• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 9, 2017 (Feb 27 - Mar 05)

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
I wouldn't expect many things from western publishers and definetely not before and if Switch takes off so E3 isn't the right place for third party announcements.

Nintendo will likely use Directs for their own games.

Ōkami

1. [PS4] Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon: Wildlands - 147
  2. [PS4] Kingdom Hearts HD I.5 + II.5 Remix - 84
  3. [PS4] Horizon: Zero Dawn - 79
  4. [SWI] 1-2-Switch - 42
  5. [SWI] The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - 40
  6. [PS4] Horizon: Zero Dawn (Limited Edition) - 35
  7. [PS4] NieR: Automata - 31
  8. [3DS] Mario Party: Star Rush - 30
  9. [3DS] Dragon Quest Monsters: Joker 3 - Professional - 21
  10. [WIU] The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - 15
  11. [PS4] Grand Theft Auto V [New Price Edition] - 14
  12. [SWI] Super Bomberman R - 12
  13. [SWI] Dragon Quest Heroes I & II for Nintendo Switch - 11
  14. [3DS] Pokemon Sun - 11
  15. [PS4] The Witch and the Hundred Knights 2 - 10
  16. [3DS] Super Mario Maker for Nintendo 3DS - 10
  17. [3DS] Animal Crossing: New Leaf - Welcome amiibo - 9
  18. [3DS] Pokemon Moon - 9
  19. [PS4] Resident Evil 6 - 8
  20. [PS4] Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six: Siege - 8
Preorders
[3DS] Monster Hunter XX - 1145
[SWI] Mario Kart 8: Deluxe - 70
[PS4] Gran Turismo Sport - 70
[PSV] Accel World vs. Sword Art Online: Millennium Twilight - 43
[3DS] Dragon Ball Heroes Ultimate Mission X - 40
[PS4] Accel World vs. Sword Art Online: Millennium Twilight - 40
[PS4] Senran Kagura: Peach Beach Splash - 33
[PS4] Blue Reflection - 28
[PS4] Musou Stars - 24
[PSV] Nights of Azure 2 - 22
[PS4] Nights of Azure 2 - 19
[3DS] Future Card Buddyfight Mezase! Buddy Champion! - 14
[PSV] Blue Reflection - 14
[PS4] Tekken 7 - 11
[3DS] Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia - 10

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Going to be a rough week for Switch on the hardware and software front it looks like.

Well, it'll depend on how much stock the console got nationwide. If the stock is tight (which is what it looks like, given earlier reports), sales will be entirely dependant on how much Nintendo obtained to ship.

Well, it'll depend on how much stock the console got nationwide. If the stock is tight (which is what it looks like, given earlier reports), sales will be entirely dependant on how much Nintendo obtained to ship.

It is going to be a rough week because stock obviously is tight.

3DS is at the end of it's lifespan it's launching in the same month as said systems successor while not being on said system with a decent chunk of the most active userbase moving on. Capcom were complete idiots. Even a cheap port would have stemmed some of the loss with the prospect of longterm sales both in Japan and worldwide being a launch title.

MH consistently ships 4.1 million per entry. Capcom is now about to break that trend.

Yeah that decision is baffling to me. Sure, they could sell it once again with MHXXNSW this fall, but surely they realize people will get tired of being milked. A multiplatform release at launch would be just the right amount of milking and a great way to start the transition of the audience worldwide.

Or they could say:
- Handheld gaming is dying.
- Core games don't sell on Nintendo systems.
- Need to expand to the West by making an open-world PS4 game.

Eolz

Why are people still acting surprised at western games potentially selling >100k? I don't understand.

If you're talking about me, it's not about western games in general, it's about Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Wildlands, a game that I didn't see particularly appealing for this region considering its presentation and focus. It's not something like Horizon or GTA.

Yeah that decision is baffling to me. Sure, they could sell it once again with MHXXNSW this fall, but surely they realize people will get tired of being milked. A multiplatform release at launch would be just the right amount of milking and a great way to start the transition of the audience worldwide.

Or they could say:
- Handheld gaming is dying.
- Core games don't sell on Nintendo systems.
- Need to expand to the West by making an open-world PS4 game.

