• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 8, 2013 (Feb 18 - Feb 24)

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Every week the same Wii U comments come. It's really getting repetitive.

Nintendo knows there's an issue, they're doing everything they can to fix it. They warned us that there would be a gap. Complaining won't do a thing, they can't just rush games out. We know when things should start turning around.

It's not getting any worse each week, it's exactly how we figured it'd be

What is really getting repetitive is hearing every week that the miracle turnaround is certainly coming when Nintendo releases the big guns. I hope the guns have bullets.

JoeM86

What is really getting repetitive is hearing every week that the miracle turnaround is certainly coming when Nintendo releases the big guns. I hope the guns have bullets.

It's not that it's a guarantee, it could still bomb despite Nintendo's core titles.

Then I wonder what they've been doing all this time, I mean they already showed the system in 2011. They completely abandoned the Wii after Skyward Sword. Did they invest all their resources in the 3DS?

Maybe they should expand, they seem to be too small a company to fully support multiple systems.

I've thought about them expanding before and saw it as very necessary but theres been huge restructures at all their development houses. So we'll see what this does.

Plus I think the cooperation with devs/pubs is a cheaper and less risky way to produce more games; so generally I think their on the right line.

This is a paraphrased interview from the Twitter guy.

"It's a plus that people think Soul Sacrifice is copying Monster Hunter. Because they have an interest in the title. We took the good parts from MH, but you will feel the differences when you play. Because we know you will see the difference, we have confidently taken the good parts from MH. You'll understand when you play."

Also

"The reason that real software isn't coming out for Vita is because business men are making all the decisions. If you are a creator, there is no question you would choose to make games for Vita. Because that is where the real interesting stuff is. If the games are interesting, the hardware will sell."

Seems reasonable.

This should have been Wii U's first party release schedule

Jan: Wario & Game
Feb: Pikmin 3
March: Wonderful 101
April: Wii U Fit
May: Nintendo Direct announcing new games and dates

Instead we get
Jan: nothing
Feb: nothing
March: Game & Wario
April: Nothing
May: Nintendo direct announcing dates for Pikmin 3, Wonderful 101 and Wii U Fit

Amazing

Spiegel

"It's a plus that people think Soul Sacrifice is copying Monster Hunter. Because they have an interest in the title. We took the good parts from MH, but you will feel the differences when you play. Because we know you will see the difference, we have confidently taken the good parts from MH. You'll understand when you play."

Also

"The reason that real software isn't coming out for Vita is because business men are making all the decisions. If you are a creator, there is no question you would choose to make games for Vita. Because that is where the real interesting stuff is. If the games are interesting, the hardware will sell."

That's being a douchebag?

JoeM86

Gamecube: Dundun

DS: Games came, sales followed.
3DS: Price dropped, games came, sales folowed.

Wii was an anomaly in that it had something from the start.

Exactly. Nintendo is very seldom fast out the gate. Their game droughts have been worse in the past too. We're just in the culture of instant gratification. We want the stuff, and we want it now. If we don't have it, it either doesn't exist or it won't fix things.

We just need patience.

My point is that people are complaining about these things every week acting as if Nintendo has suddenly pulled something to attempt to swing it that week and has failed. We knew this gap would be hard, and that sales would dry up, but people are just acting like it's a massive shock.

Instead we get

Amazing

I wouldn't say nothing for April, yet. I believe that was the plan anyway, but then the games got delayed.

Seems reasonable.

It sounds very arrogant in Japanese, anyway.

That's being a douchebag?

For a man who's also got his 'creator' fingers in a 3DS game pie? It sounds a little hypocritical. Not to mention that he's designed a game that steals the good bits from a series that the platform lost exclusivity to. Sounds more businessman than creator to me. And, again, sounds arrogant in Japanese. Could just be twitter guy, but from what I've read about and from Inafune in the past, I doubt it.

Instead we get

Amazing

Nothing in April is not confirmed yet. There's still time. And hope. And dreams.

DaBoss

The first sentence makes sense, the rest is just assumptions. Just because people think Y game is copying X game doesn't mean that everyone who thinks that will have interest in Y game. The bolded sounds a bit douche-y.

