• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 9, 2017 (Feb 27 - Mar 05)

BKK

In the context of the Japanese market this comparison makes zero sense. Saturn was by far Sega's best selling console there, and they actually killed it prematurely to make way for Dreamcast.

Sorry, haven't been online much recently, so a bit slow to reply.

Exactly, there was no gap in Japan, it went seamlessly from Saturn to Dreamcast, whilst in Europe they sacked most of their staff, stopped releasing games and went into radio silence for over a year. By the time they had started releasing games again (for the Dreamcast) they had lost third part publishers (worst of all EA), and major retail purchasers (why should we stock your crappy product which has failed x times already?).

Sega's problem was never with Japan, their problem was designing a console for Japan when their main market was the West. They then proceeded to gut the Western wings when they couldn't sell a console designed for Japanese consumers and developers to western gamers. Biggest example was probably Sony buying Psygnosis .... Sega could have locked that up years before, and probably would have if they hadn't let Japanese management re-assert control.

L~A

Level-5 just announced that the Snack World anime series would debut on April 13th on TV Tokyo, at 7.25PM. That's right after Pokémon, and it's actually taking's Naruto's timeslot.

https://www.famitsu.com/news/201703/15129007.html

Nothing about the 3DS game yet, but as mentioned a couple of weeks ago, that's something we'll hear about on April 15th with the may issue of CoroCoro.

noobie

Banned
Ōkami;231934938 said:
  1. [PS4] Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon: Wildlands - 147
  2. [PS4] Kingdom Hearts HD I.5 + II.5 Remix - 84
  3. [PS4] Horizon: Zero Dawn - 79
  4. [SWI] 1-2-Switch - 42
  5. [SWI] The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - 40
  6. [PS4] Horizon: Zero Dawn (Limited Edition) - 35
  7. [PS4] NieR: Automata - 31
  8. [3DS] Mario Party: Star Rush - 30
  9. [3DS] Dragon Quest Monsters: Joker 3 - Professional - 21
  10. [WIU] The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - 15
  11. [PS4] Grand Theft Auto V [New Price Edition] - 14
  12. [SWI] Super Bomberman R - 12
  13. [SWI] Dragon Quest Heroes I & II for Nintendo Switch - 11
  14. [3DS] Pokemon Sun - 11
  15. [PS4] The Witch and the Hundred Knights 2 - 10
  16. [3DS] Super Mario Maker for Nintendo 3DS - 10
  17. [3DS] Animal Crossing: New Leaf - Welcome amiibo - 9
  18. [3DS] Pokemon Moon - 9
  19. [PS4] Resident Evil 6 - 8
  20. [PS4] Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six: Siege - 8

1. From a year Ago Tom Clancy ( i think its for PS4 not for PSV) got 91 points and opened to 80K.. Now it got 147 points so i expect it can open to 100K+ for FW.

Although i do understand with passage of time games become more front loaded and probably higher percentage of buyers pre-order. But will be an interesting study to see how a, same game in same week across consecutive years perform.

Ōkami;198282769 said:
    1. [PSV] Summon Night 6: Ushinawareta Kyoukaitachi - 99
    2. [PSV] Tom Clancy's The Division - 91
    3. [PSV] Summon Night 6: Ushinawareta Kyoukaitachi (15th Anniversary Pack) - 61
    4. [PS4] Gundam Breaker 3 - 54
    5. [WIU] The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess HD (Limited Edition) - 46
    6. [PS4] Summon Night 6: Ushinawareta Kyoukaitachi - 43
    7. [PSV] Gundam Breaker 3 - 40
    8. [3DS] Mario & Sonic at Rio Olympics - 21
    9. [WIU] The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess HD - 15
    10. [3DS] Monster Strike - 14
    11. [PSV] Kamen Rider: Battride War Sousei - 13
    12. [3DS] Monster Hunter Generations - 13
    13. [WIU] Splatoon - 12
    14. [PSV] Minecraft: PlayStation Vita Edition - 12
    15. [PSV] Kiniro no Corda 4 - 11
    16. [3DS] Medarot Girls Mission: Kabuto Ver. - 11
    17. [3DS] Shin Megami Tensei IV: Final - 10
    18. [3DS] Megaman Classic Collection - 10
    19. [3DS] Doraemon: Shin Nobita no Nihon Tanjou - 10
    20. [3DS] Medarot Girls Mission: Kuwagata Ver. - 10

Vinnk

I can see lack of restock and then low numbers resulting to some "OMG Switch is doomed lmao" posts.