It may not have worked well with their fiscal year planning, but if they could have pushed MHXX to early summer like June/July and released it multiplatform on 3DS and Switch it would have made a lot more sense. It would have been a good bridge game to transition between platforms.

gtj1092

I'd be very worried. Capcom is exceeding good at fucking up a sure thing. Even the fraking wii u port managed to ship a few hundred thousand. A switch port would have at least managed that lifetime even if capcom were never planning on supporting the platform again beyond that entry it makes little sense.

That will litterally be capcom's takeaway from this and then they'll proceed to bomb the franchise.

Apparently shipping a couple hundred thousand copies of MH is potentially not worth it for Capcom. And plus that would split the user base.

horuhe

Rakuten Books Sales Ranking Week 10, 2017 (Mar 06 - Mar 12)

01./00. [PS4] Kingdom Hearts HD I.5 + II.5 ReMIX <RPG> (Square Enix)
02./00. [PS4] Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon: Wildlands <ADV> (Ubisoft)
03./02. [NSW] The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild <ADV> (Nintendo)
04./09. [PS4] Horizon: Zero Dawn <ADV> (Sony Interactive)
05./04. [PS4] NieR: Automata <RPG> (Square Enix)
06./05. [NSW] 1-2-Switch <ETC> (Nintendo)
07./11. [3DS] Dragon Quest Monsters: Joker 3 - Professional <RPG> (Square Enix)
08./21. [PS4] Grand Theft Auto V [New Price Edition] <ACT> (Take-Two Interactive)
09./07. [NSW] Super Bomberman R <ACT> (Konami)
10./13. [NSW] Dragon Quest Heroes I & II for Nintendo Switch <RPG> (Square Enix)

Rakuten Books Pre-Orders Ranking Week 10, 2017 (Mar 06 - Mar 12)

01./01. [3DS] Monster Hunter XX <ACT> (Capcom)
02./05. [PS4] Senran Kagura: Peach Beach Splash <ACT> (Marvelous)
03./02. [NSW] Mario Kart 8 Deluxe <RCE> (Nintendo)
04./06. [3DS] Pro Baseball: Famista Climax <SPT> (Bandai Namco)
05./07. [3DS] Dragon Ball Heroes: Ultimate Mission X <ADV> (Bandai Namco)

Rakuten Books Ranking Week 9, 2017 (Feb 27 - Mar 05)

***WARNING***

* Note: Games on the Rakuten Books Rankings are ONLY based on sales at Rakuten Books and does NOT count games sold by other retailers at Rakuten.
** Note 2: Games on the Pre-Orders Ranking are counted as net sales, so it might possibly affect the games listed on the Sales Ranking, since those sales are NOT added afterwards.

hiska-kun

Tsutaya's Ranking Week 10 2017

01./00. [PS4] Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon: Wildlands <ADV> (Ubisoft)
02./00. [PS4] Kingdom Hearts HD I.5 + II.5 ReMIX <RPG> (Square Enix)

03./02. [NSW] The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild <ADV> (Nintendo)
04./14. [PS4] Horizon: Zero Dawn [Regular Edition] <ADV> (Sony Interactive Entertainment)
05./04. [PS4] NieR: Automata <RPG> (Square Enix)
06./03. [NSW] 1-2-Switch <ETC> (Nintendo)
07./01. [PS4] Horizon: Zero Dawn [First Limited Edition] <ADV> (Sony Interactive Entertainment)
08./06. [WIU] The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild <ADV> (Nintendo)
09./05. [NSW] Super Bomberman R <ACT> (Konami)
10./08. [3DS] Dragon Quest Monsters: Joker 3 - Professional <RPG> (Square Enix)
11./10. [PS4] Nioh <ACT> (Koei Tecmo)
12./09. [NSW] Dragon Quest Heroes I & II for Nintendo Switch <RPG> (Square Enix)
13./11. [PSV] Super Robot Wars V <SLG> (Bandai Namco Games)
14./22. [3DS] Pokemon Moon <RPG> (Pokemon Co.)
15./12. [PS4] Super Robot Wars V <SLG> (Bandai Namco Games)
16./18. [3DS] Pokemon Sun <RPG> (Pokemon Co.)
17./20. [PS4] Grand Theft Auto V [New Price Edition] <ACT> (Take-Two Interactive Japan)
18./13. [NSW] Puyo Puyo Tetris <PZL> (Sega)
19./23. [3DS] Super Mario Maker for Nintendo 3DS <ACT> (Nintendo)
20./24. [3DS] Yo-kai Watch 3: Sukiyaki <RPG> (Level 5)

hiska-kun

If you're talking about me, it's not about western games in general, it's about Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Wildlands, a game that I didn't see particularly appealing for this region considering its presentation and focus. It's not something like Horizon or GTA.