Also

This makes sense, but he comes off a bit brash.

Nintendo needs to fund and moneyhat more exclusives or at least SAVE dead games ala Bayonetta 2.

Like Cry On by Mistwalker and MarvelousAQL, looked like a quality, ambitious JRPG, throw dat money towards them Nintendo. And go the Lego route and do exclusives, Sonic Adventure 3 would be damn good.

These would help fill the void while Nintendo adjusts to HD development.

Also

Where's the douchebag part?

BadWolf

Also

Doesn't come of as a douchebag at all, just says it as it is. They took what they thought was good about the genre and gave it their own spin.

To clarify my "douche bag" comments:

For a man who's also got his 'creator' fingers in a 3DS game pie? The talk about 'creators' always and undoubtedly choosing Vita sounds hypocritical.

Not to mention that, by his own admission, he's designed a game that steals the good bits from a series that the platform lost exclusivity to. Sounds more businessman than creator to me. And, again, the way it's worded sounds quite arrogant to me in the Japanese, but it could just be twitter guy, but from what I've read about and from Inafune in the past, I doubt it.

SmokyDave

This quote thoroughly warms my cockles. Let's hope the 'business men' come around.

test_account

XP-39C²
For a man who's also got his 'creator' fingers in a 3DS game pie? It sounds a little hypocritical. Not to mention that he's designed a game that steals the good bits from a series that the platform lost exclusivity to. Sounds more businessman than creator to me. And, again, sounds arrogant in Japanese. Could just be twitter guy, but from what I've read about and from Inafune in the past, I doubt it.
"Stealing", or being inspired by, stuff from other popular games has always been done though. No one can invent the wheel over again all the time, nor is it any need to do it either. A lot of games in a same genre "steals" from eachother, but try to make their own stuff or spin on it, trying to distinct it from the other games.

Look at Wii's launch and early 2007 1st party lineup in Japan and compare it to the shitshow we have here.
It's definitely better, but not really too far better in terms of the actual content imo. Wii really benefitted from a much easier generational transition, essentially being an overclocked Gamecube. Pretty much all it's early "deeper" titles (Zelda, FE, SPM, etc) were clear GCN games originally with pointer or waggle tacked on and the original motion developed titles were a lot simpler than Nintendo Land. Had all the intended "launch window" titles made it (Lego City, Wii Fit U, Pikmin 3, W101, Panorama View, possibly Rayman Legends) I think Wii U definitely would've had the edge.

Wii Q4 2006 + Q1 2007
12.02.06 The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess (EAD)
12.02.06 Wario Ware: Smooth Moves (SPD/Intelligent Systems)
12.02.06 Wii Play (EAD)
12.02.06 Wii Sports (EAD)
12.14.06 Pokémon Battle Revolution (Genius Sonority)
01.18.07 Excite Truck (Monster Games)
02.22.07 Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn (Intelligent Systems)
03.08.07 Eyeshield 21: Field Saikyou no Senshi Tachi (Eighting)

Wii U Q4 2012 + Q1 2013
12.08.12 New Super Mario Bros. U (EAD)
12.08.12 Nintendo Land (EAD)
12.08.12 Nintendo X Joysound: Wii Karaoke U (NdCube/Tose)
02.07.13 Wii Street U (Google)
03.28.13 Game & Wario (SPD/Intelligent Systems)

BadWolf

"Stealing", or being inspired by, stuff from other popular games has always been done though. No one can invent the wheel over again all the time, nor is it any need to do it either. A lot of games in the same genre "steals" from eachother, but try to make their own stuff or spin on it, trying to distinct it from the other games.

Yep, and didn't MH take inspiration from PSO?

I have to admit, I'm not quite clear what he's saying in the bolded sentence. Is it just that he prefers the Vita hardware, or that he's putting down the 3DS library? Or both?

"Stealing", or being inspired by, stuff from other popular games has always been done though. No one can invent the wheel over again all the time.

And maybe I'm just cynical, but I think Soul Sacrifice's design has very little to do with 'creativity' or 'inspiration' and everything to do with business. Which is why I think, at the very least, Inafune is being disingenuous with what he says.

