• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 8, 2014 (Feb 17 - Feb 23)

ILoveBish

Knack dominating! In the UK this happened as well, and now its happening in japan. Shows that people will part with their hard earned dollars to play something as awesome as knack while leaving other platformers collecting dust on store shelves. Knack even sold more then a 1:1 ratio of ps4s, people know this is going to be going for big bucks years from now in mint condition, japan has some smart folks.

Dragon

Banned
Knack dominating! In the UK this happened as well, and now its happening in japan. Shows that people will part with their hard earned dollars to play something as awesome as knack while leaving other platformers collecting dust on store shelves. Knack even sold more then a 1:1 ratio of ps4s, people know this is going to be going for big bucks years from now in mint condition, japan has some smart folks.

Yeah its ratio to the PS4 hardware in Japan is incredible! 1.00048519508077. Good job Sony!

What would the point be of stocking retail copies of knack at launch though?

Depends on when they stop bundling Knack I suppose. If it's pretty much just the first shipment that was mostly sold through in 2-3 days and everything after that is Knackless then having some copies on hand may not be unreasonable.

ethomaz

Banned
What would the point be of stocking retail copies of knack at launch though?
I said some guys (seems like 150) bought the game for collection... so they choose retail even having the digital version.

I think I could do the same because all games that have a retail version I bought it (even if it is expensive)... on PSN only digital only titles.

Digital is a crap way to sell games.. see the GT5 DLC issues... so retail makes me play the game forever (yeap I tried to turn on my SNES some months ago and it worked... played SMW, Megaman X and Secret of Mana).

test_account

XP-39C²
Um, has something been announced I'm not aware of? I'd be preparing for Betraylton Part II if I were a DQ fan really.
Horii basically said that Dragon Quest 11 wont be on smartphones/tablets a while back:

http://www.siliconera.com/2013/12/26/dragon-quest-xi-wont-smartphones-says-dragon-quest-creator

While other platforms are not 100% impossible, because main and traditional Dragon Quest will probably sell very well almost regardless of which platform it is on, i dont think the game would be any other platforms than the 3DS (at least not to begin with, maybe it can be ported later on).

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Horii basically said that Dragon Quest 11 wont be on smartphones/tablets a while back:

http://www.siliconera.com/2013/12/26/dragon-quest-xi-wont-smartphones-says-dragon-quest-creator

While other platforms are not 100% impossible, because main and traditional Dragon Quest will probably sell very well almost regardless of which platform it is on, i dont think the game would be any other platforms than the 3DS (at least not to begin with, maybe it can be ported later on).

Porting it eventually is a given since it's Dragon Quest, but yeah, I'm kind of expecting a sequel to Dragon Quest IX (it being local co-op focused), so having multiple SKUs at launch might be unideal.

I know this isn't PS4 related, but across a couple of threads I've noted that Square Enix has promised to make original games for iOS that resemble their handheld/console output.

I think we have our first notable example.

Rise of Mana (f2p, iOS/Android):

Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=omllJJzuK6Y

Screens:

pc_capt_smp1.jpg

romo2uzd.png

It really does look amazing. Should do well for them given the F2P nature. That's what seems to tick for the mobile space. I just wish all this wasn't to the detriment of their dedicated system support but alas, something has to give.

Total - 465.385
With the rate it's going it's clearly gone past the first Inazuma Eleven...could we be looking at a Professor Layton 1 scenario instead?

Porting it eventually is a given since it's Dragon Quest, but yeah, I'm kind of expecting a sequel to Dragon Quest IX (it being local co-op focused), so having multiple SKUs at launch might be unideal.
Much as I enjoyed DQIX, I'd be disappointed in another DQ that follows the same template, especially considering DQX has taken all these elements and put them where they out to be: in an MMO setting. I already miss having real party characters and party chat, so I really hope it won't be the case this time. At least alternate it, pls?

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
It really does look amazing. Should do well for them given the F2P nature. That's what seems to tick for the mobile space. I just wish all this wasn't to the detriment of their dedicated system support but alas, something has to give.

I kind of feel that if the 3DS used standardized mobile architecture and business model support and/or the Vita wasn't selling like crap, we might actually see more devs go with something like 3DS/Vita/iOS/Android for these larger projects, but as it stands today I get why it exists like this.

I'm curious to see how Wonder Flick goes over for Level 5 on other platforms, since I think it will be a good test bed for future cross-platform efforts.

Were I Nintendo I would also design the 4DS ground up to support things like this given the way the wind is blowing.

