• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 9, 2012 (Feb 27 - Mar 04)

Salvadora

Nope. SE won't do that.

PSP got nothing DQ-related since that fortune street game in 2006, which also was the last DQ game for SONY consoles. It seems like Nintendo owns that series now. Considering how strong the PSP has been since, no other reason could explain the DQ exclusivity.

No other reasons?

Anyone else think Sony should kill off the PSP? I think they should announce a phase out to the end of year and cease production. Seems redundant now with the Vita out and it cannibalises Vita sales. They need to shift new games onto Vita before the thing becomes extinct.

No, It would be out of character and kill trust with consumers. And it is dumb idea to kill anything that is bringing in money just to force devs to make games for a more expensive platform. For now, the PSP is probably the only reason they can keep the vita on market.

Effect

I still believe that the Vita would have had a chance to outsell the 3DS if Nintendo had not lowered the price AND Sony had ensured that Monster Hunter is being kept on their portable. Obviously the 3DS was never finished, since it will always get Mario and Pokemon. But it would have been an interesting race. Now the 3DS is much cheaper and has Monster Hunter and the Vita has no games. Well done Sony...

I am still surprised and confused that Sony allowed Monster Hunter to go to the 3DS. Granted Capcom can do what it wants with it's franchise but considering how important it was I guess I expected Sony to do anything to get it to go to the PS Vita considering how it helped the PSP. Then again Nintendo has tons of money that Sony simply might not have given the trouble the company as a whole has.

Still if they knew for a while they couldn't count on it (should have always expected it wouldn't be theirs forever) they should have done something to try to fill the void in some way. This might not be a great example but why not try to adapt something like Everquest into a Phantasy Star Online (which might be the more likely possibility) type game and build from there. It's something Sony owns, a built in fan base at least in the west that they can try to expand to the east. There are already art assets they could use. I wonder how long something like that would take given the resources available to them? Or do SCEA/J not share or talk with SOE?

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
Anyone else think Sony should kill off the PSP?

The PSP sells for 18,000 yen - i'm going to guess that a hell of a lot of that is profit at this late stage of the game so it's not a great idea for them to kill off the PSP just yet.

I am still surprised and confused that Sony allowed Monster Hunter to go to the 3DS

sounds like from Iwata that Capcom approached Nintendo quite some time ago. Sony most likely had no idea it was happening. It's Capcom's IP to control, they don't owe Sony a living.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
One Piece Musou has beaten every Musou opening by Media Create (Sangoku, Shin Sangoku, Sengoku, Gundam, Hokuto). It came very close with some but it's over them for a few k.

Truth101

Banned
Disagreed - the big draw of the Vita is that it IS powerful. That effect is going to dwindle over time but there -is- a marked difference between it and the 3DS. Having lesser hardware at a cheaper price STILL doesn't negate the issue that they are in Nintendo's back yard and haven't revealed any heavy hitting software with a wider appeal.

The Vita will not always be the price that it is as well.

The 3DS is going great guns, but it's had it's price cut - and i don't see that price of 15,000 shifting anytime soon. It's sales are a damned sight better than Sonys but they'll also need to find more and more games to put out sometime soon too.

See, that is the problem. It being powerful isn't a draw at all, as we can see by it's current sales.

Of course the price will drop, but it is a matter by how much and how long it will take for that drop to happen. Also will that drop coincide with big software announcements, or will the Vita be getting any big software announcements.

Sony's problem with the Vita is the exact same problems they had with the PS3. Only difference is that developers were already investing in HD development, so the WIi couldn't eat it's lunch like the 3DS is doing for the Vita/PSP/DS.

Interesting.

http://www.nintendo.co.kr/PR/NewsRelease33.php

195 $
Colors: Cobalt Blue, Misty Pink, Cosmo Black
Launch lineup so far:
Super Mario 3D Land
Mario Kart 7
Mario & Sonic
Animal Crossing
Star Fox 64 3D
Zelda: OoT 3D
Nintendogs + Cats
Super Pokemon Rumble
Tekken 3D Prime Edition
Maple Story 3DS

EDIT: Wait, launching on April 28th with Animal Crossing? Wut
What is this all about!? A lot of these are clearly not launch titles or prices. On top of Animal Crossing release date?

Nope. SE won't do that.