I have to admit, I'm not quite clear what he's saying in the bolded sentence. Is it just that he prefers the Vita hardware, or that he's putting down the 3DS library? Or both?

"A real creator will create games for Vita because it is the more interesting platform for them to develop for [ compared to 3DS]"

...aaaaaaaaand, bed time

I wonder if Nintendo honestly thought that they could sell any reasonable numbers of WiiU with this meager lineup, the fumes of the Wii must've been extremely toxic.

NSMBU might become the worst selling new Mario Game ever.

Taker666

Be glad we're in the west..Japan doesn't even have any eshop exclusive content for the WiiU yet.

Hopefully the end of March will mark the beginning of a more constant string of releases in Japan.

I still don't understand the complete lack of Japanese 3rd party content (I dislike the late ports of western games but at least it's something). You'd think they'd throw a few easy bones in the WiiU's direction..even if they were just HD versions of Wii games or upgraded 3DS games. ..or even stuff like the HD Phoenix Wright trilogy. Strange.

DaBoss

I wonder if Nintendo honestly thought that they could sell any reasonable numbers of WiiU with this meager lineup, the fumes of the Wii must've been extremely toxic.

NSMBU might become the worst selling new Mario Game ever.

No, but they definitely thought that the lineup where TW101 and Pikmin 3 would be in the launch lineup.

And for your NSMBU comment, would you hold on to that and wait 5-6 years later? :p

duckroll

To clarify my "douche bag" comments:

For a man who's also got his 'creator' fingers in a 3DS game pie? The talk about 'creators' always and undoubtedly choosing Vita sounds hypocritical.

Not to mention that, by his own admission, he's designed a game that steals the good bits from a series that the platform lost exclusivity to. Sounds more businessman than creator to me. And, again, the way it's worded sounds quite arrogant to me in the Japanese, but it could just be twitter guy, but from what I've read about and from Inafune in the past, I doubt it.

Kamiya agrees with you. :)

Sort of? MH and PSO really aren't much alike at all if you play them, the similarities are pretty superficial. They're technically not even in the same genre (Survival Hunting vs Action RPG) though the dustinction there is kinda loose. PSO itself is really just a Diablo clone, I don't think anyone would say the same of MH.

test_account

XP-39C²
I'm not sure, but i've heard some mentioning of this before.

And maybe I'm just cynical, but I think Soul Sacrifice's design has very little to do with 'creativity' or 'inspiration' and everything to do with business. Which is why I think, at the very least, Inafune is being disingenuous with what he says.
Well, there is an element of business in it too, i'm pretty sure of that indeed. But that goes for pretty much all bigger budget games today however (maybe smaller budget games as well, but especially for bigger budget games). It can be extremely risky just making a game that one want to make, not thinking anything about the sale potential. If Inafune wanted to make a game in the hunting genre, Monster Hunter is a good source for inspiration since it the game that most people have enjoyed :)

I see what you mean with Inafune might sound a bit arrogant with those quotes though. I'm not sure if it is his intentions, but what he said could be understood in different ways.

deviljho

"Stealing", or being inspired by, stuff from other popular games has always been done though. No one can invent the wheel over again all the time, nor is it any need to do it either. A lot of games in a same genre "steals" from eachother, but try to make their own stuff or spin on it, trying to distinct it from the other games.

It's the way he does it. The existence of the game solely based on the success of the monster hunter franchise, which no longer exists on sony platforms. It exists because they want money.

So then he comes out trying to distinguish businessmen and creative people in an attempt to downplay the lack of software on the vita, claiming that the vita is "where it's at" for creative people.

And wraps this up in a neat little bow talking about how he copied the good things from monster hunters. Even if he did copy monster hunter, talking about it is just silly. Why? Because this is about money, but he already drew a line between "businessmen" and "creators." You want to say "oh he's doing PR," that's fine... but he's still being a dick.

