• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 8, 2017 (Feb 20 - Feb 26)

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Those are great Zelda sales... Expecting this one to have some legs. Will be the to go title for Switch for a while.
If it's so obvious to everyone I must start seeing the numerous posts or threads for Switch not being the successor of 3DS (even in MC threads) as full of trolls and ignorance.

Again, I don't agree with Switch getting only home console support this year. That's not the marketing push I expect for Splattoon.
Yeah.... We are early but it's clear that local coop ala MH is what they are trying to push Splatoon 2.

3DS mayor titles in its first year we're OoT 3D, MK7 and 3D Land. All three big titles will be on Switch this year with BotW, MK8D and Mario Odyssey in addition to other staff.

We don't know what the complete fall lineup will look like... But the chances of at least one big Japanese 3rdParty title ala MH3G on 3DS in 2011 hitting is very high. Add the rumors of Smash Bros. and Pokémon hitting Switch... Which also were among the biggest sellers on 3DS.

That's pretty much most major first party 3DS bases covered with the exception of Animal Crossing - we also know that a new mainline FE is hitting Switch next year.

So I don't see the "console game" focus when most of these games were the biggest sellers on 3DS and pretty much be what would be expected on a 3DS follow up. It's just that the Switch offers more than what most of us would have expected from a straight up 3DS successor and costs more.

casiopao

First Week sales and LTD for me is equally important if you ask me.

LTD sometimes can be totally misleading in the number as sometimes the game can sold like crazy but in a stupidly low price. Check Valkyria Chronicle in the West.^^

However putting all the bags only on FW is also stupid as in some case, some games can had a very strong leg and still sold at reasonable price.(Most Nintendo leggy games.)

So, i can see where Chris come from but i also feel that disregarding FW like at all is not correct.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Anecdotal evidence, but Switch was sold out everywhere, while Zelda is available everywhere except one store I checked.

It's possible there was a re-stock for Zelda this week, if we assume the blog from the post back from February 20th meant what we think (i.e. a recap of preorders / first shipment ratio).

duckroll

At 300 dollars the Switch is not a portable market device. No matter what you want to believe. It just isn't. When Nintendo is serious about replacing the 3DS with the Switch, you will see the new SKU.

Lol, what was even happening on the last page?

Anyway, kinda hard to tell anything from those Switch sales, given it was sold out and fell right in the normal range of console launches. Pretty sweet from Zelda, though I'm more interested in seeing what the other software has done.

Shiggy

At 300 dollars the Switch is not a portable market device. No matter what you want to believe. It just isn't. When Nintendo is serious about replacing the 3DS with the Switch, you will see the new SKU.

The Switch launch price was less than 5000 JPY above the 3DS launch price.

SalvaPot

Anecdotal evidence, but Switch was sold out everywhere, while Zelda is available everywhere except one store I checked.

I only saw the Wii U version available, Switch Zelda was sold out at all of them in my experience.

Also I planned to get a Switch at release here in Japan, but I fucked up thinking it was March 2 when it was actually March 3 aaand missed my chance window, I gues I'll have to play when I go back to Mexico...

cw_sasuke

That's likely but that sku will still be based on the Switch architecture and likely play the same games. Thought the discussion was about the type of games Switch is getting this year compared to what a 3DS follow up would get.

If you look at the first 3DS year it's pretty much the same. A more portable Switch SKU will just be an expansion of the Switch market and ecosystem and not something completely new.

At the end of the day Switch is just a buffed up portable that can be sold at a console price while the 3DS is still selling. Next year they will add the cheaper and more portable Switch Sku for 20k yen with access to the whole library and try to reach the 3DS hardware numbers.

cw_sasuke

The 3DS that had to get an emergency price drop and an ambassador program?
Mostly because it tanked in western markets... Sales in Japan were solid they also MH ready for the holidays. Then again they also came into that generation with DS type expectations... Something that isn't the goal anymore after 3DS/WiiU and the current state of the market post smartphones.

Switch price is much more justifiable even if your focus is the portable mode compared to the 3DS. Also Zelda BotW, MK8D and Splatoon 2 in the first couple months is much better then what the 3DS had to offer.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Mostly because it tanked in western markets... Sales in Japan were solid they also MH ready for the holidays. Then again they also came into that generation with DS type expectations... Something that isn't the goal anymore after 3DS/WiiU and the current state of the market post smartphones.

Switch price is much more justifiable even if your focus is the portable mode compared to the 3DS. Also Zelda BotW, MK8D and Splatoon 2 in the first couple months is much better then what the 3DS had to offer.

Eh, it's still $50 with a spare release schedule there's no way it doesn't run into the same problems the 3DS has. MH hasn't even been announced for it yet.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
3DS launching at 25k yen didn't make it less of a portable before its price dropped at 15k.

