• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 7, 2014 (Feb 10 - Feb 16)

Dragon

Banned
It's a psychological barrier. Selling 18k is still terrible but given how the Vita sold last year, it looks good in comparison The reality is that it's still selling bad. Vita fans are going to hide behind the "at least it's over last year's YTD" all year long, taking over for the "at least it's over 10k".

You and SmokyDave should get into a cage match.

Thorgal

I am going to quote this from the previous thread as i am also curious as to what it says .

BefJkexCMAEXSO_.jpg

What does it say ?

Friend thrown it into other forum

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
sörine;101458817 said:
Demons Souls did 170k but the Best release did an additional 130k.

I sort of wonder how much Xenoblade could've done total with similar circumstances (with a budget reprint on a not-flatlining console)? But I still wouldn't characterize it's sales as "shit" as it's generally in company with Valkyria Chronicles, Demon's Souls, Blue Dragon, Last Story, Soul Sacrifice, Resonance of Fate, and a bunch of other new IPs in the same genre that were generally seen as successful enough.

To be fair, with the exception of Demon's Souls which sold over a million in the West, and Soul Sacrifice which is subsidized by a console vendor, those franchises are all dead now.

L Thammy

Not sure what Dave said that is so outrageous. Vita is bad, but it's moving up. It doesn't seem likely that Sony will have reason to another dedicated handheld at this rate, but that doesn't mean that that it hasn't carved out some niche for itself in the present. This level of health wouldn't have been a sensible prediction for the future back when Sony was pretending that they hadn't announced Vita Gaming Heaven 2.

Meanwhile we're looking at a stagnant 3DS and waiting for the PS4's failure to launch. Again, doesn't magically make Vita better, but why shouldn't people be excited that a system is improving in this climate?

I don't think Bayonetta and X are necessarily gonna bomb as hard as Donkey Kong. Pikmin 3 still did 90k or so first week too. Certainly because it was absent for quite a while and is rather unique on top of that. DK on the other hand just sold quite well on the 3DS several months ago, no one needed a direct sequel with near identical gameplay/presentation on an overpriced new hardware, not to mention that the genre in general is oversaturated at the moment.

What are the chances of Nintendo sitting around and doing nothing until MK8 is released at the end of May?

I would hope that Nintendo would try new retail promotions, discounts, and sales to generate activity. Doing nothing until MK8 is only asking for disaster.

The worst thing that can happen to a platform is to have it be put away by an owner. Once it goes into that closest, it's takes even more effort than a hardware launch to get them to pull it out.

Doesn't the retail version NES Remixes come out in one of those months? So it's not literally nothing at least...

It might as well be. Do they honestly expect this to help? Why not release N64 and GCN games on the VC while people are waiting three fucking months for Mario Kart? That's a quick and easy way to make money without having to actually develop anything.

Next week going to be interesting with the PS4 launch .
Not that i expecting much from over there , so good that Sony don't have to depend on them much .

tauroxd

I honestly see Bayo2 performing as badly as W101 in Japan.

It's nice that we are getting a sequel but Bayo2 is not a system seller, especially not a Wii U seller. It's the kind of game that generates its sell mostly from the popular of the platform it is on.

Maybe not as bad because of all the buzz about being a Wii U exclusive, but yeah, like sörine said, it will be about 100k.

What are the chances of Nintendo sitting around and doing nothing until MK8 is released at the end of May?

I would hope that Nintendo would try new retail promotions, discounts, and sales to generate activity. Doing nothing until MK8 is only asking for disaster.

The worst thing that can happen to a platform is to have it be put away by an owner. Once it goes into that closest, it's takes even more effort than a hardware launch to get them to pull it out.

I just put mine away on Ebay.

100%
duh

Now taking bets on whether or not the Wii U will surpass the 360 in lifespan sales next week.

I'll take that bet because it already has via Famitsu
chansub-global-emoticon-ddc6e3a8732cb50f-25x28.png

The wait until MK8 will be a long hard painful road...

And they didn't achieve to release the game on golden week...

Ho my, how can one handle a console so poorly? As a fan, I sometimes think Nintendo deserves the WiiU's fate. A success would be rewarding incompetence...

It is such a vicious cycle, a lot of people will be afraid to buy a system that can be killed anytime.
And Nintendo seems to do the worst thing : nothing. Because, right now, they're trapped.

It might as well be. Do they honestly expect this to help? Why not release N64 and GCN games on the VC while people are waiting three fucking months for Mario Kart? That's a quick and easy way to make money without having to actually develop anything.

