• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 8, 2012 (Feb 20 - Feb 26)

So are third party devs freaking out that the hardware and software sales for vita is so bad?
if they aren't, there would have to be some double standard. Third parties were freaking out over 25-26 k per week 3DS sales. This assumes they had any intention to really support vita in the first place.

Celine

Whelp, guess I'll be holding onto my 3DS for Japan support. 3DS outselling the Vita by an average of over 200K a month in slower months. I expect nearly every publisher to jump ship from the Vita to 3DS if this sales trend continues. Going to have to wait 3 years for Sony to get their act together again like it happened with the PSP and PS3.
Japanese publishers are the reason why Nintendo was so aggressive and why Sony launched first in this territory.
They are ideal to produce mid/high-level software for a gaming handheld.

Sadist

So are third party devs freaking out that the hardware and software sales for vita is so bad?
Someone on another forum answered that question with this

82NYZ.jpg

Kazerei

Banned
3DS March lineup is gonna be good

(2012-03-01) Doraemon: Nobita and the Island of Miracles
(2012-03-01) Mario & Sonic at the London Olympic Games
(2012-03-08) Girls RPG Cinderella Life
(2012-03-08) Hatsune Miku and Future Stars Project Mirai
(2012-03-08) Metal Gear Solid Snake Eater 3D
(2012-03-15) If I Were in a Sealed Room With a Girl, I'd Probably XXX
(2012-03-22) Kid Icarus Uprising
(2012-03-22) Pac-Man Party 3D
(2012-03-29) Kingdom Hearts 3D Dream Drop Distance

PS3 is one price drop from catching up with Wii LTD!
PSV is disappointing, why Japanese no want monster handheld? Can PSV play MHP3 backward compatible?

Not if Nintendo drops the Wii price, I think it's still 20,000Y over there. On top of that WiiU and PS4 are coming anytime soon, I doubt PS3 will catch up to it, but it'll get within 3 million I believe, maybe even less than 2 million.

I really expected to see PSV at less than 10k and Wii less than 5k. Wii is actually less embarrassing than Vita's because the Wii sales are over 12mil and it's been out for 5 1/2 years.

Can Sony revive the Vita? The only things I can think off are price drops, ps2/ps2hd/psn/ps1 games playable on it, and moneyhats of big franchises (mh, dq, ff).

Easier said than done though....

enishi said:
Is it the highest first week for Harvest Moon title (at least in portable)?
At least for those PS2/GBA and later, here's the first few weeks.

Those top two are 2007 and 2010 DS games.
JosephManderley said:
All the time the PS2 is still selling around 1k a week, do you think Sony will continue to sell it in Japan? Could we see a situation in the future where Sony are selling PS2/3/4 at the same time? I'd imagine as it is still popular in emerging markets they'll keep making PS2 for a few more years?
PS2 just had its first quarter where they shipped under a million worldwide. So it's got a bit of juice left yet.
longdi said:
PS3 is one price drop from catching up with Wii LTD!
Based on recent performance, if Wii stopped selling completely and PS3 doesn't slow down, it will catch up in ~3 years.

matmanx1

I really don't think that there is much of anything that Sony can do for the Vita in Japan right now. We've discussed this to death already, really, but Sony's studios strengths are typically geared more towards Western tastes.

We've got Unit 13 coming up which actually has a chance for decent sales in the US and Europe yet won't even be a blip on the radar in Japan. Likewise Motorstorm RC next week for the US (is it getting a Japanese release?) which won't be a system seller anywhere but is getting great word of mouth and good reviews as a PSN title. These are the kinds of games Sony does these days for the most part and Japan is just not all that interesred.

So, apart from some surprise announcement that Sony has invested in it's own MH clone or RPG game being developed by a surprise Japanese studio Vita's software (and HW sales ofc) future in Japan is entirely dependent on 3rd parties.

Sony may decide on a small price adjustment or some bundling to help the Vita keep it's head above water but in the short term I think that's about all they can do.

liger05

There is no let up for the Vita. 3DS will have a great March and early April

nickcv

besides KH3D how many of those title can we expect to have great sales?