Yep. I wasn't able to get to all the stores this week (hence no report) but the 2 I did go to (AEON and the store formerly known as Wanpaku) had not received restocks as of Sunday and could not tell me when they would be getting them again.

But yeah, with that and report that some stores are doing a lottery to win the privilege of being allowed to buy one.. I anticipate numbers to be low. Like real low.

Those with agendas will feast.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Yep. I wasn't able to get to all the stores this week (hence no report) but the 2 I did go to (AEON and the store formerly known as Wanpaku) had not received restocks as of Sunday and could not tell me when they would be getting them again.

But yeah, with that and report that some stores are doing a lottery to win the privilege of being allowed to buy one.. I anticipate numbers to be low. Like real low.

Those with agendas will feast.

It could get quite wild, yeah.

Let's see if the blog will leak something on that front, at least we'll come into the next thread prepared :p

Mr Swine

Banned
Month 2 are the important numbers.

Nah, remember Chris that this is Neogaf. When Switch sales tank like Vita did back the. On the second week we all know that Switch means change
DEATH
so it will flop as bad as Vita did lol

Joking aside I really hope that Switch sales are as good as 3DS sales back then or better

Mario007

Whats more annoying than people who have no clue about the context of the sales laughing at the sales is people spending half of the week complaining about imaginery people who might not have a clue about the context of the sales laughing at the sales.

Mario007

Nah, remember Chris that this is Neogaf. When Switch sales tank like Vita did back the. On the second week we all know that Switch means change
DEATH
so it will flop as bad as Vita did lol

Joking aside I really hope that Switch sales are as good as 3DS sales back then or better
If I remember correctly Vita's second week was actually decent when compared to ps4 or wii u though.

Whats more annoying than people who have no clue about the context of the sales laughing at the sales is people spending half of the week complaining about imaginery people who might not have a clue about the context of the sales laughing at the sales.

They need to prepare themselves.....lol

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius

From what I gathered situation has been better with restock at big cities but it's not like they received massive amounts. If Nintendo still sticks with 2m for FY there will be low shipments for entire March.

From what I gathered situation has been better with restock at big cities but it's not like they received massive amounts. If Nintendo still sticks with 2m for FY there will be low shipments for entire March.

didn't they say that in case of good demand they could reach 3 millions?

I imagine Switch hardware sales are going to be pretty low worldwide for the rest of the month. Hopefully they'll have a good flow of stock in April.

hiska-kun

If I remember correctly Vita's second week was actually decent when compared to ps4 or wii u though.

You remember wrong, Vita was, in fact, the worst launch system in the recent years (excluding xbox).

Second Week Sales (Media Create)

Wii: 85.439 / 435.797
3DS: 209.623 / 584.387
PSV: 72.479 / 397.338
Wii U: 126.916 / 435.058
PS4: 65.685 / 374.839

The problem that had Vita, is that they shipped 500k systems first week (65% sell-through), despite being fully available it fell like a rock on its second week. And the worst is that second week was from December 19th to 25th, in other words, the best selling week of the year.
For Wii, Wii U and PS4, there were stock problems during their second week, even at the end, the demand was met in the PS4 and Wii U's cases.

http://andriasang.com/comzfo/vita_shipment/
http://andriasang.com/comzfw/media_create_vita_sales/

Guymelef

Yep.

Mario007

You remember wrong, Vita was, in fact, the worst launch system in the recent years (excluding xbox).

Second Week Sales (Media Create)

Wii: 85.439 / 435.797
3DS: 209.623 / 584.387
PSV: 72.479 / 397.338
Wii U: 126.916 / 435.058
PS4: 65.685 / 374.839

The problem that had Vita, is that they shipped 500k systems first week (65% sell-through), despite being fully available it fell like a rock on its second week. And the worst is that second week was from December 19th to 25th, in other words, the best selling week of the year.
For Wii, Wii U and PS4, there were stock problems during their second week, even at the end, the demand was met in the PS4 and Wii U's cases.

http://andriasang.com/comzfo/vita_shipment/
http://andriasang.com/comzfw/media_create_vita_sales/
Oh right, I just remembered it had a better second week than ps4 but forgot the context. Thanks

dracula_x

I'm not sure, I think Kimishima said that in January investor meeting. I'll see if I can find the quote.

https://twitter.com/mochi_wsj/status/791997876037521408

PeSKydG.png

→ https://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/pdf/2016/161028.pdf

