• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 9, 2012 (Feb 27 - Mar 04)

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
when 3DS went though the game drought didn't GAF say that Sony wont make the same mistake with Vita?

Why Didnt Sony take any notice of nintendo's software problems?
It takes years to make software; it's impossible to adjust with that knowledge in a matter of months.

Who cares about this fight, I want to have a good summary of retailer reports about what happened in Japan on the first day. Especially because I want to see MGS 3D doing not good!

Dat fight...
The real fight is MGS3D first week vs Vita Hardware.

Who will triumph?

Right so Vita has fuck all out? So basically what everyone said since they announced it?

Seriously can't be arsed with some of the arguements on here. Am sure we'll get a stupid comment about MH4 claiming its a fucking saviour and not that its non-exclusive or produced for 3DS, or that somehow Japan is made up of fucking predictable twats who those in the West can mock and make predictions on.

Just can't. Vita is a flop and nothing looks to pick it up. FACT.

This is no slight on Sony, who should follow PSP in Japan for a while, ffs Vita works as a next-gen to 3DS - LAUNCH IT LATER! Not now, ffs.

jman2050

The same reason they didn't with the PSP.
They simply don't care about their handheld enough.

I don't really believe this. I don't think Vita's software situation is a case of they wouldn't, I think it's rather a case of they can't.

Nintendo jumped on the chance to court third parties and, it seems so far, they've won that battle handily. Without third parties Sony has nothing.

nickcv

I don't really believe this. I don't think Vita's software situation is a case of they wouldn't, I think it's rather a case of they can't.

Nintendo jumped on the chance to court third parties and, it seems so far, they've won that battle handily. Without third parties Sony has nothing.
and who do they have to blame for that?

you cannot rely completely on 3rd parties

jman2050

and who they have to blame for that?

you cannot rely completely on 3rd parties

That was the point. I don't think that's a reflection on any recent abrupt failings on the part of Sony, that's just endemic of almost two decades of how Sony has positioned their gaming business. That long-term problem bearing fruit is why they've been scrambling over the last few years gobbling up studios and desperately trying to throw as many games against the wall as possible until something sticks. And that just won't work.

But that's just it.
An entire generation where they let the PSP basically be destroyed until Capcom came along and graced them with Monster Hunter, and they don't even try and secure anything away from Nintendo?
That's a complete lack of caring.

Sony got lazy after PS2 was a bomb. They just expect others to flock to them. Seriously imagine if the 360 never existed, PS3 would still be okay, but it'd probably have a pretty hard time!

Vita was poorly launched and even worse was Sony's software for it. I just don't think they understand handhelds, and never have.

jman2050

But that's just it.
An entire generation where they let the PSP basically be destroyed until Capcom came along and graced them with Monster Hunter, and they don't even try and secure anything away from Nintendo?

Sony can only do so much to court Capcom before hurting themselves. That's another less heralded side effect of Sony's PS3 disaster and financial woes: Sony no longer has the resources to assert themselves against their competitors in the gaming space.

Not first week vs LTD.

First week vs Vita's hardware next week.

I could see MGS at 10k and Vita HW at 9ish.

i'm a bit more optomistic for mgs i'd say between 15k and 25k the bundles alone should probably be a couple of k, girls rpg should be between 4k and 10k just right for a fight with vita at 9k

nickcv

the question now is:

even assuming that right now Sony is working full force on building an handheld IP that they could rely on when they are on a dry spell (let's say for the sake of this hypothesis a MH clone) how long do you think it would take them to actually
finish development
launch the game
attract possible buyers
establish the franchise well enough to effect somehow their hw (i'm not talking about establishing the franchise to the level of a pokemon or mh, that wouldn't be realistic, i'm just talking about damage control)

matmanx1

Sony got lazy after PS2 was a bomb. They just expect others to flock to them. Seriously imagine if the 360 never existed, PS3 would still be okay, but it'd probably have a pretty hard time!

Vita was poorly launched and even worse was Sony's software for it. I just don't think they understand handhelds, and never have.

Possibly so. I do think they've done a good job with the PS3 in the second half of it's life with the redesign and price adjustments and at least a couple of world class franchises, Uncharted chief among those. They have concentrated on studios and gaming experiences that more closely align to western tastes and the PS3 has benefited somewhat from that while the Vita is suffering for it in Japan.

the question now is:

even assuming that right now Sony is working full force on building an handheld IP that they could rely on when they are on a dry spell (let's say for the sake of this hypothesis a MH clone) how long do you think it would take them to actually
finish development
launch the game
attract possible buyer
establish the franchise well enough to effect somehow their hw (i'm not talking about establishing the franchise to the level of a pokemon of mh, that wouldn't be realistic, i'm just talking about damage control)

If they start now vita will be discontinued by the time its out

the question now is:

finish development
launch the game
attract possible buyer
establish the franchise well enough to effect somehow their hw (i'm not talking about establishing the franchise to the level of a pokemon of mh, that wouldn't be realistic, i'm just talking about damage control)

As far as Japan goes, I think it's already too late. There's a userbase gap of 4.5 million between Vita and 3DS. By this Summer it will be above 5 million. One game isn't going to make Vita the more viable platform to base your game around no matter how successful it is.

so their only saving grace is waiting for a 3rd party to miraculously save the platform?