Man God

Non-Canon Member
There is no let up for the Vita. 3DS will have a great March!!

Worse still, March sort of begins an even bigger lull in Vita releases and they have nothing planned so far for the rest of the year that really shakes the boat.

Remember how Nintendo last year was like, well, we got two Mario games this fall, hold on with OoT 3D and Star Fox?

Vita is like that, only instead of those two its got Persona 4, a port of a much more recent game. Oh and no Mario Kart+Mario game this fall.

jonno394

I expect these all to have at least good week 1 sales.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd

It depends.
What do you mean with great?
In my opinion is a very solid month, in terms of release. Each game has obviously different range potential, but in my opinion the most important thing for a console is exactly to have a wide variety of different games constantly released.

Miku and Kid Icarus. The rest could do well for itself, but I don't expect them to break 100k. Girls RPG is a bit of a wildcard as I'm not sure what the audience for that game really is and how well the original was received. Level 5 lowered the price for that game recently, so maybe they have bigger plans for it than I think.

Kazerei

Banned

Mario & Sonic, Hatsune Miku, and Kid Icarus should do a few hundred thousand each in their lifetimes. I'm not sure about Girls RPG or MGS3D though.

Edit: For reference, LTD sales numbers.
Wii - Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games - 594,157
DS - Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games - 383,655
Wii - Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Winter Games - 194,916
DS - Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Winter Games - 254,341
Wii - Mario & Sonic at the London 2012 Olympic Games - 146,202
PSP - Hatsune Miku: Project Diva - 187,558
PSP - Hatsune Miku: Project Diva 2n - 341,663
PSP - Hatsune Miku: Project Diva Extend - 250,025

Miku and Kid Icarus. The rest could do well for itself, but I don't expect them to break 100k. Girls RPG is a bit of a wildcard as I'm not sure what the audience for that game really is and how well the original was received. Level 5 lowered the price for that game recently, so maybe they have bigger plans for it than I think.
Isn't it a new IP?

I think that also Mario&Sonic and MetalGear could reach the 100K mark, LTD.
Pretty much.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd

I think that also Mario&Sonic and MetalGear could reach the 100K mark, LTD.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I've heard that the Miku demo was pretty popular.

Nintendo is saying all the right things with Kid Icarus, so it might do really, really well. Or it might just do ok.

A lot of the rest of those could be fairly big surprises.

Effect

It'll depend on how it does in the US, but then again this is Capcom they may have thought the game would move 2 million units or something stupid.

Worried about that. I've seen nothing from Capcom regarding the game in the US. Perhaps others have see something else? I do recall in Europe instead of advertising RE:R they put out a trailer and ads for RE6 of all things. Then again that's par for the course with 3rd parties on Nintendo systems. Don't advertise and then complain when games do poorly. :( There is at least the Nintendo 3DS ad that includes RE:R but it shouldn't fall on Nintendo to have to do that.

I think it was a mobile or ROID game.

Snake Eater definitely wont, but Mario & Sonic could do it I guess.
Should be interesting. If Mercenaries could do 100k+, I think MGS should have no problem that at least. It has a pretty hardcore fanbase, it also has a special edition 3DS. Revelations selling well should help it also.

Hatsune Miku could potentially get to 100k over time.
I think 100k debut is more realistic.

nickcv

It depends.
What do you mean with great?
In my opinion is a very solid month, in terms of release. Each game has obviously different range potential, but in my opinion the most important thing for a console is exactly to have a wide variety of different games constantly released.

with great i mean that won't just show up for it first week and then disappear nowhere...

but i think i got my answer from the other posters :D

I've heard that the Miku demo was pretty popular.

Nintendo is saying all the right things with Kid Icarus, so it might do really, really well. Or it might just do ok.

A lot of the rest of those could be fairly big surprises.

none of us knows how it will perform, but we can say for sure that nintendo is trying really hard with kid icarus...

i'm really curious to see how that will turn out.

