• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 8, 2017 (Feb 20 - Feb 26)

KtSlime

I don't think Switch has download cards yet. I haven't seen them anywhere. They did update the appearance of their general currency cards to fit the Switch aesthetic.

Do we know if Famitsu is including the purchases from the new Nintendo online store?

D.Lo

I wonder if the release timing of MK8DX will end up being just right. I was thinking it would make more sense to release it in early April, but I assume Nintendo is betting on the system being able to coast off hype and launch software for about two months.
I think it's about right.

MK is the next big game that 'unlocks' a new feature of the system - portable local multiplayer. Yes Bomberman, Fast RMX etc, but MK is the big gun for that. I think MK will remain the go-to portable local multiplayer game for literally five years, just like on N64. So it can wait two months until hype dies off and stock is under control.

Similarly, Arms 'unlocks' a motion control focus. Splatoon the more serious online multiplayer, and Mario is the big holiday game.

duckroll

I think this is one area where device convergence and the rise of smartphones and tablets actually helps nintendo; consumer expectations of hardware pricing are aligned with iPads and iPhones, not gameboys and neogeo pockets.
We've already seen reports of Japanese pricing expectations being that the Switch is very cheap for what it is perceived to be.

In software pricing the popularity of mobile is still obviously to nintendos detriment.

I don't think this reflects reality. The general vibe is not that the Switch is very cheap. Maybe you are confusing it with interviews with -developers- in Japan who think the Switch is cheap for what it is? That's totally different from consumer opinions.

Smartphones and tablets are expensive multipurpose devices. No one buys one of them just to "play games" and nothing else. That's usually not even a main factor when it comes to buying such a device. The Switch plays games. It has no apps. It has no streaming functions. It has no browser. It literally cannot do anything other than play Switch games. Why would anyone look at it as a product they want and compare it with their multipurpose devices rather than dedicated game devices like 3DS and Vita?

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Gamer are reporting a 1.2 attach rate at Geo (0.8 for Wii U) with more stock on 10/11 March

http://www.gamer.ne.jp/news/201703080019/

That sounds positive, even if it's limited to one retailer (how big is Geo, btw? I don't remember). Hopefully we won't have to wait too long to know how well the other games sold (please blog, "share the joy" [cit.] as you always do).

I'll be honest: I'm both intrigued and anxious about how well / bad the other launch games sold.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
I don't think this reflects reality. The general vibe is not that the Switch is very cheap. Maybe you are confusing it with interviews with -developers- in Japan who think the Switch is cheap for what it is? That's totally different from consumer opinions.

Smartphones and tablets are expensive multipurpose devices. No one buys one of them just to "play games" and nothing else. That's usually not even a main factor when it comes to buying such a device. The Switch plays games. It has no apps. It has no streaming functions. It has no browser. It literally cannot do anything other than play Switch games. Why would anyone look at it as a product they want and compare it with their multipurpose devices rather than dedicated game devices like 3DS and Vita?
TBF most of those are planned to come just not at launch. The average consumer doesn't actually do all that much with a tablet. The switch could of easily replicated the vast majority of the common uses of a tablet at launch. It could still do tha if Nintendo gave a shit.

Mory Dunz

I think it's about right.

MK is the next big game that 'unlocks' a new feature of the system - portable local multiplayer. Yes Bomberman, Fast RMX etc, but MK is the big gun for that. I think MK will remain the go-to portable local multiplayer game for literally five years, just like on N64. So it can wait two months until hype dies off and stock is under control.

Similarly, Arms 'unlocks' a motion control focus. Splatoon the more serious online multiplayer, and Mario is the big holiday game.

sounds right.
I still think they needed more Wii U ports, strange as it may seem to some. I think things like Hyrule Warriors, Smash (maybe it'll get announced), Pokken (esp this), DK (maybe it'll do better portable) would be perfect stop gap games between the big hitters. Just give them all the DLC and a resolution and/or FPS bump. No retexturing. It'd be easy enough to be outsourced.

And then there's 3DS games being sent to die like Pikmin, Ever Oasis, Mario Sports, that have me shrugging like wtf is the point...

