• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 8, 2013 (Feb 18 - Feb 24)

Sandfox

You'd think it right? And they're staying silent as fuck. They're not even adding OS features, releasing the MiiVerse phone app or anything to make the system feel alive. It's like they've abandoned it.
Which is fine, I'll abandon it too if they don't get their shit together.

They've already announced updates so I doubt they want to do anything else with the OS until then.

donny2112

Because that series is probably dead now? Or at least won't be sold at retail again.

The only reason there's a third one is because Dr. Kawashima asked Nintendo to create some software for the Japanese 2010 Winter Olympics team. It seems to be like Mother games and Itoi. Itoi decides there's another Mother game and not Nintendo. Nintendo likewise doesn't just push out a new Brain Age without Dr. Kawashima initiating it.

That said, the third Brain Age is really great, even if the sales don't/won't reflect my own personal opinion on it. Really, really worth it, for me.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Amazing Rising sales. Wow.

Wii U...below 10k and Nintendo right now has zero games announced for April and one game past that- Revelations.

I would have thought the one market Nintendo would have their shit together would be Japan. Appears not.
You'd think it right? And they're staying silent as fuck.

Well, here is what I said back on January 30th:

Biggest question right now, IMO: where the hell is the Japanese third-party support, aside from MH and DQ?

If that picture improves significantly soon - like, next Nintendo Direct soon - it has a shot at doing reasonably well there. If not, it may not fare much better than GC.
The silence so far has been pretty deafening, but I am willing to give them one more Nintendo Direct.

I mean both of the other next-gen consoles are rumored to be unveiled by GDC, and the end of February (do they still do Nintendo Directs monthly?) would be the last time they can show off third party support before the other two start playing their hands.

If they don't want to do that by then, it doesn't speak greatly to their support actually existing.

It's February 27th, and we still have nothing.

About how long do Japanese games get announced in advance? There's not really time left for anything to be announced for April, is there?

Sandfox

It becomes more apparent by the day.

Either Nintendo stages an unprecedented comeback this holiday worldwide, or he's gone, along with any future home console plans from Nintendo.

Even if the Wii U ends up losing them money Nintendo would still make another console.

That really puts things into perspective.
If you take the current market situation, price, and lack of current game lineup into perspective

Of course most of our responses is just beating a new horse. Wii U won't pick up significantly until the games hit. It will be the same situation next week......

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
It becomes more apparent by the day.

Either Nintendo stages an unprecedented comeback this holiday worldwide, or he's gone, along with any future home console plans from Nintendo.

This is false.

As Pachter said, they can afford to bleed money like this for decades before changes like that need to be made.

AniHawk

I wonder if Nintendo is finally going to use the billions of dollars they have saved up to actually get content on the consoles, and build more western and japanese 1st party studios, or are they content to have minimal 3rd party support and massive droughts in between 1st party games

they'll do that- the suffocation thing.

it's going to be fascinating to watch, because nintendo really has nothing to dramatically turn the system around, and third parties in america, europe, and japan have no interest in putting anything out on it. at least tecmo-koei puts out a port of atelier whatever for the vita.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
you think they'd go handheld only?

I've only rarely heard that mentioned before....

While I don't think they will do it, I do feel it would be interesting to see how far they could push a handheld system if they put the entirety of their resources into supporting it.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Well, here is what I said back on January 30th:

It's February 27th, and we still have nothing.

About how long do Japanese games get announced in advance? There's not really time left for anything to be announced for April, is there?

2 months is usually the minimum. It's technically possible we could see an announcement this week, but far more likely any new announcements are for May and onward.

The really perplexing thing to me is Nintendo not releasing anything in April, which looks likelier by the day. It's illogical.

Hero

Wow, really good for Platinum. Never would've imagined MGR would have done so well.

Nintendo deserves the shit sales for Wii U. What a bunch of arrogance (or ignorance) on expecting the launch line-up to carry you for three months into the new year with practically no new software releases.

Sandfox

If Nintendo could get just at least one exclusive(or big name game) out a month after this drought ends I would be content.

Wow, really good for Platinum. Never would've imagined MGR would have done so well.

Nintendo deserves the shit sales for Wii U. What a bunch of arrogance (or ignorance) on expecting the launch line-up to carry you for three months into the new year with practically no new software releases.

They didn't plan the drought lol

Afrit

Well this raises the question. Do these developers truly love making handheld games or only they only making handheld games because the market wants that? If that's the case than trying to brush it off as businessman making the decisions is ridiculous because otherwise Soul Sacrifice would be a PS3 game to begin with. In fact, Soul Sacrifice only exists because Sony was in need of business. You can't be a freaking first party developer calling out other people on making business decisions because your entire game is one.

Edit: Also i'd just like to say that 95% developers aren't making these games purely for the fun of it.

of course it's not for pure fun.
But having fun & doing business is the way I like it, at least for me.

Like trying to find the middle spot to satisfy both sides.