Should be interesting. If Mercenaries could do 100k+, I think MGS should have no problem that at least. It has a pretty hardcore fanbase, it also has a special edition 3DS.

The MGS Collection didn't reach 100k and that was a much more polished product and a better value proposition as it includes both MGS2 and 3. Snake Eater 3D is an overpriced and shoddy port that will do badly and rightfully so.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
I think it was a mobile or ROID game.

Snake Eater definitely wont, but Mario & Sonic could do it I guess.

I think (just my opinion) that both titles could surprise you.
I mean: I don't think that they will "shine", at all.
But every Mario&Sonic did "well" (from the great first episode to the good last) as Kazerei listed above, so 100K should be a safe bet (in terms of LTD).
And MGS is blamed (with reasons) from a lot of gaffers but it's still a very solid franchise, so that means that could hit the 100K mark, still being a "flop" :p

none of us knows how it will perform, but we can say for sure that nintendo is trying really hard with kid icarus...

i'm really curious to see how that will turn out.

I maintain that we won't know until a week before it releases, just because it's such a different beast. A demo would make me anticipate success. A good advertising campaign that explains the game would increase chances. But we'll have to simply wait and see on how it works out, because for this game, a widespread lack of knowledge is death.

Effect

I am curious how far the "From the creator of the Smash Bros. series" phrase and knowledge will good in regard to Kid Icarus. That series is loved and you can see how Smash has influenced the multiplayer aspect of KI. Do things like that have an impact in Japan?

duckroll

Does anyone know many games have significantly recovered from this situation, and what was their general level of profile (in terms of sales)?

I think this is a pretty solid example. Severely undershipped, but interest remained high and it continued selling out as they restocked in small quantities week after week.

The MGS Collection didn't reach 100k and that was a much more polished product and a better value proposition as it includes both MGS2 and 3. Snake Eater 3D is an overpriced and shoddy port that will do badly and rightfully so.
True, but I think being portable makes the comparison a bit off. People might buy into it, but yeah I think its quality from whats first shown will disappoint alot of people.

I think (just my opinion) that both titles could surprise you.
I mean: I don't think that they will "shine", at all.
But every Mario&Sonic did "well" (from the great first episode to the good last) as Kazerei listed above, so 100K should be a safe bet (in terms of LTD).
And MGS is blamed (with reasons) from a lot of gaffers but it's still a very solid franchise, so that means that could hit the 100K mark, still being a "flop" :p

Yeah well, I wouldn't really be 'surprised' if Mario & Sonic breaks 100k. It could certainly do it as every M&S did it so far. People are getting sick of these games, though, so I don't really expect anything from it.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
I think 100k debut is more realistic.

Yeah. I want it to sell more obviously (points to avatar), but unlike the PSP which had a larger userbase for Project Diva (average around 250k LTD I think?), 3DS is younger and will take longer to establish the audience.

However I loved the demo and my friends in Japan indicate the demo is popular, so I could be wrong (and jump for joy if it does).

duckroll

MGS3D is going to crater. There is literally zero buzz about the game whatsoever. I don't think it's likely that it can even sell 50k in the first week.

Yeah. I want it to sell more obviously (points to avatar), but unlike the PSP which had a larger userbase for Project Diva (average around 250k LTD I think?), 3DS is younger and will take longer to establish the audience.

However I loved the demo and my friends in Japan indicate the demo is popular, so I could be wrong (and jump for joy if it does).
Love Plus is similar enough to Hatsune in fanbase and that had a 100k debut. I think 100k over its lifetime is under crediting it a bit thats all.

It's really not a shoddy port.

As good as the HD collection? Hell no. Serviceable with some improvements and some drawbacks? Hell yeah.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
MGS3D is going to crater. There is literally zero buzz about the game whatsoever. I don't think it's likely that it can even sell 50k in the first week.

With just a little effort this could have been a decent seller, but they screwed it up at basically every level.

Top Bottom