• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 9, 2012 (Feb 27 - Mar 04)

- They're putting Time Travelers on THREE platforms, indicating that they are not as sure of the 3DS as an exclusive platform for that game.
I think they're going multi with TT because Hino wants it to sell 500k (lololol). I wouldn't be surprised if more ports were in it's future to hit that.

- They continue to put DS sequels on 3DS because it makes sense, but because of the smaller installed base they are selling less right now.

Smaller installed base + brand fatigue, imo. Btw, I think Level-5 expected lower results (Inazuma Eleven 2&3 were million sellers or so, while Layton was in decline with the fourth one); they should expect better LTD for the successors: with Layton they can play with the fact that this will be the last episode, while for Inazuma Eleven they could rely on a wider installed base (more kids).

- Their attempts to make a big major RPG series with Ninokuni has pretty much failed on both the DS and the PS3.

Ni no Kuni on PS3 was a true bomb, I agree, but I can see some potential for the brand elsewhere. I mean, Ni no Kuni on DS was overshipped, price cut, etc. but it still moved over 500k. Maybe, jRPG-friendly environment on DS helped.

- They're putting Time Travelers on THREE platforms, indicating that they are not as sure of the 3DS as an exclusive platform for that game.

I think they were never sure of that, since it was announced multiplatform from the beginning. Imo, it started as a PSP project, but being on so many platform could also be positive sales-wise. Don't you agree?

- Gundam AGE is a huge failure and Hino's credibility as a hitmaker in the creative industry has definitely suffered.

I agree.

- They seem to be having problems with getting games which they announced ages ago to come out. Fantasy Life and Phoenix Wright vs Layton are still totally MIA.

That's true for Fantasy Life, though BrownieBrown is involved, but the crossover does have a big potential (Phoenix Wright lovers are a strong fanbase, it seems); it was present at both TGS and Level-5 World / Vision and since it's probably an end-2012 release, it will be pushed from the Summer (at least, I hope!).

- It looks like Girls RPG isn't going to take them anywhere new in terms of demographics either.

Yeah, Girls RPG seems to bomb hard.

Overall, to me Level-5 needs to stabilize a bit. Some projects were totally a failure, but 2011 was not so bad as many here think (I mean, IE Xtreme and LBX Boost sold pretty well to be cheap expansion, IE GO managed to sell the first shipment without massive price-drops, etc.), and it still has some chance to improve; probably, it should be better for Hino to focus on less things, instead of throwing out 20 projects at the same time. Luckily for him, Nintendo is still interested in localizing Layton & Inazuma Eleven, and that's for sure something important for the company.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Phoenix Wright v.s. Professor Layton has been shown recently at the AA event, when they showed some of the animated cutscenes from Bones. And that was in the end of January.

Celine

- Their attempts to make a big major RPG series with Ninokuni has pretty much failed on both the DS and the PS3.
While it missed the expectation and it sold the first shipment only after a price slash I wouldn't call Ninokuni on DS a failure.
PS3 game on the other hand was a huge bomba.

Or maybe they are doubting the game sale potential.
If I remember right their public expectation were quite high.
BTW have they revealed the genre?

muu

Little Brawlers and Gundam AGE are competing for the same audience (in terms of selling plastic model toys, the real money-maker), so it wouldn't exactly be surprising if Hino's deliberately trying to run AGE into the ground. Reputation lost within core users isn't going to do shit in terms of reception from casual users, after all: most people will simply write it off as a crappy Gundam, or Sunrise/Bamco doing an awful job creating a new series.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Phoenix Wright v.s. Professor Layton has been shown recently at the AA event, when they showed some of the animated cutscenes from Bones. And that was in the end of January.

I personally would consider that a no show in the same way I would consider a new CG trailer for Versus a no show.

You know the best thing for Sony to do would probably be to get Capcom to port MH4 to the PSP. Least gives them breathing space to hold onto some of their user base.
(Capcom will not develop it any time soon for Vita - no reason to take on the costs)

Just a wee thought really. Cause if MH4 is an exclusive on 3DS? I think that'll be the final 'death' for PSP in Japan (which still sells well software wise), and Sony will be left in the cold. All their significant user-base will be moving to a new system, and developers will follow (already are - see Capcom)

On the hilarious hype fail o a webcast alot of people have asked why developers arn't backing Vita. The truth is that outside of Nintendo there are NO significant large portable franchise holders out there. Capcom? Yeah and their expanding (their like a second Nintendo atm) their products.

