• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 8, 2012 (Feb 20 - Feb 26)

Takao

Banned
Actually, they are selling overpriced memory card, and no backward compatibility.
Region free, or Backward compatibility ?
I think my choice is done.

This has absolutely nothing to do with the conversation at hand, but okay. The conversation was about how interest in Miku 3DS wasn't very high on this forum, and I pegged that partially because it's a niche of a niche here, and one of the people who does care about it lamented about the fact they wouldn't be able to play it due to region locking, which I then tried to say I felt their pain. Yeah, I took a shot at Nintendo there, but that's one they do deserve. It's a recent change they made, and quite a baffling one.

Jomjom

Banned
Dat PSP lighting up the software charts

Gravity Daze :(

Totallly agree that PSV should have released in Japan last, PSP is still moving software to be a viable new purchase for consumers, PSV looks pretty unappealing in this way

Oh well, I'm sure the fortunes will change once more software is revealed

Yeah maybe if Nintendo decides to go 3rd partyand releases Mario and Mario Kart for the PSV.

I wish this would happen, the PSV needs to thrive! The 3DS already looks like a dinosaur compared to the PSV.

This had absolutely nothing to do with the conversation at hand, but okay. The conversation was about how interest in Miku 3DS wasn't very high on this forum, and I pegged that partially because it's a niche of a niche here, and one of the people who does care about it lamented about the fact they wouldn't be able to play it due to region locking, which I then tried to say I felt their pain.

For sure, but I wanted to annoy you :p

VAPitts

Yeah maybe if Nintendo decides to go 3rd partyand releases Mario and Mario Kart for the PSV.

I wish this would happen, the PSV needs to thrive! The 3DS already looks like a dinosaur compared to the PSV.

how about Sony just make their own freakin games that can sell?

@duckroll
b4 u think i'm trolling i meant that in the same light as saying they need to develop more impactful IP's. i'm not bashing them.

It's not hard to see why the PSV is struggling in Japan. The PSP is still very strong. The market is very different in North America. Should make for an interesting comparison come NDP time.

Is this Harvest Moon really better than prior entries? I haven't played one since AWL, which I did enjoy, but I think I'm ready to try another.

Is it just the customization shit that's making the difference?

Is this Harvest Moon really better than prior entries? I haven't played one since AWL, which I did enjoy, but I think I'm ready to try another.

Is it just the customization shit that's making the difference?

Id like to know this as well. Im a huge Rune Factory fan and was going to hold out for that but these numbers kinda piqued my interest as well!

Takao

Banned
It's not hard to see why the PSV is struggling in Japan. The PSP is still very strong. The market is very different in North America. Should make for an interesting comparison come NDP time.

PSP's livelihood doesn't hurt Vita as much as a lacking software lineup does. There is no sure thing on Vita that'll guarantee x amount of units sold. Worse off is the fact that many of the franchises that are sure things in the industry, like Monster Hunter, and Dragon Quest have already cemented themselves on 3DS. Sony's going to need to do something to make Vita actually mean life. Maybe this means launching their own desperate Pokemon clone (I really think they should've helped out Level-5 with LBX in this regard), or maybe it means promising to get SCEA to publish third party titles in the west.

Id like to know this as well. Im a huge Rune Factory fan and was going to hold out for that but these numbers kinda piqued my interest as well!

It does look good. Clearly built from the ground up for the system. If reviews bear it out, I think I'll give it a shot when it gets localized.

PSP's livelihood doesn't hurt Vita as much as a lacking software lineup does. There is no sure thing on Vita that'll guarantee x amount of units sold. Worse off is the fact that many of the franchises that are sure things in the industry, like Monster Hunter, and Dragon Quest have already cemented themselves on 3DS. Sony's going to need to do something to make Vita actually mean life. Maybe this means launching their own desperate Pokemon clone (I really think they should've helped out Level-5 with LBX in this regard), or maybe it means promising to get SCEA to publish third party titles in the west.
At some point I think we're going to have to accept that Sony is not going to aim for dramatic flourishes like Nintendo did. Vita will survive on a trickle of sales with ports, parallel development with PS3, and the occasional low key original title.