This is the same week last year.

Media Create Sales: Week 10, 2016 (Mar 07 - Mar 13)

01./00. [PS4] Tom Clancy's The Division <RPG> (Ubisoft) {2016.03.10} (¥8.400) - 80.703 / NEW <85,80%>

It was expected.

samar11

So if the sales of the switch is really low next week, its because of supply and nothing to do with demand due to software ?

L~A

I used to think MHXX on Switch was all but guaranteed, but looking at current shipments for the Switch, it probably is a good thing Capcom decided to go 3DS-only. I mean, if Nintendo can't even keep up with demand with "just" Zelda and 1-2-Switch, a Monster Hunter game would've been bad news. Better to just wait until there's a sizeable userbase and more importantly steady shipments before trying to drop the big one.

Thank you. Do you have any such list for PS4 releases too? Just want to check if there is any draught of software for PS4 coming?

Unfortunately, no, but I believe GameFAQS have some release planning page for each platform.

It may not have worked well with their fiscal year planning, but if they could have pushed MHXX to early summer like June/July and released it multiplatform on 3DS and Switch it would have made a lot more sense. It would have been a good bridge game to transition between platforms.
I believe MH Stories bombing made Capcom panic and push XX 3DS to launch before March 31st. I don't think XX 3DS will do all that bad, though it won't hit its fiscal year target. In the end, I think it'll come under MH4G's total but not by much.

I also still believe XX for Switch is coming later in the year (Q4 probably), mainly because it'll do better in the West than just the 3DS version. That time, the Switch should have enough of a userbase for Capcom to hope for 500+k sales in Japan, and maybe another 1+ million WW. Not counting a WW release of the 3DS version as well.

MHXX for Switch will be a thing that fills a gap next fiscal year. MH5, in whatever form on whatever system, will the main bread winner for Capcom.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Apparently shipping a couple hundred thousand copies of MH is potentially not worth it for Capcom. And plus that would split the user base.
That's obviously not a problem they can't keep the series on the 3DS forever and it's be a lot more than a couple of hundred even the Wii u port managed a lot more than that and the 3DS port of 3 way more.

A switch port during the holidays make sense if that's Capcom's plan but I can't say with certainty of anything Capcom does even if it seems like the most likely logical answer.

Oregano

That's obviously not a problem they can't keep the series on the 3DS forever and it's be a lot more than a couple of hundred even the Wii u port managed a lot more than that and the 3DS port of 3 way more.

It also wouldn't split the user base if they made 3DS and Switch crossplay. Unless MH3U split the user base or Portable 3rd HD?

Principate

Saint Titanfall
It also wouldn't split the user base if they made 3DS and Switch crossplay. Unless MH3U split the user base or Portable 3rd HD?
I don't think it did I mean they were fundamentally different experiences being a home and handheld. I think they ditch it because it was the Wii u and the game didn't quite ask enough.

Oregano

I don't think it did I mean they were fundamentally different experiences being a home and handheld. I think they ditch it because it was the Wii u and the game didn't quite ask enough.

Yeah, it was rhetorical because gtj1092 was clearly trying to use the same argument people have made about releases across both Nintendo/Sony platforms but it's not the same.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
YSO predictions

01. [3DS] Monster Hunter Double Cross < 1000k (average 900k)
02. [PSV] Accel World Vs. Sword Art Online: Millennium Twilight < 55k (average 45k)
02. [PS4] Senran Kagura: Peach Beach Splash < 55k (average 45k)
03. [PS4] Accel World Vs. Sword Art Online: Millennium Twilight < 45k (average 40k)

I believe MH Stories bombing made Capcom panic and push XX 3DS to launch before March 31st. I don't think XX 3DS will do all that bad, though it won't hit its fiscal year target. In the end, I think it'll come under MH4G's total but not by much.