Well, there is an element of business in it too, i'm pretty sure of that indeed. But that goes for pretty much all bigger budget games today however (maybe smaller budget games as well, but especially for bigger budget games). It can be extremely risky just making a game that one want to make, not thinking anything about the sale potential. If Inafune wanted to make a game in the hunting genre, Monster Hunter is a good source for inspiration since it the game that most people have enjoyed :)

"If Inafune wanted to make a game in the hunting genre..." vs. Sony wants money

They are making a copycat game because the Vita can't get no monster hunter. That's fine, but they should shut the fuck up about copying it and then calling out who the "businessmen" are and who the "creators" are.

神谷英樹 Hideki Kamiya ‏@PG_kamiya

He's a business man. Not a creator. RT @Sylverstone14: Are you a fan of Keiji Inafune's work?

Yeah, I suspect it wasn't even greenlit before SCE found out they had lost Monster Hunter.

...Not that that's a terrible, scandalous thing or anything. It makes sense.

DashReindeer

Lead Community Manager, Outpost Games

May: Nintendo Direct announcing new games and dates

Instead we get
May: Nintendo direct announcing dates for Pikmin 3, Wonderful 101 and Wii U Fit

Amazing

Yep. Nintendo dropped the ball in a way they promised they wouldn't. I'm actually getting worried this gen is gonna be even harder on them than we can imagine. Looking like the transitions to HD development was much harder than they anticipated.

No, but they definitely thought that the lineup where TW101 and Pikmin 3 would be in the launch lineup.

And for your NSMBU comment, would you hold on to that and wait 5-6 years later? :p

Even if sales pick up immensely (highly unlikely) I doubt that NSMBU will get much traction. It's going to be a very long climb to 2 million. It was supposed to sell as a launch game, but completely failed to pull in a decent crowd.
The NSMB games sell on a huge install base, but they obviously don't sell consoles anymore.

JoeM86

Did Nintendo expect Japanese 3rd parties to fill in the games for Q1 but didn’t manage to get them on board?

Pretty much. Before launch, he mentioned that Q1 would be empty for first party software, but said it'd be filled with third party software. That ended well :p

BlackJace

What, do you think it'll get worse? There's no where to go but up, and history has shown that consoles pick up when quality software releases.

I think we'll see Wii Fit U in April. Lego City might get a quick localization too and make Q2.

Pikmin 3 is probably June-ish, W101 after that.

Wii Party U in July maybe?

Mondriaan

Yeah, I suspect it wasn't even greenlit before SCE found out they had lost Monster Hunter.

...Not that that's a terrible, scandalous thing or anything. It makes sense.
How much time has it been between seeing Capcom demo MH on a Vita and the release date of Soul Sacrifice? It either means that developing for Vita is super easy (which in itself would be good news) or it means that SS has been cooking for longer than you're giving them credit for.

duckroll

was it, lol, remarkable how right he's been proved then

If it's the truth, then it's the truth. No amount of time will change that really. Inafune likes to present himself as a game creator because it's a brand name in a way. It's good for his business to be perceived as something other than a business man I guess.

Also

I fail to see the douche.

How much time has it been between seeing Capcom demo MH on a Vita and the release date of Soul Sacrifice? It either means that developing for Vita is super easy (which in itself would be good news) or it means that SS has been cooking for longer than you're giving them credit for.

Eh...wasn't that 'demo' just the PSP MHP3 running on the Vita?

zroid

Banned
I can definitely understand how Inafune's comments about taking the "good parts" from Monster Hunter might sound arrogant. It implies he left out the bad parts, which is kind of an assy thing to say, professionally. Especially when he's admitting they borrowed elements from MH and is intentionally drawing comparisons to put his game in a more attractive light.

A more professionally courteous statement might have been to say they adapted certain parts of MH to create a game that feels similar, yet different.

if we assume that SS was greenlit in september 2011 (when monhun seemingly went 3ds exclusive) that gives SS three times the dev time of COD declassified

I imagine Sony found out about MH a few months before Nintendo made the announcement in September 2011, possibly around the time that MHP3HD Vita was cancelled. It would mean a development time of less than two years, but I don't think that's impossible.

if we assume that SS was greenlit in september 2010 (when monhun seemingly went 3ds exclusive) that gives SS three times the dev time of COD declassified

I personally doubt Sony was aware as early as 2010, but it's possible.

Top Bottom