• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 8, 2014 (Feb 17 - Feb 23)

3DS dropping like a rock. Does anyone expect Mario party to make much of a difference?

What difference exactly are we waiting for? The 3DS has already built a very sizable install base that supports pretty much every kind of piece of software you can put out on it. The hardware itself follows a pretty generic console cycle and is doing its part as a means to an end.

prag16

Banned
Why do you expect vita going down in the coming weeks? it has been steady for so many time with no major releases at all... I just ask in an informative way

It doesn't have to go down to fall behind last year's YTD. Vita got a big bump around this time last year.

Z3M0G

It probably went trough the first shipment by now, if we assume it was 350k. Second shipment, well, it depends on how big it is. Most likely, it's a no.

Did 2nd shipment arrive yet? If not, and there is none this week, people better understand when sales numbers are ~40k next week... and not overreact.

Of course they will.

Bruno MB

Yo-kai Watch monthly sales

Source: Famitsu

Code:
July, 2013

[3DS] Yo-kai Watch <RPG> (Level 5) {2013.07.11} (¥4.800) - 101.136 / NEW

August, 2013

[3DS] Yo-kai Watch <RPG> (Level 5) {2013.07.11} (¥4.800) - 54.884 / 156.020 (-46%)

September, 2013

[3DS] Yo-kai Watch <RPG> (Level 5) {2013.07.11} (¥4.800) - 37.493 / 193.513 (-32%) 

October, 2013

[3DS] Yo-kai Watch <RPG> (Level 5) {2013.07.11} (¥4.800) - 17.359 / 210.872 (-54%) 

November, 2013

[3DS] Yo-kai Watch <RPG> (Level 5) {2013.07.11} (¥4.800) - 11.988 / 222.860 (-31%)

December, 2013

[3DS] Yo-kai Watch <RPG> (Level 5) {2013.07.11} (¥4.800) - 63.593 / 286.453 (+430%)

January, 2014

[3DS] Yo-kai Watch <RPG> (Level 5) {2013.07.11} (¥4.800) - 60.586 / 347.039 (-5%) 

February, 2014 

[3DS] Yo-kai Watch <RPG> (Level 5) {2013.07.11} (¥4.800) - 114.051 / 461.090 (+88%)

5 biggest weeks:

Week 1 - 52.901
Week 32 - 31.831
Week 33 - 29.814
Week 2 - 28.707
Week 30 - 28.423

Digital sales:

September, 2013 - 1.175
October, 2013 - 914 
December, 2013 - 2.206

[3DS] Yo-kai Watch <RPG> (Level 5) {2013.07.11} (¥4.800) - 461.090
[3DS] Yo-kai Watch (Digital sales) <RPG> (Level 5) {2013.07.11} (¥4.800) - 4.295

Total - 465.385

What difference exactly are we waiting for? The 3DS has already built a very sizable install base that supports pretty much every kind of piece of software you can put out on it. The hardware itself follows a pretty generic console cycle and is doing its part as a means to an end.

It's got a mario kart, 2 main mario platformers, animal crossing, a dragon quest remake, a pokemon release, monhun 4...at some point, youve already unloaded your big guns. It's probably safe to say that the console is on the decline, that it has passed its peak.

Metallix87

It's got a mario kart, 2 main mario platformers, animal crossing, a dragon quest remake, a pokemon release, monhun 4...at some point, youve already unloaded your big guns. It's probably safe to say that the console is on the decline, that it has passed its peak.
Only big gun left is DQ11.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
sörine;102353513 said:
PS3 also had digital games at launch in Japan.

no retail titles.

as for the comparisons to PS3, 3DS and Vita digital sales:

3DS DRM is god awful.
Vita shows generally strong digital sales similar to what I'm talking about.
PS3 was obviously an almost entirely physical start and the majority of systems out there are like 250GB or less while many of the biggest titles are over 20GB.

Honestly the closest you can even compare PS4 to is Vita (good size-to-default-storage ratio, almost 1:1 digital to retail availability, etc) which again, approaches or even beats 20% on many titles.

