• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MediaMocule's Dreams - Why isn't this everyone's #1 most wanted?

KevinKeene

Banned
Dreams has been on my radar for quite some time now. But just now, I took the time to watch this video presentation that shows a first glimpse about the creation of logic and animation. You can watch it here:

Ist that ... incredible? From the looks Dreams seems to be not just some game, no: It's a complex game creation software, made accessible to the masses!

Want to draw a picture? Pick a pen and paper. Want to tell a story? Type it down. Want to make a movie? Push record on your smartphone. Want to make a game? Um, work yourself through complicated design software, learn at least one programming language to be on the safe side, and then spend weeks creating objects that need to be animated and ... etc.. - The point is: making games has been exclusive to those dedicating their entire life to it until now.

The promise of Dreams is that you can create whatever game you want. 2d-platformer, text adventure, shooter, story-based adventure, even a VR space shooter! If, and I'll keep saying if until we know for sure, but IF this 'game' pans out to be what is promised, then everybody should want this. If not for creating games on your own, then to play the onslaught of games ceated by others.

I've shown others this game, but their reaction was 'huh, so this is like Little Big Planet? Meh'. So tell me: Am I missing something that prevents Dreams from greatness? Because if not, then I think this is my #1 hype most wanted :)

Gold_Loot

You’re not the only one. I have a friend that’s been (obsessively) following the game since it’s reveal and now that VR at launch is a go, it’s on my day 1 list as well.

I think a good press conference showing would get people talking about it again.

Solo Act

To answer the question that you've asked, making games doesn't sound anywhere near as fun as playing them to me. And if I'm going to "play" a video game, I will probably enjoy something like Cyberpunk or Just Cause quite a bit more than Dreams. That is why it isn't my "#1 most wanted".

-MD-

It honestly doesn't interest me at all.

I know if the video in the OP is putting me to sleep the game will too, I just have no desire to spend dozens of hours learning how to construct my own mediocre 5-minute game that some strangers online might play.

Last edited:

Snoopycat

Banned
I don't get it. Everytime I watch a video all they do is talk bout how you can make anything and then they make some crappy platformer.

EBE

I haven't seen much 'big' coverage of the game. So that might hurt. Plus the content creator/consumer split always favors the latter, limiting the main conceptual appeal of the product.

Zannegan

I dunno. It's a neat technology--innovative--but in practice it feels like a sort of interactive puppet show maker, which is not something I'm personally interested in. Maybe when they put out an inevitable demo that will convince me that this is something I just have to have. I have been wrong about creation-centric games before, most notably Banjo-Kazooie N&B. For now though, I'm just not sure what I would do with it.

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
I can't get excited for it simply because LBP taught me one thing, that I'm nowhere near creative enough to make something good, and neither were most people. For every cool creation, I had to dig through 15 absolute garbage ones. I don't know if it got better later on, but that was my initial experience with the first two LBP games.

Grinchy

Banned
Revealing a game and then spending years very quietly working on it is a recipe for kinda pissing me off. I'm still looking forward to it like crazy, especially for VR. But just don't reveal games that are 4 years away.

Gold_Loot

I can understand that some people feel that they won’t put the holding tools to good use ( myself included ) but let’s not forget that’s there’s a healthy single player game here as well. Not only that , but the community support will be big as well.

This won’t be tied down to just platforming. But virtually all genres will get represented here. Imagine the kind of crazy shooter, horror games, first person adventures and so on, that we could do. And in VR no less? :love:

TLZ

Banned
Because I haven't seen gameplay. And if all this will do is just create games, I don't think I'm interested.

Cause Project Spark was near for a minute too. I don’t see what the fuss is about. I’m sure people will make amazing things, but we’ve had similar games.

Once it drops I can see if it delivers on its claims and has way more substance

Vawn

Banned
Two main reasons.

First, I still have very little idea what it will be like to play.

