• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 7, 2016 (Feb 15 - Feb 21)

Same for Setsuna; 60k for a new SQEX IP is not that great. Wonder whether launching a sub-100k can be seen as worthwhile by the company.

Making small games with small budget was kind of the point of Tokyo RPG Factory no?
This seems in line with something you can expect for a game like it.

RPGamer92

Banned
Still a bomba, just less than expected. The game was potentially a 500k sellers; it will sell less than half of that.

Same for Setsuna; 60k for a new SQEX IP is not that great. Wonder whether launching a sub-100k can be seen as worthwhile by the company.
WTF a 500K seller?? What kind of expectations do you have. I don't think even One Piece Musou got that high.
Edit: I was wrong about OP's numbers but still. I don't see how anyone could reasonably expect 500K.

sense

WTF a 500K seller?? What kind of expectations do you have. I don't think even One Piece Musou got that high.
I think the first one piece did around those numbers. I actually agree with him on this though. When they first announced it seemed like it was a big deal for them and the expectation was it could sell like dqh and the first one piece but I think Japan might finally be getting tired of these kind of games even though this plays differently or the ip itself isn't strong as expected

deleted

Will the Wii U shortages go on until the NX launch? It's such a weird situation.

It doesn't really make sense for Nintendo to fire up production again at this point in Wii Us life, but could this be the first console that is sold out when it's successor arrives?

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Looks like Capcom has killed Street Fighter :(

Setsuna was small budget no doubt, I bet square is happy with it. AoT underperformed but not a bomb. SFV is a bomb, it's tanking everywhere.

Oh how the mighty have fallen. Can't imagine the word of mouth will help SFV's legs any.

Seems like Wii U is settling into its new low.

Darius

Banned
How did SFIV perform on release week?

Even late ports did better.
Here a 3DS launch title.
07. / 00. [3DS] Super Street Fighter IV: 3D Edition (Capcom) {2011.02.26} - 44.649 / NEW

Edit: I was wrong about OP's numbers but still. I don't see how anyone could reasonably expect 500K.

One Piece Musou got over 800k afaik, and users like duckroll actually expected sales in the ballpark of 500k units when it was announced.

Mr Swine

Banned
Honestly I was hopi g for a much bigger boost for Vita (and PS4) this week. Kinda subpar numbers when you have lots of games in a week :/

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Following up on an old discussion, despite the shambles the 3DS is in, Fire Emblem Fates debuted at over 300K physical + digital in the US in the first three days, up from 180K physical + digital in the debut month for Awakening.

If it shows any respective legs, we could be looking at our newest Japaness series that's very heavily tilted toward the West in sales despite good results in Japan.

Shadow Dragon had a 250K LTD, so they did this despite it being a notably niche series overseas just prior.

orioto

Good Art™
Not surprised about SFV numbers... I'm a SF fan (but not hardcore fan) and i could weirdly feel the hype die month after month.. there is just something not clicking and SFIV had a really mainstream hype based on the revival thing. This one is back to a niche, competitive crowd.

Following up on an old discussion, despite the shambles the 3DS is in, Fire Emblem Fates debuted at over 300K physical + digital in the US in the first three days, up from 180K physical + digital in the debut month for Awakening.

If it shows any respective legs, we could be looking at our newest Japaness series that's very heavily tilted toward the West in sales despite good results in Japan.

What is Fates at in Japan?

One Piece Musou got over 800k afaik, and users like duckroll actually expected sales in the ballpark of 500k units when it was announced.
Is that where this "500K or bust!" talk is coming from? I'm not antagonizing duckroll. I just want to know why that number is being used to determine anything.

Ryng_tolu

Banned

Always said Fates would beat Awakening. :)

Worldwide, Fates will definitively sell >2 million, probabily 2.5 million or more.

Really looking forward to see how Capcom/Sony react to SFV sales, knowing the idiots running Capcom, probably they will panic and never make another fighting game.

Hellraider

These past few years Attack on titan has been the second biggest manga property in popularity second only to One Piece. It would be pretty logical to compare its sales potential to games like One Piece Musou (800k+), Dragon Quest Musou (800k+) Hokuto no Ken Musou (550k+). Admittedly these numbers would be on the high end while on the low end you would have the shitty 3DS game that managed to sell more than 300k.

At some point there definitely was potential for a lot more, just like KanColle Kai. The funny thing is that for the past month or so we have been constantly lowering our expectations and we are now positively suprised by a debut that half a yeah ago would seem crazy.

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
Setsuna doing really better than expected I think. For a game developed in such a short span of time and with such a little budget they must be celebrating in grand style.

Shadow Dragon had a 250K LTD, so they did this despite it being a notably niche series overseas just prior.

That doesn't count discounted purchases of the other route does it?

if so lol I almost want to take a shot at Birthright>SFV for NPD

Ryng_tolu

Banned
~540K, a bit up from Awakening.

