• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 9, 2017 (Feb 27 - Mar 05)

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
Can't wait for pages of people saying stuff like "awful drop for Switch".

image.php

Sorry couldn't resist

Ōkami

Sellthrough for Zelda was 60% so some 400.000 units shipped for both consoles.

For Wii U version it can't be close to 100.000 so Switch shipment must've been pretty close to that of the console shipment, as far as that goes sellthrough isn't that great.

It already outsold Skyward Sword though, so that's cool I guess.

Zedark

Ōkami;231763507 said:
Sellthrough for Zelda was 60% so some 400.000 units shipped for both consoles.

For Wii U version it can't be close to 100.000 so Switch shipment must've been pretty close to that of the console shipment, as far as that goes sellthrough isn't that great.
Well the WiiU version obeys the same percentage range, so its 45k is 60%-80% of the total shipment. Also, why are we using 60 and not 80 (or anything in between)? Any specific reason for that?

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
The problem with Zelda shipment would be big if Wii U version had sell-through close to 60%. If it's only Switch it won't be difficult to clear it.

L~A

Would be surprising if the Wii U version was overshipped. Doubt Media Create will share sell-though for that, but would be nice.

Ōkami

From Media Create sell through of the Switch version we'll be able to at least get an estimate of the Wii U version using Dengeki.

saichi

Second Week Sales (Media Create)

Wii: 85.439 / 435.797
3DS: 209.623 / 584.387
PSV: 72.479 / 397.338
Wii U: 126.916 / 435.058
PS4: 65.685 / 374.839

With the 95% sell-through, over Wii, Wii U & PS4; and this week shipment being a lottery, second week drop will be worse than Wii.

I guess 220K is out of the question for Switch in 2nd week. what a bomba
/s

L~A

Figured I might as well post it now, now that things have calmed down a bit. List of confirmed retail games for the Nintendo Switch:

March 30th

[Switch] Romance of the Three Kingdoms 13 with Power-up Kit

April 20th

[Switch] Minna de Waiwai! Spelunker

April 28th

[Switch] Mario Kart 8 Deluxe

May 26th

[Switch] Ultra Street Fighter II: The Final Challengers

Spring 2017

[Switch] ARMS
[Switch eShop] Sonic Mania

June 29th

[Switch] LEGO City Undercover

Summer 2017

[Switch] Splatoon 2

Fall 2017

[Switch] Super Mario Odyssey
[Switch] The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim (not sure about JP release)
[Switch] EA Sports Fifa (not sure about JP release)
[Switch] NBA 2k18 (not sure about JP release)
[Switch] Fire Emblem Warriors
[Switch] Dragon Quest X
[Wii U / Switch] Dragon Quest X Ver. 4.0

[Switch] Project Sonic 2017
[Switch] Xenoblade Chronicles 2
[Switch] Dragon Ball Xenoverse 2
[Switch] Minecraft: Switch Edition
[Switch] Dragon Quest XI

[Switch] Fire Emblem

???

[Switch] Project Octopath Traveler
[Switch] No More Heroes
[Switch] Shin Megami Tensei HD Project

I purposefully left out vague stuff like Tales of or Blazblue, just keeping 100% confirmed games/projects (announced as such, like Fire Emblem which is a specific project, not just "we're brining FE to Switch").

Oh, and that reminds me... why the hell hasn't Atlus revealed their new SMT game for the 3DS yet?

Mory Dunz

So does dragon quest 11 not count yet?

Anyway, release schedule is pretty sparse as of now...especially if ARMs is a nonstarter. Makes it harder on Mario Kart to sustain things

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
So does dragon quest 11 now count yet?

Anyway, release schedule is pretty sparse as of now...especially if ARMs is a nonstarter. Makes it harder on Mario Kart to sustain things

Nintendo has to tread water until Splatoon 2. But yeah right now the release list is pretty barren,

jonno394

Figured I might as well post it now, now that things have calmed down a bit. List of confirmed retail games for the Nintendo Switch:

I purposefully left out vague stuff like Tales of or Blazblue, just keeping 100% confirmed games/projects (announced as such, like Fire Emblem which is a specific project, not just "we're brining FE to Switch").

Oh, and that reminds me... why the hell hasn't Atlus revealed their new SMT game for the 3DS yet?

When you put it all like that, man, that's not much retail offerings to get people buying. I'm hyped for all the indies and eshop stuff, but Joe consumer likely isn't. Mario Kart 8 and Splatoon 2 are likely big enough for the first few months to get some in on the machine though.

Mory Dunz

Nintendo has to tread water until Splatoon 2. But yeah right now the release list is pretty barren,

When you put it all like that, man, that's not much retail offerings to get people buying. I'm hyped for all the indies and eshop stuff, but Joe consumer likely isn't. Mario Kart 8 and Splatoon 2 are likely big enough for the first few months to get some in on the machine though.