PSP got nothing DQ-related since that fortune street game in 2006, which also was the last DQ game for SONY consoles. It seems like Nintendo owns that series now. Considering how strong the PSP has been since, no other reason could explain the DQ exclusivity.
Or the fact that when anounced Wii was selling at record pace. If they wanted to develop a console DQ Wii was the console with the highest userbase. If they wanted to develop a handheld DQ, DS was the handheld with the highest userbase. Not too mention the Western audience is important to them. If they had released DQ on the PSP it's western sales would be non-existant.

what actually evidence is there of this (the "and PSP" bit) ? Or are we basing that all on MH ?

I think people are basing it off of titles like Revelations, Kingdom Hearts, and Monster Hunter going to 3DS which in the past would've gone to PSP.

Effect said:
Still if they knew for a while they couldn't count on it (should have always expected it wouldn't be theirs forever) they should have done something to try to fill the void in some way. This might not be a great example but why not try to adapt something like Everquest into a Phantasy Star Online (which might be the more likely possibility) type game and build from there. It's something Sony owns, a built in fan base at least in the west that they can try to expand to the east. There are already art assets they could use. I wonder how long something like that would take given the resources available to them? Or do SCEA/J not share or talk with SOE?
Didn't they try that back on PS2? Checking Wikipedia, though, it doesn't seem like they even bothered releasing Champions of Norrath or its sequel in Japan.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
See, that is the problem. It being powerful isn't a draw at all, as we can see by it's current sales.

Indeed , I think to the wider audience they don't really care. But the alternative of a Sony branded machine in the same power bracket as the 3DS brings them even less. It's at least a differentiator of some sort, along with the funky back touch , 3G etc.

Sony's problem with the Vita is the exact same problems they had with the PS3. Only difference is that developers were already investing in HD development, so the WIi couldn't eat it's lunch like the 3DS is doing for the Vita/PSP/DS.

again - what evidence is there that the 3DS is eating the PSP's lunch right now? I'm going to go ahead and assume that that stems from MH - it's sold 1.4m, if we say ALL those players were PSP gamers, that leaves 3.6m PSP MH players who have not converted over. Now - when MH4 hits, if Sony haven't got a MH out then they're going to have a problem - but right now i'm not sure there's anything solid out there that suggests PSP players are flocking over to the 3DS. YET.

The way things are going software support will dry up for vita before it does for psp

I highly doubt sales alone is why the software library dried up on PSP. Besides Sony is not going to ignore the Vita like they did the PSP (or so they claim).

Of course the price will drop, but it is a matter by how much and how long it will take for that drop to happen. Also will that drop coincide with big software announcements, or will the Vita be getting any big software announcements.

Prices is an issue but like said before it isn't the main issue. It's power is the only thing that would save it from being ignored because if it had weaker hardware then people would seriously question 'why this handheld' instead of the 3DS and no amount of exclusive 1st party games would save sony's handheld after that.

Sony has a market they are catering to, they just need to release games so people are more receptive to purchasing the handheld.

Truth101

Banned
Indeed , I think to the wider audience they don't really care. But the alternative of a Sony branded machine in the same power bracket as the 3DS brings them even less. It's at least a differentiator of some sort, along with the funky back touch , 3G etc.

again - what evidence is there that the 3DS is eating the PSP's lunch right now? I'm going to go ahead and assume that that stems from MH - it's sold 1.4m, if we say ALL those players were PSP gamers, that leaves 3.6m PSP MH players who have not converted over. Now - when MH4 hits, if Sony haven't got a MH out then they're going to have a problem - but right now i'm not sure there's anything solid out there that suggests PSP players are flocking over to the 3DS.

I'm not talking about hardware sales, I'm talking about software development. It is plain that the 3DS is getting a lot of software titles that are in the same vein as the software that the PSP got.

I highly doubt sales alone is why the software library dried up on PSP. Besides Sony is not going to ignore the Vita like they did the PSP (or so they claim).

We are talking here about japan and psp software has not dried up yet and i honestly see support lasting longer for it than vita being a small but noticable possibility

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
I'm not talking about hardware sales, I'm talking about software development. It is plain that the 3DS is getting a lot of software titles that are in the same vein as the software that the PSP got.

That's because they're back to focusing on gamers and not the average Joe or Jane who might be swayed by Nicole Kidman playing Brain Age.

duckroll

Yes, by saying "right now" I meant to emphasize that their franchises are doing really well on the platform right now compared to PS2, not over the whole life of the system. There's no comparison in that obviously, the PS2 is far and away the most successful console platform for Japanese 3rd parties of all time. Maybe forever.