Awakening ended up with upwards of 1.2 million shipped in the West.

Isn't this withouth the special edition?

Because if i remember correctly, Media Create separe the special edition which sold >80K first week... with special edition + digital sales, should not be almost 700,000 in Japan?

Bruno MB

[PS4] Street Fighter V # <FTG> (Capcom) {2016.02.18} (¥7.990) - 41.990 / NEW

[PS3] Street Fighter IV <FTG> (Capcom) {2009.02.12} (¥8.390) - 86.075 / NEW <66,93%>
[360] Street Fighter IV <FTG> (Capcom) {2019.02.12} (¥8.390) - 37.782 / NEW <74,24%>

[ALL] Street Fighter IV <FTG> (Capcom) {2009.02.12} (¥8.390) - 123.857 / NEW

[PS3] Super Street Fighter IV <FTG> (Capcom) {2010.04.28} (¥4.990) - 80.882 / NEW <79,89%>
[360] Super Street Fighter IV <FTG> (Capcom) {2010.04.28} (¥4.990) - 28.454 / NEW <80,32%>

[ALL] Super Street Fighter IV <FTG> (Capcom) {2010.04.28} (¥4.990) - 109.336 / NEW

[PS3] Super Street Fighter IV: Arcade Edition <FTG> (Capcom) {2011.06.30} (¥3.990) - 54.924 / NEW <86,03%>
[360] Super Street Fighter IV: Arcade Edition <FTG> (Capcom) {2011.06.30} (¥3.990) - 12.326 / NEW <70,00%>

[ALL] Super Street Fighter IV: Arcade Edition <FTG> (Capcom) {2011.06.30} (¥3.990) - 67.250 / NEW

[PS3] Ultra Street Fighter IV <FTG> (Capcom) {2014.08.07} (¥4.309) - 42.327 / NEW <71,88%>
[360] Ultra Street Fighter IV <FTG> (Capcom) {2014.08.07} (¥4.309) - 2.543 / NEW <80,72%>

[ALL] Ultra Street Fighter IV <FTG> (Capcom) {2014.08.07} (¥4.309) - 44.870 / NEW

Nirolak

Mrgrgr

Because if i remember correctly, Media Create separe the special edition which sold >80K first week... with digital sales, should not be almost 700,000 in Japan?
I think Famitsu (which I cited) counted the special editions as multiple copies and Media Create didn't, but it's hard to look this up on a phone.

Into

Christ SFV!

I know and agree that the whole package is a sham of a product, but i thought it would at least do 100k on name alone.

Because if i remember correctly, Media Create separe the special edition which sold >80K first week... with special edition + digital sales, should not be almost 700,000 in Japan?

No, that's with Famitsu counting the special edition as 2 sales.

Media Create has it significantly lower because the special edition was separated altogether.

also the special edition sold 40k first week (and basically ever)

Fisico

Also regarding Attack on Titan, the 3DS game which, while not being a shovelware, was a decent game at best managed to sell 300k LTD on 3DS only.

The Omega Force title was seemilingly a higher budget effort and was released on every sony platforms (which are supposedly better suited for an AoT game since the IP is not your typical shonen jump manga)

Or at least that's how we saw it at first, but the game is released years after the first anime season was aired and way before the 2nd one so there is probably a problem of timing, or maybe after the first game on 3DS people just didn't want to play the same story in a videogame again etc.

Anyway the game definitely had the potential to be a 500k+ seller, and while not being the bomba expected at some point (I remember Chris expecting lower first week results than Hyrule Warriors) it's still a dissapointment compared to the potential the title had originally.

Kolx

Really looking forward to see how Capcom/Sony react to SFV sales, knowing the idiots running Capcom, probably they will panic and never make another fighting game.

Sony is including SF:V with BO3 bundle in US so that at least could give the game some sales. Still releasing it in this shape was just a stupid move that probably just killed the franchise.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
My impression is that the fighting game/arcade culture is more of a older gamers thing now in Japan, is that correct? Very few known players from there are younger than 30.

Also regarding Attack on Titan, the 3DS game which, while not being a shovelware, was a decent game at best managed to sell 300k LTD on 3DS only.

The Omega Force title was seemilingly a higher budget effort and was released on every sony platforms (which are supposedly better suited for an AoT game since the IP is not your typical shonen jump manga)

Or at least that's how we saw it at first, but the game is released years after the first anime season was aired and way before the 2nd one so there is probably a problem of timing, or maybe after the first game on 3DS people just didn't want to play the same story in a videogame again etc.

Anyway the game definitely had the potential to be a 500k+ seller, and while not being the bomba expected at some point (I remember Chris expecting lower first week results than Hyrule Warriors) it's still a dissapointment compared to the potential the title had originally.

I wonder if they released something to tie-in to the S2 anime down the line reusing a lot of the assets from the first game would do any better.

Top Bottom