I don't see any plan "This year we will push it as home console, next year as a portable".

It's pretty obvious Switch is as a hybrid, Nintendo has merged handheld and home console development teams and software output for 3DS and Wii U last years confirm that.

cw_sasuke

Eh, it's still $50 with a spare release schedule there's no way it doesn't run into the same problems the 3DS has. MH hasn't even been announced for it yet.
The type of problems exist for every new hardware.. That's how it's works in the first year.Switch still has a more robust first party schedule and that's even before e3 and the likely fall conference.

I didn't say that MH was or will be announced for Switch.

WiiU a dead system with no future was kept afloat for like 18 months on Splatoon alone... So expecting Splatoon 2 to keep Switch going until the Fall/Holidays when the next batch of titles including Mario Odyssey isn't that unreasonable.

lherre

Accurate
3DS launching at 25k yen didn't make it less of a portable before its price dropped at 15k.

I don't see any plan "This year we will push it as home console, next year as a portable".

It's pretty obvious Switch is as a hybrid, Nintendo has merged handheld and home console development teams and software output for 3DS and Wii U last years confirm that.

I'm not really sure since 3DS has games to launch this year but Wii U not, so at least in the western territorires I think the push for switch is as a Wii U replacement first. In Japan it could be different.

Well, the Switch must moves hardware and software in the next months. If it doesn't significantly outperform PS4 and 3ds from the gate then Nintendo has a problem.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
The type of problems exist for every new hardware.. That's how it's works in the first year.Switch still has a more robust first party schedule and that's even before e3 and the likely fall conference.

I didn't say that MH was or will be announced for Switch.

WiiU a dead system with no future was kept afloat for like 18 months on Splatoon alone... So expecting Splatoon 2 to keep Switch going until the Fall/Holidays when the next batch of titles including Mario Odyssey isn't that unreasonable.
True but how badly that situation can limit a systems overall potential which is why Nintendo exposed itself and cut the price. Nintendo is just as much poring this thing to attract 3rd parties as it is to consumers. Systems being super dead after launch will not cause third parties to rush towards you (which Nintendo desperately needs right now). Next few months will signal a lot.

Aki-at

That's a great result for Zelda because we don't know Wii U and digital sales (Not that I'm expecting much for the latter) would mean there's some growth over the previous mainline.

Well, the Switch must moves hardware and software in the next months. If it doesn't significantly outperform PS4 and 3ds from the gate then Nintendo has a problem.

They have a clear problem with Switch.
It's price related, marketing related but also more importantly game related.

Mario007

It might. But right now it's 300 bucks.
Right but in all honesty that doesn't disqualify this being a handheld. Vita plus smallest memory card at launch was around 300 too. I mean. 3ds was 250 which, at the time, many would consider too much for a handheld.

daxgame

I could be wrong but I can't see it happening until the summer, there's nothing releasing.
Post E3\Splatoon 2 is where things get serious imho

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Right but in all honesty that doesn't disqualify this being a handheld. Vita plus smallest memory card at launch was around 300 too. I mean. 3ds was 250 which, at the time, many would consider too much for a handheld.
Vita sold like shit past launch and jas poor lifetime sales. You really helping his point.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Well, it's far better than what Twilight Princess performed on Wii in the first week (39%).
I just had a bit higher expectation (above 70%).

With 1-2-Switch proving in the end itself strong in Japan and looking at previous launch software ratios, Zelda would have a hard time going over 70%.

cw_sasuke

True but how badly that situation can limit a systems overall potential which is why Nintendo exposed itself and cut the price. Nintendo is just as much poring this thing to attract 3rd parties as it is to consumers. Systems being super dead after launch will not cause third parties to rush towards you (which Nintendo desperately needs right now). Next few months will signal a lot.
I mean no one is disagreeing with that. I only added my commentary because duckroll was arguing about the Switch lineup being console game focused when the 3DS had a pretty similar lineup in its first year.

Switch or not the more powerful the portables become the more obsolete Nintendo's home systems become. WiiUs biggest competitor was the 3DS. Smash Bros., 3D Mario, Fire Emblem etc. all these previous home console titles performed better on 3DS.

Switch ecosystem is their next portable...Otherwise we wouldn't have GameFreak preparing Pokémon titles for it or main FE being announced for 2018.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
I'm not really sure since 3DS has games to launch this year but Wii U not, so at least in the western territorires I think the push for switch is as a Wii U replacement first. In Japan it could be different.

3DS relevance is a little over zero at west, only Pokemon kept it alive. It doesn't make big difference what Nintendo will launch for it.

I mean no one is disagreeing with that. I only added my commentary because duckroll was arguing about the Switch lineup being console game focused when the 3DS had a pretty similar lineup in its first year.