I've been talking about ARMs potentially not doing to expectations (hope it does), but what about Mario Kart.

Personally, I think it will be huge SW sales wise, but if it being a remaster makes it not hold Switch HW sales as expected, how would that play out. It will sell over a million regardless imo, but pushing hardware is important too.

If MK8D doesn't push enough HW, you're basically flat until Splatoon.
It's just a little mind boggling to me.

L~A

So does dragon quest 11 not count yet?

Ah sorry, somehow had it listed only as 3DS title... then again, with how Squeenix refuses to acknowledge this version even exists, makes no difference I guess :p

I mean, it's not even listed on their website: http://www.jp.square-enix.com/game/switch/ (same for official DQXI website). Which is quite funny since they revealed it / confirmed it several times before the official announcement a while ago.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Definitely more release dates and announcements are needed for the short-mid term. Hopefully we don't have to wait too long for the latter to intensify; still the last period (not including the Switch Presentation for obvious reasons) was pretty quiet in terms of announcements across all platforms, with just 3DS getting stuff up to last week when Omega Labyrinth Z / FPW were announced + Switch launch titles spawning out of nowhere (like the legendary and GOTG-worthy Vroom in the Nighty Sky, so magical). Or, at least, this is the impression I have on the console side, correct me if I'm wrong.

Anyways, things could get a bit steadier once MK8 DX comes, with Arms potentially hitting May alongside USFII, Dragon Ball Xenoverse 2 maybe coming for that period as well...again, we need more release dates as well.

noshten

I've been talking about ARMs potentially not doing to expectations (hope it does), but what about Mario Kart.

Personally, I think it will be huge SW sales wise, but if it being a remaster makes it not hold Switch HW sales as expected, how would that play out. It will sell over a million regardless imo, but pushing hardware is important too.

If MK8D doesn't push enough HW, you're basically flat until Splatoon.
It's just a little mind boggling to me.

What are your expectations for Arms and Mario Kart?

Also I'm still thinking Minecraft will be released around or before the Splatoon 2 launch with local multiplayer elements.

Mory Dunz

What are your expectations for Arms and Mario Kart?

In my post, I said MK8D will be over a million. Can't get more specific than that at the moment. Depends on the Switch.

I have no idea about ARMs in Japan. After Splatoon, who knows. I think it'll do decently in the west though. With the potential to be a semi-hit.

Switch just needs a good stop gap game or two to fill things
-What happened to that rumor about Mario Rabbids needing to make launch?
-Mario Party sold well for the Wii U. Getting one out for Switch would be an ideal multiplayer game.
- Or a port of DK:TF (unless retro is making a new one), PM: CS, or some other wii U game.

Ōkami

Looking into launch software numbers of other platforms, tie ratios of software and number of titles for launch.

GBA: 700.000 units sold, 1.14 games per system, 15 launch titles.

WII: 635.000 units sold, 1.71 games per system, 16 launch titles.

PS2: 535.000 units sold, 0.85 games per system, 7 launch titles.

NDS: 415.000 units sold, 0.89 games per system, 12 launch titles.

WIU: 400.000 units sold, 1.30 games per system, 11 launch titles

SWI: 380.000 units sold, 1.15 games per system, 8 launch titles.

3DS: 355.000 units sold, 0.95 games per system, 8 launch titles.

PS1: 355.000 units sold, 5 launch titles.

PSP: 310.000 units sold, 1.87 games per system, 12 launch titles.

PSV: 260.000 units sold, 0.80 games per system, 20 launch titles.

PS4: 260.000 units sold, 0.81 games per system, 13 launch titles.

N64: 210.000 units sold, 1.31 games per system, 3 launch titles.

XBX: 185.000 units sold, 1.49 games per system, 12 launch titles.

NGC: 170.000 units sold, 1.27 games per system, 3 launch titles.

DC: 145.000 units sold, 1.43 games per system, 4 launch titles.

WS: 115.000 units sold, 1.12 games per system, 3 launch titles.

PS3: 95.000 units sold, 1.07 games per system, 5 launch titles.

XB1: 52.000 units sold, 2.21 games per system, 6 launch titles.

Sales are rounded up estimations.

Wii U started better than 3DS, Vita has the most launch titles and Xbox One the best tie ratio, should show you how irrelevant week one results can be.

Numbers looked rather meh to me at first, but when looking at all of them they're not bad at all.

L~A

Do you include bundled games? If yes, might favour some platforms... though I'm not sure any of them came bundled with a game (Wii didn't get Wii Sports in Japan, iirc).