After enough time it'll get a big enough userbase to justify Monster Hunter 4G or something.

nickcv

The PS3 had a lot competition in the begining from the Wii. During the two first years, the PS3 only outsold the Wii for 4 weeks. But yeah, most of the bigger 3rd party support contunied to be made for the PS3 and Xbox 360 instead, that is true.

In 2010 and 2011, the PSP have seen at least equally good support as the Nintendo platforms (in terms of numbers of games released, the PSP actually saw the most releases). In these days, most support is towards the 3DS, no question about that, but history shows that nothing is set in stone in the begining of a console lifecycle.

i agree with you, my point is that you cannot take as an evidence that the psvita will recover because of what happened to the ps3 in japan.

the ps3 in japan had almost all the 3rd party support available against the wii, and that's not something that is going to happen with the 3DS.
will vita have exclusive titles? damn sure!
will vita have great games that differentiate it from its competitor? you can bet on that
will the 3DS be almost forgotten or an afterthought for most 3rd parties just like happened to the wii? not a chance

Takao

Banned
At some point I think we're going to have to accept that Sony is not going to aim for dramatic flourishes like Nintendo did. Vita will survive on a trickle of sales with ports, parallel development with PS3, and the occasional low key original title.

After enough time it'll get a big enough userbase to justify Monster Hunter 4G or something.

There's a difference between saying you finished second in a two man race, and saying you finished last. The result is still the same; you didn't win the race, but one makes it seem like you at least tried. Since the 3DS price cut I've assumed Sony was interested in finishing second. The PSP kind of second. The environment you're describing has more in common with the 360 than PSP. I've never worked for Sony, and probably never will but I safely say that's likely not their end goal for Vita.

As for Monster Hunter, I've said it like a kajillion times at this point. If it's a traditional Monster Hunter that just uses up-ressed 3DS and PSP junk after both TriG, and 4 the only one who'll benefit is Capcom. That won't move hardware.

Busaiku

Great to see Harvest Moon doing so well and hopefully it'll have the legs the series is known for.
Can't wait till Natsume gets it over here.

There's a difference between saying you finished second in a two man race, and saying you finished last. The result is still the same; you didn't win the race, but one makes it seem like you at least tried. Since the 3DS price cut I've assumed Sony was interested in finishing second. The PSP kind of second. The environment you're describing has more in common with the 360 than PSP. I've never worked for Sony, and probably never will but I safely say that's likely not their end goal for Vita.

Their end goal is profitability, and the scenario I outlined would probably allow them to turn a modest profit if they get hardware costs down fast enough.

It does look good. Clearly built from the ground up for the system. If reviews bear it out, I think I'll give it a shot when it gets localized.

I think that this is overly optimistic, and that the multi-year-trickle scenario is more likely to lead to Sony exiting the dedicated handheld business late next year or in 2014 than to Japanese publishers deciding to give it major exclusives after the user base crawls to a certain level. Hardware profitability requires the hardware to actually sell and not sit around in a warehouse, after all.

I think that this is overly optimistic, and that the multi-year-trickle scenario is more likely to lead to Sony exiting the dedicated handheld business late next year or in 2014 than to Japanese publishers deciding to give it major exclusives after the user base crawls to a certain level. Hardware profitability requires the hardware to actually sell and not sit around in a warehouse, after all.

I expect it to follow a similar trajectory to the Gamecube. I doubt it'll be discontinued.

FoneBone

I expect it to follow a similar trajectory to the Gamecube. I doubt it'll be discontinued.

I don't think it's going to be discontinued, but I think it's most likely to subsist on smaller games that can move a couple hundred thousand units. I don't see those AAA games materializing because of some slow trickle.

I don't think it's likely to be discontinued, to be clear. I just think that, assuming it continues to sell poorly throughout the year and well into 2013, the Dreamcast scenario is more likely than any dramatic resurgence of Japanese third-party support in 2014 or 2015.