If Sony spreads out Vita games nicely I think the Vita can maintain +10K sales throughout the year. The heavy hitters are gonna be PSO2, God Eater 2, and FFX. And yes, I don't think Soul Sacrifice will help Vita that much.

This is false.

As Pachter said, they can afford to bleed money like this for decades before changes like that need to be made.

Just because they can, doesn't mean they will.

I reckon if the Wii U fails to pick up we'll see the convergence strategy come to fruition in a few years.

Watching Nintendo turn up to E3 with just the same ol' franchises is gonna feel weird. God hoping Retro has got the chance to make something new at least, or thats gonna be a groan louder than "Oh its Killzone 4".

Not even. Show the next 3D Mario in HD and the press/net/GAF will be sufficiently moist.

It's best not to project.

If Nintendo could get just at least one exclusive(or big name game) out a month after this drought ends I would be content.

They didn't plan the drought lol

Feels like they didn't plan the launch of Wii U either. Wii U is a mess, a terrible terrible mess. I still only have one game on the system lol.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
2 months is usually the minimum. It's technically possible we could see an announcement this week, but far more likely any new announcements are for May and onward.

The really perplexing thing to me is Nintendo not releasing anything in April, which looks likelier by the day. It's illogical.
Which potential titles were we expecting might be able to make April again?

I'm not trying to make a roundabout point with this question, but I've honestly just forgotten which ones we've discussed in the past.

Wii U Fit was one of them I think?

Sandfox

Feels like they didn't plan the launch of Wii U either. Wii U is a mess, a terrible terrible mess. I still only have one game on the system lol.

A lot of that is from delays that are ultimately their fault but they obviously had plans that were ruined.

Isn't that exactly what you're doing? I wouldn't get moist for a 3D Mario.

Don't 3D Mario games traditionally get outsold by 2D Mario games?

He's talking mainly about GAF and the gaming media and 3D Mario seems to be more popular with core gamers or at least that's the impression some people are giving off.

MDSLKTR

That's not that how a business is run but sure everything will be alright as long as they have all dat pokemon money!

schuelma

Which potential titles were we expecting might be able to make April again?

I'm not trying to make a roundabout point with this question, but I've honestly just forgotten which ones we've discussed in the past.

Wii U Fit was one of them I think?

Wii Fit U or Pikmin were the ones I thought had a shot at a late April release in time for Golden Week. I still gotta think one of them will come, since it makes little sense from my perspective to waste Game & Wario a month earlier if you have nothing planned for Golden Week sales.

famfrit

Part of me wants to see just how low Wii U can go. Emergency direct with Retro's game, 3D Mario and Mario Kart reveal videos, and Bayonetta 2 reveal!
same here. Emergency forces Nintendo to make good SW.

Nintendomination make a new Fire Emblem for WIIU or give us the next Xenogame.

If it constantly requires an emergency to get you to run your business properly, you need new people running your business. And as others pointed out, all it does it force Nintendo to rush out games like Mario Kart 7 that feel unfinished or under-featured.

test_account

XP-39C²
Anyone surprised by Soul Sacrifice debate? It was clear since the beginning that the game was made solely to fill the gap of a Monster Hunter-esque IP on Vita. It's different in some ways, of course, but it is trying so hard to become the next Monster Hunter that it's even embarassing (look at the ads, or the box-arts). But it's ok, everyone copies ideas in this sector (as many are saying), but at least recognize that this is a quite clear intent in jumping on the hunting action wagon. If Vita had Monster Hunter to begin with, I don't think we would have seen the game so pushed by Sony (let alone the game itself).

The funny thing is that people are discussing about a title that hardly will see large amountsof copies sold, and hardly will improve Vita situation in Japan.
The discussion would be just as relevant even if Soul Sacrifice sells 1 copy or 1 million copies though.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Wii Fit U or Pikmin were the ones I thought had a shot at a late April release in time for Golden Week. I still gotta think one of them will come, since it makes little sense from my perspective to waste Game & Wario a month earlier if you have nothing planned for Golden Week sales.

It's kind of hard to explain why, but Pikmin feels like a June or later title to me given how quiet they've been lately relative to like Luigi's Mansion where I feel I've been getting buried in marketing material for a notable amount of time.

Wii Fit U though definitely struck me as something that wouldn't really need anything resembling a core oriented marketing schedule, so their silence there only struck me as moderately suspicious.

Does Nintendo have any 3DS games releasing around (or at least hinted to be releasing around) Golden Week?

wrowa

I wonder, would it really make much sense to release anything right now? Even if Nintendo released Pikmin 3 or Wonderful 101 next week, sales would just rise for a week before going back to the current level. Wouldn't these games just be wasted that way? Wouldn't it make more sense to let the Wii U rot for the upcoming months, until Nintendo has a solid line-up ready? Let's say starting this Summer Nintendo releases Pikmin 3, Wii Fit U, Wonderful 101, Wii U Party, Bayonetta 2, Mario Kart 7, Mario Kart Universe and Wind Waker HD -- that would give them two solid releases a month. Wouldn't that help Wii U's mindshare a lot more?