I think their sales have definitely picked up very favorably on the PS3 in the past 2-3 years, but at the same time it's still not very comparable because of how frequent their success on the PS2 was. That's something they can't really achieve easily on the PS3 either because of development drawbacks or whatever other reasons.

For example (Famitsu numbers):

Tales of Symphonia (2004-09-22) - 390,414
Tales of Rebirth (2004-12-16) - 596,493

Tales of Legendia (2005-08-25) - 342,779
Tales of the Abyss (2005-12-15) - 556,465

Tales of Destiny (2006-11-30) - 367,998

That's over 2 million units across 5 different games released in a 3 year period. If we compare that to the PS3, it doesn't really look that great:

Tales of Vesperia (2009-09-17) - 383,428

Tales of Graces f (2010-12-02) - 313,215

Tales of Xillia (2011-09-08) - 632,151

BUT. While writing this post, I decided to actually look at the total sales for each yearly set of Tales releases from 2004 onwards, which is when they started releasing PS2 games. The results are interesting I think:

Tales of Symphonia (2004-09-22/PS2) - 390,414
Tales of Rebirth (2004-12-16/PS2) - 596,493

Total - 986,907

Tales of the World : Narikiri Dungeon 3 (2005-01-06/GBA) - 113,414
Tales of Eternia (2005-03-03/PSP) - 193,458
Tales of Legendia (2005-08-25/PS2) - 342,779
Tales of the Abyss (2005-12-15/PS2) - 556,465

Total - 1,206,116

Tales of Phantasia: Full Voice Edition (2006-09-07/PSP) - 111,034
Tales of the Tempest (2006-10-26/DS) - 205,541
Tales of Destiny (2006-11-30/PS2) - 367,998
Tales of The World: Radiant Mythology (2006-12-21/PSP) - 214,128

Total - 898,701

Tales of Destiny 2 (2007-02-15/PSP) - 114,757
Tales of Fandom Vol.2 (2007-06-28/PS2) - 86,337
Tales of Innocence (2007-12-06/DS) - 246,420

Total - 447,514

2004-2007 Four Year Total - 3,539,238

Tales of Destiny Director's Cut (2008-01-31/PS2) - 142,301
Tales of Rebirth (2008-03-19/PSP) - 83,016
Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of the New World (2008-06-26/Wii) - 212,408
Tales of Vesperia (2008-08-07/360) - 204,305
Tales of Hearts (2008-12-18/DS) - 261,751

Total - 903,781

Tales of the World: Radiant Mythology 2 (2009-01-29/PSP) - 317,730
Tales of Versus (2009-08-06/PSP) - 238,200
Tales of Vesperia (2009-09-17/PS3) - 383,428
Tales of Graces (2009-12-10/Wii) - 212,769

Total - 1,152,127

Tales of Phantasia Narikiri Dungeon X (2010-08-05/PSP) - 180,650
Tales of Graces f (2010-12-02/PS3) - 313,215

Total - 493,865

Tales of the World: Radiant Mythology 3 (2011-02-10/PSP) - 278,359
Tales of the Abyss (2011-06-30/3DS) - 106,540
Tales of Xillia (2011-09-08/PS3) - 632,151

Total - 1,017,050

2008-2011 Four Year Total - 3,566,823

It seems to me that while it looked like Tales got "less popular" post-PS2, Bandai Namco simply managed to diversify the sales instead. It took a while for them to find that the best platforms for the games are the PSP and the PS3.

There's no telling what will happen in the next 4 years, but it's interesting to me that if you look at those numbers, in 2004 to 2007, they released 13 titles and sold 3,539,238 units, while in 2008 to 2011, they released 14 titles and sold 3,566,823 units. That's much, much closer than I would have thought.

EXGN

Dat One Piece. Must be one of the strongest PS3 releases of all time, outside of like... GT5, MGS4 and FFXIII/XIII-2?

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I think their sales have definitely picked up very favorably on the PS3 in the past 2-3 years, but at the same time it's still not very comparable because of how frequent their success on the PS2 was. That's something they can't really achieve easily on the PS3 either because of development drawbacks or whatever other reasons.

For example (Famitsu numbers):

That's over 2 million units across 5 different games released in a 3 year period. If we compare that to the PS3, it doesn't really look that great:

BUT. While writing this post, I decided to actually look at the total sales for each yearly set of Tales releases from 2004 onwards, which is when they started releasing PS2 games. The results are interesting I think:

It seems to me that while it looked like Tales got "less popular" post-PS2, Bandai Namco simply managed to diversify the sales instead. It took a while for them to find that the best platforms for the games are the PSP and the PS3.