I don't think it's likely to be discontinued, to be clear. I just think that, assuming it continues to sell poorly throughout the year and well into 2013, the Dreamcast scenario is more likely than any dramatic resurgence of Japanese third-party support in 2014 or 2015.

My entire point is not to expect dramatic support. MH4G would not be a particularly strenuous undertaking for Capcom so I used that as a possible example of a bone the system might be thrown in the long term.

test_account

XP-39C²
i agree with you, my point is that you cannot take as an evidence that the psvita will recover because of what happened to the ps3 in japan.

the ps3 in japan had almost all the 3rd party support available against the wii, and that's not something that is going to happen with the 3DS.
will vita have exclusive titles? damn sure!
will vita have great games that differentiate it from its competitor? you can bet on that
will the 3DS be almost forgotten or an afterthought for most 3rd parties just like happened to the wii? not a chance
I understand. And i agree with that. If anything changes, the situation will most likely be closer to what happened to the DS/PSP instead of the PS3/Wii indeed.

I actually think this is Nintendo plan for the next generation !! but doesn't this apply to Japan only ? :/

Not just Japan, but I think Japan's the region where will be easiest to pull off. I can see Nintendo netting a lot of similar core oriented stuff for Wii U as they did on 3DS (Musou, Biohazard, Kingdom Hearts, DOA, Ridge Racer, Street Fighter, Tales, etc). What they've gotten so far (Dragon Quest, Tekken, Ninja Gaiden) probably paints a good picture of what to expect.

frostbyte

Wow at that HM number. Wonder how that'll compare to Rune Factory 4 later.

Vita numbers seriously depressing. Where are the third parties when you need them? :(

It's unlikely that the Vita would be discontinued like the Dreamcast. I could see a continual depression like the Gamecube but I seriously doubt Sony's doing nothing to remedy the lack of software. Come E3/TGS, I'm sure there'll be more Japanese titles announced. I wouldn't count on any more western titles being announced. CoD, AC, and Bioshock Vita seems to still be nothing but vapourware at this point.

I could see a continual depression like the Gamecube but I seriously doubt Sony's doing nothing to remedy the lack of software. Come E3/TGS, I'm sure there'll be more Japanese titles announced. I wouldn't count on any more western titles being announced.

What games, exactly, could they possibly announce that would dramatically change their fortunes?

My entire point is not to expect dramatic support. MH4G would not be a particularly strenuous undertaking for Capcom so I used that as a possible example of a bone the system might be thrown in the long term.

Well, in that scenario, Capcom would be forsaking (or at least splitting, if you're suggesting a multiplatform release) the fanbase of an enormously popular franchise by putting it on a much less successful platform. I'd call that pretty dramatic, regardless of the budget involved.

What games, exactly, could they possibly announce that would dramatically change their fortunes?

Sony needs to push hard to get secondary PSP success stories on Vita (and not 3DS). Stuff like PSPortable, God Eater, Project Diva, Dissidia, Gundam Vs, Radiant Mythology, LBX, etc. The longer they wait or this takes, the less likely this gets.

Well, in that scenario, Capcom would be forsaking (or at least splitting, if you're suggesting a multiplatform release) the fanbase of an enormously popular franchise by putting it on a much less successful platform. I'd call that pretty dramatic, regardless of the budget involved.

I think this fear of splitting the fanbase is somewhat overblown. The vast majority of people in Japan who have a PSP probably also have a DS, and I expect a similar outcome with the current generation. People aren't going to be restricted to just one or the other.

Sony needs to push hard to get secondary PSP success stories on Vita (and not 3DS). Stuff like PSPortable, God Eater, Project Diva, Dissidia, Gundam Vs, Radiant Mythology, etc. The longer they wait or this takes, the less likely this gets.
I don't see any of those making a dramatic difference. How did Duodecim do anyway? Wasn't it a disappointment?

I think this fear of splitting the fanbase is somewhat overblown. The vast majority of people in Japan who have a PSP probably also have a DS, and I expect a similar outcome with the current generation. People aren't going to be restricted to just one or the other.
The problem is compatibility. MH thrives off local co-op, compatibility becomes a key issue there potentially.