Second, I found Little Big Planet and Tearaway to be cute, but pretty lacking in fun to play. I just don't have a lot of faith Media Molecule will make a game that I'll personally enjoy.

1. It got announced early and has been "delayed" a lot. So it has fell on the backburner for most.
2. The marketing and build-up to a release period hasn't happened yet.
3. Dreams is the kind of thing that some might be skeptical about, so it'll depend on word of mouth or great displays of the concept. Whether a small demo or a showing on the E3 conference.
4. It's amongst my most wanted, but again look at 1 and 2.

KevinKeene

Banned
I sorta agree that they've not shown enough visual variety so far. It seems to be possible, but everything they've shown uses cutesy puppet-characters.

Hopefully, they'll show more non-platforming games (action-adventures, combat-focused games, games using human characters, etc.) so that we can see what's really possible in terms of gameplay. I'm mostly wondering how extensively you can create a character, i.e. having wall jumps, crouching, sliding, sword combos, shooting arrows, throwing bombs, mounting a vehicle or creature, etc.,basically: could you create a Zelda-game? ;o

I've seen some nice elements that show that at least platformers shouldn't be a problem. The rest needs to be seen.

Next time I create a video game I expect to be paid to do so.

You'll be expected to have gone through years of learning how to make games, too, though. Dreams is free of either expectation :)

Shifty

Because I already have Unreal 4 and pico-8 for when I want to get creative.

Dreams does look very cool though. I'm interested to see just how much the final product can do.

MayauMiao

Dreams look like not my cup of tea. I appreciate what MM and Sony tries to deliver but I think most gamers could not be bothered to create stuff as they tend to enjoy what is already being made and desire to break the world.

It's as exciting as a canvas and paint is to a mass audience. In the right hands with a lot of talent it has limitless potential. I'd wager in the common person's hands though, it's really not all the great. Just like LBP, i'll get it a few years after release after all the awesome creators make interesting things with it.

God Enel

Problem I habe with Dreams ad LBP is that I'm not creative enough. This one looks even more complicated to create a peoper level than lbp. There is only a handful of people that can create some awesome stages.
Though I would love to like the game as I'm always pro experimental games.

kungfuian

I will buy it to play around at creating in VR. The creative suite of tools looks amazing. I'm imagining having the same type of fun with it as I did with Tilt Brush.

But the pre-made dev game that comes with it does not look very good imo (should say it doesn't appeal to me on a personal level). What they have shown is very beautiful to look at but reminds me of the type of shallow mechanics that made lbp creations not so interesting from a gameplay perspective. Lots and lots of tools focused around world creation but very little that lead to interesting game play loops/mechanics. If these tools are there in the game then MM need to show them off much better. Also navigating through the endless poorly made user content is a chore.

I'm still on the platform that Dreams should be free to play and built right into the PS4 UI or come with all VR sets built in. Not because it's not worth full price but because I think it's too valuable to restrict the user base and Sony would be better to leverage the Dreams tool set to create and promote an ongoing culture of fan made creations tied to all their other IP. We have a Share button. Dreams could be the Create button so to speak.

Melo0nFarm3r

Neo Member
Dreams has been on my radar for quite some time now. But just now, I took the time to watch this video presentation that shows a first glimpse about the creation of logic and animation. You can watch it here:

Ist that ... incredible? From the looks Dreams seems to be not just some game, no: It's a complex game creation software, made accessible to the masses!

Want to draw a picture? Pick a pen and paper. Want to tell a story? Type it down. Want to make a movie? Push record on your smartphone. Want to make a game? Um, work yourself through complicated design software, learn at least one programming language to be on the safe side, and then spend weeks creating objects that need to be animated and ... etc.. - The point is: making games has been exclusive to those dedicating their entire life to it until now.

The promise of Dreams is that you can create whatever game you want. 2d-platformer, text adventure, shooter, story-based adventure, even a VR space shooter! If, and I'll keep saying if until we know for sure, but IF this 'game' pans out to be what is promised, then everybody should want this. If not for creating games on your own, then to play the onslaught of games ceated by others.