There's no telling what will happen in the next 4 years, but it's interesting to me that if you look at those numbers, in 2004 to 2007, they released 13 titles and sold 3,539,238 units, while in 2008 to 2011, they released 14 titles and sold 3,566,823 units. That's much, much closer than I would have thought.

I know its a 2003 release in Japan but what happens if you add ToS GCN to that list?

That's because they're back to focusing on gamers and not the average Joe or Jane who might be swayed by Nicole Kidman playing Brain Age.

That's extremely reductive, considering that the DS had much, much, much more than that.

Yeah so new iPad sounds amazing as fuck. Vita in even deeper shit?

Are they even remotely comparable markets? I know plenty like to think so, but as far as handheld gaming devices go, the market has been expanding to let in such devices, not shrinking. Besides, the Vita was already in it deep enough without Apple's help.

duckroll

I know its a 2003 release in Japan but what happens if you add ToS GCN to that list?

Tales of the World: Summoner's Lineage (2003-03-07/GBA) - 52,102
Tales of Phantasia (2003-08-01/GBA) - 134,608
Tales of Symphonia (2003-08-29/GC) - 311,473

Total - 498,183

We can go back further if you want. Might as well cover the entire series.

guek

Banned
It's guaranteed to scale to 1080p, but whether or not it can render that high is another matter. And we do not know.

It wont be a matter of whether it can or can't but rather what developers will choose. Rumors point to at least 32mb EDRAM though, which would allow either 1080p in a single pass or 720p w/MSAA

I meant Wii U tablet (thought that was obvious).

I think it will be okay as long as Nintendo doesn't amp up the price too high. The TV/tablet combo will suffice at $300 to $400.

It wont be a matter of whether it can or can't but rather what developers will choose. Rumors point to at least 32mb EDRAM though, which would allow either 1080p in a single pass or 720p w/MSAA

I was trying to keep it simple seeing as we're not in the tech speculation thread.

mclem

I don't know why people think moneyhats are even significant in a case like this. Monster Hunter is much too huge a franchise for Sony to significantly sway Capcom on the matter. If they do or don't release it for a given platform, it's because they saw some advantage to doing so independent of direct platform-holder payments.

When I said MH-ify, I meant to try to get One Piece on Vita as a popular franchise to drive sales.

Look the WiiU is going to see big changes. Only thing that will look the same as the reveal will be its basic idea of having a screen for a controller.

duckroll

Rest of the Tales sales, for anyone interested:

Tales of Phantasia (1995-12-15/SFC) - 228,738 [Probably sold a bit more, but that's when it dropped off the weekly charts]

Tales of Destiny (1997-12-23/PS) - 829,618

Tales of Phantasia (1998-12-23/PS) - 550,393

Tales of the World: Narikiri Dungeon (2000-11-10/GB) - 154,602
Tales of Eternia (2000-11-30/PS1) - 669,248

Tales of Fandom Vol.1 (2002-01-31/PS1) - 88,948
Tales of the World: Narikiri Dungeon 2 (2002-10-25/GBA) - 163,043
Tales of Destiny 2 (2002-11-28/PS2) - 762,861

Blitzzz

Outside of MH and FF, what were the biggest PSP games? What were the biggest games before MH caught fire?

As long as the 3DS can handle the type of games that PSP had, I don't see any incentive for 3rd party devs to develop for Vita. Japanese gamers have shown that increased video quality/power doesn't mean anything to them (DQ on DS, MHTri on Wii) so why would any dev give up an established userbase and a less expensive platform to develop for?

So where does that leave Sony? They'll have to rely on 1st party and I don't think any of their franchises are system sellers besides GT.

It's really disheartening cause I do like devs making use of the best tech available

duckroll

Outside of MH and FF, what were the biggest PSP games? What were the biggest games before MH caught fire?

Biggest non-MH and non-FF games on PSP:

Metal Gear Solid Peace Walker - 791,577
Kingdom Hearts Birth by Sleep - 733,248
Phantasy Star Portable - 636,973
God Eater - 617,828
Phantasy Star Portable 2 - 590,527

These are the only non-MH and non-FF games which sold over 500k.