Pikmin 3DS was revealed over a half a year ago. And not a peep. EDIT: and ever Oasis since e3.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Gamer are reporting a 1.2 attach rate at Geo (0.8 for Wii U) with more stock on 10/11 March

http://www.gamer.ne.jp/news/201703080019/

Actual numbers were a bit higher for Wii U.

3DS hw - 374.764 / sw - 356.606 <95,00%>
WIU hw - 308.142 / sw - 376.000 <122,00%>

And then there's 3DS games being sent to die like Pikmin, Ever Oasis, Mario Sports, that have me shrugging like wtf is the point...

Because Nintendo pushes 3DS hard this year.

Vinnk

Yeah. I have met people who said that the price was "as expected" or "sounds fair" but I have yet to meet anyone who said it was "cheap". Gamers will buy it and rich kids. But I think it needs a price drop before it becomes the next portable in line with 3DS. I bought one and I use it as a portable and play it with my kids. But I won't buy my kids their own Switch at this price.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Yeah. I have met people who said that the price was "as expected" or "sounds fair" but I have yet to meet anyone who said it was "cheap". Gamers will buy it and rich kids. But I think it needs a price drop before it becomes the next portable in line with 3DS. I bought one and I use it as a portable and play it with my kids. But I won't buy my kids their own Switch at this price.

3DS dropped to 15k yen almost immediately. It will need more than a price drop to reach these levels. Maybe this time, unlike previous handheld revisions, price go down and not up with first redesign.

duckroll

TBF most of those are planned to come just not at launch. The average consumer doesn't actually do all that much with a tablet. The switch could of easily replicated the vast majority of the common uses of a tablet at launch. It could still do tha if Nintendo gave a shit.

It's not about what the hardware -could- do, it's about what it does. No one is going to look at the Switch and go "wow it might be able to do all those things if I press my fingers against my head and ~ImAgInE~

Mpl90

Actual numbers were a bit higher for Wii U.

Because Nintendo pushes 3DS hard this year.

That's because this is the tie ratio just for Geo, not for the entire market. It's also possible that they're not counting MH Premium SKUs in their tie ratio, thus Wii U's tie ratio at Geo would be higher than one (potentially around 1.2 as well) by counting them.

EDIT: Sorry for asking again, but how big is Geo as a retailer? Tsutaya-like or bigger?

Principate

Saint Titanfall
It's not about what the hardware -could- do, it's about what it does. No one is going to look at the Switch and go "wow it might be able to do all those things if I press my fingers against my head and ~ImAgInE~
The browser etc should be here by Christmas it's what the device should be doing but Nintendo decided to have consumers beta test first. The holidays are the true launch of this system and by the most of this stuff should have arrived by stated timeframe.

The average consumer who buys it later on won't go oh this thing didn't have a browser at launch they go oh this thing does most of the things my tablet does.

hiska-kun

The blog is leaking but I don't know where I have to look.

Maybe just maybe Zelda sold 180k (Switch) 44k (Wii U). But not sure.
Horizon maybe is 120k. But leaks this time are difficult to guess. I'm just writing some random numbers he posted but I don't know what is what.

D.Lo

The browser etc should be here by Christmas it's what the device should be doing but Nintendo decided to have consumers beta test first. The holidays are the true launch of this system and by the most of this stuff should have arrived by stated timeframe.

The average consumer who buys it later on won't go oh this thing didn't have a browser at launch they go oh this thing does most of the things my tablet does.
I don't understand why anyone would want a browser on it. It would be a terrible tablet, it's not very big (extra large phone size), very fat compared to most phones/tablets, and either has uncomfortable rails on the sides or joycons making the screen harder to hold. The phone everyone has in their pocket will be a better option for 99.999% of people. I have literally never loaded the browser on 3DS or Vita.

I really hope there is never a browser on it. Browsers are such an easy exploit entry point on all devices, and I'm sick of cheaters in Splatoon.

BriBri

So I was hoping to see the Switch eShop charts this week and nothing at all. There are individual charts on the 3DS and Wii U wShops bit of-course the Switch eShop is barebones (won't even accept my bloody credit card!).