I was pointing out to stead decline of 3DS compared to stabilizing Vita. 3DS is Nintendo's only money-making product in the market right now, and to see it has sharper decline than its competitor, which have much thinner libraries, is serious concern. If you think Nintendo is satisfying just from getting a cut from software sale while seeing their hardware dropping, you can't be more wrong.

I dont think Nintendo cares or is worried about Vita´s performance. No doubt 3DS numbers are worrisome low, though.

Yo-kai Watch monthly sales

5 biggest weeks:

Week 1 - 52.901
Week 32 - 31.831
Week 33 - 29.814
Week 2 - 28.707
Week 30 - 28.423

Total - 465.385

I summon you Duckroll, pls explain this.

Busaiku

Only big gun left is DQ11.

There's also Super Smash Bros.
I think that has the best shot at making a difference, since the franchise/genre isn't as common on handhelds, and this would be the its first entry on a handheld, so it could get new people.

Moreso than another Monster Hunter or Pokemon in any case, despite those being much bigger.

Of course I don't think it will, but just that it has a better shot.

GulAtiCa

Guess that makes the 3DS the new champion for this week!
I'll show myself out..

Serious now: Seems like a pretty good start for PS4. I'm curious how it will sell in it's 2nd and beyond weeks. Also, was Knack sold in stores? I know it's bundled with every PS4, which would make selling it in stores currently kinda silly for now, which begs the question how Knack can be a different number than the PS4. weird.

Sad to see the 3DS do such a free fall.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I know this isn't PS4 related, but across a couple of threads I've noted that Square Enix has promised to make original games for iOS that resemble their handheld/console output.

I think we have our first notable example.

Rise of Mana (f2p, iOS/Android):

Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=omllJJzuK6Y

Screens:

pc_capt_smp1.jpg

romo2uzd.png

Spiegel

Sure so where is it ? Or DQ VIII remake ?

DQXI? Most likely announced late this year and released in 2015. It's not like the announcement is behind schedule (historically speaking).

I don't think S-E is going to pass on a ~3.5-4M selling 3DS release.

Linkhero1

I was thinking that Knack had done well until I realized it was bundled lol.

Shame that software numbers aren't that great.

No. No, Japan. It makes me feel uncomfortable that you're not buying more 3DS systems.

I think we'll see the 2DS release soon.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
No. No, Japan. It makes me feel uncomfortable that you're not buying more 3DS systems.

Well, at a 47.1% YTD YoY decline, I think we're actually moving even higher (decline wise) than the last time I ran this calculation.

I still feel it's plausible we are nearing saturation as we near the PSP's LTD, given there's a mix of lost markets and a shift toward PSP like games from third parties.

15 million LTD isn't an unhealthy number, nor would ending up a bit north of 20 million.

Opinions: decent start for PS4, decent start with Inshin, everything else is on its arse. Ultimately, we shall see when it comes to the PS4, but I suspect it won't be the saviour of console gaming in Japan.

AniHawk

whatever sony did to the vita to stabilize sales sure is working. what a contrast to the 3ds. especially when one has so many titles in the top 20 versus the other.

Busaiku

Right, what we've seen is the middle disappearing on handhelds, not the top.

Ergo, mainline DQ shows up on 3DS, but things like Mana go to iOS/Android.

It's more the top publishers (Capcom, Square Enix, and such) that are following this course.
Medium sized publishers like Marvelous, Atlus, Idea Factory, and so on, are still actively pursuing Vita/3DS development for the majority of their titles.

Level 5's like the only publisher that's doing all the platforms though.

Somnid

whatever sony did to the vita to stabilize sales sure is working. what a contrast to the 3ds. especially when one has so many titles in the top 20 versus the other.

I think this again points to hardware saturation. Gamers with 3DSs are now buying Vitas as a second system. Happened with late-gen PSP too.