The biggest games before MH caught fire (I'm going to define this as when MHP2 came out, which when the series exploded):

Minna no Golf Portable - 399,257
Metal Gear Solid Portable Ops - 358,277
Brain Trainer Portable - 297,816
Dynasty Warriors - 286,274
SD Gundam G-Generation Portable - 278,702
Ridge Racers - 273,521
Minna no Golf Portable (The Best) - 270,907

These are the only ones which sold more than 250k before MHP2 was released. Minna no Golf Portable and Ridge Racers were PSP launch titles. Dynasty Warriors came out the week after launch.

Kazerei

Banned

List of best selling PSP games. Most were released in the past few years. I think MHP2G was mainly the beginning of the PSP revival.

Code:
2010-12-01	Monster Hunter Portable 3rd			4,502,446
2008-03-27	Monster Hunter Portable 2nd G			2,452,111
2007-02-22	Monster Hunter Portable 2nd			1,720,397
2008-10-30	Monster Hunter Portable 2nd G (BEST)		1,110,614
2008-12-18	Dissidia: Final Fantasy				  902,398
2007-09-13	Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII			  809,825
2010-04-29	Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker			  790,053
2010-01-09	Kingdom Hearts: Birth by Sleep			  733,248
2011-10-27	Final Fantasy Type-0				  696,428
2005-12-01	Monster Hunter Portable				  668,964
2008-07-31	Phantasy Star Portable				  633,954
2010-02-04	God Eater					  617,828
2009-12-24	Monster Hunter Portable 2nd G (BEST Reprint)	  592,747
2009-12-03	Phantasy Star Portable 2			  590,527
2010-08-26	Monster Hunter Diary: Poka Poka Airu Village	  548,968
2011-03-03	Dissidia: 012 (Duodecim) Final Fantasy		  461,086
2010-10-28	GOD EATER BURST					  436,158
2008-11-20	Mobile Suit Gundam: Gundam vs. Gundam		  415,891
2010-12-23	When you fall in love with idle AKB1/48 ...	  410,673
2004-12-12	Hot Shots Golf: Open Tee			  399,161
2011-04-14	Dai-2-Ji Super Robot Wars Z: Hakai-hen		  398,017
2009-12-03	Mobile Suit Gundam: Gundam vs. Gundam NEXT PLUS	  394,953
2009-02-26	Shin Sangoku Musou: Multi Raid			  384,336
2011-02-24	Phantasy Star Portable 2: Infinity		  373,309
2008-05-29	Jikkyou Powerful Pro Yakyuu Portable 3		  362,087
2011-10-06	AKB1/48: Idol to Guam de Koishitara...		  362,059
2006-12-21	Metal Gear Solid: Portable Ops			  358,277
2007-09-20	Metal Gear Solid: Portable Ops Plus		  355,916
2010-07-29	Hatsune Miku: Project Diva 2n			  341,663
2011-02-24	SD Gundam G Generation: World			  336,699
2011-06-16	Little Battler Xperience			  324,204
2009-01-29	Tales of the World: Radiant Mythology 2		  317,730
2007-05-10	Final Fantasy Tactics: The War of the Lions	  301,796

Blitzzz

Biggest non-MH and non-FF games on PSP:

Metal Gear Solid Peace Walker - 791,577
Kingdom Hearts Birth by Sleep - 733,248
Phantasy Star Portable - 636,973
God Eater - 617,828
Phantasy Star Portable 2 - 590,527

These are the only non-MH and non-FF games which sold over 500k.

The biggest games before MH caught fire (I'm going to define this as when MHP2 came out, which when the series exploded):

Minna no Golf Portable - 399,257
Metal Gear Solid Portable Ops - 358,277
Brain Trainer Portable - 297,816
Dynasty Warriors - 286,274
SD Gundam G-Generation Portable - 278,702
Ridge Racers - 273,521
Minna no Golf Portable (The Best) - 270,907

These are the only ones which sold more than 250k before MHP2 was released. Minna no Golf Portable and Ridge Racers were PSP launch titles. Dynasty Warriors came out the week after launch.

ouch...so the biggest 1st party is already out for Vita...

All of those other games can be done on 3DS... hopefully not all the devs go for the safe money route

zroid

Banned
2010-12-01 Monster Hunter Portable 3rd 4,502,446
2008-03-27 Monster Hunter Portable 2nd G 2,452,111
2007-02-22 Monster Hunter Portable 2nd 1,720,397
2008-10-30 Monster Hunter Portable 2nd G (BEST) 1,110,614
2008-12-18 Dissidia: Final Fantasy 902,398

This is absolutely amazing to me.

Top Bottom