Mpl90

So I was hoping to see the Switch eShop charts this week and nothing at all. There are individual charts on the 3DS and Wii U wShops bit of-course the Switch eShop is barebones (won't even accept my bloody credit card!).

I think I know why

https://topics.nintendo.co.jp/c/article/2ed63e52-fe2b-11e6-9aaf-063b7ac45a6d.html

If I got this right, the end of the Switch-dedicated report for the eShop states that now the weekly eShop article will be released every Friday instead of every Wednesday, correct me if I'm wrong, BriBri.

vivekTO

The blog is leaking but I don't know where I have to look.

Maybe just maybe Zelda sold 180k (Switch) 44k (Wii U). But not sure.
Horizon maybe is 120k. But leaks this time are difficult to guess. I'm just writing some random numbers he posted but I don't know what is what.

120k for HZD, not bad i think!!

Yeah, those are the numbers that seem to be generally accepted right now. I believe the 313k was a miscommunication of some sort.

I believe the 313k was from the preliminary report. Famitsu send this to their customers every monday, what we got on tuesday is the definitive report.

BriBri

I think I know why

https://topics.nintendo.co.jp/c/article/2ed63e52-fe2b-11e6-9aaf-063b7ac45a6d.html

If I got this right, the end of the Switch-dedicated report for the eShop states that now the weekly eShop article will be released every Friday instead of every Wednesday, correct me if I'm wrong, BriBri.
Thanks! I've missed so much this week as I've been in bed with flu so appreciate you doing the work;-)
Edit: shit, this means I have to get up at 1am twice a week now!

hiska-kun

Comg's stores will have the next Switch shipment on Friday 10th. Zelda BotW and 1-2-Switch will be restocked too.

&#12304;&#20837;&#33655;&#24773;&#22577;&#12305;Nintendo Switch&#26412;&#20307;&#12398;&#20170;&#36913;&#12398;&#20837;&#33655;&#12399;10&#26085;&#38915;&#12398;&#20104;&#23450;&#12391;&#12377;&#12290;&#29694;&#22312;&#12399;&#20104;&#32004;&#21463;&#20184;&#38918;&#12398;&#12362;&#28193;&#12375;&#12392;&#12394;&#12387;&#12390;&#12362;&#12426;&#12414;&#12377;&#12290;&#22810;&#25968;&#12398;&#12372;&#20104;&#32004;&#12434;&#12356;&#12383;&#12384;&#12356;&#12390;&#12356;&#12427;&#12383;&#12417;&#12362;&#28193;&#12375;&#12414;&#12391;&#26178;&#38291;&#12364;&#12363;&#12363;&#12427;&#22580;&#21512;&#12418;&#12354;&#12426;&#12414;&#12377;&#12398;&#12391;&#12372;&#20102;&#25215;&#12367;&#12384;&#12373;&#12356;&#12290;
&#12304;&#20837;&#33655;&#24773;&#22577;&#12305;Nintendo Switch&#23554;&#29992;&#12477;&#12501;&#12488; &#12476;&#12523;&#12480;&#12398;&#20253;&#35500;&#12502;&#12524;&#12473;&#12458;&#12502;&#12470;&#12527;&#12452;&#12523;&#12489;&#12289;1-2-Switch &#12395;&#12388;&#12356;&#12390;&#12418;10&#26085;&#38915;&#36861;&#21152;&#20837;&#33655;&#12391;&#12377;&#12290;&#24215;&#38957;&#12391;&#12398;&#36092;&#20837;&#12418;&#21487;&#33021;&#12395;&#12394;&#12427;&#35211;&#36796;&#12415;&#12391;&#12377;&#12398;&#12391;&#12362;&#25506;&#12375;&#12398;&#26041;&#12399;&#20107;&#21069;&#12398;&#12372;&#20104;&#32004;&#12434;&#12393;&#12358;&#12382;&#65281;

https://www.twitter.com/COMG_GAME/status/839406571511672832

They will deliver first to the persons who pre-ordered. Since there're a lot, it might take more time for the ones who haven't pre-ordered it yet.