What other developers are there to offer the killer apps? Am sure I'll have some people telling me how Vita is for console gaming on the move, but ofc that failed and was shown to be flawed with the PSP (something developers noted, and so haven't really jumped on board), so its not going to happen nor is it going to sell systems.

The good good niche games also won't sell. Why? Cause their niche and the install base is so tiny that they won't be able to achieve anything significant.

So am going to say it now, I've held off:
Vita is doomed.

duckroll

With the difference that PLvsPW was playable in October at Level-5 event.

It was? Were there any impressions? How does the game play? What systems does it use? Do you play as PW or as Layton? Does it play like the 3DS Layton in terms of movement between areas? Are there Layton puzzles?

test_account

XP-39C²
What other developers are there to offer the killer apps? Am sure I'll have some people telling me how Vita is for console gaming on the move, but ofc that failed and was shown to be flawed with the PSP (something developers noted, and so haven't really jumped on board), so its not going to happen nor is it going to sell systems.
Since you talk about the importance of MH, i'm assuming that you're only talking about Japan. And are you saying that the developers havnt really jumped on board on Japan for the PSP?

Since you talk about the importance of MH, i'm assuming that you're only talking about Japan.

Generally yeah, but the games market outside of Japan is pretty dire atm, and the handheld market even worse. For the next 2 years at least Japan is needed for developers to have real success.

And are you saying that the developers havnt really jumped on board on Japan for the PSP?

As I say - PSP software sells well. Thats the point. If MH4 is on 3DS-only those developers will jump with the customers to the 3DS.

test_account

XP-39C²
Generally yeah, but the games market outside of Japan is pretty dire atm, and the handheld market even worse. For the next 2 years at least Japan is needed for developers to have real success.

As I say - PSP software sells well. Thats the point. If MH4 is on 3DS-only those developers will jump with the customers to the 3DS.
If you talk about Japan, then i dont see why you make a comment about developers havnt jumped on board the PSP. If you were referring to the western market, then i understand (hence why i asked =)).

EDIT: Sure, no western handheld game have really made much of an impact in Japan when it comes to sale numbers, at least not from what i can remember. The GTA games have sold pretty good, but "only" a few hundred thousands if i remember correctly.

Thanks. It looks like they focused on PW for the demo. That's an interesting decision, considering how Layton is actually the bigger series, and Level-5 is developing the game. A bit disappointing for me, since I prefer Layton.

Regardless personal tastes, that's something more concrete than what we have seen of Versus XIII in 6 years. They didn't show too much, but they did show gameplay parts, even though just for Phoenix' part (I bet Layton's part will be more exploration).

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
sinobi is not very sure for the performance of Nobunaga Pokemon as the demographics for each franchise don't match and is hard to find similarities between them.

Preorders reflect that.

nordique

I think Level5 is a bit more lost than usual right now. They started out with excellent success on the DS, and for a time they were perfectly confident of putting out stuff on the right system. But now with the DS being displaced, it seems they are no longer as sure as they used to be.

- They continue to put DS sequels on 3DS because it makes sense, but because of the smaller installed base they are selling less right now.

- Gundam AGE is a huge failure and Hino's credibility as a hitmaker in the creative industry has definitely suffered.

- They seem to be having problems with getting games which they announced ages ago to come out. Fantasy Life and Phoenix Wright vs Layton are still totally MIA.

- It looks like Girls RPG isn't going to take them anywhere new in terms of demographics either.

You don't think its just part of their "up and down" cycle? They may very well be on an "up" path again, though I generally agree that they are not the best of shape currently

Then I don't see the reason for the creation of this spin-off.
Because:
L783N.jpg

Mpl90

sinobi is not very sure for the performance of Nobunaga Pokemon as the demographics for each franchise don't match and is hard to find similarities between them.

Preorders reflect that.

Oh, finally they'll flop on DS, and FINALLY they'll start bringing the goods to 3DS, after B&W2. I know, it's not allowed port-begging, but I'll do it regardless of what any of you say, MUAHAHHA.

LOL

This is going to be really interesting to watch, since it's pretty rare to see such a singular crossover...no?