RM8

I think we'll see the 2DS release soon.
I'm not sure this would help a lot in Japan, and I think that's why it's not released over there. I think a shiny new model (not even necessarily cheaper) would help more. I don't know, something like the OG model but with nicer screens or something.

Well, at a 47.1% YTD YoY decline, I think we're actually moving even higher (decline wise) than the last time I ran this calculation.

I still feel it's plausible we are nearing saturation as we near the PSP's LTD, given there's a mix of lost markets and a shift toward PSP like games from third parties.

15 million LTD isn't an unhealthy number, nor would ending up a bit north of 20 million.
Oh well. It passed GBA in Japan already, so yeah, we can say 3DS did pretty well :p But I enjoyed when it was selling like crazy.

Dark_castle

3DS' biggest days are over. Nearly all the major titles/franchises have seen a release. I expect to hear rumblings of the next system this year and a release next year. In the mean time, a price cut would be welcome.

Not yet.

Dragon Quest XI (inevitable)
Monster Hunter Ultimate 4
Pokemon Z (inevitable)
Super Smash Bros 3DS
Bravely Second
Persona Q
Professor Layton vs. Phoneix Wright
SMT x FE (it's a possibility for the game to switch platform from the dying Wii U)

Linkhero1

I'm not sure this would help a lot in Japan, and I think that's why it's not released over there. I think a shiny new model (not even necessarily cheaper) would help more. I don't know, something like the OG model but with nicer screens or something.

Maybe. I'm sure it will garner attention from people who don't own one either way. I wouldn't mind a 3DS LL Mini if that makes any sense.

Not yet.

Dragon Quest XI (inevitable)
Monster Hunter Ultimate 4
Pokemon Z (inevitable)
Super Smash Bros 3DS
Bravely Second
Persona Q
Professor Layton vs. Phoneix Wright
SMT x FE (it's a possibility for the game to switch platform from the dying Wii U)
Even if this turns out to be true, I wouldn't list it with the rest since it's not a guarantee nor have there been any hints on a platform switch. Either way, there are plenty of 3DS games to come still. We haven't heard anything from Nintendo in terms of first party releases either.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
It's more the top publishers (Capcom, Square Enix, and such) that are following this course.
Medium sized publishers like Marvelous, Atlus, NIS, Idea Factory, and so on, are still actively pursuing Vita/3DS development for the majority of their titles.

Level 5's like the only publisher that's doing all the platforms though.

I feel a lot of those publishers actually have most of their output in the low-tier range though, including cost wise, which isn't really "the middle" in the way something like Last Ranker, E.X Troopers, TWEWY, or Mana may have been.

Atlus would be a bit different from this trend though, I agree, since things like Persona Q and SMT4 feel mid-tier cost wise and don't really sell disproportionately well.

saichi

Vita shows generally strong digital sales similar to what I'm talking about.

Honestly the closest you can even compare PS4 to is Vita (good size-to-default-storage ratio, almost 1:1 digital to retail availability, etc) which again, approaches or even beats 20% on many titles.

can you provide your source?

AniHawk

am i alone in thinking that the traditional industry looks a lot smaller than it did eight years ago? in 2006, japanese companies weren't making a lot of console games like they did during the ps2 heyday, but they were there in spades for the ds and psp. now those systems only get half of the attention they used to. the ps4's lineup looks weak and the wii u's is nonexistent.

that's before even taking the western side of the industry into account, where it seems there are really only four third-party publishers making noise anymore (ea, ubisoft, take two, and activation). for as long as last generation went on, there seems to be a lot of time between the big titles that will show reason for this new gen to exist. and nintendo is going to try with two new pieces of hardware within the next three years? i can't imagine how little support those systems will get.

i think in japan, the ps4 will be like the 3ds. it'll get the big name titles and very few of the middle ones. those may be made for vita instead, or just developed on smartphone. the remaining small developers over there that haven't been gobbled up yet (nis and idea factory) may continue to support sony and the ps4, but it might be like atlus's support of the 3ds. it's not enough.