Mpl90

Thanks! I've missed so much this week as I've been in bed with flu so appreciate you doing the work;-)
Edit: shit, this means I have to get up at 1am twice a week now!

You're welcome.

Small OT: there seems to be an on-going change in how eShop releases / information are handled in both Europe and Japan. In fact, Europe now gets the eShop PR on Thursday, like the US (PR same day as the releases), while Japan now gets new infos on Fridays. And this probably means that (at least on Switch) digital releases are now on Friday and not on Wednesday.

If Zelda is 180k and 1-2-Switch is 80k, assuming that 313k was for Media Create, what games are the other 53k users buying?

53k for Disgaea 5 confirmed

53k between Bomberman; DQH and the rest seems low-ish to about right. Could've seen 30k Bomberman; 20k DQH and whatever's left for the rest.

BriBri

You're welcome.

Small OT: there seems to be an on-going change in how eShop releases / information are handled in both Europe and Japan. In fact, Europe now gets the eShop PR on Thursday, like the US (PR same day as the releases), while Japan now gets new infos on Fridays. And this probably means that (at least on Switch) digital releases are now on Friday and not on Wednesday.
It's strange as hamster just announced a NEOGEO game for tomorrow (Thursday) so I don't even think Nintendo know what they're doing (again!)!

Mpl90

It's strange as hamster just announced a NEOGEO game for tomorrow (Thursday) so I don't even think Nintendo know what they're doing (again!)!

I just noticed. Mh, maybe now Thursday is the day where new releases come on the eShop everywhere, while Friday is the day when charts are released alongside infos for the following week's releases in Japan...?

BriBri

I just noticed. Mh, maybe now Thursday is the day where new releases come on the eShop everywhere, while Friday is the day when charts are released alongside infos for the following week's releases in Japan...?
So you're saying I might need to set my alarm for 1am three times a week now?! *shocked Mii face*

L~A

313k might be Dengeki, I heard that the same company that owns Famitsu acquired them. Maybe that's why people thought it was Famitsu at first.

Dengeki is owned by ASCII Media Works, which is part of Kadokawa Corporation.
Famitsu is owned by Enterbrain, which is part of... Kadokawa Corporation.

Kadokawa owns a crapton of stuff, especially in the video games press.

I wonder if the release timing of MK8DX will end up being just right. I was thinking it would make more sense to release it in early April, but I assume Nintendo is betting on the system being able to coast off hype and launch software for about two months.

MK8DX is their big Golden Week game, the release date is just fine.

I don't think Switch has download cards yet. I haven't seen them anywhere. They did update the appearance of their general currency cards to fit the Switch aesthetic.

Do we know if Famitsu is including the purchases from the new Nintendo online store?

There most definitely is download cards:

C59GckdVMAEWnWj.jpg

> https://twitter.com/Cheesemeister3k/status/837465529774288896

Alrus

I don't see MK8 Deluxe doing much to be honest. In the past "enhanced" re-releases haven't done particularly well and I don't really see how this one would be different.

casiopao

I don't see MK8 Deluxe doing much to be honest. In the past "enhanced" re-releases haven't done particularly well and I don't really see how this one would be different.

If they price it a bit cheaper, i can see it doing well there.

45 bucks should be a great price to double dip there.

hiska-kun

What about Mario Maker?

If they price it a bit cheaper, i can see it doing well there.

45 bucks should be a great price to double dip there.

The price is the same as the Wii U version (but with the extras included)

KtSlime

L~A thanks, I thought that was strange. I didn't notice any in Biqlo when I went to buy my case Friday, and none have appeared in my local 7-11, Famimart, and Lawson's.

Casiopao: Mario Kart 8 is about 45 dollars before tax on Amazon (which is slightly discounted from the suggested retail price).

Oregano

I think it's the portability x factor. There's a lot of consoles games that have really successful handheld re-releases.

Tabletop multiplayer might actually be popular(with kids) too.

Its not a new MK though so it will be comparatively muted.

Top Bottom