• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Molecule Announces New IP, Dreams

How do you even market and sell this? It's a game, that isn't really a game, where you can make interactive, inter connected dreams? I mean, the average person isn't going to get it. I get it, but it's not something I'm interested in. It's just another wonky creation tool with the the claim that you, "can do anything " but "anything" will end up being pretty limited or boring really fast.

I dig the art house, experimental thing, but it's not something I, or most people would invest money towards.

Give them chance to explain it a least, they said it was going to be hard and that they will try and explain it piece by piece.

This is going to be the new 'but what do you do in this game?' when NMS is finally released.

DOG3NZAKA

Banned
Give them chance to explain it a least, they said it was going to be hard and that they will try and explain it piece by piece.

This is going to be the new 'but what do you do in this game?' when NMS is finally released.

Well the botched their first impression. People should know right off the bat what your game is about and what you do. Ambiguity is alright but not to the point where you can't answer basic questions to yourself or others.

I get it. I'm just saying it's I'm not really interested in that sort of thing. But best of luck to them

How do you even market and sell this? It's a game, that isn't really a game, where you can make interactive, inter connected dreams? I mean, the average person isn't going to get it. I get it, but it's not something I'm interested in. It's just another wonky creation tool with the the claim that you, "can do anything " but "anything" will end up being pretty limited or boring really fast.

I dig the art house, experimental thing, but it's not something I, or most people would invest money towards. It might be fun to mess around with for an afternoon, but it looks like it would get obnoxiously frustrating and tedious later on. This is similar to those walking simulators that are heavily driven by narrative but with less going on, unless you have the time and patience to create something

Sony said this is just a teaser to give us think about what it does and more details about how this game works will be shown in Paris game show. Also btw LBP has 8+ million levels created so far and still increasing which proves that there are people who want to spend time to create and share things just like Minecraft.

I'm obviously interested, but my problem is, LBP's creation tools were never good enough to create new genres. All you had were really floaty, hokey attempts at racing, FPS, mini-games, arcade titles...

It was more about being impressed with understanding the creation tools and how people used those tools, not the games itself.

I hope this 3D Dreams game tells a solid tale through Mm's own single player content. I'm not expecting a "make every genre" sort of game and dont really care about one, but hopefully the tools are interesting enough and strong enough for what users want to come up with

I'm obviously interested, but my problem is, LBP's creation tools were never good enough to create new genres. All you had were really floaty, hokey attempts at racing, FPS, mini-games, arcade titles...

It was more about being impressed with understanding the creation tools and how people used those tools, not the games itself.

I hope this 3D Dreams game tells a solid tale through Mm's own single player content. I'm not expecting a "make every genre" sort of game and dont really care about one, but hopefully the tools are interesting enough and strong enough for what users want to come up with

Dreams is a game about to showcase the creativity in different perspectives like Music, Painting, Movies and Games too. Wait for Parish game show and you will see the potential from this game. Look at the bubbles from the trailer which are all created in Dreams btw. Motto of this game is Play.Create.Share so dont expect single player content with focus on story mode.

It may not be everyones game but this has potential to attract more people into gaming.

ReBurn

Gold Member

I dig the art house, experimental thing, but it's not something I, or most people would invest money towards. It might be fun to mess around with for an afternoon, but it looks like it would get obnoxiously frustrating and tedious later on. This is similar to those walking simulators that are heavily driven by narrative but with less going on, unless you have the time and patience to create something

Clearly Sony should have consulted you before deciding to make this investment. You could have saved them so much money.

Shin-Ra

Very risky game for Sony to invest in.

Doesn't have the same family/child appeal as LBP.
You can make cutesy stuff and there's bound to be loads preloaded into the game from Mm.

DreamsSlide.gif

Jacobi

Banned
Well the botched their first impression. People should know right off the bat what your game is about and what you do. Ambiguity is alright but not to the point where you can't answer basic questions to yourself or others.

I get it. I'm just saying it's I'm not really interested in that sort of thing. But best of luck to them
And now LET'S GO ON TO SHOOT SOME GUNS

Very risky game for Sony to invest in.

