorry, I can't work with this material. Far too reasonable ;)

I honestly see Bayo2 performing as badly as W101 in Japan.

It's nice that we are getting a sequel but Bayo2 is not a system seller, especially not a Wii U seller. It's the kind of game that generates its sell mostly from the popular of the platform it is on.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Maybe NA sales of DK will be better but I really think Iwata really made a dumb mistake signing off on that project. Maybe Retro wouldn't find success with any franchise or game, but at least they'd have some sort of small chance at finding a break out hit. DK was always doomed to failure, and nothing about those numbers made it worth playing it safe.

Anyhow Wii U is starting this 12 week+ drought below 9k units, and will see at least some amount of new competition with PS4. I wonder how low it will go.

This drought will probably bring hardware sales for Wii U under 5k weekly. What a disgrace.
I forgot about the drought. I was thinking the increased competition from the PS4 was going to knock the WU down a notch, since there's finally another console to buy.

Sad times indeed. Everything is doing terribly. 3DS less so, but it's got to be worrying since its best year only equals to one of the DS' Okay-ish years.

sörine;101456453 said:
That's not bad really. How many new IPs do much more than that?

RPGs:

Dragons Dogma: 468k
WKC : 339k
Demon Souls: 300k+ (don't have the exact figures but I remember someone saying this)
VC: 140k ( + 95k from BEST version)
Catherine: 206k
Blue Dragon: 203k
RoF: 184k
Last Remnant: 154k
IU: 112k
LO: 110k

Scum

The piss poor software output from NCL for the WiiU has made the console toxic to everything being released for it, regardless of the quality. I expect shitty sales for everything.

Sad times indeed. Everything is doing terribly. 3DS less so, but it's got to be worrying since its best year only equals to one of the DS' Okay-ish years.

At some point, people have to understand that not selling at the same level as the best-selling handheld of all time does not necessarily imply failure. A film does not have to gross as much as Titanic, Avatar or Harry Potter to be considered a success.

Linkhero1

I honestly see Bayo2 performing as badly as W101 in Japan.

It's nice that we are getting a sequel but Bayo2 is not a system seller, especially not a Wii U seller. It's the kind of game that generates its sell mostly from the popular of the platform it is on.

Yep. It didn't do that great across two consoles last gen. There's no way it's going to do any better than W101 with the current install base.

RPGs:

Demon Souls: 300k+ (don't have the exact figures but I remember someone saying this)

Resonance of Fate selling higher than Xenoblade warms my heart.

lol @ 112k people buying Infinite Unshit.

SmokyDave

You have very weird standards.

If 3DS is selling so bad Vita is 100 meters below ground.
Fair point, the 3DS is dropping like knickers in a brothel, but it's still selling more than the Vita ever has outside of tentpole releases or the price cut.

Everything else is selling less than the Vita, so we can comfortably write those all off as 'bad'.

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
Sigh... basically 3DS HW is down (which by itself isn't terrible), 3DS SW is doing well, and everything else seems to be in pretty bad shape. DKC had a terrible opening (probably thanks to the best games on Wii U already being platformers...), but maybe it'll have enough legs to break 100K =(...

I guess yay to Yokai Watch, DQM2 and Kirby.

I'm probably to not look at Media Create until Mario Kart, except maybe to check how the PS4 does, as everything else is just kind of depressing.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Fair point, the 3DS is dropping like knickers in a brothel, but it's still selling more than the Vita ever has outside of tentpole releases or the price cut.

Everything else is selling less than the Vita, so we can comfortably write those all off as 'bad'.

3DS hw is dropping but so far 3DS sw is rising.

sörine

Banned
RPGs:

Demons Souls did 170k but the Best release did an additional 130k.

I sort of wonder how much Xenoblade could've done total with similar circumstances (with a budget reprint on a not-flatlining console)? But I still wouldn't characterize it's sales as "shit" as it's generally in company with Valkyria Chronicles, Demon's Souls, Blue Dragon, Last Story, Soul Sacrifice, Resonance of Fate, and a bunch of other new IPs in the same genre that were generally seen as successful enough.

Kid Ying

Pikmin a stronger IP than Donkey Kong confirmed.

This is really amazing. Hardware sales jumped from 7000 to 8000 with the release of one of their biggest games of the year. Now there is NOTHING UNTIL MAY 30.

Hmm... Again, next month there is a new sku for the system and in April Nintendo will release Just Dance Wiiu, a game with formerly good sales (but judging from this week, might even sell more than DK).

Unless you mean a game with a chance of selling well, then, the drought may even be until the end of the console life.

And people still make excuses for DKC being a platformer... When the only games that sell on the console are platformers, what should Nintendo do? More W101?

sörine;101458817 said:
Demons Souls did 170k but the Best release did an additional 130k.

I sort of wonder how much Xenoblade could've done total with similar circumstances (with a budget reprint on a not-flatlining console)? But I still wouldn't characterize it's sales as "shit" as it's generally in company with Valkyria Chronicles, Demon's Souls, Blue Dragon, Last Story, Soul Sacrifice, Resonance of Fate, and a bunch of other new IPs in the same genre that were generally seen as successful enough.

Out of the rpgs you listed the only one I would consider a success would be DeS only because it had a LTD of 300k with BEST release.

Maybe my expectations are too high but I feel 300k is what a console jrpg (that isn't a brand name) should do.

I definitely would not call what Xenoblade did as shit more like mediocre and as you said the Wii didn't have that audience.

At some point, people have to understand that not selling at the same level as the best-selling handheld of all time does not necessarily imply failure. A film does not have to gross as much as Titanic, Avatar or Harry Potter to be considered a success.

It's not a failure. I never said it was. Just has to be a bit disappointing to Nintendo. I'm curious if the 3DS life cycle is going to go on long enough for it to pass the PSP's lifetime sales.

Top Bottom