So... do what they did with the PSP.
Can lightning strike twice?
Doubtful...

I questioned, long before the 3DS was even announced, whether Sony would even make a follow up to the PSP, simply because I couldn't see the market for it.

Now I question if Sony even knows why they made a successor to the PSP...

Hypothetically, could they survive on console game ports until, say, 2013, when whatever games they announce at E3/TGS come out?

Sometimes, I wonder if Sony exec's really think that...

They'll bleed into the Vita as long as they can, I'm sure. They aren't just going to stop making it in a year or so.
But it's not going to be pretty unless something drastic happens.

nickcv

Hey it worked once before, surely it could work again!

sure, but any financial advisor would tell you that you are an idiot for letting the fate manage your business...

sorry guys, i may be in denial, but i can't really think that's the way sony is managing the launch of one of their core products...

Dalthien

Vita should have been delayed a year or at least launch summer 2012

God no. They needed to do the exact opposite. Sony needed to have Vita released in unison with the 3DS - summer of 2011 at the absolute latest. There's simply no excuse for giving 3DS a year head-start - a year to work through all of their pricing and software issues, and a year to build up a 15-million unit lead and secure a bunch of 3rd-party support uncontested because their competitor wasn't even on the market yet.

You just don't give the successor to the most successful handheld of all time a head-start. Not if you have any intentions of actually competing with them. It really is analogous to MS and Nintendo giving the PS2 a year head-start, following the massive success of PS1. Sure, the PS2 was underpowered in comparison, but it could still handle all of the same types of content. Much like the 3DS is underpowered in comparison, but can still handle all the same types of content.

The PS2/XBox/Cube battle was over before it even began, and the Vita/3DS battle was also over before it began. I can't say it enough, but there was simply no excuse for launching late with Vita. If that means they had to have a backup plan in place to go with different hardware if Vita wasn't feasible in early 2011 - then they had to have a backup plan in place. Just sitting on the sidelines for a year was an atrocious decision if their product wasn't going to be wildly different from the 3DS.

Vic

But that's just it.
And it's way too late for Sony to shell huge amount of money specifically for the Japanese market since the market is too small to justify the risk. It's something they should have done right after the PS2, not now when they are irrelevant.

sure, but any financial advisor would tell you that you are an idiot for letting the fate manage your business...

sorry guys, i may be in denial, but i can't really think that's the way sony is managing the launch of one of their core products...

If they have a plan for the system, then they need to announce it. Yesterday.
What they're doing now is not healthy for a system.

And it's way too late for Sony to shell huge amount of money specifically for the Japanese market since the market is too small to justify the risk. It's something they should have done right after the PS2, not now when they are irrelevant.

I agree. I get why they went for Western developers. But I don't get why they basically completely abandoned Japanese developers.
It's just so short sighted.

Hypothetically, could they survive on console game ports until, say, 2013, when whatever games they announce at E3/TGS come out?

Vita is about to cross streams with the gamecube, its at serious risk of crossing streams with the dreamcast this summer, its just been given the bomba console kiss of death (phantasy star online) will it actually last well into 2013?

what's especially worrisome is that this Vita game heaven's big announcement was PSO2 coming out in 2013 which, in my mind, makes it seem like they really have nothing else on the table for this year. It would make no sense to mention PSO2 for 2013 if they had other games coming in Q3 or Q4 2012. I mean... surely there's something, right? They couldn't possibly just not have a big title for the holiday season.

frostbyte

Doubtful...

I questioned, long before the 3DS was even announced, whether Sony would even make a follow up to the PSP, simply because I couldn't see the market for it.

Ugh, Sony seems so incompetent in dealing with this. SE and Capcom, two of the largest forces in propping up the PSP, are either nowhere to be seen or uncertain about its future.

Why wouldn't they secure so deals/exclusives? Sega's the only one that's really announcing stuff for the Vita.

Vita is about to cross streams with the gamecube, its at serious risk of crossing streams with the dreamcast this summer, its just been given the bomba console kiss of death (phantasy star online) will it actually last well inti 2013?

I don't know. What would Panic Mode Sony do when Vita hits like 5k sales? What CAN they do? It's not like they can whip up games in less than year at SCEJ...

nickcv

If they have a plan for the system, then they need to announce it. Yesterday.
What they're doing now is not healthy for a system.