Switch or not the more powerful the portables become the more obsolete Nintendo's home systems become. WiiUs biggest competitor was the 3DS. Smash Bros., 3D Mario, Fire Emblem etc. all these previous home console titles performed better on 3DS.

Switch ecosystem is their next portable...Otherwise we wouldn't have GameFreak preparing Pokémon titles for it or main FE being announced for 2018.

After Nintendo addressed the possibility of Pokemon on Switch by bringing up console spin offs and implying that they're viewing the switch as a console?

duckroll

Again I think people are arguing against something that isn't what I said. Of course it's a handheld. I mean, that's part of the function. I'm saying that the audience that will buy into a hardware at this price and with the current software line-up, will skew heavily to console rather than portable. The games that the mass portable market wants are not on the Switch yet, and the Switch is too expensive to really replace the 3DS at this point. That is -all- I've ever been saying.

You don't need to convince me that the Switch is a handheld, I played BotW on the bus yesterday. What you need to ask is "who is the current release for"? Nintendo can talk all they want about "merging" portable and console development pipelines, but that doesn't change the fact that there are still differences in taste within the market. People prefer playing certain type of games at home, and they prefer certain types of games on the go and with friends outside. I feel like sometimes people just want to ignore all that to argue some factual point about whether it is or isn't something when the reality is that it's a market dynamic we can talk about.

Nintendo is not selling the Switch to the portable audience this year. It might be intentional, it might a consequence of how their pipelines ended up, but for 2017 the 3DS is still very much in play as the dedicated portable of choice. Meanwhile the WiiU has already been cremated.

So it was not a portable market device before the price drop?

Not an attractive enough one. Or there wouldn't have been a price drop.

Hero

They are touting Switch as a Wii U replacement right now instead of a 3DS replacement in the worst case scenario that Switch tanks and they can still get sales on 3DS for the remainder of the year. Ite the DS 'third pillar' speak where they didn't want to kill the GBA for a little while.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
DS 'third pillar' talk would make sense if there was evidence Nintendo had indeed something else planned in case DS failed. There hasn't been any alternative so far for any failed console they had.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
DS 'third pillar' talk would make sense if there was evidence Nintendo had indeed something else planned in case DS failed. There hasn't been any alternative so far for any failed console they had.

Well yeah it's called saving face. They were hedging their bets with PR of that nature. If the DS had truly bombed (like really really bombed), they would have transitioned back to the GBA advance until they could bring out the Super Gmaeboy or whatever.

Celine

Well yeah it's called saving face. They were hedging their bets with PR of that nature. If the DS had truly bombed (like really really bombed), they would have transitioned back to the GBA advance until they could bring out the Super Gmaeboy or whatever.
Well they were making a kind of straight successor of the GBA, codenamed IRIS, but then Yamauchi ordered to include two screen in the device and the rest is history.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius

Transitioning back to GBA when development teams were on DS wasn't happening.

If Switch fails they won't move back to 3DS.

D.Lo

Transitioning back to GBA when development teams were on DS wasn't happening.
That's not what third pillar meant, it meant there would be another generation of GB (GB Next or whatever) if the DS failed.

If the Switch fails, they can go 'oh well, here's our new DS Advance' as planned all along'.

In the current case, they also need to keep the 3DS going until the Switch (or Switch Micro or whatever) is at a kids price point. It's still selling well so why not.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
I know what third pillar meant, since it never existed before for failed systems it's hard to believe there is a plan ready for it happening now.

daxgame

3DS relevance is a little over zero at west, only Pokemon kept it alive. It doesn't make big difference what Nintendo will launch for it.

That's not true. Can't speak about America but here in Europe several 3DS games have been hits, like Yokai Watch, Animal Crossing and Tomodachi Life. It is true that HW sales overall aren't that big but, I mean, the console shipped around 65mln and it's not like Japan alone is half that. I agree though that there's nothing left significant for the west for 3DS (maybe FE will do decently)

cw_sasuke

Between mobile games and Switch titles there aren't any resources left for another upcoming platform unless it plays Switch and/or mobile titles. So from a development standpoint nothing will change for Nintendo.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
That's not true. Can't speak about America but here in Europe several 3DS games have been hits, like Yokai Watch, Animal Crossing and Tomodachi Life. It is true that HW sales overall aren't that big but, I mean, the console shipped around 65mln and it's not like Japan alone is half that. I agree though that there's nothing left significant for the west for 3DS (maybe FE will do decently)

The only recent game from these is Yo-kai and I wouldn't call it a hit in terms of absolute numbers. For what it is sure but far from a game that makes the difference.

Europe was the weakest market for previous FE, this one won't do better.

Top Bottom