I've shown others this game, but their reaction was 'huh, so this is like Little Big Planet? Meh'. So tell me: Am I missing something that prevents Dreams from greatness? Because if not, then I think this is my #1 hype most wanted :)

It looks fantastic but I personally can't be bothered, it looks a lot like work.

It's always disappointing with these kind of things (LBP) that 99.9% of people just make platform games.

Tarkus98

To answer the question that you've asked, making games doesn't sound anywhere near as fun as playing them to me. And if I'm going to "play" a video game, I will probably enjoy something like Cyberpunk or Just Cause quite a bit more than Dreams. That is why it isn't my "#1 most wanted".
But theoretically with Dreams you can create your own Cyberpunk or Just Cause game. From what I’ve seen it appears MM will be delivering a very comprehensive tool set that actually looks relatively “easy” to use.

Geki-D

Banned
I'm already hyped, but MM really need to show us a full level working in the game. This is the closest they've got but they still just stop playing when the game goes 3D. Show us something with a beginning, middle and end, please that isn't 10secs long. I'm also a little worried about how big areas can be, they always show a map, run around in it then, load in another. I want to know what the scale of an area we can make and play in is. Are we talking linear stuff only or can we remake A Link to the Past's overworld, or San Andreas? Also can we have saves in our games? Invent systems? I want to know how deep we can go and MM isn't really saying much besides how cool looking the stuff we can design is.

I think there's a bit of concern in the quality of content that the average user creates when given the tools to make something. Mario Maker and even Minecraft are good examples of that. Some people make masterpieces, but more often than not it wouldn't even qualify as soundly utilitarian. If there's really good systems for curating or otherwise sorting up the good content, I think it'll do pretty well.

Last edited:
No release date means everyone is going to be less hyped about it. I am sure people won't sleep on it once the open beta drops.

Alx

The displayed creations (by professional devs) are very impressive and the engine seems powerful, but every time they show the process behind it, it's like watching a professional using photoshop. There are menus flying everywhere and you think "there's no way I'll be able to do that !".
Also it seems very focused on the visual part. I liked the concept of Project Spark better because it took most of the graphics out of your hands with a very intuitive interface and predefined models, and let you play with game design and programming instead.

KonradLaw

Because most people want to play games more than they want to create them. And sure, other people will create content, but let's be honest..no matter how good the tools and engine are the end result won't be able to compete with normal games designed by professional teams.

KevinKeene

Banned
Because most people want to play games more than they want to create them. And sure, other people will create content, but let's be honest..no matter how good the tools and engine are the end result won't be able to compete with normal games designed by professional teams.

From what I've seen, you'll be able to make games at least on par with quality indie-titles. More, if youbput in the effort.

As I said, MM needs to show off a proper singleplayer-game with a narrative that is not a cutesy platformer to prove that these are possible, too. But if it works out ... well, I've got some game ideas. Especially from books I've read. Better ready yourself for some Lovecraftian cosmic horror ;p (*ends up making a platformer where you hop on Cthullhu's head 3 times*).

alienator

i dont get it, Dreams seems to be made in a way that even the most uncreative people on this earth can still make something good looking, and still they seem to moan about it.

as a creative person myself, the modelling tools (or sculpting ones especially) look like a wet dream (geddit?) , the music creation tools look mindblowing, and the ease of creating stuff blows my mind.

yet we live in an age where people just want to teabag others in online shooters and seem to have the attention span of a shrimp sometimes, so i guess thats a hard part of selling this game towards those people.

i dont really care if i play a game for 80 hours or so, or try to create one myself in 80.

i just want the beta at E3 !!@!!

MoogleMan

This is me. I'm not in the least bit interested in making games. I just want to play them.

KonradLaw

From what I've seen, you'll be able to make games at least on par with quality indie-titles. More, if youbput in the effort.
Yeah, there;s no way in hell majority of stuff in Dreams his will be able to reach the level of any good indie game. You seriously underestimate the ammount of effort and time creating something good takes, no matter how great the tools are. For Dreams game to reach that level it would effectively need to have a team work on it full time.

