• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 8, 2017 (Feb 20 - Feb 26)

Zedark

There is a small chance, since Zelda is split between SKUs. I doubt it will have outsold Zelda WiiU+Switch. It will have to do 200k, though, which is massive for a Western game, but it is charting high (first quite often) in individual retailers' charts.

Curious if Zelda has legs in Japan or gains momentum again as soon as Splatoon 2 is released... or if it is dwarfed by Splatoon and other later bigger hitters.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
This is a pretty unnecessary detail given the user never asserted it would have similar LTD numbers. Seems more like you're attempting to downplay its strong opening.

Nobody cares for first week sales, LTD is the only that matters. One is a launch title, the other isn't.

I'm attempting to downplay Horizon's strong opening? OK.

eFKac

Sooo is horuhe making this week's Media Create thread? :p

I wouldn't mind a change, it went very smooth last time iirc.

casiopao

We could assume with digital it is certainly over 200k though.

This is also only 2 days of tracking, shouldn't it had at least one or two more days for this week? I think once we see the sell through percentage we can get an idea of how many might have had to buy digital.

200k i agree will be easily doable.^^ But, i don't think it will come close to 300k like at all lol.

My prediction is soo dead hiks.T_T

duckroll

"Nintendo will keep releasing big first party titles at 3DS" - duckroll

After Fire Emblem will be Pokemon. But I'm sure you'll come up with some lame excuse about how it doesn't count or whatever. Or how it won't sell well. And then when it does, maybe no one cares? I'm not sure. Remind me.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
After Fire Emblem will be Pokemon. But I'm sure you'll come up with some lame excuse about how it doesn't count or whatever. Or how it won't sell well. And then when it does, maybe no one cares? I'm not sure. Remind me.

You know, DS received a new Pokemon almost 2 years after 3DS was out. I never spoke for Pokemon not getting another entry on 3DS or what it will sell and we still wait to see who will be right for FE or what it will sell that "big" title.

duckroll

You know, DS received a new Pokemon almost 2 years after 3DS was out. I never spoke for Pokemon not getting another entry on 3DS or what it will sell and we still wait to see who will be right for FE or what it will sell that "big" title.

So what are you even talking about? Like, it doesn't seem like you really disagree with anything, you just say things sometimes to argue for the sake of arguing. What's the point? Before the FE Direct I was pointing out that there will probably be one more FE on 3DS before they move on to the Switch, and that Nintendo would continue to support the 3DS as the main portable console through 2017. They will have portable plans for the Switch from 2018 onwards. That's exactly how it is playing out. They announced FE Echos on 3DS and FE Warriors on New 3DS as well. The series will be headed to the Switch after that, but there are no quick Switch ports or secret Switch FE games this year because the 3DS is still in play.

You shouldn't be so dismissive of other people when you fundamentally agree. No one here said Nier will outsell Zelda in LTD. But having a close launch is a great sign that Nier has expanded on its popularity significantly. Obviously people will care about that. Saying no one cares about FW in a sales thread where we debate weekly sales every week is... just stupid.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
So what are you even talking about? Like, it doesn't seem like you really disagree with anything, you just say things sometimes to argue for the sake of arguing. What's the point? Before the FE Direct I was pointing out that there will probably be one more FE on 3DS before they move on to the Switch, and that Nintendo would continue to support the 3DS as the main portable console through 2017. They will have portable plans for the Switch from 2018 onwards. That's exactly how it is playing out. They announced FE Echos on 3DS and FE Warriors on New 3DS as well. The series will be headed to the Switch after that, but there are no quick Switch ports or secret Switch FE games this year because the 3DS is still in play.

No, we disagree. For me Nintendo is almost done with 3DS for software (for mainstream titles that has happened long time ago). All internal teams have moved to Switch and what's coming out is almost complete at development.

I don't see any plan of Switch being home console this year and portable next one.

Saying no one cares about FW in a sales thread where we debate weekly sales every week is... just stupid.

OK, let me rephrase if it's not obvious what I mean (even if I have mentioned the same thing many times before).

LTD>>>first week in terms of importance.

daxgame

I thought Zelda would break 200k, oh well.
I don't think it did badly, just surprised that there are so many people who bought a Switch without it.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
No, we disagree. For me Nintendo is almost done with 3DS for software (for mainstream titles that has happened long time ago). All internal teams have moved to Switch and what's coming out is almost complete at development.

I don't see any plan of Switch being home console this year and portable next one.
What's the fundamental difference between these two statements though. Major Nintendo fans don't have a turnaround of less than one year. Stuff that's released this year will be left over scraps while development moved to the switch. Simply still have first party releases this year which we know they have can be construed as support.

The appreciable difference is minor. Only measurable would be level of marketing if that.