I also still believe XX for Switch is coming later in the year (Q4 probably), mainly because it'll do better in the West than just the 3DS version. That time, the Switch should have enough of a userbase for Capcom to hope for 500+k sales in Japan, and maybe another 1+ million WW. Not counting a WW release of the 3DS version as well.

MHXX for Switch will be a thing that fills a gap next fiscal year. MH5, in whatever form on whatever system, will the main bread winner for Capcom.

XX was always planned for release this march, well before it was announced there was an unannounced title in capacoms release schedule they expected to ship 2 million copies of this financial year

YSO predictions

01. [3DS] Monster Hunter Double Cross < 1000k (average 900k)
02. [PSV] Accel World Vs. Sword Art Online: Millennium Twilight < 55k (average 45k)
02. [PS4] Senran Kagura: Peach Beach Splash < 55k (average 45k)
03. [PS4] Accel World Vs. Sword Art Online: Millennium Twilight < 45k (average 40k)

Cheers. SAO continuing to fall then.

Maybe people are finally realizing how trash the anime was.

Isn't the movie doing gangbusters?

I'm sure this one is just down because people disliked Lost Song and aren't fussed about Accel World, but still, I'm thinking yearly releases are beginning to get to it.

I know they're dropping Vita for the next instalment, so we'll have to see whether that re-invigorates interest.

Oregano

Isn't the movie doing gangbusters?

I'm sure this one is just down because people disliked Lost Song and aren't fussed about Accel World, but still, I'm thinking yearly releases are beginning to get to it.

I know they're dropping Vita for the next instalment, so we'll have to see whether that re-invigorates interest

It will probably have the opposite effect.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
People will generally stop buying branded games if they don't feel they're actually getting a good experience.

It's important to actually deliver when making licensed titles if you want an ongoing benefit from using the license.

Memory Defrag on the other hand seems to be benefiting tremendously.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
The top earning mobile publishers of 2016 (global revenue) has come out: https://www.appannie.com/insights/app-annie-news/app-annie-52-top-app-publishers-2016/

Here are the Japanese ones:

6. Mixi (Monster Strike)
7. LINE
8. Bandai Namco
11. Gung-Ho (Puzzle & Dragons)
12. Square Enix
14. Sony (Fate Grand Order)
16. COLOPL
19. CyberAgent (They own CyGames, Sumzap, and GCREST among others)
20. DeNA
22. Konami
26. Sega Sammy
30. Nexon (Yes, they're technically a Japanese company)
39. GREE
42. gumi
43. Marvelous
45. KLab
51. Ateam

Eolz

This is the same week last year.

It was expected.

The Division was 30k above a cheap remake and had a setting with an appeal more universal, and Duckroll's comment was about "people being surprised about western games selling possibly >100k". I'm just surprised that the difference in Comgnet was so big, for a game that I didn't really see being that popular everywhere.

Anyway, on YSO topic, not surprised at all by the SK prediction sadly. They really have done some disappointing choices since SK2 bombing (sadly), but hopefully the fact they have a studio dedicated to those games now will lead to some better focus, and better managed budgets.

Oregano

The Division was 30k above a cheap remake and had a setting with an appeal more universal, and Nirolak's comment was about "people being surprised about western games selling possibly >100k". I'm just surprised that the difference in Comgnet was so big, for a game that I didn't really see being that popular everywhere.

Anyway, on YSO topic, not surprised at all by the SK prediction sadly. They really have done some disappointing choices since SK2 bombing (sadly), but hopefully the fact they have a studio dedicated to those games now will lead to some better focus, and better managed budgets.

I don't think those numbers are bad for a spin off that plays entirely differently.

Eolz

duckroll's comment

My bad, edited it out. Mistake after reading your 3 comments as well :p

I don't think those numbers are bad for a spin off that plays entirely differently.

I don't know. It's trying to jump on Splatoon's success (obviously not to replicate it), with a production likely as long as Estival Versus, and they're actually saying they're making a new canon with it, aka more than a simple spinoff (like Bon Appetit).
I'm a bit worried about what they expect tbh, considering how SK2's numbers seemed fine, but Marvelous probably expected the double for it.

Top Bottom