Of course, they could release a game every two months instead, but in the meantime people are likely to forget about the console again, so... what would be the point of it? Q1 and Q2 would look disastrous financially, but there's a good chance that this is going to happen either way.

They also could to retail the favor to cut the Basic model completely and replace it with the Premium bundle for the same price (and bundle Nintendoland with it in Japan too). Yeah, Nintendo's making a loss with each sold Wii U, I know. But I don't see why they wouldn't be able to sell the Premium back for the same price. The additional storage and all of the included plastic crap are literally worth a dollar or two in production, while including a pre-installed copy of Nintendoland costs them nothing at all (sure, they would like to sell it, but they just have to face the reality that people aren't interested).

Jamix012

Creating games under pressure is never a good thing. If Nintendo are doing well it will give its studios a bit more leeway for creativity.

"Never" is a blanket statement which I highly disagree with. Majora's mask was "rushed" and as a result of it turned out to be my favourite game ever made. Limitations can breed creativity.

Mondriaan

If it constantly requires an emergency to get you to run your business properly, you need new people running your business. And as others pointed out, all it does it force Nintendo to rush out games like Mario Kart 7 that feel unfinished or under-featured.
Wii U supports patching, though, and it is kind of an emergency.

boingball

So the Wii U managed to drop below the Vita. Though if this is all what the Vita can manage with the price drop then it clearly is over for the Vita (unless genpop thinks that the price drop is not yet active, since officially it only comes this week).

And Sony should drop the price for the PS3, it needs an adrenaline shot too.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr

Nintendomination make a new Fire Emblem for WIIU or give us the next Xenogame.

No, emergency forces Nintendo to rush releases. We even have a recent example in Mario Kart 7.

Creating games under pressure is never a good thing. If Nintendo are doing well it will give its studios a bit more leeway for creativity.

I feel "Panic Nintendo" usually results in a mix of re-evaluated business practices and the quick, sometimes rushed feeling release of new titles in their biggest major franchises.

Like NSMB2 strikes me as a game that was made on a much, much shorter schedule than 3D Land or NSMB U, and not in a good way.

Trying to push the 3DS more toward digital however also feels like a reaction to the 3DS's sales, and that's not a negative.

So the Wii U managed to drop below the Vita. Though if this is all what the Vita can manage with the price drop then it clearly is over for the Vita (unless genpop thinks that the price drop is not yet active, since officially it only comes this week).

And Sony should drop the price for the PS3, it needs an adrenaline shot too.

Yeah, what was the difference after a price drop? 3-4k? That doesn't sound good.

schuelma

It's kind of hard to explain why, but Pikmin feels like a June or later title to me given how quiet they've been lately relative to like Luigi's Mansion where I feel I've been getting buried in marketing material for a notable amount of time.

Wii Fit U though definitely struck me as something that wouldn't really need anything resembling a core oriented marketing schedule, so their silence there only struck me as moderately suspicious.

Does Nintendo have any 3DS games releasing around (or at least hinted to be releasing around) Golden Week?

Tomodachi Collection April 18, dated a week ago.

deviljho

I wonder, would it really make much sense to release anything right now? Even if Nintendo released Pikmin 3 or Wonderful 101 next week, sales would just rise for a week before going back to the current level. Wouldn't these games just be wasted that way?

March is the jumping off point. I know it release schedules for Japan are a bit different, but they need to start building momentum. If you wait until the Fall to start, you've wasted an entire year. They need to start building momentum worldwide starting in March with the new games. Expecting things to go at maximum warp with the flick of a switch is not realistic. I'm not saying they should release games early... They are sitting on a lot of cash and they should spend it wisely during rainy days. They need to invest heavily in the platform before consumers do, and everyone is doing the "wait and see" for games and Wii U in general.. Marketing comes after games. They don't need a price cut yet.

Penny pinching is the extra opposite of what should be in their plans for the next 12-24 months.

AniHawk

I feel "Panic Nintendo" usually results in a mix of re-evaluated business practices and the quick, sometimes rushed feeling release of new titles in their biggest major franchises.

Like NSMB2 strikes me as a game that was made on a much, much shorter schedule than 3D Land or NSMB U, and not in a good way.

pokemon similarly feels like 'oh shit, we should have done something like this from the start' given how they're not going to allow the 6 months it usually takes for localization.

they really should expand treehouse, or get in good with smaller publishers and have games localized worldwide more often. there's really no reason why xenoblade 2 shouldn't come out next year in america if it comes out in japan at the same time.

problem with nintendo is that they're so conservative, that even though they go lax on some of their policies, they have a huge host of problems still there. the company needs a big shakeup if they ever hope to get any meaningful support.

Top Bottom