Because Nintendo must have 100% perfect emulation for everything. They wouldn't want to tarnish their brands by releasing 99.9% emulation, they respect their fans and IPs more than that Gonzo. Please understand.
and here's some washed out NES titles that no one asked for.

B.O.O.M

One japanese store about the PS4. http://azalyn.blog22.fc2.com/

The initial shipment for the store is 3.5 higher than the PS3 launch. Almost completely allocated for pre-orders.

Not many software pre-orders, about half those of hardware. Yakuza Ishin, way ahead; everything else, so-so.

Knack..our next #Champion is about to enter the market real soon buhahahaha

and LOL at the same ole people catching feels because of SmokyDaves vita comments :D It's hilarious. Keep it up Dave #Champion #Vita4evah #thirstisreal

But yeah vita is holding on rather nicely. I didn't think it will...

Can't wait to see how PS4 does..I don't expect it to do too well for the rest of the year but the first few weeks should be interesting. I doubt sony cares too much anyways

and lol DK! wtf I thought it would hit at least 100k or get close to it...this is horrible. What's the next major wiiu game? MK in end of May? yikes

BriBri

If the 3DS isn't saturated why are the sales slipping so much year to year? Requiring a new model to hopefully bounce sales by getting existing owners to upgrade is also the very definition of a saturated market.
A lower priced point entry system is aimed at new buyers and not existing.

Anyone who thinks the PS4 won't sell in Japan isn't watching the Idol game streaming right now on twitch. Million seller confirmed.

For the PS4 launch, will the bundled copies of knack be counted as sales in these charts?

I know some tracking services do and some don't count bundled games

Thorgal

For the PS4 launch, will the bundled copies of knack be counted as sales in these charts?

I know some tracking services do and some don't count bundled games

I have asked this already Way back in early 2013 but i am going to have to ask again now :

How much would the PS4 have to sell in Japan in it's first month to be considered a success ?

Where do we hang the bar ?

I have asked this already Way back in early 2013 but i am going to have to ask again now :

How much would the PS4 have to sell in Japan in it's first month to be considered a success ?

Personally, I would aim for 700k - 1M. But this is JP market we're talking about. It's very unpredictable.

Where do we hang the bar ?

I would think that if it starts tracking under the PS3 it can be considered a failure in the country/home consoles are truly dead. Although I don't know how the PS3 sold initially so that may be misleading.

How many PS2's sold in Japan. I know PS3 sold around 10 million in 8 years

Thorgal

I would think that if it starts tracking under the PS3 it can be considered a failure in the country/home consoles are truly dead. Although I don't know how the PS3 sold initially so that may be misleading.

How many PS2's sold in Japan. I know PS3 sold around 10 million in 8 years

It sold 980,000 on launch .

AzaK

Good to see Nintendos first party games moving Wii U systems as Nintendo said they would. Can't wait until next week when third parties start releasing all their games now the drought is over.

How many days of the week was DK out?

antibolo

Banned
Anyone who thinks the PS4 won't sell in Japan isn't watching the Idol game streaming right now on twitch. Million seller confirmed.

The Vita also launched with a Dream Club game, it didn't exactly flew off the shelves.

Dream Club is the new Ridge Racer btw.

Mrbob

So if the PS4 doesn't do well in Japan, is it safe to say console gaming is dead in Japan? Will be interesting to see if the hot launch of the PS4 continues into a country which has seen console sales dwindle.

Too bad the PC space is so minimal in Japan. If consoles fade out developers could jump to PC instead of mobile.

500k for PS4 launch is probably optimistic at this point.

Definitely, considering only PS2 and GBA have started off better. But we don't even have an idea of initial shipment yet do we? Man I hope it does well. The Japanese dedicated market is looking a little anaemic this year.

Oh wow that's a huge failure for Tropical Freeze, especially considering Donkey Kong Country: Returns 3D sold 94,334 in its opening week, and the original Donkey Kong Country Returns managed 165,859.

Wii install base was much larger at the time of DKCR release. All things considered this was a decent showing.

What? Under no circumstance is DK's performance 'decent'. Even some of the more pessimistic predictions had it at ~50k. It's a super bomb.

u_neek

Have there been any reports on preorder numbers or general Japanese interest in the PS4?

I know Sony said that it sold out quickly when online retailers opened for preorders some months ago, but have we heard anything since then?

Edit: grammaah!

Top Bottom