Lol, wonder what % of early posts next week will be "Omg, Switch Bomba!" Or "Nintendo is doomed again" or anything along those lines.

Ōkami

Do you include bundled games? If yes, might favour some platforms... though I'm not sure any of them came bundled with a game (Wii didn't get Wii Sports in Japan, iirc).
Bundles only make a difference for Xbox One and Wii U.

Knack isn't included though.

test_account

XP-39C²
Which numbers are people expecting from the Switch during the next weeks? Looking at the retail release list above here, it doesnt seem that there is much to carry the momentum.

noshten

I have no idea about ARMs in Japan. After Splatoon, who knows. I think it'll do decently in the west though. With the potential to be a semi-hit.

I'm still thinking Arms might be a bit better since it's a different type of local multiplayer which also seems very skill based. It could potentially be a game where you have 1v1v1 or 2v2 matches since the stages are spherical and having additional characters is going to change how it's played because of the mechanics.

Generally I don't want to predict a franchise like Arms before I get additional details about what is included and what type of ongoing support it will get. Put in some Luffy DLC it might totally change my prediction for the game. But for the time being I'm thinking it's actually being received very well in Japan. There is no other way to explain why the trailers for the game are pretty much the most watched thing outside of Mario, Splatoon and Zelda on Nintendo Japan.

Mory Dunz

I'm still thinking Arms might be a bit better since it's a different type of local multiplayer which also seems very skill based. It could potentially be a game where you have 1v1v1 or 2v2 matches since the stages are spherical and having additional characters is going to change how it's played because of the mechanics.

Generally I don't want to predict a franchise like Arms before I get additional details about what is included and what type of ongoing support it will get. Put in some Luffy DLC it might totally change my prediction for the game. But for the time being I'm thinking it's actually being received very well in Japan. There is no other way to explain why the trailers for the game are pretty much the most watched thing outside of Mario, Splatoon and Zelda on Nintendo Japan.

Yeah, the views are more impressive than I remember. MK8D also has more than it, but still. They've also been showing it in a few commercials iirc so we'll see.

I'm not sure about if they'll include more fighters like a 2v2 mode. The impression I got was a 1v1 type of fighting game. It would be neat to see how they well they would implement it.

A KoF, MvC style subbing in and out with teams would be cool. But it's unlikely.

noshten

Yeah, the views are more impressive than I remember. MK8D also has more than it, but still. They've also been showing it in a few commercials iirc so we'll see.

I'm not sure about if they'll include more fighters like a 2v2 mode. The impression I got was a 1v1 type of fighting game. It would be neat to see how they well they would implement it.

A KoF, MvC style subbing in and out with teams would be cool. But it's unlikely.

That's why I think 1v1v1 might be a good idea, since if it's a free for all in a spherical stage it might favor different types of tactics - especially with components within stages you can use for movement and defense.
In anycase after Splatoon and how that was handled and watching the gameplay footage of Arms I think it will have a lot of depth and it all depends on the amount of launch content and the update plans Nintendo announces post launch.
I think Arms would have done better as a launch title that compliments Zelda but 1,2 Switch is a sort of demo for the JoyCons so I understand it being the 1st Party multiplayer launch game to a degree.

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
@Nirolak and others - This is probably more Western focused at the moment, but what do you think of Square Enix becoming a publisher for indie devs? Also, similar question for the No Man Sky devs.

Datschge

But they don't want a dead period between Wii-U and Switch like what happened between Saturn and Dreamcast, so we'll see.
In the context of the Japanese market this comparison makes zero sense. Saturn was by far Sega's best selling console there, and they actually killed it prematurely to make way for Dreamcast.

BriBri

Nintendo say 'please wait a while' for the Switch eShop charts. 3DS is Monster Hunter XX pre-load and Wii U is The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild but everything else unremarkable and (probably) selling very little.

Switch just needs a good stop gap game or two to fill things
-What happened to that rumor about Mario Rabbids needing to make launch?
-Mario Party sold well for the Wii U. Getting one out for Switch would be an ideal multiplayer game.
- Or a port of DK:TF (unless retro is making a new one), PM: CS, or some other wii U game.
Fire Emblem Warriors is dropping in Q3/Fall. And I genuinely believe Pokken is getting a Switch release before September.

Vinnk

I boggles my mind that Minecraft has no release date yet. Absolutely the perfect portable title that could sell well and be ported quickly.

Mory Dunz

Fire Emblem Warriors is dropping in Q3/Fall. And I genuinely believe Pokken is getting a Switch release before September.

It better. As I've said, it makes too much sense. Now they just need to announce it...