Last edited:

Psykodad

Banned
Yeah, there;s no way in hell majority of stuff in Dreams his will be able to reach the level of any good indie game. You seriously underestimate the ammount of effort and time creating something good takes, no matter how great the tools are. For Dreams game to reach that level it would effectively need to have a team work on it full time.
You can always use other people's creations to use in your own. Everybody will automatically get full credit and you could possibly even create a collective project that way, in what I assume might be a very easy way.

I don't really understand the concerns, tbh.

KevinKeene

Banned

Nobody expects that? The majority of anything is shit.

What matters is having the tools to make something great, and from what I've seen, you'll absolutely be able to reach the quality of good indie games and maybe more.

You don't judge a creation tool by its worst, but its best results. Now, to be able to find the latter is on MM to ensure. Or you'll browse NeoGAF to play our games ;p

I found the concept interesting when I played the first LBP. But now that the novelty has worn off, I couldn't care less. I prefer 1 good game than 3,000 bad ones.

JimiNutz

Banned
I remember similar things being said on GAF about Little Big Planet before it came out and I struggled to enjoy LBP.

That being said the game creations tools do look incredibly impressive in Dreams and I'm really excited to see some of the games that are created by the community. The VR implementation sounds really cool as well and I'll be willing to try it once the price of a Pro and VR come down a bit in the UK.

wipeout364

I haven’t really liked any game they have made so far. I like their art work but mechanics always leave me feeling cold. LBP and tear away just didn’t feel that great as a game to me ;they both looked amazing but I grew bored and didn’t finish any of them.

I quite like tinkering with stuff like this. But really this is like ‘babies first game engine’. If you are serious about making a game then you are going to be using Unity or Unreal. The free tools and asset stores available today are amazing.

But I do expect some cool stuff to be made with this, though it will never be more than a game within a game.

KevinKeene

Banned
I quite like tinkering with stuff like this. But really this is like ‘babies first game engine’. If you are serious about making a game then you are going to be using Unity or Unreal. The free tools and asset stores available today are amazing.

But I do expect some cool stuff to be made with this, though it will never be more than a game within a game.

Have you watched the complete video I posted in the OP? I've been trying to get into Unity, but the jump from the accessibility shown in Dreams to Uniyy is wider than the grand canyon. Unity has you watching an extensive tutorial just to create a ball that you can move on a surface. Meanwhile I don't see what makes Dreams 'just a game'. As I said, I'm weary until the final product is shown, but even now it looks like an extensive game creation software. When you can make 2d-platformers an VR-spaceship shooters, I'm not sure why Dreams deserves the negative tone of your posting.

Ar¢tos

I think it will take sometime after the "game" is released for the hype to build. After some talented people create their games/levels and it becomes popular on YT/twitch, then the hype will grow. At the moment people are unsure if it is even game, or how beginner friendly it is in general. The nature of the "game" makes it very hard to promote properly.

Last edited:
Have you watched the complete video I posted in the OP? I've been trying to get into Unity, but the jump from the accessibility shown in Dreams to Uniyy is wider than the grand canyon. Unity has you watching an extensive tutorial just to create a ball that you can move on a surface. Meanwhile I don't see what makes Dreams 'just a game'. As I said, I'm weary until the final product is shown, but even now it looks like an extensive game creation software. When you can make 2d-platformers an VR-spaceship shooters, I'm not sure why Dreams deserves the negative tone of your posting.

Yeah I have already watched most of the stuff released on Dreams. I like it but I just don’t see it as ever been considered a serious way of making indie games. More of something that is fun to play around with and experiment. Real games that are good take a LOT of work.

It will be more immediately accessible than Unity for sure, but not as powerful or limitless in the long run.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
The only hope for this "game" commercially is if it becomes popular with streamers and children.

Top Bottom