PS4 HW sales are decent, software seems pretty terrible but I'm not familiar with consoles software performance when released in months beginning with F so no idea how it compares to other consoles

3DS seems to continue it's YOY downward trend? Vita seems to have stabilized somewhat, never going to achieve any amazing LTD but hopefully it means it will continue to get 3rd party support.

PS3 still seems to be selling ok I think for a 7 year old console that's not the PS2

am i alone in thinking that the traditional industry looks a lot smaller than it did eight years ago? in 2006, japanese companies weren't making a lot of console games like they did during the ps2 heyday, but they were there in spades for the ds and psp. now those systems only get half of the attention they used to. the ps4's lineup looks weak and the wii u's is nonexistent.

that's before even taking the western side of the industry into account, where it seems there are really only four third-party publishers making noise anymore (ea, ubisoft, take two, and activation). for as long as last generation went on, there seems to be a lot of time between the big titles that will show reason for this new gen to exist. and nintendo is going to try with two new pieces of hardware within the next three years? i can't imagine how little support those systems will get.

i think in japan, the ps4 will be like the 3ds. it'll get the big name titles and very few of the middle ones. those may be made for vita instead, or just developed on smartphone. the remaining small developers over there that haven't been gobbled up yet (nis and idea factory) may continue to support sony and the ps4, but it might be like atlus's support of the 3ds. it's not enough.

I think what's interesting is the mid tier developers dropped like flies this last gen from the western perspective and likely within Japan as well. You still have the big Japanese developers but the smaller tiers tend to frequent handhelds or mobile or are bust.

Indie development in Japan does not seem to be becoming more mainstream like it is in the west to fill the gap left by mid tier

Ikaruga!

Neo Member
PS4 HW is looking good. The Software Numbers not so much. Though Sony shoots themselfs in the knee by bundling the PS4 with knack. I remember my Childhood when I got my SNES with bundled Mario World: I didn't get a game for the next 8 Months...

Sad but true story: Mario World was great, Knack is a piece of crap compared to it...

Nyoro SF

I wasn't too worried about the PS4's results this week. The sustained momentum coming out of here though is very worrisome.

Effect

Sony might have another problem on their hands. They are now advertising, at least in the US, playstation plus by itself. Making it clear that you get free games. How that is going to impact software sales in general going forward outside of THE big titles is doing to be interesting. I saw the ads during this weeks WWE Raw.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr

Yes, as games have gotten bigger, there are fewer and fewer projects.

Ultimately it's kind of a result of a 1000 person Assassin's Creed team replacing ten 100 person game teams, along with the market rewarding people who do so vastly more than those who still have ten 100 person teams making games for traditional venues.

The games and genres that died out due to this mostly moved on to digital stores, f2p, or smart devices.

A good example of this is Capcom, whose announced upcoming line-up for traditional platforms is:
-Deep Down
-Ultimate Street Fighter IV
-Monster Hunter 4G
-Shu Takumi's Ace Attorney project

Or Square Enix Japan, whose traditional platform line-up is:
-Final Fantasy XV
-Kingdom Hearts 3
-Theatrhythm: Final Fantasy: Curtain Call
-FFXIV PS4 Port
-Bravely Second

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
There's also an Ace Attorney game.

Is that one announced?

I guess it's kind of quasi announced.

Bravely Second too.
Right, that's a good point.

I think they're attempting to replace FF on handhelds with that one since they can make it faster (annual releases, mainline every two years) given it seems to be a consistent-message series and also it can have mainline entries on the platform so the fanbase doesn't have to question "Is this actually a notable title?"

Gadirok

PS4 HW is looking good. The Software Numbers not so much. Though Sony shoots themselfs in the knee by bundling the PS4 with knack. I remember my Childhood when I got my SNES with bundled Mario World: I didn't get a game for the next 8 Months...

Sad but true story: Mario World was great, Knack is a piece of crap compared to it...

With that logic, wouldn't people be trying to get rid of Knack ASAP and get a good game?

Super Mario World could last me months but I don't think Knack is capable of lasting me a week.

Top Bottom