Much as I enjoyed DQIX, I'd be disappointed in another DQ that follows the same template, especially considering DQX has taken all these elements and put them where they out to be: in an MMO setting. I already miss having real party characters and party chat, so I really hope it won't be the case this time. At least alternate it, pls?
I didn't actually finish DQIX because of some of the design issues, and this is despite me being a heavy multiplayer gamer, so I can agree with you, but it did sell really well so I could totally understand if they wanted to do that again.

Metallix87

Agreed. 3DS exclusive is almost a definite, followed by a mobile port three years later. Also, I agree that it'll be a follow-up to IX.

Oemenia

Banned
Hopefully Knack doesnt completely kill software sales of other PS4 titles, the fact its not that good of a game might help.

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
Good job to the PS4. Imo those are decent numbers and Yakuza Isshin on PS4 has about a 25% attach rate.

Props to Youkai Watch. That game just keeps selling =). Who would have thought it'd be higher on the charts than Pokemon and Puzzles & Dragons ever, especially considering the latter two games came out later.

DKCTF continues its slow trudge...

PS4 | 309.154

How does that compare to Wii U's first week?

A bit worse, but the Wii U launched in the holidays. Honestly launch weeks for the 3DS, Vita, Wii U, Wii, and PS4 were all in the 300-400K range.

Yeah, DQXI on 3DS is no brainer no matter how you look at it. SQE already have FFXV and KH3 for PS4 and they also have their cash cow aka FFXIV on both PS3 and PS4, so there is no reason to dump more money to make another big title for HD consoles.

L Thammy

Regarding Pokemon X Monster Hunter.

Pokemon won't appear as enemies in a traditional Monster Hunter game. The wyverns and their compatriots won't appear as guests creatures in a Pokemon. Even ignoring the obvious "they won't let you kill Pokemon" bit, consider how marketable the creatures from both of these games are, how many plushies and other merchandise they sell. It doesn't make sense to put the same amount of work towards a creature that can draw attention away from your own marketable monsters.

If this were to happen, it would either be through Monster Hunter's normal cameo methods (probably a Pikachu costume for the Felynes) or through a spin-off game with alternative gameplay, something like Felyne Village or PokePark. Not likely to be console saviours.

Why are some people still trying to spin the PS4 software numbers as not disappointing?

If it isn't honest ignorance, you should probably have a good idea.

I kind of feel that if the 3DS used standardized mobile architecture and business model support and/or the Vita wasn't selling like crap, we might actually see more devs go with something like 3DS/Vita/iOS/Android for these larger projects, but as it stands today I get why it exists like this.

I'm curious to see how Wonder Flick goes over for Level 5 on other platforms, since I think it will be a good test bed for future cross-platform efforts.

Were I Nintendo I would also design the 4DS ground up to support things like this given the way the wind is blowing.
I guess the userbase isn't much of an allure considering what mobile penetration is these days. I mean it must be negligible in comparison. And I suppose with dedicated handheld devices the whole aspect of F2P is unproven. I was actually thinking more along the lines of Puzzle and Dragons' adaptation to the 3DS. I'm surprised more devs aren't willing to try that out with their successful mobile efforts.

You're right - Wonder Flick will definitely be one to keep an eye on regarding what we're discussing, especially for comparative reasons. And knowing Nintendo, for their next handheld they'll go for another similarly underpowered hardware architecture and justify that for the sake of BC, but I hope I'm wrong...

Anyone who seriously thinks the 3DS can last over 2 years without a successor on the close horizon is crazy. I still think the 3DS will sell over 3 million this year, but if it does it will probably be pretty close. If it sees a similar collapse next year ( I don't see why it would remain stable if it's hitting saturation now and by next year there won't be many cards to play if any to get a sustainable boost in sales), we'd see some pretty low sales that I don't think Nintendo wants to deal with. At the very least 3DS should beat the PSP by the time a successor comes out, but with how quickly they seem transition, I wonder if it will ever beat the PS2.

Monster Hunter X Pokemon would not do as well as a new MH or a new Pokemon. The reason is simple as they have very different gameplay and so one way or another fans of either franchise may not like the cross over.

Chindogg

Considering how Wii U supports basically all mobile platforms, I wouldn't be surprised if that's in the next gen's integrated OS.

3DS is dropping like a fuckin rock. Nintendo gotta be shaking in their boots right now.

Also surprised to see KZ as the top garbage shooter for next-gen, expected BF4.

Seeing those Wii U numbers. WOW. Pretty bad when people desire an 8 year old system moreso then yours, when price wise there is not much difference.

L Thammy

Monster Hunter X Pokemon would not do as well as a new MH or a new Pokemon. The reason is simple as they have very different gameplay and so one way or another fans of either franchise may not like the cross over.