Doesn't have the same family/child appeal as LBP.

Its a good thing unlike other publishers who are trying to milk more. Sony tries to balance sequels and new IP's more compared to others and always trying to push the boundaries of the gaming about what it can do with new things even if its risky but they try as it provides diversity and games for everyone even the user base for the game they are experimenting is minor. This is why PlayStation is a big success as they tried to cater everyone and invest more in gaming which can be proved from their studios count and risky projects in order to evolve gaming.

You can make cutesy stuff and there's bound to be loads preloaded into the game from Mm.

DreamsSlide.gif

Indeed. It'll be a much harder sell.

LBP looked easy to make things on and had a very simple, child friendly mascot. As such it was easy to market. The box sold itself.

I have no idea how to market this.

DOG3NZAKA

Banned
Clearly Sony should have consulted you before deciding to make this investment. You could have saved them so much money.

And now LET'S GO ON TO SHOOT SOME GUNS

What the hell?

Jeez Louise...God forbid anyone has reasonable doubt or any dissent. It's not like I'm saying "this shit fuggin sucks". I'm just saying it could potentially be difficult for them to sell to people, mainly because it isn't a conventional game, or even a game at all.

The official reveal hasn't happened yet. February event and E315 were both teasers.

I agree it's vague, but I don't think any damage has been done. Game is certainly not due this year, plenty of time to generate awareness and buzz.

Dreams is a game about to showcase the creativity in different perspectives like Music, Painting, Movies and Games too. Wait for Parish game show and you will see the potential from this game. Look at the bubbles from the trailer which are all created in Dreams btw. Motto of this game is Play.Create.Share so dont expect single player content with focus on story mode.

It may not be everyones game but this has potential to attract more people into gaming.

I was pretty sure Mm said they were adding their own levels/creations for launch?

What the hell?

Jeez Louise...God forbid anyone has reasonable doubt or any dissent. It's not like I'm saying "this shit fuggin sucks". I'm just saying it could potentially be difficult for them to sell to people, mainly because it isn't a conventional game, or even a game at all.

This is what makes Dreams very interesting as its something new we never seen before which can have great impact if its something everyone want and like once they show what it is about in Parish game show. This E3 trailer is just a teaser which does not explain anything about the game just like teasers from every game.

What the hell?

Well your comments are a bit premature mate. You said "you get it", but how is that really possible? MM hasn't reveal what the game can do yet? They teased one aspect of the game, and basically gave us a vague premise of some of the overall goals and spirit of the development team in creating the title. So, we are assuming, this will be harder to market, this won't be for everyone, etc...when we haven't seen the full scope of the project. The SP campaign may absolutely be something very mainstream and appealing.

I also don't think LBP IP is dead, just that MM will probably take it into 3D. I personally want to see the Tearaway franchise grow. So this might be more risky, but it's not like they don't have established franchises to grow. All LBP needs is a 60fps beautiful new engine, and the ability to go full 3D. Think it would easily sell another 2-3 million units.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital

LOL. I guess you're an average person. (no offence intended)

You sell it by showing the singleplayer just like LBP. Then you show games, levels, music and animations the public have made. Easy.

I was pretty sure Mm said they were adding their own levels/creations for launch?

They may but its not going to be story mode going around some characters like LBP instead its going to be levels that will show what can be done in Dreams to understand. People with creativity and time are going to make something they want and share and those who dont have time or creativity to do something can just play those community levels(Dreams) and enjoy.

I also don't think LBP IP is dead, just that MM will probably take it into 3D. I personally want to see the Tearaway franchise grow.

If the dreams game engine is as modular as it was for LBP's, I could see the dreams engine be adapted for a 3D LBP, where it's adapted to have a far more restricted game creation module so that creations can only feel like they're part of the same LBP universe, instead of the richer pallete available to dreams. (able to do feathery, clay-ish, etc)

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
What the hell?

mmm ...

It's just another wonky creation tool with the the claim that you, "can do anything " but "anything" will end up being pretty limited or boring really fast.

