• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Report: Dreams PS5 and PC Version was cancelled

Draugoth

Gold Member
According to new information shared by Lance McDonald during a Twitch broadcast, the PC and PlayStation 5 versions of Dreams have been canceled.

Lance McDonald claims that this new enhanced version of the game was practically ready, but ended up being canceled at the last minute after layoffs at Media Molecule.

For those who don't know, in October 2023 it was officially revealed to the public that Media Molecule had laid off around 20 employees, with the studio having a total of 135 employees (October figures).

The enhanced edition of Dreams would feature several new features, such as support for Ray-Tracing and even mouse and keyboard support in the PlayStation 5 version.

Dr_Ifto

If its nearly ready, laying off 20 people isnt too much to get it over the line. Might as well suck as much monetization as they can from the dud.

Naval gazing wankery which I always knew would be bullshit has been binned. Shocker.

The amount of people thinking this hunk of trash was going to change the industry always amused me.

tmlDan

does anyone really care tho? I never had interest in it, i always hoped they would move on to make actual games

mortal

Gold Member
Well, that's a shame if true. I think the PC gaming communities would've given that game a second wind.

This studio's last decent game on a home console was released in...2011. The Tearaway in 2013 for the Vita and that was it.

Dreams should've been released in both consoles and PC though. I really think this would've found an audience there.

Damn, that sucks. One of the few games that made sense for PC, and I was also hoping they'd launch a storefront or way for creators to sell their own games.

Well, that other part could still happen, but very likely not since there is no current-gen version coming about.

Naval gazing wankery which I always knew would be bullshit has been binned. Shocker.

The amount of people thinking this hunk of trash was going to change the industry always amused me.

No one said this was going to "change the industry". That's just you projecting there.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
If Sony cut MM people and doesn't want to bother releasing PS5/PC versions that are almost done then it shows Sony has given up on Dreams. It should had been one of the first PC ports. It might had caught on with the PC crowd if it came out in 2020 or 2021 to go with Horizon and DG.

If MM's next game is another kind of community creation game, it should be a PC day one kind of game to give it its best chance for success. LBP and Dreams kind of games usually dont go far with the console crowd.

Really odd... and doesn't quite add up. Clearly, we're not hearing the full story here. A game can be finished, but bug-ridden.

For them to outright cancel the release of a finished title while the studio hasn't been shutdown (yet), doesn't totally add up. Unless it was clear that they weren't going to be able to continue supporting it, but I think most people feel like Dreams would be more successful on PC than PS4.

It's key to remember that the game released in 2020, scored an 89 on metacritic 8.7 user score.

Pure speculation but the feedback must have been that Sony didn't want to support the game after Roblox has reached the level that it's at. Also makes sense that Sony allowed Roblox on PlayStation for the first time around the same time of the layoffs.

If Sony cut MM people and doesn't want to bother releasing PS5/PC versions that are almost done then it shows Sony has given up on Dreams. It should had been one of the first PC ports. It might had caught on with the PC crowd if it came out in 2020 or 2021 to go with Horizon and DG.

If MM's next game is another kind of community creation game, it should be a PC day one kind of game to give it its best chance for success. LBP and Dreams kind of games usually dont go far with the console crowd.

Just because a game is cancelled doesn't mean the assets would be utilized for the future. I do agree that any chance Media Molecule has of not getting closed down lies in reaching a PC crowd.

If any Sony studio could benefit from their PC strategy, it's them, but maybe it's too late. They've lost most of their founders and likely most of their identity.

No one said this was going to "change the industry". That's just you projecting there.

I'm not going to go back and find the specific posts. But trust me. People were saying it was revolutionary and games would never be the same again.

This was the perfect example of a badly run company getting too much budget and not enough management.

Sounds like you're the wanker

Most likely. Doesn't stop me being right and that MM have been frauds for a while and they got found out.

Last edited:
Top Bottom