Indeed. Going by all the pre-release talk in this thread, this is a disappointing result.
No it's not it means switch owners found other worthwhile games to buy. Which is far more meaningful for the systems long term life than everyone buying Zelda. Zelda still sold well.

duckroll

I don't disagree with any of that. Obviously anything coming out this year is almost done. That's like... obvious? They're not going to start making 3DS games today. But they will continue to release 3DS games which are meant for a portable audience. Stuff like BotW, Arms, Splatoon, and Mario Odyssey are very clearly console style games. The portable style games will come later because Nintendo is focused on replacing the WiiU first.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Switch had a pretty good debut, considering it seemingly sold basically its initial first shipment.
Zelda did well, but less than what we thought in terms of attach ratio. Still, it's possible Zelda was stock limited as well. Do you remember what the blog postes several days ago, from which we tried to guess first shipments for several Switch games (*incoming duckroll mocking at me for my Disgaea 5's 60k prediction*)?

http://neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=230653551&postcount=374

The blog is leaking/sharing some information about the Switch. But not sure if this is pre-order status or pre-orders share, or pre-orders based on total shipment or what. For the moment let's share it.

[NSW] The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - 70%
[NSW] 1-2-Switch - 10%
[NSW] Bomberman R - 20%

Wall

[WIU] The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - 20%
[NSW] Dragon Quest Heroes 1-2 - 20%
[NSW] PuyoPuyo Tetris - 10%
[NSW] Disgaea 5 - 10%

Wall

[NSW] I am Setsuna - 0%
[NSW] Nobunaga's Ambition - 0%

_____

This is exaclty how he wrote it.

We all assumed this is the pre-orders / first shipment ratio. In that case, as of February 20th, 2017, 70% of initial Zelda's shipment was already preordered. Unless they decided last minute to ship more copies, it's possible Zelda encountered shortages as well.

noshten

I was expecting something along the lines of 80% attach rate for Zelda.
Still thinking it is going to be the Switchs first million seller and get there before MK8D drops.
Wonder how many people bought the Wii U version.

By selling around 650k in March and another 350k in April.

I wish Nintendo had released a solid party game instead of Tech-Demo-Switch. Clearly, people are looking for something other than Zelda, but that something should have been high quality too. Wii Sports and NintendoLand have their flaws but they're very solid games, especially for launch. But a 58 on Metacritic for a high profile Nintendo game is not good. Whatever it sells and how much hardware it sells, it could be much more with the right party game.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
I don't disagree with any of that. Obviously anything coming out this year is almost done. That's like... obvious? They're not going to start making 3DS games today. But they will continue to release 3DS games which are meant for a portable audience. Stuff like BotW, Arms, Splatoon, and Mario Odyssey are very clearly console style games. The portable style games will come later because Nintendo is focused on replacing the WiiU first.

If it's so obvious to everyone I must start seeing the numerous posts or threads for Switch not being the successor of 3DS (even in MC threads) as full of trolls and ignorance.

Again, I don't agree with Switch getting only home console support this year. That's not the marketing push I expect for Splattoon.

StereoVsn

Strange, Zelda numbers seem low, what are people getting for the Switch, Disgaea 5 and Setsuna? I can't see Zelda digital number percentage being high with essentially Nintendo handheld console that has low internal space and requires separate microSD cards. Maybe 10% as a high level and likely lower.

What are the 3DS average percentage for digital sales of retail games for things like Pokémon or FE or say handheld Zeldas?

Wollan

Well, it's far better than what Twilight Princess performed on Wii in the first week (39%).
I just had a bit higher expectation (above 70%).
Wii had exciting fresh new releases like Wii Sports however, good alternatives. Zelda is it this time around outside of a weak 2-1 Switch (and ports of older titles mainly).

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Strange, Zelda numbers seem low, what are people getting for the Switch, Disgaea 5 and Setsuna? I can't see Zelda digital number percentage being high with essentially Nintendo handheld console that has low internal space and requires separate microSD cards. Maybe 10% as a high level and likely lower.

What are the 3DS average percentage for digital sales of retail games for things like Pokémon or FE or say handheld Zeldas?
Clearly it's Disgaea 5 the switch is the vita 2.

Celine

I wish Nintendo had released a solid party game instead of Tech-Demo-Switch. Clearly, people are looking for something other than Zelda, but that something should have been high quality too. Wii Sports and NintendoLand have their flaws but they're very solid games, especially for launch. But a 58 on Metacritic for a high profile Nintendo game is not good. Whatever it sells and how much hardware it sells, it could be much more with the right party game.
1,2 Switch is a bit different compared to Wii Sports and Nintendo Land.
Its strength lies in its shallowness/lack of depth, extreme accessibility and the silliness of the situation it brought in.
It's an electronic toy to bring out during parties and less of a gamey experience.
I agree with you that Nintendo Land was a very good game but I also think it lacked sales power.

B.O.O.M

Nobody cares for first week sales, LTD is the only that matters. One is a launch title, the other isn't.

I'm attempting to downplay Horizon's strong opening? OK.

Would be shocked if any company with any business sense agrees to the bolded. How the hell does first week sales does not matter? Both first week sales and LTD sales are important. Especially when you consider most games sell for peanuts later on, at which point it's arguably less about profit and is more about expanding the target consumer base. This is especially true for new/niche IPs.

hiska-kun

Anecdotal evidence, but Switch was sold out everywhere, while Zelda is available everywhere except one store I checked.

Top Bottom