Q12

2 Nintendo Switch は 今期中に)200万台出荷予定ということだが、これは当初の予定どおりの
台数か? もしも変更があったのなら、それはどういう理由からか? そして、なぜ200万台と
いう出荷予想にしたのか?

君島:
Nintendo Switch の今期中200万台というハードウェア出荷予想台数は、期初時点から通期業
績予想に含めており、修正後の通期業績予想においても期初の想定から変更していません。Wii U
の場合は11月発売で、発売年度内 11月から翌年3月まで)に350万台弱の出荷を行いま
したが、Nintendo Switch は、期末に当たる来年3月に発売予定で、単月のみの出荷になるという
点を考慮しますと、200万台という数量はそれなりに意味があると思います。来年1月にプレ
ゼンテーションを行い、皆様に体験していただいた結果、Nintendo Switch に対する需要が大きく
なりましたら、それに対応する生産体制の準備はできています。

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
*sees GAF*

*sees the MC thread popping up, last post by: hiska-kun*

:O

The blog hasn't given any hints yet, and at this time I doubt there will be any. So, we can only wait.

:(

At least, we won't have to wait too long.

BriBri

Nintendo Switch back in stock at My Nintendo Store for two hours before sell-out. Delivery expected 22-24 March.

L~A

Quick note for NA folks: numbers will be 1h later for you, due to DST. EU has still until the end of the month at the usual time (2PM CET / 1PM GMT).

Quick note for NA folks: numbers will be 1h later for you, due to DST. EU has still until the end of the month at the usual time (2PM CET / 1PM GMT).

Oh no! Numbers are supposed to be up by the time I get to work, what else am I supposed to do while eating my breakfast at my desk first thing in the morning?

Shengar

While this is true...those CoD games still were completely new titles and not just +/G versions of the game they had before and Activision releases the games for the new systems asap.

With MH everyone knows that a big jump and the 5th generation is happening soon - only the most hardcore fans will jump on another 3DS release at this point.

I dont know Capcom plans when it comes to MH right now - but XX seems like a poor money grab tbh - especially after many players already were pissed that they didnt offer some kind of update/dlc option from MH4 to MH4G. Guess they are milking the market as long as possible.
MHXX itself isn't a poor money grab in my opinion. It serves as a generational bridge because I can't see Capcom risked the series future on a newborn system where the sales will be hampered by low userbase. The Switch needs at least a year before the ongoing demand can be met, and there's enough unit to supply a Monster Hunter launch. That's at the barest minimum, will be constrained by userbase, and it wouldn't be able perform better than it should. Higher sales number will be especially important for MH5 because it's a big generational leap (albeit Capcom have take preemptive measure beforehand).

However, 3DS MHXX is indeed a poor money grab. While the base game in the end performed much better than it initial sales, I don't think an expansion of it will be enough to justify for a repurchase. This is due to nature of MHX itself where most of it content is lack of depth and filled with padding just to hit the high standard set by MH4G. To make thing worse, MHXX seems to keep that trend.

The cause of the low sale doesn't end here too. Just like you said, people know new generation is abound and they are more than happy to skip MHXX for it. The existence of Switch not just confirmed there will be big generational leap worth the waiting, but also have made another expectation that there will be the inevitable Switch version of MHXX. There are people who probably only want to buy Switch version of MHXX, and if it wouldn't exist, these people will happily joined the waiting line.

I think the right message to take from MHXX if the predictions are correct is that the Japanese market is slowly getting sick of the expansions. It sounds like from the comments above MHXX didn't really add all that much. On the other hand, a spinoff, like MHX can do well by itself if you try something pretty different (since it actually brought in some MH3P players that MH4G/U didn't). At the same time, selling like 1 million copies from an expansion is pretty crazy and might still be making a decent amount of money.
Maybe not expansion, but rather an inevitable new generation or a promise of better version due to Switch existence.

Should we be expecting around 30k for switch considering superdata reporting 360k sold in Japan?

It'll be much more than that, wasnt there about 20k of last weeks shipment still left? Most of that will have gone at the beginning of the week and seems saturdays shipment was fairly chunky so I'd guess about 60 to 70k but we'll know soon enough

gtj1092

It'll be much more than that, wasnt there about 20k of last weeks shipment still left? Most of that will have gone at the beginning of the week and seems saturdays shipment was fairly chunky so I'd guess about 60 to 70k but we'll know soon enough

Pretty sure it's reported to be completely sold out first week.

L~A

Media Create:

Switch 61,998
PS4 28,902
New3DS LL 18,360
Vita 8,398
PS4 Pro 6,398
2DS 4,094
New3DS 1,227
PS3 639
Wii U 430
Xbox One 117