I don't see any of those making a dramatic difference. How did Duodecim do anyway? Wasn't it a disappointment?
Probably not individually, but as an overall lineup I think they'd help immensely. The only singular silver bullet game that could help Vita already jumped ship for 3DS (MH3G/4).

frostbyte

Sony needs to push hard to get secondary PSP success stories on Vita (and not 3DS). Stuff like PSPortable, God Eater, Project Diva, Dissidia, Gundam Vs, Radiant Mythology, LBX, etc. The longer they wait or this takes, the less likely this gets.

Yeah, something like a string of 3rd party PSP exclusives added with a Final Fantasy Type-1 in development would be more encouraging than the barren wasteland the Vita upcoming releases looks like. It's really quite depressing when the biggest title coming is a port (P4G).

And on the topic of Persona, I'd expect a multiplat release/port of P5 sooner or later, when it releases.

saichi

The problem is PSP is not very strong either. Combined PSP and PSV this year is less than PSP sold last year in the same time frame.

if you're referring to the vita, it is as backwards compatible as it can possibly be.

I don't think getting customers to pay again for games they already owned on UMD is the kind of backward compatibility people expected. And that is if Sony offers the means in your region.

Okay I just went and looked at some Rune Factory 4 screenshots.

Is it just me, or do the graphics look terrible compared to Harvest Moon TLO? It looks like a DS up port. What gives?

rockx4

The problem is PSP is not very strong either. Combined PSP and PSV this year is less than PSP sold last year in the same time frame.

I don't think getting customers to pay again for games they already owned on UMD is the kind of backward compatibility people expected. And that is if Sony offers the means in your region.

I agree, for me Vita's BC is like calling the Wii's virtual console backwards compatibility. If limited selection and paying for all the games you've already purchased once is BC, then sure.

guek

Banned
Wow at harvest moon. Good stuff. Like others have said, I'm surprised love + dropped so sharply. What's the usual LTD on those games?

3DS is doing great and all, but I can't help but wonder what's going through iwata's head when he sees those appalling Wii numbers. The successor to the throne isn't due for around another 6 months...

And Vita! The handheld that's apparently God's gift to gamers. It's going to be a sad day for many when it dips bellow 10k. I have to ask a similar question and wonder what's going through Kaz's mind when he sees those numbers.

BadWolf

Wow at harvest moon. Good stuff. Like others have said, I'm surprised love + dropped so sharply. What's the usual LTD on those games?

3DS is doing great and all, but I can't help but wonder what's going through iwata's head when he sees those appalling Wii numbers. The successor to the throne isn't due for around another 6 months...

And Vita! The handheld that's apparently God's gift to gamers. It's going to be a sad day for many when it dips bellow 10k. I have to ask a similar question and wonder what's going through Kaz's mind when he sees those numbers.

"Buckle up for GDC/E3 bitches!"

I hope

test_account

XP-39C²
I agree, for me Vita's BC is like calling the Wii's virtual console backwards compatibility. If limited selection and paying for all the games you've already purchased once is BC, then sure.
The difference here is that all the system that are for Wii VC only excisted as physical copies. If you bought NES or SNES games back in the days, it is not possible to play these on the Wii without rebuying the games (unless you hack the Wii of course and dump your own NES and SNES games).

This also applies to UMD games indeed, but the difference is that it was (and still is) also possible to originally buy PSP games through the PS Store. These games will also work on the Vita. Or in other words, you can say that digital downloaded PSP games are backward compability on the Vita =)

Takao

Banned

"Not my problem"

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
04./00. [PSP] I Don't Have Many Friends Portable # <ADV> (Bandai Namco Games) {2012.02.23} (¥6.800) - 56.969 / NEW

GAF: The Game?

Gravijah

Okay I just went and looked at some Rune Factory 4 screenshots.

Is it just me, or do the graphics look terrible compared to Harvest Moon TLO? It looks like a DS up port. What gives?

i dunno but it's rune factory which means it is guaranteed to be better.

...and probably is an up port.

Top Bottom