DOG3NZAKA

Banned
Well your comments are a bit premature mate. You said "you get it", but how is that really possible? MM hasn't reveal what the game can do yet? They teased one aspect of the game, and basically gave us a vague premise of some of the overall goals and spirit of the development team in creating the title. So, we are assuming, this will be harder to market, this won't be for everyone, etc...when we haven't seen the full scope of the project. The SP campaign may absolutely be something very mainstream and appealing.

I also don't think LBP IP is dead, just that MM will probably take it into 3D. I personally want to see the Tearaway franchise grow. So this might be more risky, but it's not like they don't have established franchises to grow. All LBP needs is a 60fps beautiful new engine, and the ability to go full 3D. Think it would easily sell another 2-3 million units.

Like I said, good luck to them. I never said it looked bad. It's a neat concept, but will it sell and have longevity?

LOL. I guess you're an average person. (no offence intended)

You sell it by showing the singleplayer just like LBP. Then you show games, levels, music and animations the public have made. Easy.

I guess I'm an unevolved knuckle dragger because I don't see or appreciate MM's artistic vision. :p

I know you're not saying that, but that is the vibe I'm getting from others.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
I guess I'm an unevolved knuckle dragger because I don't see or appreciate MM's artistic vision. :p

I know you're not saying that, but that is the vibe I'm getting from others.

You say you know what it is but then go on to demonstrate that you don't. This is LBP.5. A full 3D creation tool to make music (mentioned in the first reveal), animations (for cutscenes/films. Mentioned in both reveals), game creation (mentioned in the first reveal and after the second reveal). I'm looking forward to seeing the music creation tool because the music they created with Dreams was far more advanced than LBP.

The concept is shrouded in mystery because that's what MM want. They recently told everyone to think of one thing: 'Everything in Dreams is live'. That to me is the ONLY thing that I'm wondering about. What I take from that is everything will be cloud based and you won't download anything to play the levels/games/music/animations people make, you will immediately access them ... and so quickly that they'll fuse into each other as ONE endless stream. Perhaps they'll have a random choice or a queuing system similar to LBP so that you can decide how that flow works or what it offers.

My one concern is that they simplify creating levels too much and reduce the possibilities while increasing the visual choices. I'd prefer both and hope to God it has complex logic for those who wish to dig deeper beneath the surface. For instance, we saw him animating a character but the method he used does not explain the guys fingers on the keyboard or the twitching animation of the crow to his right.

Clearly there are 'special effects' to use in your creations. The piano breaking up at the end tells us that. As far as what you can create with it, we've seen largely soft edged images but there are indications of more angular constructs and even a hint at the end (inside a bubble) that you'll be able to make Tearaway games/levels. I'm going to guess it has two modes: Beginners and advanced.

I feel they need a mascot though; some character to tie the levels together whilst not setting the focus of the franchise in stone. I'm just wondering if the tools will actually release before the game and that they'll be free. Then a few months later release the full retail game.

Everything in these bubbles what made in Dreams. Look at that spaceman character (could that be our protagonist?), the platformer or the 3D house you appear to be able walk through:

EDIT: After watching the end of the trailer and looking at the bubbles I'm now more or less certain that the little imp is the character you play. If you watch closely you can see a sky diving game with smoke rings and the imp is what you are controlling as you go through each one. Can someone gif that last section in which is shows the bubbles, please? I can't understand why someone hasn't done it already because that's what Dreams is all about ...

image.php

maxresdefault.jpg

http://www.gamersyde.com/hqstream_dreams_e3_trailer-34892_en.html

Shin-Ra

I think it looks so different visually, some don't believe there could be a fully structured LBP-like game supporting it.

this game is everything i want a lot of the time, to just "play". imagine and create with an intuitive workflow. I hope we actually get this.

To those who don't know how this works, here's my write up on it from a different thread.

So you'll be playing a game, like a shooter set in a war-torn country, and bam! You see a polar bear. You approach that shit and get sent to a world of sliding cuddly bears.

That sounds insane.