Doesn't quite make sense if you simplify it that much. If Pokemon are inserted into Monster Hunter's gameplay, and the only problem is that Pokemon fans may not like Monster Hunter's gameplay, then you still have a Monster Hunter game + some Pokemon growth. Assuming Monster Hunter fans aren't affected, which is outside of your "simple reason".

I agree that it won't be as successful as it is on paper, different demographics are other problems, but more importantly, it won't happen in the way people usually bring it up. If it happens, it'll likely be a spinoff with its own gameplay ala Pokemon + Nobunaga's Ambition.

Ty4on

[PS3] Yakuza: Ishin! <ADV> (Sega) {2014.02.22} (¥8.600) - 138.158 / NEW
[PS4] Yakuza: Ishin! <ADV> (Sega) {2014.02.22} (¥8.600) - 82.540 / NEW

PS3: 138k / 10mil
PS4: 82k / 320k

o_O

Sorry for super late reply, but we see this in all the other regions. Last gen lasted so long people are running away from it.

I am very curious to see how large a drop the PS4 faces in the next 2 or 3 weeks. Software sales being abysmal does not bode well.

omonimo

Banned
Are we looking at the same charts? PS4 had a pretty average start at best, and 3DS continues to do well despite zero big releases and also despite the PS4 hype.

Sony likely sees the PS4 hardware and software sales as a sign they won't be able to turn the tide of console irrelevance in Japan.

Wait a minute... average? Pfff.... okay. The big problem is how much ps4 can resist without great software, but the hell you are smoking. Seeing the chart , it's not average. It's extremely good.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I guess the userbase isn't much of an allure considering what mobile penetration is these days. I mean it must be negligible in comparison. And I suppose with dedicated handheld devices the whole aspect of F2P is unproven. I was actually thinking more along the lines of Puzzle and Dragons' adaptation to the 3DS. I'm surprised more devs aren't willing to try that out with their successful mobile efforts.

You're right - Wonder Flick will definitely be one to keep an eye on regarding what we're discussing, especially for comparative reasons. And knowing Nintendo, for their next handheld they'll go for another similarly underpowered hardware architecture and justify that for the sake of BC, but I hope I'm wrong...

My main reasoning would be that dedicated device gamers would be more likely to convert to paying users than your average mobile users for certain types of games.

Like mobile conversion is in the 2-3% range while Team Fortress 2 is in the 20-30% range.

It is a risk, but if you're trying to make a game like this anyway, maybe not the worst one.

Similarly we see some f2p games ending up on PS4 despite the tiny install base or companies adding their f2p games to Steam despite losing 30% of their revenue that way.

Metallix87

Wait a minute... average? Pfff.... okay. The big problem is how much ps4 can resist without great software, but the hell you are smoking. Seeing the chart , it's not average. It's extremely good.
It did Wii U launch numbers, and didn't sell out by a good amount. Software sales are abysmal. The launch was average at the very best, and I'm sure, internally, Sony is very disappointed.

omonimo

Banned
It did Wii U launch numbers, and didn't sell out by a good amount. Software sales are abysmal. The launch was average at the very best, and I'm sure, internally, Sony is very disappointed.

The hell you are talking about. They have shipped 350k & sold 320k in 2 day, chart it's dominate to the ps4 software, why should be disappointed? For now, it's a good start. ps3 sold a quarter of the ps4 at launch & it has a better trend of the wiiu lifespan. In theory should go fine for the ps4, if it not drops dramatically in the next weeks.

Above Wii U numbers without a Mario or Monster Hunter is pretty decent, I thought. I'm not an expert like you though :x

How do we know this? If the 350K number is accurate then it likely would sell out the initial allotment in 3 or 4 days as opposed to 2

How would you know this. Talking out of your ass? Consider that Sony shipped 350k and 322k were sold.

I don't see why people keep acting like the WiiU launch week was atrocious. What was atrocious were the coming weeks.

309k =/= 320k, for starters.

Well thats because Famitsu =/= Media Create lol

You are so delusional. The launch was great, and not in any way average. The WiiU is cheaper and launched on the holidays, and it still got outsold by the PS4. So you undermining the result is really funny.

AniHawk

How would you know this. Talking out of your ass? Consider that Sony shipped 350k and 322k were sold.

I don't see why people keep acting like the WiiU launch week was atrocious. What was atrocious were the coming weeks.

i am sony and i am very disappointed in the ps4.

Has this been posted ? Famitsu & Enterbrain giving us monthly numbers for digital ! Didn't know this was happening.

Seems Sony was not lying about the digital trend for Vita : FFX HD is 6.7% digital on PS3 but 10.1% en Vita. Disgaea 4 Return doing 17% in digital is impressive too.

Top Bottom