You don't think its just part of their "up and down" cycle? They may very well be on an "up" path again, though I generally agree that they are not the best of shape currently

I don't think they had a lot of 'ups and downs' so far. They started self-publishing their games last generation with Layton and from there it only went up for them (aside from some extremely low-budget puzzle games). The sequels were reasonably successful and shortly after that they launched another successful franchise with Inazuma. Somewhere around IE 2 they reached their peak and it was all downhill from there. And I'm not sure when that'll stop. Maybe if Little Battlers somehow replicates the same jump Inazuma did from 1->2. I very much doubt that, though.

Metallix87

Then I don't see the reason for the creation of this spin-off.

It'll sell a good amount of copies, make a decent profit, and keep DS fans waiting to upgrade to 3DS happy. It seems logical enough.

It'll probably do a lot better in the West, with the right branding and marketing.

Preorders reflect that.

The crossover never made sense to me, but it's a Pokemon SRPG, it should clear 500K easily... right?

Goli

http://andriasang.com/con093/3ds_psp_little_battler/

So

[PSP] Little Battler Xperience W ( sequel )
[3DS] Little Battler Xperience Baku Boost ( new version of the first one )

And also this could be interesting to talk about

http://andriasang.com/con094/inazuma_eleven_time_travel/

I don't think there's much to talk about since neither of those Danball Senki games are confirmed yet, it's all just rumors for now (and the picture we can't post here), and for the Inazuma Eleven thing, it just cements what duckroll said earlier.
I remember a few days ago someone made a thread about this gen's biggest happenings or something like that, and someone put something like "Level 5's rise to dev. stardom" or something around those lines... but s/he forgot their fall.
Before they fall deeper I just hope they (or some other company) bring over Cinderelife, I love those dress-up thingies (I loved Style Savvy), and also if they do, THEY BETTER KEEP TUXEDO MASK.

Mpl90

I don't think there's much to talk about since neither of those Danball Senki games are confirmed yet, it's all just rumors for now (and the picture we can't post here), and for the Inazuma Eleven thing, it just cements what duckroll said earlier.
I remember a few days ago someone made a thread about this gen's biggest happenings or something like that, and someone put something like "Level 5's rise to dev. stardom" or something around those lines... but s/he forgot their fall.
Before they fall deeper I just hope they (or some other company) bring over Cinderelife, I love those dress-up thingies (I loved Style Savvy), and also if they do, THEY BETTER KEEP TUXEDO MASK.

Modified my post since there was the scan. :p

What's happening right now to Level 5 is the consequence of relying too much on brands which have been milked too much, especially with new triologies, so new story arks which don't seem to interest who bought the other games so far. And the only new successful IP they created has been Ninokuni, which did a lot on 500k... but then it flopped on PS3, with a wrong release both in terms of the game itself and the price and the platform, given the games' target.

There will be more chance of pachinko games getting loacalised and becomming bigger than pokemon than cinderlife ever leaving japan

If you talk about Japan, then i dont see why you make a comment about developers havnt jumped on board the PSP. If you were referring to the western market, then i understand (hence why i asked =)).

EDIT: Sure, no western handheld game have really made much of an impact in Japan when it comes to sale numbers, at least not from what i can remember. The GTA games have sold pretty good, but "only" a few hundred thousands if i remember correctly.

I said at the start PSP software sold well.
Problem is it didn't go beyond that and DS software sold much much better,

Mpl90

Since we're approaching KH3D release date, I'd like to know how's the hype in Japan for the game, if it's already present now.

saichi

so Little Battler Experience 1 makes its way to 3DS. Wouldn't be surprise Level-5 is testing market and trying to build the fan base for future game(s) form the series.

Did we know anything more about Youkai Watch? Is it platform still unknown?

Busaiku

so Little Battler Experience 1 makes its way to 3DS. Wouldn't be surprise Level-5 is testing market and trying to build the fan base for future game(s) form the series.

Did we know anything more about Youkai Watch? Is it platform still unknown?

I'd think it's more likely based off of Little Battlers Boost.
And we still don't know much about Youkai Watch.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
How can Pokemon mechanics work at a Musou game? It will face the same problem again, it won't be a Pokemon game.

Pokémon Rumble is similar in many aspects to a Musou game. Waves of mooks, boss fights, different characters having different yet similar attacks.

Top Bottom