The biggest differences between this and LBP and other games of its ilk is the interconnectivity. I'm assuming that if you allow it, an activator will appear in the levels you play, or the levels you create. Maybe at random, or maybe on purpose, but that activator will stand out, and when messed with, transports you to the next realm.

So if I make a fighter where you are P1 as a weird expy of Guile vs Ryu, you might start the first round and win, but hey, what is that skull on the floor? Pick that up and throw it at Ryu to activate a Mortal Kombat clip that someone made, which probably has an activator in it as well.

I'm just guessing, but it'd be pretty safe to say you can interact with these activators, like playing the piano or whatnot, to start the next section.

That in itself is a huge difference between the usual create-a-game titles. You are actively switching between these worlds in a seamless manner, and being able to interact with all of them in some way.

The bonus to being able to alter stuff made from others means levels can be churned out at a faster pace, and I'm betting they'll have filters ala LBP, but maybe through the pause menu.

You can probably make some pretty fucked up, nightmare-ish fueled things with this, some of which would force the player to actually participate in running (or spooking) something. Man I cannot wait to see what happens with this title.

Have they said that the Playstation Camera would be required for this? Or will it work without it?

Infamous: Second Son used the gyros etc to track the position of the controller to do spray painting mechanics. It wasn't too accurate so maybe we will need the camera.

Shin-Ra

Have they said that the Playstation Camera would be required for this? Or will it work without it?
You'd need the camera for this kind of free form 3D input, yes. Otherwise you're just moving a 2D cursor on the screen with gyro aiming. Accelerometers on their own aren't up to the task of tracking position accurately.

2DpE9G.gif

The_Lump

Banned

Quite the broad assumption-fest you got going there bud... Maybe wait till there's more info? Maybe try it? Maybe have a little faith that it might work?

It would be a sad world to live in if, because we assume the majority don't have the creativity or patience, we didn't even bother trying to experiment with new ideas and devs didn't stretch to do something outside the average consumer's comfort zone. Very sad indeed.

J Range

People will have their doubts. Mind you, nobody thought lbp was going to be as ambitious as it was, not even me!

I'm unsure how we will be able to animate things without it being torture, but I'm excited as the prospects of just walking around and creating static 3d scapes. But we know MM will go further, and we'll be blown away and immersed like never before.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
xTiTne7wqJEK75Js8o.gif

Well yeah, did look better before I uploaded it.

Cheers! So we have:

A handful of sculptures
A weird bacon creature
A gold robot boxer
A three winged fighting plane
A game in which you knock down blocks
Tearaway (a very accurate likeness)
Sky diving through smoke hoops
A walk through a house
An eagle flying
A mech
A tank game
A platform/puzzler with a blob
A lighthouse rotating in 3D
A house in a glade
A spaceman
Ancient ruins
A guy in a chair in front of a round window with radial light
A landscape with a waterfall
And a couple I can't quite make out including one with a spring.

Many of which do not share an aesthetic

DavidDesu

I think it's wise to watch the Dreams reveal at E3 2015 and then go back after that and watch the very first reveal of their basic idea here... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TYY-J3ckeSI

I think it makes a bit more sense that way.

I really hope that creating scenes and animating them is powerful but relatively simple. I'd love to play around creating scenes and doing it all by myself. It's the sort of thing that requires a hell of a lot of software knowledge to do properly on a computer, using very stuffy work flows that sap your will to live! If this game really lets you create the kinds of things they've shown off so far it looks very powerful indeed. I imagine the artistic style of what you've got to work with and the visual style of the rendering engine might give it a certain look that you can't escape, but outside of that it seems there's a lot of scope.

I'm hoping that we can set the scene, i.e. by sculpting our own models and bringing in already made ones from other users, and then we can animate each object/character one at a time, like on a loop. Animate one character's movements, then go to another character while that plays back and record that characters animation and so on... I hope it can let you build it up like that. Considering how easy it is to "puppet" with Move, and the game featuring logic such as moving the characters feet automatically, you could create some really detailed things with this. No you probably won't be able to recreate a scene from a movie, but you could probably create a cool artistic take on it instead. I will have to make my own Star Wars animations!