I agree. I get why they went for Western developers. But I don't get why they basically completely abandoned Japanese developers.
It's just so short sighted.

that's an understatement... handhelds primary support is from the east, you cannot launch one and don't care about Japanese Devs

Vic

Doubtful...

haha, I've been wondering the same thing for the past month or so. Just what was said in the meeting rooms that gave the Vita project the greenlight. What were the selling points?

nickcv

haha, I've been wondering the same thing for the past month or so. Just what was said in the meeting rooms that gave the Vita project the greenlight. What were the selling points?

the only thing i can think of is that they think that they can convert west to handhelds... because nothing from the Japanese launch points to the fact that they actually care about the east market...

frostbyte

that's an understatement... handhelds primary support is from the east, you cannot launch one and don't care about Japanese Devs

Technically, could the Vita be the inverse of what normal handhelds are like and survive on console ports on the West? I mean, GTA sold quite well on the PSP, and LCS/VCS were just a spinoff. If a GTAV/AC3/other major AAA IP ports were announced for Vita at E3, could the Vita survive on the sales in the West?

Sony execs: MH Vita is going to sell 8 million copies. It's not like we're going to lose exclusivity any time in the near future. It's not like that's ever happened before.

the only thing i can think of is that they think that they can convert west to handhelds... because nothing from the Japanese launch points to the fact that they actually care about the east market...

That's exactly what they are thinking.
They think that they can get western third parties on board with "easy of development" and "raw power".
AKA: They're trying to fight Apple head on, even if they don't realize it.

Technically, could the Vita be the inverse of what normal handhelds are like and survive on console ports on the West? I mean, GTA sold quite well on the PSP, and LCS/VCS were just a spinoff. If a GTAV/AC3/other major AAA IP ports were announced for Vita at E3, could the Vita survive on the sales in the West?

No. People will buy them, but not in large enough numbers.
They'll buy it for the systems they already have or for the new systems coming out. They have their phones already. They don't care about that kind of gaming on the go.

Probably not, no one is going to run out to buy Vita to play GTAV or AC3 on it, they'll just save 250 + 40 or 50 dollars and just get the 60 dollar version for their PS3/360 to play on their 50inch HD tv. The only way Vita could survive this way was if buying the PS3 version got you a digital download code that gave you the vita version for free or for only like 5-10 dollars. That would give it "take my save on the go" appeal and be reasonably priced.

test_account

XP-39C²

I would exactly say that they got lazy. The problem was that Sony took a big risk (they even said so themself) with making the PS3 that expencive. They took a gamble, hoping that people was very interested in it, but with the high price and the big competition from both Xbox 360 and the Wii, this gamble didnt work out.

This is actually not much different from what Nintendo did with the Wii. They made something very different, and that is a risk as well. No one could know how successful the Wii would be.

Making the hardware is afterall the other half of the equation. Software cant excist without hardware, so it is important to make hardware that people want as well. The PS Vita hardware is great, so i'm actually wondering a bit why more developers havnt embraced it more yet, at least from what have been announced so far. If not exclusive games, at least multiplatform stuff.

frostbyte

No. People will buy them, but not in large enough numbers.
They'll buy it for the systems they already have or for the new systems coming out. They have their phones already. They don't care about that kind of gaming on the go.

Yeah, that's a huge problem. The West doesn't prefer Vita, the East isn't supporting it. This is such a clusterfuck.

Probably not, no one is going to run out to buy Vita to play GTAV or AC3 on it, they'll just save 250 + 40 or 50 dollars and just get the 60 dollar version for their PS3/360 to play on their 50inch HD tv. The only way Vita could survive this way was if buying the PS3 version got you a digital download code that gave you the vita version for free or for only like 5-10 dollars. That would give it "take my save on the go" appeal and be reasonably priced.

Yeah, kinda forgot about the 250 entry point there. Not many people is going to pay 250 for on-the-go versions of their games.

Clearly their market research only consisted of reading GAF and not bothering to figure out what the other 99.99% of video game consumers wanted.

nickcv

That's exactly what they are thinking.
They think that they can get western third parties on board with "easy of development" and "raw power".
AKA: They're trying to fight Apple head on, even if they don't realize it.

well, somehow they should have epic on their side... i mean all they care is raw power...

the real question is why don't we have anything from epic announced yet? are they waiting for E3?

i mean, the psvita should be a wet dream for them...

well, somehow they should have epic on their side... i mean all they care is raw power...

the real question is why don't we have anything from epic announced yet? are they waiting for E3?

i mean, the psvita should be a wet dream for them...

Epic has the new iPad. They don't give a shit about the Vita.

Top Bottom