• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 8, 2017 (Feb 20 - Feb 26)

Alrus

What about Mario Maker?

I think it's the portability x factor. There's a lot of consoles games that have really successful handheld re-releases.

Tabletop multiplayer might actually be popular(with kids) too.

Its not a new MK though so it will be comparatively muted.

Yes you're right, I kinda forgot about Mario Maker 3DS. If Nintendo focuses on the portability it might do decently.

L~A

Media Create:

Switch 329,152
PS4 31,065
New3DS LL 18,433
Vita 9,889
PS4 Pro 6,742
2DS 4,147
New3DS 1,268
PS3 615
Wii U 565
Xbox One 147

Zelda: 230k combined, 186k Switch
Horizon: 116k
1-2-Switch: 79k
Super Bomberman R: 36k
Dragon Quest Heroes: 25k
Puyo Puyo Tetris: 12k

Oxn

Media Create:

Switch 329,152
PS4 31,065
New3DS LL 18,433
Vita 9,889
PS4 Pro 6,742
2DS 4,147
New3DS 1,268
PS3 615
Wii U 565
Xbox One 147

Zelda: 230k combined, 186k Switch
1-2-Switch: 79k
Super Bomberman R: 36k
Dragon Quest Heroes: 25k
Puyo Puyo Tetris: 12k

Wheres the most important number?

LordRaptor

I don't think this reflects reality. The general vibe is not that the Switch is very cheap. Maybe you are confusing it with interviews with -developers- in Japan who think the Switch is cheap for what it is? That's totally different from consumer opinions.

Smartphones and tablets are expensive multipurpose devices. No one buys one of them just to "play games" and nothing else. That's usually not even a main factor when it comes to buying such a device. The Switch plays games. It has no apps. It has no streaming functions. It has no browser. It literally cannot do anything other than play Switch games. Why would anyone look at it as a product they want and compare it with their multipurpose devices rather than dedicated game devices like 3DS and Vita?

I thought I'd seen a vox pops report that was fairly positive on pricing, but it could have been a poorly titled repost of the famitsu developer survey.

Regardless, whether something is considered 'expensive' or 'cheap' is primarily a value judgement, and I think the fact the switch evokes much more expensive hardware in its form factor and design ultimately benefits expectations on what it 'should' be priced at.
I could well be wrong, and if I am that's going to become apparent in sales very quickly, I'm just not sure "no handheld could ever be ¥30,000" is an automatic truism.

Top Bottom