AHH Paris Games Week is too far away. (Oh and I'm assuming this game really will be best played in Morpheus. This thing could be unreal!)

panda-zebra

if dreams offers creation of even a fraction of the things i'm imagining, and with morpheus support, i can see the already limited time i spend arsing around making games for long dead hardware vanishing to nil... enoying more of the art/design end of things, something so accessible and immediate has an almost frightening potential.

I'm also reminded of a conversation I had with a level designer friend a few years back where we discussed what game design might be in another 15 or 20 years time. I wonder if seeing this kind of thing appear now has him moving closer to my opinion that his career prospects in the longer term look pretty fooked, as the designing of experiences becomes a more creative and less technical discipline.

pixelation

Its a good thing unlike other publishers who are trying to milk more. Sony tries to balance sequels and new IP's more compared to others and always trying to push the boundaries of the gaming about what it can do with new things even if its risky but they try as it provides diversity and games for everyone even the user base for the game they are experimenting is minor. This is why PlayStation is a big success as they tried to cater everyone and invest more in gaming which can be proved from their studios count and risky projects in order to evolve gaming.

Agreed, if anything Sony taking big risks like this should be applauded. Speaking for myself... i can hardly wait to see more from this game!

Friction

No idea what i watched. Looks interesting though. Dont think my kids will dig it. Creation = minecraft these days. Tried to sell them on lbp and project spark, no appeal. This looks much more adult than lbp.

DavidDesu

Don't know if it's been mentioned elsewhere, but the Media Molecule E3 video from Gamersyde is definitely running 60fps, and it does state "Everything you see was created on PS4", which I presume means just that, and there's no clever wording to mean something else.

This thing is definitely Morpheus compatible! I know they've more or less hinted strongly at it, but it's good to see more evidence that it could be VR compatible.

This game is going to be incredible (look at the rendering in that Bear vs Zombies scene, some impressive real looking textures on the zombies and bear, only visible in full quality Gamersyde, clip, it's kind of lost in YT compression). Great lighting too. Cannot wait for this!

Eggbok

Don't know if it's been mentioned elsewhere, but the Media Molecule E3 video from Gamersyde is definitely running 60fps, and it does state "Everything you see was created on PS4", which I presume means just that, and there's no clever wording to mean something else.

This thing is definitely Morpheus compatible! I know they've more or less hinted strongly at it, but it's good to see more evidence that it could be VR compatible.

This game is going to be incredible (look at the rendering in that Bear vs Zombies scene, some impressive real looking textures on the zombies and bear, only visible in full quality Gamersyde, clip, it's kind of lost in YT compression). Great lighting too. Cannot wait for this!

I honestly expect this to be a game launching with Morpheus.

Jigorath

Banned

They'll probably have a full reveal at PGW. Their E3 demo was just to get people talking about the game. Unfortunately it seems to have been overshadowed a bit by Horizon+Uncharted as well as the triple megaton of FFVII+TLG+Shenmue but what can you do. For Media Molecule I'm there day one.

DavidDesu

They'll probably have a full reveal at PGW. Their E3 demo was just to get people talking about the game. Unfortunately it seems to have been overshadowed a bit by Horizon+Uncharted as well as the triple megaton of FFVII+TLG+Shenmue but what can you do. For Media Molecule I'm there day one.

Me too. I'm not even much of a LBP/Tearaway fan. This looks like MM's most interesting, potentially huge thing that they've ever worked on. This is my most anticipated game now. I'm more excited for Morpheus launching, playing stuff like Rigs, Summer Lesson and then this tops it all. As much as I love Uncharted, and it will be glorious, I expect I will spend more time in Morpheus than I do playing anything else.

MM opened their website for Dreams and its beautiful: http://dreams.mediamolecule.com

They say about this game as
Dreams™ is a space where you go to play and experience the dreams of Media Molecule and our community. It’s also a space in which to create your own dreams, whether they’re games, art, films, music or anything in-between and beyond.

So we have dreams already created by MM to play just like LBP right after we buy the game and will expand with community dreams in the future.

Top Bottom