As far as FE W, I'm not worried about Switch's Fall. I believe a game or two will be announced at E3 to release this year, either 1st party or 3rd. (maybe Pkmn)
My worry has always been now until August, especially if just one of the big games fails to meet expectations. Then all of a sudden things seem a bit bare.

hiska-kun

First Day Sell-through {2017.03.09}

[PS4] Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon: Wildlands <ADV> (Ubisoft) (¥8.400) - 80% selling better as expected like Nioh, NieR, Horizon... in the past weeks

[PS4] Kingdom Hearts HD I.5 + II.5 ReMIX <RPG> (Square Enix) (¥6.800) - 50%

[PS4] Ultimate Marvel Vs. Capcom 3 <FTG> (Capcom) (¥2.990) - 20%

[PS4] Let It Die <ACT> (GungHo Online Entertainment) (¥6.900) - 20%

Edit: late xD

mao2

&#332;kami;231776241 said:
Looking into launch software numbers of other platforms, tie ratios of software and number of titles for launch.
Media Create has Switch at 1.07 games per system (8 launch titles, total 351K copies), compared to WiiU at 1.22 games per system (11 launch titles, total 376K copies).
http://www.m-create.com/ranking/
&#12302;&#12476;&#12523;&#12480;&#12398;&#20253;&#35500;&#12502;&#12524;&#12473;&#12458;&#12502;&#12470;&#12527;&#12452;&#12523;&#12489;&#12303;&#65288;Switch&#29256;18.6&#19975;&#26412;&#65289;&#12394;&#12393;8&#12479;&#12452;&#12488;&#12523;&#21512;&#35336;&#12391;35.1&#19975;&#26412;&#12434;&#36009;&#22770;&#12289;&#35013;&#30528;&#29575;&#12399;1.07&#26412;&#12290;Wii U&#12398;1.22&#26412;&#65288;11&#12479;&#12452;&#12488;&#12523;&#21512;&#35336;37.6&#19975;&#26412;&#65289;&#12395;&#21450;&#12400;&#12394;&#12356;&#12290;

casiopao

[PS4] Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon: Wildlands <ADV> (Ubisoft) (¥8.400) - 80% selling better as expected like Nioh, NieR, Horizon... in the past weeks

[PS4] Kingdom Hearts HD I.5 + II.5 ReMIX <RPG> (Square Enix) (¥6.800) - 50%

[PS4] Ultimate Marvel Vs. Capcom 3 <FTG> (Capcom) (¥2.990) - 20%

[PS4] Let It Die <ACT> (GungHo Online Entertainment) (¥6.900) - 20%

LET IT DIE! LET IT DIE! Ohh Baby Let It Die.^_^

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven

It's interesting that the bigger stuff continues to disappoint, but now suddenly these other titles (let's say mid-tier) seem to be doing better than expected. Are PS4 gamers just wanting something new?

horuhe

Rakuten Books Sales Ranking (2017.03.09)

01./00. [PS4] Kingdom Hearts HD I.5 + II.5 ReMIX <RPG> (Square Enix)
02./00. [PS4] Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon: Wildlands <ADV> (Ubisoft)
03./02. [PS4] Horizon: Zero Dawn <ADV> (Sony Interactive)
04./01. [NSW] The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild <ADV> (Nintendo)
05./03. [PS4] NieR: Automata <RPG> (Square Enix)
06./04. [NSW] 1-2-Switch <ETC> (Nintendo)
07./06. [PS4] Grand Theft Auto V [New Price Edition] <ACT> (Take-Two Interactive)
08./07. [NSW] Super Bomberman R <ACT> (Konami)
09./05. [3DS] Dragon Quest Monsters: Joker 3 - Professional <RPG> (Square Enix)
10./09. [PS4] Nioh <ACT> (Koei Tecmo)

Rakuten Books Pre-Orders Ranking (2017.03.09)

01./01. [3DS] Monster Hunter XX <ACT> (Capcom)
02./04. [PS4] Senran Kagura: Peach Beach Splash <ACT> (Marvelous)
03./05. [PS4] Senran Kagura: Peach Beach Splash (Nyuu Nyuu Deluxe Pack) <ACT> (Marvelous)
04./06. [PSV] Kono Yo no Hate de Koi o Utau Sh&#333;jo YU-NO (Limited Edition) <ADV> (5pb.)
05./07. [NSW] Mario Kart 8 Deluxe <RCE> (Nintendo)

***WARNING***

* Note: Games on the Rakuten Books Rankings are ONLY based on sales at Rakuten Books and does NOT count games sold by other retailers at Rakuten.
** Note 2: Games on the Pre-Orders Ranking are counted as net sales, so it might possibly affect the games listed on the Sales Ranking, since those sales are NOT added afterwards.

A couple of questions.

1. Will I am Setsuna and Disgaea 5 hit bottom prices soon?

2. How would one go about getting my hands on one of those?

Top Bottom